• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Liverpool

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The Slaughterhouse: Most haunted pub in Liverpool?

Saw this on the front page and as I've been a couple of times I was intrigued (esp. as the spookiest thing I've seen there, apart from the toilets, is a comedian dying on stage and still being able to walk off at the en of his set ;) ):

Walking with the dead

Apr 26 2004

Mike Chapple Meets A Ghost Hunter In Liverpool's Oldest - And Most Haunted? - Pub, Daily Post

"BEFORE I bought this pub about two years ago, I was a non believer. I don't believe in God or ghosts - when you're dead you're dead. We're just big bags of water that's all."

These are the unlikely words of Adam Franklin on a sharp, bright spring morning with the sun dappling the tables of the city centre's oldest pub, The Slaughterhouse in Fenwick Street.

A hostelry since 1723, under Adam's management it's become a thriving, vibrant boozer with olde world charm, whopping Ulster fry breakfasts and a popular comedy club down in the cellar.

Ah! the cellar. We'll come to that later.

Anyway, despite the pub's popularity, tales had reached these ears of strange visitations and a bar staff reluctant to spend time alone there.

Especially so late on at locking-up time when a wicked wind, whipping in from the Mersey Bar, is rattling the rafters.

Adam understands - he has, as they say, been there. "About three weeks after we arrived, it was two in the morning, I was standing by the bar after everyone else had gone home," said the 32-year-old ex-RAF man from Ellesmere Port.

"This bloke appeared and walked across the room right in front of me. As he walked past, he kept glaring at me intently until he disappeared.

"I can go into dark cellars on my own because I'm a cynical, pragmatic businessman who doesn't believe in these things, remember, but this had me completely spooked. I just bolted for the door went home - and didn't want to come back.

"I've seen the film - the young, good looking, dude always gets it first and I didn't want it to be me." Since then, of course, he has returned many times, as have the rest of the staff who've grown used to the shades that occasionally flick across the corner of the eye.

Martyn Jones and Brendan McAleer are two of the barmen who regularly see and hear the spooks. Like Adam, neither is keen to be on their own for lock-up.

Says Brendan: "After everyone else has gone I've been here in the bar with a pint of Guinness and you can hear the toilet doors downstairs opening and shutting, opening and shutting, and you know there's no-one down there."

Hasn't he ever gone to have a look?

Brendan delivers a look that questions the inquirer's sanity.

Figures have also been captured on the cellar's security CCTV cameras. Adam, Martyn and Brendan know that they're phantoms. Why? Because they've watched as people walked through them.

Many of the comedians have also had strange experiences.

BRENDAN Riley, along with other witnesses, saw a glowing ping-ball-sized orb of light - traditionally an indication of paranormal activity - flash past him.

Others are afraid to stay the night in the green room upstairs which female comic Janey Godley claims has two ghostly inhabitants. She is also petrified of the cellar stairs adjacent to the toilets. She claims there's something evil there.

"I think there's potentially a few dead slaughtermen down here or maybe a few restless cows," jokes Adam uneasily as we later pace the gloomy cellar bar, which possesses an undeniable edge to its atmosphere, a sort of low voltage shock that tingles the spine and shoulder blades.

Adam's aware of the popularity of UK Living TV's Most Haunted, in which flamboyant Liverpool medium Derek Acorah flounces through ghostly houses accompanied by a screamingly hyperactive Yvette Fielding and clodhopping cameramen making enough noise to, pardon the pun, raise the dead.

He's not impressed.

He is also not especially keen on any cheap publicity gimmick to pull in more punters. But he is genuinely interested in finding out what is going on.

However, when yours truly announces that he is a very reluctant volunteer to spend a night alone in the cellar he becomes genuinely concerned.

"Even if the Post was to pay me £5,000, I wouldn't spend a night down there on my own."

Stout man that he is, he strikes a deal. He'll spend the night too and promises to bring along Brendan and Martyn for support.

For my part I decide to look for expert help.

Billy Roberts is a well known Liverpool medium and claims to come from a long line of psychics. A sickly child, he spent much of his early life in Alder Hey children's hospital with a serious bronchial disease.

It was there that he first saw dead people walk and where he developed a fear of the dark.

"The darkness would act like a screen for the lights and faces I would see there," says 57-year-old Billy.

One of his earliest recollections is, as a three-year-old, the death of the old lady who lived next door to his Wavertree home.

His mum told him that she had "gone to heaven after being taken away in the box".

What he couldn't understand was why, after the funeral, she had come in through the back door to greet him - something she continued to do periodically for years afterwards.

WHEN he was about nine, he was walking home and saw a well-dressed man drop down dead in front of him.

"He then stood up from the body, walked away and disappeared," explains Billy matter of factly.

He didn't begin nurturing his gift until his 30s.

Before that he had spent much of the 1960s and early 1970s on the road with such bands as the Kruzads - who supported the likes of the Stones, Chuck Berry and The Moody Blues - acquiring a life-threatening heroin habit along the way.

Since then he has written a number of books about the paranormal and lectured about the phenomenon in colleges and universities around the world.

Billy is relating his truncated biography 48 hours later.

It's just before midnight on bleak, cold night inside the pub's eerie, dimly-lit cellar and we've been joined by Adam, Martyn,

Brendan and Billy's business partner, Joe Bielawski.

Joe claims he harbours a healthy cynicism for the histrionics of Most Haunted but admits to wearing protection all the same, a crucifix once owned by the saint, Padre Pio.

He's also carrying a "ghostometer" a hand-held detector that measures fluctuations in magnetic fields, a reliable indicator of paranormal manifestations. When a spirit comes calling, it's supposed to emit a high oscillating pitch and its dial indicator fluctuate wildly.

At the moment, it's purring quietly.

Billy doesn't need this device though. This is a visual aid purely for our benefit - being clairvoyant and clairaudient he says he can both see and hear the dead and doesn't need a machine to know that they're there.

"The voices that I hear can be very clear like a radio on inside my head," he says. "If there was something here I'd talk to it not like I'm talking to you. It will be a voice inside my head which is very specific."

So far he has heard and seen nothing - and has not been told anything of the manifestations he is expected to encounter.

Which is the way it should be. "I'm not easily led, I'm a very sceptical medium. And not all mediums are genuine and I don't like people filling my head with all kinds of s--t before I go into a place.

"I like to go in and work it out for myself. If we had a conversation on the phone beforehand, little things would be going into my mind. It can produce what's called retrospective analysis. The subconscious mind will hold on to things and bring them out later on when it's quite easy to imagine that you've felt or seen something."

Not all images are ghosts of the dead either, he maintains.

["WHEN people frequent an establishment, they impregnate these subtle atmospheres with a sort of energy that can become visual and create images so that anyone in here alone might see an old person and surmise that its a dead person's spirit when it might be the image of somebody still living."

We decide to go walkabout. On the "evil" stairs leading out, the ghostometer begins to sound uncomfortable and Billy claims he feels a presence but nothing too strong and certainly not malevolent.

We proceed through the main upstairs bar where the rain is clattering against the windows from the empty streets outside. On the first floor landing is the green room, complete with table, settee and empty beer bottle left behind by a previous comic occupant.

Again nothing really and the ghostometer remains well behaved.

It seems a good time to ask why hauntings and why, more especially, houses?

Billy says: "If you go into an old house, sometimes you can get a lovely warm feeling. That's because of the people who lived there. They impregnate the psychic structure of the house and that becomes the representation of those people.

"And it can work the other way whereby an evil or unhappy family who've lived there will influence the minds of the people who subsequently come along."

We proceed to the top floor and it's here, at the top of the stairwell, that Billy first detects something.

"The impression that I get here is that there was some kind of self destruction that somebody committed suicide. Somebody died in this area but it must have been some time ago. It was a man who hanged himself here."

The ghostometer duly goes slightly bonkers emitting a fluctuating whine like that of the dentist's drill. We head a little more quickly back downstairs where, back in the bar, it's thought that it might be a good idea if Billy went back down in the cellar, alone this time, so as not to be distracted.

Billy, for some reason, doesn't agree.

Minutes later Joe and I are perched on stools downstairs and after a brief surf with the divining rods - this area of the city apparently being awash with ley lines which convey psychic power - Billy has placed the ghostometer at the centre of the low stage at the far end of the room.

He then retreats to another stool on the far side where he sits occasionally stroking his chin apparently preoccupied in thought.

No words are spoken. The only sound is the warble of the ghostometer in mild distress.

Ten minutes later Billy springs up and walks over. "I've just been having a conversation," he says calmly and then points at the stage.

"It's a guy sitting over there. He says his name's is Walter Langton. He worked here in the 1800s. He's very rude and bad tempered and he says he wants to do me harm. I've told him he can't. He chooses to be here. He also knows that we are here and he wants us to go. But I don't feel intimidated."

Billy then says that there is another presence on the stage. It's a middle-aged woman dressed in grubby smock and bonnet. She's possibly from the 19th century and called Meg or Mary. She's unaware of us but is apparently looking for her son.

" He was crushed to death here," adds Billy simply.

Needless to say neither Joe or I have seen or heard anything - it is, unfortunately, the drawback of the medium's trade that concrete proof is hard to produce.

Nevertheless there's an unnerving feeling that we're not alone and there's relief in finding the stairwell behind the bar - and not adjacent to Walter's alleged spot at corner of the stage - to return to a curious Adam and co upstairs.

It's now 3am and, despite his recent encounter, Billy remains surprisingly magnanimous to his erstwhile opponent.

"There's a lot of paranormal here but nothing malevolent. Walter's been here so long he just lives here now so a blessing by a priest would not make any difference."

He's asked if there are any more spirits to be uncovered here.

"I'm sure there may be - but I'm not waiting around tonight to find out," he replies.

Was that a look of amused relief on his face.

If so, the feeling, rest assured, was entirely mutual.

* BILLY Roberts can be contacted at http://www.billyroberts.co.uk or on 0151 733 3434.

Source

Ok, so I've been checking over my shoulder in this haunted school I work in for the last five minutes.
Love the pop they have at Most haunted!!!

Try the Palatine (Dublin Street), the Roscommon ( Roscommon Street) and the Green Man (near the Bridewell). Any stories ?

Apart from getting me one of them thar "ghostometers", the news item is presented somewhat sensationally.

Could the paranormal reputation of the place be linked with its macabre name? Are there other reports of manifestations?

The wallop at Most Haunted is bloody good though!

i drink in the slaughterhouse all the time and the scariest thing i ever saw was the guitarist in my old band trying to smash his guitar, 3 times, and failing miserably, giving up and carrying on playing.

Has anyone followed this up? Looked to see if there was a Walter Langton in the area at the time?
Never been to Liverpool but would love to go one day, will try and remember to pay this place a visit. Unless it's in a dodgy part of town where a Southern voiced type might get his face kicked off and become just another spirit ;)

More on Liverpool ghosts:

Things that go bump in the night

Dec 15 2004

By Mike Chapple, Daily Post

MIKE Chapple takes a tour of the city's haunted hostelries and comes across a few unexpected spirits...

"FROM ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us.'

These ye olde words of theWest Country Litany could easily be adopted by Liverpool's landlords as a prayer of their own.

The city's pubs are riddled with spectres who seem to have a special liking for the city's centre.

So in the Christmas tradition of telling ghost stories it was decided to go on a pub crawl with a difference, bringing in tow a couple of experts familiar with the ways of the dead.

Stepping forth from the shadows late last Sunday night came Merseyside-based mediums Billy Roberts and Carl Fletcher.

Together with Billy's partner and personal assistant Dolly Newkirk, we were to explore three of the pubs on the central axis of Dale Street where, if the tales are to be believed, much of the paranormal activity appears to be concentrated.

Roberts will be familiar with Daily Post readers for our ghostly stake-out at the Slaughterhouse pub in Fenwick Street in April. Then Billy had a memorable encounter with an angry spirit called Walter Langton and a woman from the early 19th century looking for her son crushed to death in an accident on the site.

This time we were to visit three pubs - Rigby's, the Poste House and The Excelsior. All of them have experienced visitations by ghostly visitors and occasionally been rattled by poltergeist activity.

Billy, Carl and Dolly, however, say little harm can come from these dealings with the unknown, preferring to believe that old adage that there is far more to be feared from the living than the dead.

Anoher 5 pages at:

Source

McAvennie said:
Has anyone followed this up? Looked to see if there was a Walter Langton in the area at the time?
Never been to Liverpool but would love to go one day, will try and remember to pay this place a visit. Unless it's in a dodgy part of town where a Southern voiced type might get his face kicked off and become just another spirit ;)

might look this up in work if i remember (working for the council has its uses sometimes i suppose)

Most fascinating.

Would be great to know whether those two names Billy came up with were visible in any historical records.

My girlfriendcomes from up that way, I'll have to ask her if she knows anything of the Pub.

Former shipyard has become a ghost town

Dec 20 2004

By Kirsti Adair, Daily Post Staff

A FEW too many things have been going bump in the night at a Merseyside shipyard.

Staff at the former Cammell Laird's site called in ghostbusters after suspicions they were not alone.

For the past six months, parascientists have been spending nights in the site buildings looking for evidence of the paranormal.

Mike Ryder, of Reddington Finance, which now owns the site, said: "I have had a number of strange experiences usually later on in the afternoon. The air in my office gets very cold and you can hear doors opening and closing. It isn't frightening but you can feel a presence.

"A number of staff have seen workers walking past their windows, they have gone outside and there has been nobody there. There have also been sightings over the years of shadowy people in boiler suits who just seem to disappear."

Mr Ryder says his daughter, Amy, 27, who runs the canteen, has also had some strange experiences.

He said: "She has come in on several occasions in the morning to find a salt cellar and a glass of water in the same place on the floor. There is no real explanation for it.

"The parascientists have been coming in to take readings and there has been evidence of activity that is out of the ordinary."

Receptionist Nicola Kenoe, 36, who has worked at the site for 10 months, spent the night with the parascientists.

She said: "It was a real experience. I have noticed all sorts of things mainly around the boardroom area in the main on-site office. I am here on my own a lot and you see doors opening and closing by themselves.

"I know that workers in the past had reported seeing things. There were definitely sightings of a little old lady. We wanted to find out if there was any real evidence of the paranormal." Parascientist

Steven Parsons, 43, has been carrying out the investigations in conjunction with parapsychologists at Liverpool Hope University. He said: "Staff had reported hearing strange bumps and sounds and feeling very cold in the building and we decided to go in and have a look.

"There were lights going on and off by themselves and some very low temperature readings.

"We haven't proved anything conclusively yet but we will carry on investigating."

The ghostly goings on at the former Cammell Laird site will feature in a BBC1 TV documentary Inside Out next year.

Source

Cammel Laird always spooked me. I have cousins in Birkenhead and I regularly visited (about once a month) them and we used to go to Birkenhead Priory (where Messers Cammel and Laird are buried, it overlooks the entire dock). It was usually a sunday when I visited so the docks were deserted, it was just creepy.

There there is a oft-regaled ghost story/UL that a worker was once sealed between the two hulls of a ship being built there.

Been hearing for years that the ghosts of John Lennon/Stuart Sutcliffe/Rory Storme have been seen ( or felt ) frequenting their old haunts ( pun intended ). As mentioned elsewhere, somewhat problematic in my mind, as one man died in New York City, one perished in Hamburg, Germany & the last comitted suicide at his mum's several miles from the sites of the reported hauntings. Now, unless one's frequent flier miles continue to accrue even in the afterlife, this seems to fly in the face of the more 'traditional' theories of what constitutes a haunting ( spirit trapped at the site of their tragic death, etc., ) and unless this is some sort of non-intelligent, perpetually playing 'loop' of past events ( vis-a-vis the'stone tape' theory ) I can think of no other explanation that might account for apparitions making multiple appearances in multiple places ( Lennon's ghost can supposedly be seen not only in Liverpool, but Los Angeles, New York and Hamburg, as well )...

BTW, among the places Lennon's spirit can supposedly be seen/felt, I forgot to include London - most notably atop the former 'Apple' headquarters, site of the legendary rooftop session as seen at the end of the film 'Let It Be'.

Admitedly, Ghosts are not my best area of Fortean interest, but I have lived in Liverpool all my life and never heard any story about Beatle Ghosts.

interesting, as most of the articles/claimants referenced in my post maintain that it is supposedly a 'well-known fact' that Beatle spooks are frequently encountered in the area. Anyhoo - even if the witnesses are making specious claims about the merseyside, that still leaves the multiple 'hauntings' of NYC, L.A. ( as attested to by Dan Aykroyd, no less - what better witness could one want than an actual Ghostbuster? ) , and London.

I suppose it is like relitively few people who live near Loch Ness actually have seen the monster.

(My uncle lives in Drumnadrochit just down the road from the visitors centre and he hasn't seen nessie.)

WAY off topic, but this reminds me of a friend who was seriously into Bigfoot/Skunk Apes, and after years of reading about the Florida variant, he found himself deep in the middle of supposed 'Skunk Ape' territory, following a job transfer. After having been assured by roughly a dozen books on the subject that 'Skunk Apes' could be seen, virtually on a daily basis, he was crestfallen to discover that the general consensus among the local populace was 'Skunk what? Never heard of it, son'.

The Ghost of Cammell Laird

Ex-shipyard calls ghost hunters

The owners of a former Merseyside shipyard have called in a team of ghost-hunters following a series of haunting experiences.

The Wirral-based paranormal research group Parascience hopes to find out what is behind the sighting of mysterious strangers.

The former Cammell Laird shipyard, in Birkenhead, is earmarked for a multi-million pound redevelopment.

Its owners want to convert it for retail, commercial and residential use.

'Very strange'

The 140-acre site was one of the biggest shipyards in the world for 170 years, but the ghost hunt centres on an office block built in the 1960s, which is now being used by its owners, Reddington Finance.

Site manager Mike Rider said: "You can walk down the corridor, it's cold even in summertime and feel your hair stand up and tingles down your spine.

"Quite a lot of times, when I've been sitting here at the desk, you see something in the corner of your eye."

His daughter, Amy, says she regularly finds the same glass fallen from a tray in the canteen.

She said: "Every morning when we come in there's normally a glass fallen off that tray. It's always that glass and it's never, ever broken. It's very strange."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 220979.stm
Published: 2005/01/31 04:14:24 GMT

© BBC MMV

Spectral secrets of Royal Court may be revealed

Mar 15 2006

By Mike Chapple Daily Post Staff

Ian Christie in the corridor which is haunted by Les - Picture: COLIN LANE

THE strange secret of why the spirit of a man known as Les still haunts Liverpool's Royal Court theatre may soon be unearthed.

The theatre has allegedly played host to a number of ghosts and outbreaks of paranormal activity since it opened in its present form in 1938.

All could be revealed when world-famous blind psychic Sharon Neill brings her Second Sight presentation to the Royal Court today.

Sharon, who has been blind since birth in Belfast 39 years ago, was delighted to find out that the theatre has a number of ghostly occupants.

"There's all sorts of reasons why spirits stay around a certain building after their body has passed on to the other side," she said.

"It can be because they have happy memories associated with a place but can also be because they disapprove of what is happening in the building or what the building is being used for."

The theatre's building manager, Andy Kirby has been witness to manifestations as have other members of staff which is now the extensively revamped venue for the Rawhide Comedy Club.

"There have been all sorts of things going on since we moved into the building last year and most of them have been put down to a spirit we call Les, who we think was an old caretaker who died here. Slamming doors, paint pots dropping from the fly floors and a strange smell that appears and disappears with no explanation."

There have also been sightings by cleaners and maintenance workers of Les in the upper dressing rooms that have been disused for many years.

There have been other disconcerting moments too.

Once staff were called to the building in the middle of the night after one of the motion sensors had been triggered in the supposedly empty building, setting off the alarm.

After the police had gone Andy, along with Stuart Fraser the technical manager, found that the backstage lift had moved up a floor despite having been out of use for years and having no power running to it.

Visitors to Les's corridor by the upper dressing rooms have watched while something opens and closes the doors on request. This was seen by researchers from TV's popular Most Haunted Live, and they brought their cameras to the theatre shortly afterwards.

Theatre spokesman Iain Christie of Royal Court Theatre said: "I've seen the ghost we call Les opening and closing doors and the other stories are from trustworthy staff who have no reason to make anything up.

"I've also seen the ghost of an old woman in a red cardigan and with grey hair standing in our new Downstairsmembers' club. I thought it was one of our cleaners but she vanished when I went towards her."

Source

Great topic Emps. :yeay:

Where is Fenwick street where the Salughterhouse is supposed to be?

The first story I find the most interesting as I like classic pub ghost stories.

I use to drink there a lot when I worked for Blue Funnel. Do they still serve spirits there? :_pished:

Spectral secrets of Royal Court may be revealed

I think I've already mentioned elsewhere another Liverpool theatre haunting - the ghost that haunts Front of House at the Liverpool Empire which is rendered all the more trouser-changingly scary by having no face. By all accounts a fairly nasty piece of ectoplasm.

I've done some contract work at the Empire and a couple of the crew were genuinely scared to go certain places on overnight shifts although, at the time, no-one would go into details. It wasn't until a few years later when I actually saw Tony (IIRC), the then, (and possibly still), stage manager on some cable TV ghost programme that I actually heard the full story.

(A quick google reveals quite a few Empire ghosts but the sites I've found don't mention the "faceless" detail. I'll maybe have a more thorough trawl tonight).

Anyone read the 800 year of Haunted Liverpool book?

Found it a nice read and liked the local history added about the areas covered In the book.

I was spooked getting home from Formby beach expecting to see black dogs on the beach since I get over superstitious alot though haha.

Yeah, I've read that book. Much better than a certain other Liverpool ghost writer!

It is probaby more of an UL than anything else, but I have heard tales of a haunting in St Johns gardens. They are opposite the museum and Walker Art Gallery, behind St Georges Hall. There are supposed to be the ghosts of seven people that were walled up during either the blitz or else during the work done on the underground.

When waiting for his father to pick him up our eldest son was sitting in the steps of the museum in the early hours of the morning about five years ago (it is easier to meet someone outside the museum as it is right next to the tunnel exit so you don't have to drive around the one way system to get to Lime St station). He was looking out over the gardens. There was very little traffic and the only other people in view were a couple of police officers on foot patrol. He saw what he called "several fluttering lights" moving around the garens. He could not find any logical source and being spooked phoned me up on his mobile to keep contact with him until his dad showed up. He really was spooked by the lights and sounded panicky when they seemed to head towards him. Then they just went out, several minutes before my husband appeared out of the tunnel.

I worked for a time at the Liverpol Payhouse theatre in the early 90's and had several occurances while I was there. I won't tell all of them cause I could be here for a while but the 2 most notable are as follows.

The nearest toilet to the box office where I worked was at the back of the auditorium. We where not really supposed to use it cause it was a disabled but when the office was busy it was quicker than running up the stairs. One day I was sneaking in to use it when there wasn't a performance one and there out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man stood on the stage. It was defo nobody who worked there and like I say, there was no performance on so there was no members of the public there. I turned to face him and just like that, he was gone. Needless to say, i found I didn't to use the toilet after all.

The second thing was one evening while a performance was on I was stood backstage talking to the Front of House Manager. We were stood outside the only door to the kitchen in green room. Inside this kitceh was the usual kitchen cupboards and a fridge/microwave/sink etc and a gas cooker which was quite old and inface no-one used it cause it didn't look that safe. it was one of those ones you have to push the knob in before you can turn it. Anywho, J asked me if I could smell gas, which I could. We went into the kitchen and all the knobs were on. Thinking it was someone messing, we switched them off and carried on talking outside. A few mins later we went back in the kitchen for a reason I can't recall and all the knobs on the cooker where on again. We very quickly switched them off and legged it.

The only tale I had known about visitors to the Playhouse was the man in the top hat who liked to sit in the stage left box. I never saw him but I know plenty of people who did

Back