• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Highgate Cemetery

MaxMolyneux

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
What a cool looking cemetry. Was watching a documentry in me dads on Sunday about what god could be and they were going through all kinds of religion and when the guy was in highgate cemetry, I just liked the look of it.

The place would look spooky at night and even more if it had the fog that we had a couple of weeks ago.

Pics of it here.

http://www.craphound.com/images/highgate/index_1.html

http://www.craphound.com/images/highgate/index.html

Has the part what I was interested in but didn't the angle this pic has of it on one of the curves.

http://ck37.image.pbase.com/image/33459958/medium.jpg

It's even got a temple of doom. hello1

Closet we have to that place is St James by the Anglican cathedral would can look spooky at night.

Has Ghost Stories on it too and not sure about the Vampire one.

http://www.afallon.com/stories/highgate.htm

If you go there, DON'T mention ghosts - the curators and staff take a very dim view of spooks and don't allow ghost hunts in there.

This didn't stop Richard Felix from breaking into the cemetary for his "Ghosts of London" DVD - it even shows him getting out the way he came in - through a gap in the railings!

Nah would just like to visit the place to admire the look of it whenever I go to London again. 8)

Did they ever take that guy to court over that?

Nope, but Highgate do know about it. Felix has also been caught out on DVD on other occasions, and the National Trust, English Heritage etc. are checking into this.

Ooh, he's a rebel, that one! :lol:

I have a lovely book of photos of Highgate, taken before the vandalism which wrecked many of the wonderful monuments.

MaxMolyneux said:
Nah would just like to visit the place to admire the look of it whenever I go to London again. 8)

Did they ever take that guy to court over that?

The words 'Highgate' and 'Court' on the same thread?

LOCK IT DOWN, QUICKLY!

I must admit I did pop into this thread in a road accident style wondering if someone had committed the cardinal sin. ;)

*wanders by in morbid curiosity*

It does look like a lovely spooky place, I love the architecture of tombs and mausoleums not to mention the mood of the places. How many ghost sightings have their actually been in Highgate Cemetary however? I have no idea.

Some people find cemetaries creepy but I find them beautiful and peaceful places full of oddities, equisite carvings and the like.

Glad this thread is not not about other stuff.
But i should hope other people Might admire nice cemetaries however each sightseer takes each remnant. ;)

The documentary was "The Story of God". I've started a thread on it here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24473

It certianly looked awfully impressive in that footage.

=============
/!\ I know it may not need mentioning but in case this tempts in the unwary I want to remind people that the old caveats still apply:

There is technically nothing wrong with mentioning Highgate Cemetry but there are connected topics that are (rightly or wrongly) verbotten and this stricture stands:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 353#393353

The magazine's lawyers take this issue seriously and we will enforce those guidelines.

As you were.

Yea it's a totally amazing place isn't it, like stepping into a Hammer Horror film.

Such as?

Can't delete for some reason

EssexSpook: See my post above.

I've already removed one post from this thread and would like to avoid wasting any more of my time on this.

many_angled_one said:
*wanders by in morbid curiosity*

It does look like a lovely spooky place, I love the architecture of tombs and mausoleums not to mention the mood of the places. How many ghost sightings have their actually been in Highgate Cemetary however? I have no idea.

Some people find cemetaries creepy but I find them beautiful and peaceful places full of oddities, equisite carvings and the like.

But i should hope other people Might admire nice cemetaries however each sightseer takes each remnant. ;)

I most find them creepy at night probably due to spooky stories I read. 8)

Is nice archetechture though, St James here has some good archetech but not as big as the highgate place.

Emps that was the documentry I watched which got me interested in the cemetry. ;)

Thanks for the warning anyway so I don't end up causing anything either. ;)

If you go there, DON'T mention ghosts - the curators and staff take a very dim view of spooks and don't allow ghost hunts in there.

Try asking them in a broad American accent, "Say, you know where Mary Poppins' grave is?"

Was there for the first time this summer. Wonderful place. Nice village too - good pubs, a great Oxfam bookshop and an off-licence with cut price Laphraoig! What more could a man ask for! Some awful council flats round there too. They looked like plastic train carriages stacked up on each other. Couldn't believe there were people living in them. Anyway, to get back on topic, its well worth the entrance fee and camera permit. Pity they don't let you bring in a tripod though.

So is it more a tourist site too now as you pay to get in?

Try asking them in a broad American accent, "Say, you know where Mary Poppins' grave is?"
:lol: Brilliant.
Or you could try Ebeneezer Scrooge!

(I have a photo of his gravestone, very confusing. It is of course a film prop, and is nowhere near Highgate.)

If anyone has photos of Highgate, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

We had a 'morbid turn of mind' thread on here, with many gratuitous photos of graveyards. Daren't even try to search for it now. :(

*takes hat off, holds it respectfully over heart*

I was lucky enough to visit the cemetery before it got tidied up. I seem to remember even guided tours were rarer in those days but I went once, sometime in the 80‘s, when they opened the place up for a day and you were allowed to walk around unaccompanied - I‘m not sure they do that anymore. It was nice to see the place when it was quite a lot wilder than it is now. Having said that I think they’ve done a pretty fair job of balancing character and atmosphere with the demands of practicality and, I assume, insurance issues.

On a general note, cemeteries and churchyards have their own unique attraction in cities because they’re often the only place to get a bit of space and some peace quiet. My own particular favourite, when I wish to park my arse if I’m feeling a bit fatigued after a round of urban flânerie, is the churchyard of St Brides. Tiny compared to Highgate, hemmed in by tall buildings and only a few yards from Fleet Street and Ludgate Circus and all the associated traffic, I’ve always found it to be an incredibly calm, and calming, place. And, unless I'm just lucky, it's the time of day that I go or I scare people away, I always seem to have the place more or less to myself. The kind of place you sit down with a coffee and find yourself half an hour later with all the shite flushed right out of your mind. If you’re in central London and wish to partake of Spook’s Patented Head Diet, plant yourself on a bench at St Brides for a while.

Essexspook - There were a few big old train-wreck of threads a while back frequented by everybody and their pets about some events and people associated with Highgate Cemetary. It resulted in flaming, trolling, bannings and eventually a ban on talking about those people from up on high. (entirely understandable, I would have done the same)

The subject itself started as stories about the Highgate Vampire and hauntings there and devolved into shit-slinging about the people involved in certain events (and then beyond them) there rather than the entirely fortean interest of those specific events. If you want to know about those events you will have to read up on them yourself rather than discussing it here as I'm not entirely sure if even discussion of those events (excluding discussion/mention on the people involved) is banned as well or not.
Any Moderator word on that?

I hope saying even this much is permissable as I'm sure a lot of thread readers will be confused about all of this, especially newer members who had no idea of why it was banned or what it is they are not supposed to talk about.

many_angled_one said:
The subject itself started as stories about the Highgate Vampire and hauntings there and devolved into shit-slinging about the people involved in certain events (and then beyond them) there rather than the entirely fortean interest of those specific events. If you want to know about those events you will have to read up on them yourself rather than discussing it here as I'm not entirely sure if even discussion of those events (excluding discussion/mention on the people involved) is banned as well or not.
Any Moderator word on that?

I'm afraid its nearly impossible to go any further into a discussion of Highgate (other than how nice the cemetry is) without getting into hot water quickly so best avoided.

many_angled_one said:
I hope saying even this much is permissable as I'm sure a lot of thread readers will be confused about all of this, especially newer members who had no idea of why it was banned or what it is they are not supposed to talk about.

In a wonderfully Catch 22 situation saying why it is not possible to discuss things is itself pretty close to not being allowed. Thats why I link through to the post above which says what it is you can't discuss (it had to be stated once otherwise things would get even sillier). If it would be helpful I can add in links to the various threads so people can read up on the mucky hisotry of all this unpleasantness so as to avoid any further discussion of why we can't discuss certain topics.

I'll leave your post (and this reply) for now but if we are told to remove it and/or the thread then I'm sorry to say we'll have to.

Spookdaddy wrote:
you were allowed to walk around unaccompanied - I‘m not sure they do that anymore.

I was able to do this year in the part Karl Marx in interned in, once I had payed in

And if you are looking for an alternative to the cemetry which must not be mentioned (how intriguing!), my niece (a Londoner and my erstwhile guide on my annual trips there) has advised me that Nunshead Cemetry south of London is what other famous now-less-accessible cemetries once were, if not better. Nunshead is apparently about half an hour to an hour by train from central London and is apparently quite old (at least Victorian), highly atmospheric, full of monumental gravestones and as accessible as any garden-variety cemetry. Anyone been?

Hospitaller said:
Spookdaddy wrote:
you were allowed to walk around unaccompanied - I‘m not sure they do that anymore.

I was able to do this year in the part Karl Marx in interned in, once I had payed in

Sorry I meant the old cemetery over the road, not the new(er) bit.

Nunhead is definitely worth a visit. South London rather than south of London - between east Dulwich and Brockley. A friend of my ex-girlfriend got lost there early one blustery autumn morning during a shoot for a Guinness advert (he fannies around with hair and make-up for the film industry). He's gay, Jewish, about six foot eight inches tall and prone to extremely loud clothes and louder hysterics. One has to wonder what went through the mind of any Sarf Londoner who bumped into him while out emptying the dog that morning.

If it would be helpful I can add in links to the various threads so people can read up on the mucky hisotry of all this unpleasantness so as to avoid any further discussion of why we can't discuss certain topics.

Yes please, it's all quite confusing and I'd love to find out what happened. Thanks many_angled_one and Mighty_Emperor.

EssexSpook said:
If it would be helpful I can add in links to the various threads so people can read up on the mucky hisotry of all this unpleasantness so as to avoid any further discussion of why we can't discuss certain topics.

Yes please, it's all quite confusing and I'd love to find out what happened. Thanks many_angled_one and Mighty_Emperor.

OK I've updated the post on the other thread I linked to above to include links to various threads that had to be shut down for legal reasons. I'm afraid if that isn't any help then there is little I can do about it. A kindly FTMBer might PM you with further info but that is as much as can be done on the board.

Does anybody know exacly what is happening with this de-burial initiative to make room?
https://highgatecemetery.org/future

Highgate Cemetery will soon run out of space.
It is over 180 years since the first burial at Highgate Cemetery.
But within the next few years the space available will significantly diminish. We would like Highgate to continue as a working cemetery and not become simply a tourist attraction.
Providing a place of burial is the best way to preserve its special character and prevent its decline. With their loved ones continuing to be buried here, future generations would value Highgate Cemetery as a spiritual landscape, different in character from other open spaces such as parks.
By taking back long-abandoned graves the future of the Cemetery can be assured. Where graves are no longer wanted by their historic owners, they could be made available for the present generation.

Naturally there would be many safeguards to preserve the interests of grave owners and their families, and to protect the heritage. But there is much scope for Highgate Cemetery to accommodate more burials with minimal impact on the wonderful landscape.

We call the process ‘grave renewal’. This booklet explains our indicative proposals for how it might work, and is subject to further change and refinement. Other London cemeteries already have similar powers, so the precedent is well-established. To implement it here, Highgate Cemetery needs a supplementary Act of Parliament which we intend to seek in November.

A few weeks ago I visited Highgate Cemetery for the first time in years. I had no idea there were more recent burials on the West site (the old bit), and was quite surprised to find them.

That said, there were not many - and the process is clearly very well managed (and presumably, very expensive - which will probably help keep any undue pressure off). I also wonder if it's been limited to locals - but that was just an inkling I got from reading some of the memorials.

I think if I had heard this as happening before I'd seen the place again I might have been more circumspect about what its general effect might be. However, I kind of sympathise with the idea that the cemetery should not simply be a tourist destination, and it doesn't seem to me to have affected the overall feel at all; although it's been tidied up a little since I visited many years ago, this has been done with sensitivity - it still feels a bit wild, and very atmospheric.

There are sections of path that have clearly been made more accessible - an 'orange route' that takes you from the entrance directly up to the Circle of Lebanon. There are more of the 'grey routes', which are longer, muddier and somewhat wilder - and where you can feel a little bit like you are somewhere you maybe shouldn't be.

But, as the pamphlet states: If the path you are on is not on this map, then you shouldn't be on it. Which feels like a great initial hook to a spooky story.

Last edited:
In reference to my last post.

Although I’ve been meaning to go back for years the decision to go that day was more or less spontaneous.

I've lived and worked in London, on and off, since the 90's - staying mainly in the East End, and south of the river. North London, despite being the locus of my earliest introduction to the city back in the 80's, has, since then, remained somewhat foreign territory to me. I haven’t really spent any time there for more years than I cared to remember and – although I’m not a person to whom nostalgia is an important emotion - I was kind of pleased that the slightly unsettling aura of oddness that I always associated with the area has not much faded in the intervening years, and clearly wasn’t simply a result of it all being new to me back then.

It was a little bit grey – a little bit damp; perfect weather really, for a wander round an old English cemetery.

I walked up from Archway, through Waterlow Park (which has ghosts of its own, I believe), over Swain's Lane, and paid my tenner.

It was only a few minutes after entering that I had one of those encounters that makes you feel like you might have wandered into a movie (I find London’s pretty good for these).

At the top of the first section of path (the Colonnade Path), and close by the Litvinenko memorial, I almost walked into a woman who looked like she’d wandered off the set of some cool French action movie. Built like a gymnast, or maybe a ballet dancer (although possibly too tall for the latter) – very lean, but athletic looking, and wearing what looked like pretty high-end sports gear. But it was the shaved head and very striking neck and lower facial tattoos that really struck me. Facial tattoos are more common these days, and I’ve always disliked them – but this was obviously more high-end stuff; I didn’t want to stare, but you could tell from a glimpse that there was some real art involved.

I’d have loved to have taken a portrait, and the conditions and background were perfect – but she looked a bit like she might be an Eastern European assassin out of that French movie I mentioned, and I reckon one wrong ask and she’d have pulled a couple of Krav Maga moves on me and left me on the ground like a bundle of broken sticks. So, I left her to her morning, which appeared to consist of walking very purposefully around the cemetery, but to no actual obvious purpose.

In fact, I took virtually no photographs that day. I always have my camera with me, but sometimes I’m just not in the mood. Other times, it feels like the camera’s a bit in the way of experiencing a place in the manner I want to at the time. But I’ll definitely be going back with my camera-head on - hopefully soon.

One image I did take - couldn’t resist the splash of light spotted through the grill of one of the mausoleums (I think it would be the Cory Wright tomb):

DSCF1181b copy.jpg

All in all, it was a really enjoyable couple of hours or so, and I’m really glad I let my spontaneous decision have its way that day.

The place is really atmospheric – but it’s not spooky. Or maybe what I should say is that in the right conditions you could most definitely scare the wits out of yourself in there – but actually, even on that relatively overcast day, what it really felt like to me was welcoming.

It was a relatively quiet morning - a fair few people around, and a couple of groups - but the place still felt very peaceful. I came across a couple of individuals who were obviously tending to examples of the more recent graves mentioned in the previous couple of posts; if anything the fact that the place is still a living memorial, as it were, enhanced the atmosphere rather than dissipated it.

As I said, the cemetery is clearly well managed, but it doesn't feel at all overmanaged.

When I last went, I’m pretty sure that you had to visit on one of the organised tours – unaccompanied wanderings were not allowed (although I seem to recall that they maybe had one of two days a year when they opened the cemetery up and did allow unchaperoned visits). These days you can just wander on your own. On a wet day decent footwear would be a good idea if you want to get on those less maintained paths.

Definitely worth a trip if you are in London and have a few hours to spare.

Last edited:
Back