• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Possible Is Blade Runner?

When we be living the cities like those portrayed in "Blade Runner"?

• Within 10 years...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Within 20 years...

• Within 50 years...

• By the end of this Century...

• Never, we'll be dead by then!

• Total voters
was it a 'real chicken or one of those cheap replicant ones?
:)

If I could afford a real chicken, do you think I'd be eating in a place that serves it in a Calzone?

Warner Revisits 'Blade Runner'

Author: JOHN LATCHEM
[email protected]

Posted: May 26, 2006

Warner Home Video is bringing Ridley Scott’s futuristic film noir classic
Blade Runner back to DVD in a big way.

After recently securing a new long-term agreement for the worldwide rights to the 1982 film, Warner announced several new DVD releases to celebrate its 25th anniversary.

In September, Warner presents a limited four-month re-release of the 1992 director’s cut of the film, which was originally released as one of the
first DVDs in 1997. For years this has been the only version of the film
officially available on DVD.

“A number of people have told me that in the start-up days of DVD, Blade
Runner was absolutely the first DVD title they wanted, so much so that they purchased it even before their first DVD player,” said Jeff Baker, SVP and GM of WHV.

In 2007, Warner will unveil Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Scott’s definitive
new version of the cult classic, which stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer,
Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah.

The film will be released theatrically in select major U.S. cities, followed
by a multidisc special-edition DVD release that also will contain three
alternate versions of Blade Runner: the original U.S. theatrical cut, the
expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 cut. A wide array of
bonus features are being prepared for the anniversary edition.

“This is clearly Ridley’s signature film, and we are thrilled to have it
back,” Baker said.

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2&newsid=9175

Yeah baby!

I had the original cut on VHS, but it died years ago.

excellent news. I think this is the ONLY movie where the variations don't bother me. they're almost collectable. I mean, what I fell in love with was the cinema release. anything beyond that has always been an added bonus. Such is the strength of this movie...

unlike star wars which has people up in arms even over the rerelease of the original print (or not so original should we say).

Couldn't agree more - they're ALL good. I don't mind Deckard's Marlowesque voiceover in the first cut, either (I certainly don't think it wrecks the film - I know there are those that disagree.)

By the way, there's a broader discussion of the movie and it's place within the list of the most influential sci-fi films in this thread, which deserves a dusting off :).

sunsplash1 said:
Lennynero said...I always thought that they had been filmed in Tokyo, until I read Future Noir.

Bloody Good book by the way
:)

Agreed. Anyone who needs to whet their appetite before the new release should pick up a copy.

i preffered the voice over and the happy ending. call me a softie if u want.

The voice over is the best. It really gives you the feeling of a film noire town full of strange people and destinies.

Anome_ said:
OK: The flying cars (as in "Where the hell are the flying cars? It's the 21st Century, damnit!") are currently in development.

Exactly how far SkyCar will get is not clear. The guy behind it claims he is close to getting FAA approval, but he's been claiming that for a long time, and nothing has happened yet. Besides, air traffic control does not want a shirtload of new vehicles to keep track of.
SkyCar looks cool, but on take off its about as graceful as an obese old man trying to get out of the bath tub.

I think the buildings in Bladrunner where supposed to look like Zuggurats.

I thought the Tyrrell building was supposed to be a straight-out pyramid.

After all, in the real, original conception, it was supposed to be a mausoleum.

Hmmm. Have to say that mobile Chinese takeaways (in that they're sold in those little 'burger van' style units, rather than takeways that try to leap out of your hand) have been a regular feature of my local street market for some time now. When you see them in the gloom of a drizzly, foggy day, I often have to resist the temption to go up to them and say 'two...two...with noodles."

MrRING said:
Warner Revisits 'Blade Runner'

Author: JOHN LATCHEM
[email protected]

Posted: May 26, 2006

Warner Home Video is bringing Ridley Scott’s futuristic film noir classic
Blade Runner back to DVD in a big way.

Best news I've 'Eard in ages.

I was one of those Australians who purchased a copy of the DVD. Waited Eighteen months to get the player, but...
:p

Now that the Voice Over version finally is coming on DVD it is time to invest in an 80 inch Plasma flatscreen and some luxury home theatre equipment.
Just need to win on the lottery first.

Warner Home Video is bringing Ridley Scott’s futuristic film noir classic Blade Runner back to DVD in a big way.

Looks like it'll be worth the wait...

Ultimate Collectors Edition

The Ultimate Collector's Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase. In addition, each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, and collector's photographs, as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott.

Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM
Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also includes:

Commentary by Ridley Scott
Commentary by executive producer/co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher and co-screenwriter David Peoples; producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber
Commentary by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
DOCUMENTARY DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER
A feature-length authoritative documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this hugely influential cinema landmark. Cast, crew, critics and colleagues give a behind-the-scenes, in-depth look at the film -- from its literary roots and inception through casting, production, visuals and special effects to its controversial legacy and place in Hollywood history.

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION
This is the version that introduced U.S. movie-going audiences to a revolutionary film with a new and excitingly provocative vision of the near-future. It contains Deckard/Harrison Ford's character narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION
Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT
The Director's Cut omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famously-controversial "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he, too, may be a replicant.

Disc Four
BONUS DISC - "Enhancement Archive": 90 minutes of deleted footage and rare or never-before-seen items in featurettes and galleries that cover the film's amazing history, production teams, special effects, impact on society, promotional trailers, TV spots, and much more.

Featurette "The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick"
Featurette "Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film"
Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (audio)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (images)
The Art of Blade Runner (image galleries)
Featurette "Signs of the Times: Graphic Design"
Featurette "Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling"
Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
Featurette "The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth"
Unit photography gallery
Deleted and alternate scenes
1982 promotional featurettes
Trailers and TV spots
Featurette "Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art"
Marketing and merchandise gallery (images)
Featurette "Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard"
Featurette "--Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers"

Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION
This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It includes an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Batty (Rutger Hauer) and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), alternate music and much more. Also includes:

Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
Featurette "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut"

:D

Strangely, I've never been a big fan of Blade Runner (although it's kind of 'right up my street'!).

Doug Trumbull's FX are fantastic and Sid Mead's designs awesome - but it doesn't, for me, hang together as 'a film'.

I know it was a bad shoot - everyone complaining 'cos Scott was more interested in the lighting than the acting (and him and Ford came to 'logger heads' over this) - but there's some strange editorial decisions made. Especially toward the end of the film. The 'flow' gets 'lost'. Left to right - right to left - confusing images - and I gather this was down to people being more tired and p*ssed off than that for any 'artistic' reason.

Do we really need another version? The last 'Directors Cut' shortened the film (and removed the fractal photo scan), I guess he's put this back in!

Ive been bloody waiting ages for a boxset of all versions of Blade Runner and i hope we the briefcase boxset in the uk.

oh yeah...

Certainly on my Christmas list:
HERE

Amazon are bundling the Vangelis Soundtrack with the 5-dvd special edition for £22. That makes the soundtrack - IMHO one of the best ever - a measly £4 on top. All you need then are the bootleg recordings: Blade Runner: Esper Edition, & Blade Runner: Los Angeles, November 2019 plus the rather excellent computer game and Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner by Paul M. Sammon (New edition to tie in, of course) and you can call yourself a fan...

edit: I've heard good things about THIS : - Retrofitting Blade Runner: Issues in Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" and Philip K. Dick's "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?"
But i've not read it myself.

i got blade runner Ultimate Collectors Edition to day.

p.s it only cost me 22.95 form my local hmv.

megadeth16 said:
i got blade runner Ultimate Collectors Edition to day.

p.s it only cost me 22.95 form my local hmv.

Pretty good for five DVDs. I'm not sure I could be bothered watching different versions of the same film five times, mind you.

And what are you going to get for Christmas now?!

money from my mum and dad but i dont no what other things im geting.

Is that the briefcase version? With the toy spinner car and the origami unicorn? Will that be available here in Australia?

I think the 'briefcase' version is only available stateside. Which is odd. I can't imagine a shortge of buyers elsewhere.

Amazon.co.uk has it listed as - you can be notified when it comes available. Which means they're probably guessing. It's the blu-ray version.

DougalLongfoot said:
Is that the briefcase version? With the toy spinner car and the origami unicorn? Will that be available here in Australia?

Nope it's five discs in a tin box with a few production sketches and a movable image thingy in a plastic block. I think the Briefcase one is US only (could be wrong).

BTW MD you got robbed I got mine for £17.99 from Amazon (on pre-order).

Heckler20 said:
DougalLongfoot said:

Nope it's five discs in a tin box with a few production sketches and a movable image thingy in a plastic block. I think the Briefcase one is US only (could be wrong).

BTW MD you got robbed I got mine for £17.99 from Amazon (on pre-order).

now thats is cheap for 5 disks.

I actually got to see The Final Cut in a theater last weekend. I've been waiting over 20 years to see Blade Runner on the bigscreen. My last opportunity was in London in 1984 or so. My girlfriend and I got totally lost in Piccadilly Circus and never found the cinema it was playing in.

Bring a fan and almost knowing the film by heart, it was surprising that there was enough change to really keep my interest all the way through.

The best of all was the elimination of the obvious stunt woman crashing through the glass panels. They did a seamless job of digitally adding Joanna Cassidy's face and cleaning up the jarring shots of the stunt woman in a bad wig.

Anyway -- as forward looking and as cyberpunk cool as Blade Runner is, we live in a very different world and I believe we are headed in a totally different direction than that depicted in the film. (The last phone booth has been taken out of the building I work in... the movie totally messed up on that one!)

TVgeek

Back