• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Pub

A

Anonymous

I work in a small town pub in King's Lynn, a notoriously haunted town anyway, and I thought I'd share this story with all who are interested.

I work as the cleaner on weekends, before going on to work in the kitchen. There have been several times when I've been downstairs on my own (the landlord having departed back upstairs to sleep for another hour or so).

Several things have happened, however the most notable happened a few weeks ago. I'd just swept the large wooden floor in the bar-room area and was heading down towards the restaurant (or carvery) with a dustpan full of the usual pub rubbish. Hearing footsteps, I turned and looked back towards the other end of the pub. The large sweeping brush was still where I had left it, leaning up against the bar. As I watched, the brush jumped and then the footsteps returned, this time running toward me.

Of course, being the total coward that I am, I decided to run reasonably quickly away from the area and hid in the carvery until the landlord had come down.

When I told him of the occurance, he just gave a shrug and said the same type of thing happened upstairs. So far, there have been several 'ghosts' seen and heard. A man in a frilly neck collar in the kitchen by the head chef, a little girl reaching out for a vase of flowers in the bar by the landlord, a little boy upstairs (who was meant to be a suicide or murder victim - I forget which) and a violent large man (who it's believed I had the misfortune of encountering).

I'm not sure what happened... but I'm getting used to things like this happening in the pub now, however, I'd welcome any feedback... :)

Ring Yvette right away!

Yvette? Is that the idiot from that "Most Haunted" thing? Urghhh... can't stand that programme.

From what I hear though, another pub from King's Lynn is going to make an appearance on it very soon. The Tudor Rose. So if anyone watches that.... programme, be sure to keep an eye out for it. **nods** :)

Blatidae, you MUST tell us which pub in Kings Lynn you work in!

(I have had a beer at the Tudor Rose, but saw no spirits - groan).

If you can tell us, I promise to visit the pub and tell the Landlord that his establishment is recommended by no less than the Fortean Times.

I once looked over a pub I was considering buying and the Landlady said that at night, they often heard the snooker balls being rolled about on the table in the Snug.

*LOL* Oooh... cool. Hehe... ok, I work in "Ye Olde Mayden's Heade". Everyone just calls it "The Mayd's" though.

If you do go there, be sure not to say anything that'll get me fired! *LOL* :blah:

Sorry to panic you, Blatidae. After I posted my reply I did think you might want to keep your private communications 'private', so I shall say nothing, fear not!

I used to work in a private school in Brentwood that was reported to be haunted by a woman. I saw nothing, but before my time there, a white female form walked up the stairs towards the Headmaster and passed through his shoulder. A student teacher was given a little box-room up on the top floor as temporary accomodation and was found by the morning cleaner to be still in a state of severe shock and cold sweat from seeing the figure of a young servant girl standing at the foot of the bed.

I'd give anything to see a 'ghost'.

Other ghosts....

I've seen about four ghosts.... I think. Although it was all probably figments of my imagination. There was one time I was present when a ghost was seen, but saw nothing. That one was at the Red Mount chapel, again in Lynn.

I've seen things at my high school, King Edward VII High School, at the Duke's Head Hotel (where I used to work) and in Lincoln at my cousin's house. Although they're different stories! *L*

I actually emailed the Maid's Head a few days ago asking if they knew of any stories and never got a reply...yet. I'm not hopeful :(

You might have to go in person and say "boo" to them.
If you need back up, let us know.
I am grateful you bumped this thread.

BTW, referring to the pub's name, what is a "Lynn" and why did the king have one?

IbisNibs said:
BTW, referring to the pub's name, what is a "Lynn" and why did the king have one?

The meaning of “Lynn” is debatable.

Kings”? Until Henry VIII in the 1530s it was known as “Bishop’s Lynn”. Then Henry “reformed” the English Church, and Bishop’s Lynn was surrendered to the Crown, becoming King’s Lynn.

maximus otter

Hi maximus i was watching something on amazon prime the other day and it had the mother shiptons cave pub on it.
The lead investigator was a feller called Phil another person from most haunted.The pub is in knaresborough by the way.I think most of the pubs in England must have a resident spook or two

A friend of mine got a job in The Union Cross pub in Halifax, apparently it has a cellar on 2 levels, during her induction she was told "do not go into the lower cellar on your own, do you understand? YOU DO NOT GO INTO THE LOWER CELLAR ON YOUR OWN!!!!"

She said after that she never dared try it and I've never been able to check the veracity of the story.

Blimey that’s just what you need on your first day at work.As for me i wouldn’t have gone down there at all
after that warning.Was she ever told why and did she experience anything spooky

A friend of mine got a job in The Union Cross pub in Halifax, apparently it has a cellar on 2 levels, during her induction she was told "do not go into the lower cellar on your own, do you understand? YOU DO NOT GO INTO THE LOWER CELLAR ON YOUR OWN!!!!"
She said after that she never dared try it and I've never been able to check the veracity of the story.

It may be related to whatever this Kindle e-book's paranormal investigation was investigating ...

The union cross oldest coaching inn in halifax, the old building is closed up and we cannot enter it. There is a paranormal investigation and a dire warning of black magic in the cellar.The old stories of prostitutes plying a trade and having to see the doctor for back street abortions, some died and along with babies buried under the cellar.

The dark secrets of the past at the Union Cross Kindle Edition
by ghostmistress (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/dark-secrets-past-Union-Cross-ebook/dp/B0084U5LDO

I used to drive past an old pub in Carbrook Sheffield that had a sign outside saying the obligatory "most haunted pub in England". Last time I went past it's now a drive through Starbucks. I guess it might now be the most haunted Starbucks in England? :)

this is all I currently have for Carbrook Hall

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200113-210623.png
    Screenshot_20200113-210623.png
    786.9 KB · Views: 21
I used to drive past an old pub in Carbrook Sheffield that had a sign outside saying the obligatory "most haunted pub in England". Last time I went past it's now a drive through Starbucks. I guess it might now be the most haunted Starbucks in England? :)
So frappé * + poltergeist = . . . what?!!?

* frappé - ORIGIN: mid 19th cent.: French, literally ‘struck.’

Check out online pics of the Starbucks on Coney St, in York. Looks to be an old banking hall. That can't not be haunted. Although the one I used all the time is now gone - it used to be above Borders, and that was in an old non conformist chapel, or the back part of a building (now a clothes shop) that was a Georgian chapel... Loved that place.

The one at the top of Stonegate in York was in a really old and interesting building, too. Gone, now.

Is it one of those fancy fragrance shops now, Ghost?

And I thought the Golden Fleece in York was supposed to be the most haunted pub? I've never even been in, although I'm told they do very good chips...

I sometimes stand and stare at it whilst waiting for the P&R bus, hoping to see an inexplicable face at a window or something mysterious happening, but so far no luck.

I went in there a few times when it was still a pub and found it to have literally no atmosphere at all. I guess as the "most haunted pub in Britain" I expected my hair to stand on end or something as I walked through the door!
Saying that, for a pub to have no atmosphere is also strange. The air in the rooms felt empty and void to me, if that makes sense.

Back