• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Much Does A Full Moon Affect Behaviour?

Just out of interest do we count 'full moon' as the more-or-less one day long period either side of the precise event or the roughly 1.85 days either side of the exactly point the moon is 'full', assuming each conventional phase is one eighth of a lunar month?

Just out of interest do we count 'full moon' as the more-or-less one day long period either side of the precise event or the roughly 1.85 days either side of the exactly point the moon is 'full', assuming each conventional phase is one eighth of a lunar month?
I have always taken it to be - down to the length of time of the most amount of intensity from the Sunlight that is reflected from the facing surface of the Moon to the Earth, which determined the actual 'Fullness of the Moon' (Full intensity of reflected Sunlight, before it appears to move into its lower visible Sunlight phases).

I have always taken it to be - down to the length of time of the most amount of intensity from the Sunlight that is reflected from the facing surface of the Moon to the Earth, which determined the actual 'Fullness of the Moon' (Full intensity of reflected Sunlight, before it appears to move into its lower visible Sunlight phases).
So how long would that be then?

At my age it is wishful thinking, but the full moon makes me feel romantic.

I love looking at full moon, this ball suspended just right above the earth.

At my age it is wishful thinking, but the full moon makes me feel romantic.

I love looking at full moon, this ball suspended just right above the earth.

Me too, looking up at it, you just gotta howl and run around on four paws, wagging your tail, before savaging some late night wanderer!

I'm sure we all feel the same.

I just read that the moon is within the earth's magnetic field for about a week centred on the full moon so maybe that has an affect.

I just read that the moon is within the earth's magnetic field for about a week centred on the full moon so maybe that has an affect.
Citation please. I don't really get what this means.

Citation please. I don't really get what this means.
Found this 'Sharon,' AI. . . [According to NASA, the Moon enters the magnetotail (?) three days before it is full and takes about six days to cross and exit on the other side. It is during those six days that strange things can happen.]
1687629007618.png
"SO BEWARE!"

Where do you think the word “lunatic “ comes from !

I personally am happier when there is a full moon.

Also, the neighbor is weirdly bright at night which is good.

Ok, since the moon is experiencing the effect, what does that have to do with moon madness on earth?
No connection here.
I've lived through over 2500 full moon nights and nothing happened. I'm not going to worry about it.
I 'imagine' one effect it could possibly have, would be one of producing a slightly more charged-up atmosphere, which 'might' have a cause-and-effect on some people? Not 'madness,' but possibly some low-key influence?

Last edited:
Ok, since the moon is experiencing the effect, what does that have to do with moon madness on earth?
No connection here.
I've lived through over 2500 full moon nights and nothing happened. I'm not going to worry about it.
I came across these web pages which I think you might find very informative on certain aspects of whether or not the Moon has any affects on people. . .
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/moon-effect.html
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/moon-effects-on-humans/
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190731-is-the-moon-impacting-your-mood-and-wellbeing

I came across these web pages which I think you might find very informative on certain aspects of whether or not the Moon has any affects on people. . .
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/moon-effect.html
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/moon-effects-on-humans/
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190731-is-the-moon-impacting-your-mood-and-wellbeing
I'm well up on my research on moon and human behavior, thanks. I've been collecting articles on it for 25 years.

I've been charting my dreams to see if a full, or fullish, moon affects my dreams. It does seem to make me more wakeful (because of the added light), and so I can remember my dreams more readily as I sleep and wake more frequently. I wonder if the increased light from outside makes people sleep less deeply and that affects their behaviour? I know when I haven't had a decent sleep I can be short tempered and irritable, and that frequent night waking can affect concentration etc.

So has anyone correlated changes of behaviour at full moon to life without streetlights or other external disturbances? I live in a village without streetlights, so a full moon is much more noticeable and shines in through my curtains, therefore it affects me far more than it would someone living in a nearby town who has a streetlight right outside their window. If my theory - full moon = less sleep = changes in behaviour is correct, then it should be far more noticeable among people who live very rurally or in places without external artificial lighting.

I've been charting my dreams to see if a full, or fullish, moon affects my dreams. It does seem to make me more wakeful (because of the added light), and so I can remember my dreams more readily as I sleep and wake more frequently. I wonder if the increased light from outside makes people sleep less deeply and that affects their behaviour? I know when I haven't had a decent sleep I can be short tempered and irritable, and that frequent night waking can affect concentration etc.

So has anyone correlated changes of behaviour at full moon to life without streetlights or other external disturbances? I live in a village without streetlights, so a full moon is much more noticeable and shines in through my curtains, therefore it affects me far more than it would someone living in a nearby town who has a streetlight right outside their window. If my theory - full moon = less sleep = changes in behaviour is correct, then it should be far more noticeable among people who live very rurally or in places without external artificial lighting.
When I seem to wake up after having had a strong dream, it's usually got more to do with getting far too hot, and I almost always can't remember what happened in it - just little snippets/bit's of flash-backs, then all is quickly erased from my memory, ("normally").

My mother worked as support to District Nurses, she always said that patients were more difficult and wounds "wetter" during a full moon, which she took as being the period when the moon was biggest- so couple of days either side. Never sure wether this is a nursing theory that re-inforces itself in the telling.

I have known may teachers say that the kids are at their antsiest when the weather is blustery and it feels like a storm is coming, which would suggest that atmospheric pressure could be a factor and bad behaviour is catching.

My mother worked as support to District Nurses, she always said that patients were more difficult and wounds "wetter" during a full moon, which she took as being the period when the moon was biggest- so couple of days either side. Never sure wether this is a nursing theory that re-inforces itself in the telling.

I have known may teachers say that the kids are at their antsiest when the weather is blustery and it feels like a storm is coming, which would suggest that atmospheric pressure could be a factor and bad behaviour is catching.
I can confirm that a high wind sets school pupils off.

I can confirm that a high wind sets school pupils off.
I find that I am far less agitated/angry/want to kill people when there's a good storm on the way especially when the humidity is high.
We don't get many days like that here, but even when there's just a bit of a breeze I much prefer it to a still day.

Perhaps it's an inbuilt reaction to possible 'danger' that younger people have, that they grow out of?
Or maybe it's just me.

Back