• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How To Choose An Afterlife?

The thing about these 'ere afterlifes is - how long do they go on for? I mean we get a few years on this ball of dirt in an obscure corner of the universe and then what? An eternity of: playing harps, lolling about on clouds or whatever. Seems a bit disproportionate. Or if we get sent back for another go or to try and get it right, how long does that go on for?

The universe will end sometime, will afterlifes continue after the end of the universe? Even if we are all part of some interconnected thing that we call life that will finish when the universe ends.

So what is after the afterlife? Is there an after- afterlife? If so what's that like? Do dead souls become dark energy/matter only interacting with our universe via gravity?*

It only seems to work if whatever it is that we call life - and it is very difficult to define - is independent of the matter of the universe and if the perception of time in the afterlife is very different from our perception of it here. Otherwise unless it is unthinkably wonderful it may start to get a bit boring. Douglas Adams' Marvin may be right "The first million years were the worst."

*I mistyped this as gravy - makes about as much sense. I refer the room to Tony Hancock: "At least me Mum's gravy moved about a bit."
Well if you believe in there being millions of dimensions the problem is easily solved, the Universe in one dimension could be ending right now, dinosaurs could be roaming about in another. the battle of Hastings could be raging in one and the battle of Britten in another

I suspect that one some people are regressed they are actually regressed to the memories of another dimension carried over to this dimension which could account for the subtle differences, it's just a suspicion and there is no way of proving or disproving it

Well if you believe in there being millions of dimensions the problem is easily solved, the Universe in one dimension could be ending right now, dinosaurs could be roaming about in another. the battle of Hastings could be raging in one and the battle of Britten in another

I suspect that one some people are regressed they are actually regressed to the memories of another dimension carried over to this dimension which could account for the subtle differences, it's just a suspicion and there is no way of proving or disproving it
More than millions I'd guess if every alternate universe is created for every alternative action. However that pre supposes that the afterlife is some sort of re incarnation. If that is the case there are potentially a lot of other lives to lead but do we share those lives with other deceased or take turns at living them to see who does it better?

Unless these alternates work on differing laws of physics though they will all come to an end and don't forget it is eternity we are talking about here. So what happens then? Also is there a point to living these other lives? Do we get rewarded or punished each time in some sort of mystical life appraisal.

As you say there is no way to prove or disprove your suspicion but is it just putting off the ultimate next stage; whether it be enlightenment, damnation, or just nothing?

I have a feeling that we fear nothing because we can't imagine a world that exists outside of our perception of it. Once we're dead we won't fear it, we won't be able to 'cos we'll be, well, dead! :)

As I've aged, ahem, had more life experience, I partly think that our lives here are hell. If there is a hell, which I don't believe.

Looking figuratively at descriptions of hell instead of literally, this world we inhabit fits. We bring about our own suffering.

How would we not know that it is already hell? The threats of hell do not deter those who wish harm to others. So, there is no purpose in the belief of hell for us as humans. Unless we are already here and, as drawn by Dante, there are levels. And with this thought, souls can progress up levels so the threat of hell may be a reminder that things can be made better and those who try can progress.

It may be that the afterlife people think of is the place we go upon overcoming hell. Why else do some people try to better lives for others? If we have not yet been there (those of us in this world, hell) then we cannot describe it and have no knowledge about it, only a hope that we go there.

If an afterlife, I like to think that I would be of some form that is able to help humans better themselves.

I have no fear of being dead, because I will be dead. There is no escaping that fact. So if there is an afterlife, then I will be greatly surprised and happy.

The actual philosophical discussion of an afterlife is interesting. However when it comes to a religion, it's not really a discussion.

It's carrot or stick.

"Behave yourself and be nice and you go to a nice place forever etc."
"Don't do what we say, or even believe in us, then you go to a nasty place forever etc."
What both carrot and stick have in common that to experience them, you have to be dead. So either ways, you have to take the priests word for it - faith y'see.
Apart from in fiction (such as A Christmas Carol), are there any reports of spirits via a medium or seance, or a ghost, that say "Cor, lummie - I wish I'd listened to the reverend - the amount of suffering and torment on this side of the veil would make yer eyes water"?
Or do spiritualist churches have a form of pre-selection to filter out the non-comforting?
This is apart from 'pronouncements' by demonic entities which seem to be a separate class of paranormal being.

The actual philosophical discussion of an afterlife is interesting. However when it comes to a religion, it's not really a discussion.

It's carrot or stick.

"Don't do what we say, or even believe in us, then you go to a nasty place forever etc."
What both carrot and stick have in common that to experience them, you have to be dead. So either ways, you have to take the priests word for it - faith y'see.
Apart from in fiction (such as A Christmas Carol), are there any reports of spirits via a medium or seance, or a ghost, that say "Cor, lummie - I wish I'd listened to the reverend - the amount of suffering and torment on this side of the veil would make yer eyes water"?
Or do spiritualist churches have a form of pre-selection to filter out the non-comforting?
This is apart from 'pronouncements' by demonic entities which seem to be a separate class of paranormal being.
Depends on the religion. There's been many universalists throughout history. Dickens might possibly have lent in that direction, I believe. As did many other famous folk. I collated a big list years ago, but lost it sadly.

Edit:
Found it, lol :)
https://forum.evangelicaluniversalist.com/t/list-of-those-of-who-reject-traditional-hellism/3594

Dickens, Charles (1812-1870), celebrated author of Oliver Twist, *David Copperfield *and Great Expectations:
‘Let nothing pass, for every hand/ Shall find some work to do/ Lose not a chance to waken Love/ Be Firm, and Just, and True/ So shall a Light that never Fade/ Shine on thee from on High/ and Angel Voices say to Thee/ These Things Shall Never Die’ (These Thing Shall Never Die).

Last edited:

It's carrot or stick.

Well, at least some religions have a philosophical approach of the topic. The pity is that, because of politics, lazyness and because not everybody is inclined towards philosophy (or trained to develop a curious mind), manichean "carrot or stick" beliefs tend to spread far and wide at the expanse of more subtle reflexions. Yet, both have their positive, valuable "uses".

In Buddhism, for instance, according to the "Prajnaparamita sutras", our lives are considered an illusion. And the same is true for our so-called "afterlives", be they located in Heaven or in the numerous buddhist under-worlds. Neither of these existences are considered "true". They're all fictions, like dreams or mirages. The dreamer takes the characters in his dream for himself, and rejoices or suffers according to their adventures. He can only break free by waking up, hence the name of this doctrine : Buddhism is the religion of the "bodhi", which means "awakening" (no relation whatsoever with "wokism"). What lies after the "awakening", nobody can really tell ...

" Carrot & stick" is not always used for heinous purposes. In Buddhism and sister religions such as Tibetan Bon, it is also a tool to encourage "deluded" people towards spiritual progress. When your frenzied neighbour is about to murder his whole family, it might be expedient to appeal to his fears (by threatening to call the police) rather than to enter a philosophical debate on the unethical nature of his acts ... So, the issue is not so much about the tool ("carrot and stick") but about the "intention" of the one using the tool.

Now regarding the lack of after-life spirit feedbacks :

There are plenty of documented feedbacks from deceased people supporting the "carrot & stick" vision of the afterlife. Unfortunately, one can suspect that they most of the time purport an ideological agenda, precisely because (1) they support a "carrot & stick" vision, (2) they are documented by living people ... who can always be suspected from telling stories which support their own views.

Here are a few examples :

* The last books of Plato's Republic tells the "myth of Er the Pamphylian", one of the earliest recorded NDE histories. Er, a soldier left to die on a battlefield, revives long enough to tell what he saw of the afterlife. To summarize to the extreme, what he reports fits extremely well with Plato's philosophy of self-control (foolish people choose the wrong afterlife, sages like Ulysses, prefer a modest after life). So can we trust the great philosopher ? Does he give us an impartial view of Er's experience ? And did Er even really exist ? Probably not.

* In the Middle Ages, in Catalonia, a popular song tells the story of Comte Arnau (Count Arnau) a cruel noble man who comes back from hell mounted on a demonic horse, to harass his former wife. She's very surprised to see him alive and unwell. The undead count asks the permission to take their daughter back with him. When his wife rejects his demands, he goes on to describe in ominous terms his current condition, and ends up requesting some prayers to alleviate his pains.

The whole story is so typical of the catholic beliefs of the era that it can hardly considered a reliable testimony ...

For those interested, you can listen to this medieval song in Jordi Savall's CD "Cancons de la Catalunya Millenaria" (https://www.amazon.fr/Cançons-Catalunya-Millenaria-Jordi-Savall/dp/B002JKBL66 )

* I am sure everybody here knows about the story of Odran of Iona : the monk who was buried alive to sanctify the foundations of Iona's monastery. When disintered, he alledgedly revived just long enough to tell that he had seen hell and that it wasn't all that bad ! WHich prompted his saviours to re-bury him immediately. The humourous story is still told to the tourists visiting Iona, but I can't trace its origins. In any case, can we consider such a testimony reliable ? Probably not.

And what about mediums ? Could we trust their tales just because they say they spoke with great grandpa ? Even if they do not represent a "religion" (and some actually do), they also have their agenda.

NDE's are interesting, on the other hand, because the actual witness, is the one who tells the story. And it seems that although some people do experience "hellish" or "paradisiac" experiences in NDE, it is not necessarily correlated with their own belief system. I can't find back the website where I saw these stats but it appears that the more "orthodox / religious integrist" victims of NDE thereafter tend to adopt more moderate views about religion & the afterlife [but "god" knows what biases went into the study collected this data, and which source I can't locate].

So all we know is that we cannot know anything. I guess I should be ashamed to conclude thusly such a long development. Sorry ! :-D

As I've aged, ahem, had more life experience, I partly think that our lives here are hell. If there is a hell, which I don't believe.

Looking figuratively at descriptions of hell instead of literally, this world we inhabit fits. We bring about our own suffering.

How would we not know that it is already hell? The threats of hell do not deter those who wish harm to others. So, there is no purpose in the belief of hell for us as humans. Unless we are already here and, as drawn by Dante, there are levels. And with this thought, souls can progress up levels so the threat of hell may be a reminder that things can be made better and those who try can progress.

It may be that the afterlife people think of is the place we go upon overcoming hell. Why else do some people try to better lives for others? If we have not yet been there (those of us in this world, hell) then we cannot describe it and have no knowledge about it, only a hope that we go there.

If an afterlife, I like to think that I would be of some form that is able to help humans better themselves.

I have no fear of being dead, because I will be dead. There is no escaping that fact. So if there is an afterlife, then I will be greatly surprised and happy.
An interesting idea and one I've never thought of before. Are we already in hell when we are bombarded with images of horrendous suffering around the world, people we love suffer and die terrible crimes are committed and so called natural events devastate lives? Is this in fact some pre or in fact post "life"? I wonder.

I don't think there's likely anything other than the physicalist world we experience routinely around us. If it's miserable we may describe it as hellish, but it's a far cry from the hell of religious damnation.

I've sometimes wondered if we are in a kind of "last chance saloon" limbo-type place. We are neither irremediable nor pure, so we're dumped in a place with plenty of pain and suffering, and lots of opportunities to make things better or worse for our fellow inhabitants, in order to sort us one way or the other. There have been communications via mediums, seances etc. suggesting our world is a prison; yet we can't take that seriously either because the communicators spout all sorts of nonsense, seemingly to deliberately mislead or confuse us.

The thing about these 'ere afterlifes is - how long do they go on for? I mean we get a few years on this ball of dirt in an obscure corner of the universe and then what? An eternity of: playing harps, lolling about on clouds or whatever. Seems a bit disproportionate. Or if we get sent back for another go or to try and get it right, how long does that go on for?

The universe will end sometime, will afterlifes continue after the end of the universe? Even if we are all part of some interconnected thing that we call life that will finish when the universe ends.

So what is after the afterlife? Is there an after- afterlife? If so what's that like? Do dead souls become dark energy/matter only interacting with our universe via gravity?*

It only seems to work if whatever it is that we call life - and it is very difficult to define - is independent of the matter of the universe and if the perception of time in the afterlife is very different from our perception of it here. Otherwise unless it is unthinkably wonderful it may start to get a bit boring. Douglas Adams' Marvin may be right "The first million years were the worst."

*I mistyped this as gravy - makes about as much sense. I refer the room to Tony Hancock: "At least me Mum's gravy moved about a bit."
There are far more pressing matters to consider.
I for example, forgot to buy some cheese today.

There are far more pressing matters to consider.
I for example, forgot to buy some cheese today.
Well, my son if you subscribe to my church of fermented milk products and hand me your life savings I can promise you an afterlife with plentiful cheeses of all kinds. Illchester for example, staggeringly popular in these parts.

Well, my son if you subscribe to my church of fermented milk products and hand me your life savings I can promise you an afterlife with plentiful cheeses of all kinds. Illchester for example, staggeringly popular in these parts.
Don't listen! The church of fermented milk products are heretics who also adore yoghurt. Only the church of true cheeses can offer an afterlife free of yoghurt.

Not my personal beliefs but living in the U.S. southern Bible Belt, every thing is laid out such as a heaven and hell and what happens when you die.

So depending on you religion, your afterlife is taken care of.

As they said it would be sad if we were the only ones in the universe, and like wise it would sad if there is nothing after death.

Back