• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
You'll be happy to know that there is a 3 disc edition supposedly in the works for later this year with more footage added back into the film. The added footage apparently builds up the relationship between Hellboy and Liz Sherman.

While I missed it during the original theatrical run, just got the DVD and I loved it. I'm a long, longtime fan of Mignola ( 'Rocket Racoon', anyone? ) and my primary concern was that while the movie would be a perfectly acceptable entertainment, it wouldn't be Hellboy. Well, it is, and then some. If only all the directors helming comic book adaptations would be as dedicated to bringing the spirit of the comics to celluloid life. Ron Perlman hits it on the head in the lead - he IS Hellboy. I can't imagine anyone else playing the part. Great movie. I'm even looking forward to picking up the 'extended director's cut' DVD in november - and I am someone who long ago got fed up with the studios fleecing DVD buyers with multiple versions of the same films. In this case, I'll make an exception and plunk down the cash for another copy of a film I already own. I cannot recommend it enough. It's just that great.

I'm just surprised that the release of 'Hellboy' in the UK didn't cause as much as a ripple IMHO, it's the best of comic book adaptations for a long time.......'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' anybody?? :cross eye

Messalina said:
I'm just surprised that the release of 'Hellboy' in the UK didn't cause as much as a ripple IMHO, it's the best of comic book adaptations for a long time.......'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' anybody?? :cross eye
It's not out in the UK yet.

Whoops, that may explain why :D...I was fortunate enough to see it in the States and I could have sworn it had been released here, maybe I'm thinking of preview screenings (I'm trying to look slightly less foolish here ;) )

What about the final scene where it turns out he's not been chasing Rasputin after all, and that it's a little dwarf in a mac? Oh my gosh, that sent shivers down my spine.

It's coming out in September I think. Should make quite a big impact, it deserves to.

Argh! That's the bit where the dwarf takes off her clothes and reveals that she's a man isn't it!

UK Director's Cut DVD:

Hellboy (Director's Cut) (R2) in January

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Hellboy (Director's Cut) for 9th January 2006 priced at £19.99. It's taken over a year to arrive on these shores but the extended director's cut of Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy will finally be available in the New Year...

Technical Specs:

* Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
* English DD5.1 Surround
* English HOH, English & Czech subtitles

Disc 1
# Never-before-seen extended version of the film (10mins new footage)
# Video introduction by Guillermo del Toro
# Commentary by director Guillermo del Toro, exclusive to this cut
# Composer commentary with isolated score
# Branching DVD comics drawn by Mike Mignola with all-new expanded text from Guillermo Del Toro
# "Right Hand of Doom": set visits and factoids
# Storyboard track: now with hundreds of new images
# DVD-ROM: Printable original screenplay, script supervisor's book, director's notebook

Disc 2
# Video introduction by Selma Blair
# "Hellboy: The Seeds of Creation" 2 hour documentary on the Making-Of Hellboy
# Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Guillermo del Toro
# Character Biographies
# Board-a-Matics : side-by-side comparison of scenes with the animated storyboards
# Multi Angle Scene Breakdowns
# Maquette 3-D character sculptures video gallery
# Trailers, TV spots and Poster Explorations
# Filmographies

Disc 3
# Video introduction by Ron Perlman
# Cast video commentary by Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor, and Rupert Evans
# Production workshops
# Makeup and lighting tests
# Q&A archive: Comic-Con 2002
# A Quick Guide to Understanding Comics with Scott McCloud
# Director's notebook
# Production Design galleries
# Mike Mignola pre-production art
# Conceptual art galleries
# Comic book artists pin-ups

& Special Hidden Extras...

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59331

Pre-ordering:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A ... ntmagaz-21

Or there is the R1 version (no real differences that I can see):
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002V7 ... enantmc-20

Hellboy 2 and it sounds like he is going o get the Halo gig if it fits in!! Hoywood really need him :)

Guillermo del Toro Gives Hellboy 2 Update

Source: Empire Online
December 8, 2005

Empire Online reports that the rumors are true - "Halo" executive producer Peter Jackson has approached Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro about taking on the video game adaptation. Unless "Halo" can wait, however, it looks more like del Toro will be doing Hellboy 2 instead. He talked a bit about the sequel:

"It's going really good," says del Toro, who's completed a script. "It's about the fairy world and the mythical creatures all rebelling against humanity and saying it's the end of mankind and it's the season for the sons of the Earth. And basically Hellboy has to try to repress or suppress that rebellion."

Sounds good. Perlman and the rest of the original cast – including Selma Blair, Doug Jones, David Hyde-Pierce and Rupert Evans – are all coming back, while Hellboy creator Mike Mignola is also on board. "He should be reading the screenplay right now," laughed Guillermo.

But – and it’s a big but – Hellboy 2 is still awaiting the big greenlight, before filming can take place (partially in the UK, fact fans). "We're budgeting," said del Toro. "I'm very much looking forward to it. I wanna do it. It's still on the front burner, but it's all about budget."

www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3683

Partially in the UK? I'm ready for my close up Mr del Toro.

went to see hellboy 2 last night and thought it was bloody good fun.

oddles of superbly done cgi creatures, some of them had me quite squirming! luke goss (yes, that one) was really good too as the elf prince.

for some reason i was sure i remembered reading somewhere that there was going to be an end of credits snippit with the clockwork nazi ninja from the first film, but i stayed to the end and there was not.

though bizarrely enough, there was a health warning to say that the portrayals of tobacco use in the movie were for artistic purposes only and that people should not emulate them! :shock: :?

We found it pretty enough but unsatisfying. "By the numbers" rather than engaging. Red and Liz aren't fighting because of real personal conflicts, they're fighting because that's what the people who got together in the first movie do in the second movie so the scriptwriters can hit the same romantic notes as in the first without having to learn to write the next stage of a romantic relationship. I'd have a hard time describing the other things that happen for similar reasons and not out of plot logic or character development - no character developes convincingly and most of them behave with criminal stupidity at least once - without giving away spoilers, which means they're integral to the movie, which goes a long way toward describing why I found the whole thing difficult to engage with.

For what it is, it's okay, but it's not going to scratch a lot of the itches the previews seem to promise, for vital conflicts on real issues important to the characters, expanding the franchise world, or surprising the viewer.

lol it's a comic book adaptation about a red guy with horns and a hand that's too big.

if you were expecting shakespeare you went to the wrong movie. this one was meant to be big, pretty and daft :D :?

iZombie creator Chris Roberson previews new Hellboyuniverse comic, Witchfinder: City of the Dead

Marvel and DC get all the big buzz, but they aren’t the only comic companies who have spent decades constructing complex fictional continuities. Over at Dark Horse, Mike Mignola’s Hellboy comics have gone from one series about a human-raised demon investigating the paranormal into an expansive universe full of fairies, monsters, and detectives struggling for or against the forces of eldritch horror. This fictional universe pays homage to many of the pulp genres that first influenced Mignola; in addition to Hellboy’s wanderings through Hell and the Celtic underworld, there’s also Witchfinder, which follows Sir Edward Grey’s occult investigations in service of Queen Victoria. Something of a predecessor to Hellboy and the modern-day B.P.R.D, Grey pops up frequently throughout the Hellboy mythology. TheWitchfinder series, which has run on-and-off since 2009, shows how Grey did things back in the days before radio.

The newest installment of that series, Witchfinder: City of the Dead, features Grey dealing with a zombie incursion into Victorian England. It’s got one of the foremost zombie experts at the helm, too; City of the Dead was co-written by Mignola and iZombie creator Chris Roberson. As Mignola continues his gradual exit from making Hellboycomics, it’s only natural that he would bring in similarly-minded creators to continue taking care of the universe.

Below, Roberson speaks with EW about writing a universe he’s loved as a fan, taking zombies out of their comfort zone, and makingWitchfinder accessible to new and old fans alike. Above, check out the exclusive cover of the first issue (of five). Witchfinder: City of the Dead #1 is on sale August 31. ...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/10/chris-roberson-hellboy-witchfinder-city-dead

Finally saw the new Hellboy film.

Hellboy (2019): In a pre-credits we visit Pendle Hill in 517 CE as KIng Arthur pulls a fast one on Nimue the evil Blood Queen (Mila Jovovich) and chops her into pieces ala Monty Python, her head still venting spleen as it is sealed in a casket. Her body parts are then dispersed. In the present day Hellboy (David Harbour) goes to Mexico in search of Agent Ruiz who disappeared whilst hunting Vampires. Sadly Ruiz has been turned and morphs into a Werebat style Vampire. Recalled to the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (BPRD) HQ by it's Director, his adoptive father Trevor Bruttenholm (Ian McShane) he is sent to England to assist the Osiris Club, a group which performs similar functions to the BPRD. They are hunting Giants which have been raised from the earth. Meanwhile a Werehog Fairy, Gruagach (Stephen Graham) is gathering the parts of Nimue, intent on reassembling her and reactivating her powers. Nothing goes quite to plan for anyone and Hellboy soon joins up with a Psychic, Alice (Sasha Lane), whom he had saved from the Fairies as a child and Major Daimio (Daniel Dae Kim) of M11 to battle Gruagach and Nimue.

This is a reboot of Hellboy based on the comic books Darkness Calls, The Wild Hunt, The Storm and the Fury, and Hellboy in Mexico. A vein of dark humour runs through the film but it is also replete with bleak scenes. People are dismembered, decapitated, eaten by giants. Gruagach slays monks and rips out the tongue and voice box of one to use to chant a phrase. Ectoplasmic representations of the dead are summoned up by Alice, emanating from her mouth. The Osiris Clu is based in a country mansion, with panelled, book lined walls which naturally have secret doors. The M11 HQ hides behind a Fish and Chip shop front. Hellboy discovers some secrets which his father has kept from him and muses over how monsters are treated. There are many good scenes in the film but it all seems episodic and the whole is less than the sum of it's parts. Good fun and director Neil Marshall has delivered an interesting interpretation of Hellboy but not as good as the Del Toro version. 6.5/10.

There is also a new Rocketeer film planned. I wonder if they will have the jetpack be invented by Howard Stark this time.

Back