• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How We Relate To The Planet

For posterity (or just for fun), here is one of the places my teenage self would go searching for hidden, mystical knowledge :)

Rapids.jpg

Also, found this website that collects information about mystical experiences:
http://imere.org/
Looks pretty neat.

For posterity (or just for fun), here is one of the places my teenage self would go searching for hidden, mystical knowledge :)

View attachment 4131

Also, found this website that collects information about mystical experiences:
http://imere.org/
Looks pretty neat.
Really nice. I'd be as likely to go looking for hidden mystical trout there, some think that very similar to a mystical experience.

If I think about the awesomeness of creation and my place in it I get the fear and have to think about something else.

If I think about the awesomeness of creation and my place in it I get the fear and have to think about something else.

The solution to the fear is simple - don't imagine yourself as separate from creation, but as part of it.
It's simple, but not necessarily easy.

It's well worth the effort, though.

I just get the weird big/small feeling if I do that (there's a thread on it). Or more accurately the weird absolutely universe-sized vast/incredibly infinitesimal feeling.

I just get the weird big/small feeling if I do that (there's a thread on it). Or more accurately the weird absolutely universe-sized vast/incredibly infinitesimal feeling.
Ah, okay. I never get that sensation so don't know the remedy, alas.

I do think it's a good mental exercise to ponder infinity, provided one can do so without going mad! :)

Ah, okay. I never get that sensation so don't know the remedy, alas.

I do think it's a good mental exercise to ponder infinity, provided one can do so without going mad! :)

I used to be able to do it when I was a kid, but as a pathologically terrified adult it's a bit much to contemplate. Even looking at a fairly sizeable picture of Planet Earth makes me feel a bit wobbly. That Hitchhiker's Guide bit was no joke!

I used to be able to do it when I was a kid, but as a pathologically terrified adult it's a bit much to contemplate. Even looking at a fairly sizeable picture of Planet Earth makes me feel a bit wobbly. That Hitchhiker's Guide bit was no joke!
So sorry to hear that. Is that a form of agoraphobia or simply garden variety anxiety that prohibits mental and emotional extension to the broader context? It must be very debilitating and I hope you find a way around, through or beyond the condition.

One of the things I do, less regularly these days with family to herd, is to take people who've never been before to the Outback of SA. Most people find the experience awe inspiring. Usually they don't go all verbal and start crying, but get very quiet. They go internal a little more perhaps than their daily routines allow. At that point I just shut up and let nature take its course. It is fascinating to ponder how exposure to the depths and dimensions of the external can open up the depths and dimensions of the internal as well. I get great satisfaction watching it happen to others.

So that's why I think it's worth talking to someone about working through any condition which disables your capacity to find this fullness. It really is worthwhile.

I had hopes that this documentary would be a pure focus on the nature of the First Australians' relationship with the earth without the politics, but I concede it is all part of the life Indigenous Australians deal with now. I'll still get a look at it anyway. http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/...nts-show-what-connection-country-really-means . Here is the link to the re-view option, but it may not be available outside Oz. Sorry for that. I'll keep an eye out for an upload somewhere else for those of you abroad if that is the case.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/you-are-here

Many years ago in the last century, David Maybury-Lewis produced a TV series called Millenium: tribal wisdom and the modern world. I video recorded it and watched it many times. In one episode, a Dutchman felt a call to Australia and skipped the cities on his way in, flying directly into Broome and walking from there to the sacred lands of the Luritjarri people in NW Australia, where he resides to this day as far as I know.

He was tutored under Elder Paddy Rowe (RIP) and learned the Luritjarri philosophy, which he explained thus:
We (westerners) know that all of matter is made up of particles that hold a form for a time and then destruct to reform in another way. In the Indigenous way of looking, the thing that holds it together is the Song. The song creates the vibration and the vibration keeps that form strong through the ages. Although matter is ever changing and altering, the pure form still exists in the Song.
I thought about how that relates to Plato's ideology of the pure form, not as it is in nature but as it pertains to an ideal form. And here it was 10,000 miles away and a few thousand years prior, and this idea was there for such a long long time.

The Dutch guy then went on to say that hard science shunts notions of a hidden or subeternal reality into the supernatural, and also designates the term quantum to behaviour it can't yet explain, yet the Aborigines understand their experience of life without all that. They have a perspective and a lifestyle which enables the non-material experiences of life to be incorporated seamlessly into the mundane "eyes open" world of the senses. Whole people, fully alive.

I found that strongly attractive, and it was part of what I attempted to build into a thesis when I was at uni. Connection to country transcends material ownership. The Song, the ancient tribal voice is what continues to sustain the environment, but when the Song breaks, the people breaks. I suspect, tentatively, that the whites knew this to be the case when they stole thousands of Aboriginal kids away from their parents, their land, their lore, their language and their Songs, never to experience any of them again, in an Act of genocidal violence enshrined in white law.

So sorry to hear that. Is that a form of agoraphobia or simply garden variety anxiety that prohibits mental and emotional extension to the broader context? It must be very debilitating and I hope you find a way around, through or beyond the condition.

One of the things I do, less regularly these days with family to herd, is to take people who've never been before to the Outback of SA. Most people find the experience awe inspiring. Usually they don't go all verbal and start crying, but get very quiet. They go internal a little more perhaps than their daily routines allow. At that point I just shut up and let nature take its course. It is fascinating to ponder how exposure to the depths and dimensions of the external can open up the depths and dimensions of the internal as well. I get great satisfaction watching it happen to others.

So that's why I think it's worth talking to someone about working through any condition which disables your capacity to find this fullness. It really is worthwhile.

Well, I don't think anyone's interested in my medical history (!). But I find avoiding pictures of planets in their globular entirety helps. Actually, looking at that written down it is weird, isn't it? I'm a bit "other side of the world" for an Outback trip, alas, but I do like to watch films set there. But my infinitesimal place in the Universe, that I'd rather not contemplate.

This is all very interesting.

A while ago I was thinking of starting a thread titled "Moments of awe and wonder" inspired by the feelings engendered by nature/landscape/place. Now I don't have to!

I've had lots and lots of these experiences. I'll share this one...

As mentioned in other threads, I lived in Japan for a number of years. I was flying back to Tokyo after a long weekend visiting friends in Singapore. It was February and as the plane turned I saw the rising sun (rising over the land of the rising sun!) Lit up by it was the Pacific coastline, the top half of Mount Fuji rising through a layer of cloud, while behind it marched the snow-clad peaks of the Southern Alps. It was stunning. I was also slightly pained that the way I got this amazing feeling of connection to the planet was by sitting in a plane that was polluting the atmosphere.

I felt I was everything and nothing at the same time.

Back