• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have You Got A Double?

People don't like being told they are wrong, it's as simple as that. And the more insistant you are, the more they will double down and try to convince you that YOU are the one in the wrong.
Well, you are.

Always preferred the Munsters to the Addams Family.
You are no longer welcome in my home. :)

And I speak as a look alike to the actor Olaf Pooley.

Olaf-Pooley.jpg

643760_1.jpg

I was at an "Evening of Clairvoyance" today and spotted my ex-doppelganger, a couple of rows in front of me. I say ex, as she has a dark auburn bob, similar to what I had a while back, before I went lighter and longer. We're not unalike in build and general style, however, I no longer have people saying "I saw you in town" on days I when was elsewhere.

A few years ago my now wife / then girlfriend and I were on a short break in Cornwall (at the time we lived in Oxfordshire). We stopped into a pub in a little fishing village one afternoon following a mooch around the winding streets. On attempting to order drinks the barman told us he would not serve us and asked us to leave. Looking at my girlfriend he said something along the lines of: ‘I told you last time, I’m not putting up with your behaviour in here anymore.’ Amused and a little flummoxed I asked him what he was on about and he responded that he’d had enough of her causing trouble and that she was barred. I argued that we lived 250 miles away and had never before visited the village, let alone the pub, but the barman wouldn’t have it. ‘Don’t give me that, I know who you are. Get out!’
Clearly a case of mistaken identity but my gf obviously looked identical to whomever the apparent troublemaker was, as far as the barman was concerned. We thought it was funny, if a little disconcerting, and consoled ourselves with a few pints at another pub, this time without any problem.

A few years ago my now wife / then girlfriend and I were on a short break in Cornwall (at the time we lived in Oxfordshire). We stopped into a pub in a little fishing village one afternoon following a mooch around the winding streets. On attempting to order drinks the barman told us he would not serve us and asked us to leave. Looking at my girlfriend he said something along the lines of: ‘I told you last time, I’m not putting up with your behaviour in here anymore.’ Amused and a little flummoxed I asked him what he was on about and he responded that he’d had enough of her causing trouble and that she was barred. I argued that we lived 250 miles away and had never before visited the village, let alone the pub, but the barman wouldn’t have it. ‘Don’t give me that, I know who you are. Get out!’
Clearly a case of mistaken identity but my gf obviously looked identical to whomever the apparent troublemaker was, as far as the barman was concerned. We thought it was funny, if a little disconcerting, and consoled ourselves with a few pints at another pub, this time without any problem.
A case of the Doppelganger's!

Last edited:
I've been reminded of my so-called doppelganger. I lived just outside Crewkerne in Somerset at the time, and there was a lady who kept goats on the hillside who, apparently, was constantly being mistaken for me. People would tell me they'd seen me carrying buckets up the hill (not me) or wearing jeans and a jacket (also not me). I can only assume that she had the same experience, in reverse.

The only thing was that I saw her, once. We were never in the same room or even as far as I remember on the same road. But I was a passenger in a car that drove past her, and the driver said 'there, that's the woman that I keep thinking is you.'

And she looked nothing like me. At least, she was roughly my height and had shoulder length hair like me. But her face was completely different (I have quite a...ummm...pronounced nose and barely any chin, imagine a bowling ball with a handle, that's me) and she had a normal sized nose and jaw.

So all those people were seeing someone they were swearing was the spitting image of me, based purely on my height and the length of my hair. I immediately concluded that most people don't really look, they go by very superfluous details.

I've been reminded of my so-called doppelganger. I lived just outside Crewkerne in Somerset at the time, and there was a lady who kept goats on the hillside who, apparently, was constantly being mistaken for me. People would tell me they'd seen me carrying buckets up the hill (not me) or wearing jeans and a jacket (also not me). I can only assume that she had the same experience, in reverse.

The only thing was that I saw her, once. We were never in the same room or even as far as I remember on the same road. But I was a passenger in a car that drove past her, and the driver said 'there, that's the woman that I keep thinking is you.'

And she looked nothing like me. At least, she was roughly my height and had shoulder length hair like me. But her face was completely different (I have quite a...ummm...pronounced nose and barely any chin, imagine a bowling ball with a handle, that's me) and she had a normal sized nose and jaw.

So all those people were seeing someone they were swearing was the spitting image of me, based purely on my height and the length of my hair. I immediately concluded that most people don't really look, they go by very superfluous details.
There's something that reminds them of you, which you can't see. :nods:

Looking at some photos of Escet a while ago I noticed how much his posture somehow resembles my own.
Strange as he's 6'1" and thin and I'm 5'4" and chubby. :chuckle:

I made my kids watch the doc about Wham! a while back because my No 4 son looks the spitting image of young Andrew Ridgeley. Eerier still, he has the same personality (as George and others described Andrew) and the same mannerisms.

He also gets told a lot he looks like Kostas Tsmikas, the Liverpool player. Who also has the same sort of extrovert personality. (Which can be confusing for passersby if he's in a car with my husband, who looks very much like Jurgen Klopp).

I've had two doubles. One was shown to me on a photo, after she had claimed I (a male) looked liked her female friend from Hull. I was pretty astonished when I saw she did. I did ask if she ever got any boyfriends, and apparently she was reasonably popular.
The other was also a girl (bit weird to me). I used to take the bus from Aberdeenshire to Aberdeen for work. A girl got on with her boyfriend. Again, an astonishing likeness. Threw me completely. She wandered over to where I was sitting, then shook her head (in a 'WTF am I doing' manner, rather than negative), then turned around to go sit with her boyfriend who had sat down nearer the front. Wish I'd spoken to her.
I'm not from either the north of England or north of Scotland, so it's not a 'regional look'.
There is a local look here. Amongst the few of us left who actually had ancestors here, at least. Our neighbour 20 years ago, could have been my sister. We didn't look identical and couldn't have been mistaken for eachother but we looked as alike as two very similar looking sisters, enough for a few people to comment on it.

I was doing a lot of genealogy around that time and saw many of "my" surnames right back to the first page of parish records - not this village so much (only go back to 1700, here!) but every surrounding village. And there, on the same first page (so you're talking late 16th century), my neighbour's surname as well. (She used her maiden name). Turned out, her grandad had farmed here. Mine had been a farmer with a similar sized farm in the next village. We can't not have been related, really, I just never chased it up.

One of 'our' cafes posts photos of customers enjoying the excellent service. The owners are promoting it as a cycling cafe as it's ideal, with safe bike parking, plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, a picturesque setting and so on.

Cyclists are good customers because they roll up, often in a big group, order meals and drinks and shove off again ASAP. No lingering over coffee and taking up tables. :nods:

Did a double-take at this photo as the woman next to the window on the right, in the pink top, looks like me.
(I'd've sorted my roots though.)

Didn't mention it to Techy, who also spotted 'me'.

Attachments

• My double in the cafe.jpeg
    My double in the cafe.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
One of 'our' cafes posts photos of customers enjoying the excellent service. The owners are promoting it as a cycling cafe as it's ideal, with safe bike parking, plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, a picturesque setting and so on.

Cyclists are good customers because they roll up, often in a big group, order meals and drinks and shove off again ASAP. No lingering over coffee and taking up tables. :nods:

Did a double-take at this photo as the woman next to the window on the right, in the pink top, looks like me.

The chap at the front looks like he's about to have a heart attack.

Pink top? - there is a definite resemblance.

Attachments

• es.jpeg
    es.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 28
Back