• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Has Anyone Else Seen The Harlequin?

escargot1 said:
Just saying.
I think the general public just thought "fxcking middle class twxts, go back to your piano lessons and stop trying so hard to be cool."

Back on topic, I find Harlequins perfectly fine. But Morris Dancers, they worry me...

Just when you thought it was safe to got to the seaside, they're trying to revive Pierrots

The-Pier-Echoes-a-pierrot-006.jpg

Be warned, if you enter "Harlequin" into Google image search (as I did to see how they look different to a "standard" clown figure) you are greeted with several images of badly deformed babies. Not pleasant. :cry:

paulsamfreya said:
Be warned, if you enter "Harlequin" into Google image search (as I did to see how they look different to a "standard" clown figure) you are greeted with several images of badly deformed babies. Not pleasant. :cry:

Yes, quite distressing, some of those photos.

There's a good Wiki article (with illustrations) on the development of the Harlequinade characters, Joseph Grimaldi probably being the most famous Clown. And you'd be hard pushed to better Jean-Louis Barrault's turn as the defining Pierrot, Baptiste Debureau, in Les Enfants du Paradis, (which also features Harlequin and Columbine) a rightful contender for the greatest film ever made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequinade

Dr_Baltar said:
Do the Harlequinphobes also find Pierrot disturbing?

Interestingly enough, no I don't find Pierrot disturbing or Columbine.

Oh and Harley Quinn from batman doesn't bother me either, she's pretty cool. It's the classic image Harlequin I don't like, all diamond patterned and masked.

*shudders*

I know its not the same, but as much as I love the Dr Phibes film made by Hammer, the clockwork band were always very creepy (which they were supposed to be). I just wonder if with clowns and harlequins, is there something 'otherworldly' about them?

linesmachine said:
escargot1 said:
Just saying.
I think the general public just thought "fxcking middle class twxts, go back to your piano lessons and stop trying so hard to be cool."

Back on topic, I find Harlequins perfectly fine. But Morris Dancers, they worry me...

A mixture of Harlequin/Morris dance eh? Well, this Morris side freaked me out big time at last years Shrewsbury Folk Festival -
PigDykeMolly600x375.jpg
[/img]

Saw a photo of a quite alarming clown tattoo today. :shock:

Harlequin phobia

As a youngster,I was terrified of those old cylindrical metal post 'boxes'.I was convinced that
concealed within,were 'jack-in-the-box' harlequinesque horrors that would leap out and snatch me away into their lairs,as a trapdoor spider does with its prey.

I've seen that Troupe on the photo in Peterborough, we made a very wide detour around them as they tried to 'involve' people [which doesn't wash very well with me and would have ended up in something embarrassing happening...]. I think what I don't like about Clowns, Pierrots and such like is that they try to be funny or different but you know fully well that they are the least funny or different people you can get, hence they have to dress up as one of those persona's. If people are really funny or different, they don't need to dress up. That is what creeps me out about them, they are somehow false. :?

Dr_Baltar said:
Do the Harlequinphobes also find Pierrot disturbing?

Don't be silly.
He's little... and Belgian!

That's the Pig Dyke Molly, they're a Molly side, not a Morris - get it right! ;)

Dingo667 said:
I've seen that Troupe on the photo in Peterborough, we made a very wide detour around them as they tried to 'involve' people [which doesn't wash very well with me and would have ended up in something embarrassing happening...]. I think what I don't like about Clowns, Pierrots and such like is that they try to be funny or different but you know fully well that they are the least funny or different people you can get, hence they have to dress up as one of those persona's. If people are really funny or different, they don't need to dress up. That is what creeps me out about them, they are somehow false. :?

A friend of mine used to be a member of that troupe.
I guess you could say that she's not that funny.

I'm not sure I've ever been scared by a clown or harlequin, although I find clowns quite ugly. I think harlequins are kind of...pretty, some of them, and I have a doll of one, a small porcelin one in a golden suite. Once my best friend gave me a big harlquin clown doll bigger than a barbie doll that set on a swing, and over my bed. I used to be creeped out by it and I just gave it away a year or so ago...it used to swing over my head at night :p Except it was always because someone would hit with their head and then leave, but it felt supernatural of course.

Anyone know if the harlequin is mythological figure which goes back to medieval age or the antiquity like the green man?

This is what I found out on Wikipedia:

The name of Harlequin derives from Old French Hellequin, leader of la maisnie Hellequin, thought to be related to the Old English Herla, a character often identified with Woden.[1][2]

Italian Arlecchino by folk etymology was associated with Latin Herculinus, "little Hercules".[citation needed]

Although illustrations of Arlecchino have only been dated as far back as 1572, the character had existed before this date. The origins of the name are uncertain: some say it comes from Dante's Inferno, XXI, XXII and XXIII; one of the devils in Hell having the name Alichino.

Popular theories suggest that he may have come from France, Africa, or Italy.[3]

The notion that the Harlequin motif grew out of France is evidenced by Hellequin, a stock character in French passion plays. Hellequin, a black-faced emissary of the devil, is said to have roamed the countryside with a group of demons chasing the damned souls of evil people to Hell. The physical appearance of Hellequin offers an explanation for the traditional colours of Harlequin's mask (red and black).[3]

The Harlequin character may have been based on or influenced by the Zanni archetype who, although a slow thinker, was acrobatic and nimble.[4] Interpreted thus, Harlequin's distinctive motley costume may be a stylized variant of Zanni's plain white garb, designed to reflect the ad-hoc patching necessary to prevent the garment's degradation.

Wikipedia

The name Woden is derived from the norse god name Odin.

Whoever, wrote that entry is pushing his luck with the identifcation with Woden/Odin.

From Dictionary.com:

[C16: from Old French Herlequin, Hellequin leader of band of demon horsemen, perhaps from Middle English Herle king (unattested) King Herle, mythical being identified with Woden]

Dictionary.com

It's from the Online Etymology Dictionary, other dictionaries go back only as far as the Middle French, I think the compiler of the Online Etymology Dictionary is being a bit imaginative....

Mea culpa, many years ago I picked up the (apparently erroneous) folk-etymology that "Harle-" was cognate with Hole, Hohle and Hell.

OldTimeRadio said:
Mea culpa, many years ago I picked up the (apparently erroneous) folk-etymology that "Harle-" was cognate with Hole, Hohle and Hell.

Harle Davison: A real Hells Angel.

I used to be quite frightened by the sight of a harlequin that decorated the side of a litter basket/tin my nan had back in the sixties...
Um, sorry - that's such a lame addition to this creepy thread, isn't it?
:(

I must add, however, that it fascinates me that we are so aware of these things, beings like the 'fey' or whatever, that they are something that we feel exists somehow. Even if we never prove such things are here how the heck have we come up with them, why do they bother/fascinate us? I know they say dogs and animals 'see' things, but what the hell are they?

tonylovell said:
I must add, however, that it fascinates me that we are so aware of these things, beings like the 'fey' or whatever, that they are something that we feel exists somehow. Even if we never prove such things are here how the heck have we come up with them, why do they bother/fascinate us? I know they say dogs and animals 'see' things, but what the hell are they?

Also, there have been a staggering number of accounts through history that have people actually encountering such entities. Many of these episodes have been multiply-witnseed.

The one that most fascinates me is the Northern Argentinian "dwarf" who terrorized both police officers and soldiers some eight or 10 years ago.

I remember the Harlequin biscuit man! Being a little kid, with no exposure to Italian culture, I had no idea who he was and he looked a bit rum to me too.

The widespread but hitherto uncollected Harequin sightings remind me of our own dear Dogheaded Men. They too appear at various times and places with no coherent mythology to explain them.

Escargot, this reminds me of one of the most fascinating (though, alas, un-verifiable) web postings I've ever read.

The poster claimed that she'd been reading aloud to her five-year-old son in his bedroom when the boy suddenly began staring into his open closet. His eyes seemed to track something visible only to himself as it exited the closet, crossed the room and then vanished.

He could only describe what he'd seen as having been a "dog-headed man."

Approximately six years later the boy raced home from grammar school with a borrowed textbook containing (he said) what he'd seen in his closet.

It was an illustration of the ancient Egyptian god Anubis.

Back