• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Higgs boson found

Fluttermoth said:
Spookdaddy said:
Higgs Boson sounds like the name of some nutty old colonel
Maybe it wouldn't sound so daft if people pronounced 'bosun' properly; hard 's's, not soft ;)

You mean 'bosun' as in 'bos'n' /Treasure Island, an abbreviation of boatswain? :lol:

Rynner can answer that. He does both physics and ships.

Fluttermoth said:
Spookdaddy said:
Higgs Boson sounds like the name of some nutty old colonel
Maybe it wouldn't sound so daft if people pronounced 'bosun' properly; hard 's's, not soft ;)
But then it would be confused with the bozon, an elementary particle of stupidity, which is regularly created at the Information Super Collider.

Aye-aye, skipper! :lol:

The documentary Particle Fever showed at a theater in town last night for one night only and I got to see it on the big screen. A really excellent film on many levels. It makes the broad-strokes issues and implications of the physics understandable to the layman. It makes one proud of the fact that thousands of scientists and technicians from all over the world were able to collaborate for decades to make the LHC happen. One is amazed at the size and complexity of the machine. One is caught up in the suspense of how the experiment will turn out. And it portrays the physicists as flesh and blood human beings with ambition, weaknesses, courage, fears. I highly recommend it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385956/

Heh, Escet and I're in that! :lol:

This is something to give real pause for thought. From, Salon.
Stephen Hawking: “God particle” could demolish the universe
The physicist warned that under high energy levels, the Higgs boson could collapse space and time

“The Higgs potential has the worrisome feature that it might become megastable at energies above 100bn giga-electron-volts (GeV). This could mean that the universe could undergo catastrophic vacuum decay, with a bubble of the true vacuum expanding at the speed of light. This could happen at any time and we wouldn’t see it coming.”
A thousand possible SF nightmare scenarios come true. Still, we wouldn't know what hit us.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
This is something to give real pause for thought. From, Salon.
“The Higgs potential has the worrisome feature that it might become megastable at energies above 100bn giga-electron-volts (GeV). This could mean that the universe could undergo catastrophic vacuum decay, with a bubble of the true vacuum expanding at the speed of light. This could happen at any time and we wouldn’t see it coming.”[/i]
A thousand possible SF nightmare scenarios come true. Still, we wouldn't know what hit us.
An internet search on Megastable only seems to bring up things about horses and stables.

But Metastable brings up stuff like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastability

Back