His Dark Materials

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I enjoyed the books years ago and we saw t'fillum which we liked.
Techy keeps saying 'Oh look, His Dark Materials, not your sort of thing, I'll watch that when you're out!'

I protest that I WOULD like it but it's as if he can't even hear me. Weird.

Although maybe it's because I did Paradise Lost for a degree and lectured him about it when we watched t'fillum.
Yer motto: Better To Rule In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven.

I bet it's Hell for Techy!

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
More dieselpunk, sort of 1930s to 1950s - or loosely somewhere in the 20th century. I like that they've not gone full late Victorian steampunk.
Okay, that's fair. I suppose zeppelins are more dieselpunk.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Best episode so far this week. Murray Lachlan Young made an interesting observation on Radio 4 at the weekend, that the daemons were like smartphones in our world, a companion most of us can't be parted from. Which makes me one of the zombie children or the creepy, glaikit nurse.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's really hitting its stride now.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Proper cliffhanger ending, too! Almost literally.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Although they've fumbled the storytelling at times, I can't fault the acting, everyone's been great. But the real appeal is the atmosphere, tonight's was just perfect for the Solstice evening, incredibly rich (think the snowbound scenes were shot in Canada?).

Anyway, back next year, though they've kind of given away what happens next.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Although they've fumbled the storytelling at times, I can't fault the acting, everyone's been great. But the real appeal is the atmosphere, tonight's was just perfect for the Solstice evening, incredibly rich (think the snowbound scenes were shot in Canada?).

Anyway, back next year, though they've kind of given away what happens next.
They commissioned the third book at the same time so we’re guaranteed to see it all.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
They commissioned the third book at the same time so we’re guaranteed to see it all.
Excellent, on Sunday evenings again, I hope? It's proof you can make a fantasy TV series that doesn't rely on sex and violence to keep people watching, ideas are important too.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
Consolidated viewing figures hovering around the seven million mark which is excellent.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Consolidated Vieirinha figures hovering around the seven million mark which is excellent.
Spent a while trying to work out what you meant by that, then decided you meant "Viewing figures" - am I right?! Anyway, that is really good if so, and it'll only rise when the iPlayer figures are added to the total.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
Spent a while trying to work out what you meant by that, then decided you meant "Viewing figures" - am I right?! Anyway, that is really good if so, and it'll only rise when the iPlayer figures are added to the total.
Oops! Didn’t notice that, will correct it.

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Reaction score
Genuinely very enjoyable. The other half read the books around the time of their release, and while she thought them a little heavy handed in the 'organised religion is a bad thing' messaging did enjoy them. I remember watching the film adaptation and really not seeing what she was on about. But this, i see, was largely due to those themes being very heavily played down for film.

Not so, here. it's even kind of echoed by the choral chanting in parts of the theme tune. A very compelling series, with good production values, which took a few episodes to truly hit its stride. But once it did? It was pretty bloody good stuff.

I understand that they've threaded themes from and of the second and third books far earlier here. The notion of parallel earths is very much implied even from the title sequence, but I understand that really wasn't present in the first book?

Last edited:

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
Reaction score
It's been a very long time since I read these books, but I think that's right about the parallel earths not being evident in the first book (at least, the parallel Oxfords). I absolutely loved this adaptation - I think they got it spot-on with pretty much everything and Ruth Wilson was exceptional as Mrs Coulter. I'm very much looking forward to the next series.

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Reaction score
It's been a very long time since I read these books, but I think that's right about the parallel earths not being evident in the first book (at least, the parallel Oxfords). I absolutely loved this adaptation - I think they got it spot-on with pretty much everything and Ruth Wilson was exceptional as Mrs Coulter. I'm very much looking forward to the next series.

I loved the way that on the brief occasions Coulter was actually shown to lose her temper her physicality shifted to match that of her daemon. Details like that were nice to see.

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
Reaction score
I loved the way that on the brief occasions Coulter was actually shown to lose her temper her physicality shifted to match that of her daemon. Details like that were nice to see.
Yes! She did some incredible pure-rage screaming. There was a scene where Lyra did the same at the same time, which I thought was wonderful.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
Yes! She did some incredible pure-rage screaming. There was a scene where Lyra did the same at the same time, which I thought was wonderful.
Like mother, like daughter? I am always impressed by what a bitchy face Ruth Wilson has. You would think that such a talented actress would have a larger filmography, but she seems to like doing actual theatre as well.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Ruth Wilson seems to have been trapped in a crappy contract for some US TV show over the past few years - it was in the news that she refused to do nudity on it, so out of frustration they had her character raped and murdered. Classy. She's better off out of that, and has been fantastic in HDM.