• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Higgs boson found

johncbdg1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Higgs boson found
Press conference at Edinburgh University on Wednesday, they will announce it has been found.

Got this a good friend

Kondoru said:
It was under the papers on the desk!

Not there,I take it you know nothing about Edinburgh University,this is from word of mouth.

Press conference at Edinburgh University on Wednesday, they will announce it has been found.

So they've only found one?

I'll tell you when I get back from the CERN seminar on it on Wednesday morning. ;)

Know what I think? They've found just one Higgs Boson, and the entire universe is inside it. :)

Having found quarks taste like cheese, someone has eaten it.

Mythopoeika said:
Know what I think? They've found just one Higgs Boson, and the entire universe is inside it. :)

Yes and we humans are not the only ones inside.

Edinburgh University

Here is a clue why its right.
Peter Higgs, professor emeritus at the University of the Edinburgh.

This is going to be followed on Thursday by the revelation that protons and neutrons aren't really held together by strong nuclear force, but by fear, loneliness and desperation.

BlackRiverFalls said:
This is going to be followed on Thursday by the revelation that protons and neutrons aren't really held together by strong nuclear force, but by fear, loneliness and desperation.

Yes. :)

Now they've found the 'God Particle', will they now start looking for the 'Satan Particle'? :)

Mythopoeika said:
Now they've found the 'God Particle', will they now start looking for the 'Satan Particle'? :)
That would be the anti higgs, if ever the the two should meet it would be curtains for us, the universe and everything.

Ronson8 said:
Mythopoeika said:
That would be the anti higgs, if ever the the two should meet it would be curtains for us, the universe and everything.

:_omg: + :devil: = :splat:

I'm currently at CERN, enjoying a nice cup of coffee and a cake. My son, his physicsy mates and I will be camping out tonight on the corridor outside the seminar room, munching on the huge mounts of various British snacks I've shipped over. We will be first in!

The place is buzzing. There will be several live blogs running during the talk, of which our Escet's is one. The astounding new findings will be shared with the world as they are announced. 8)

More importantly, we'll be on telly, Mum! :D

OMG, you're AT CERN???? :shock:

History in the making, and one of our own is there.

i certainly am. I'll be taking a computer along so will do a bit of live blogging myself on here if anyone's interested, and if I can understand whats going on! :lol:

The talk is that there's a 50/50 chance of either experiment (CMS or ATLAS) having seen 5 sigma excess (discovery at 5 sigma).

So now you know as much as I do!

Ok, if it looks like a golf ball, how are we to tell it from the many golf balls out there?

Or, are those purported golf balls are in actualy Higgs bosons, and no one has realised this yet?

What implications are there for the game of Golf? Quantum physisists have historicaly prefered Football and Boxing.

CMS reckon they made several videos to cover various scenarios so that any one of them could have been leaked. Whichever it is therefore has no more significance than any of the others.

A bit like the alternative endings to the final episode of A Touch Of Frost. ;)

What if it's going to be like the TV version of Clue and they show all the possible endings anyway?

Cripes! What will this do to the Wavefront?

Do we have to choose which Reality we want?

Or does it just happen??

Here we are, outside the seminar room, about 20 or so nerdy squatters. :D

It seems that I'm the oldest person here. Hmmm.

Yup, they've done it! All over the news now! Champagne will be opened here!

Back