• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wombat68

I'll be chilling at Booya Moon
For background I have always wanted a garnet ring I found the perfect one in an antique barn so brought it. The next day I was showing it to a colleague at work when from behind us came a sharp intake of breath followed by another colleague running from the room. Five minutes later I'm called into HR colleague has reported me for bringing spirits into the workplace whaaat!!!! I don't know how HR kept a straight face bearing in mind we work in a Victorian arts centre that probably was full of ghosts long before my haunted jewellery appeared. I do believe that objects can be 'haunted' for want of a better word but I've felt nothing with this ring. Colleague wants me to stop wearing it is this the time to tell her I'm a practising witch and completely blow her tiny mind

For background I have always wanted a garnet ring I found the perfect one in an antique barn so brought it. The next day I was showing it to a colleague at work when from behind us came a sharp intake of breath followed by another colleague running from the room. Five minutes later I'm called into HR colleague has reported me for bringing spirits into the workplace whaaat!!!! I don't know how HR kept a straight face bearing in mind we work in a Victorian arts centre that probably was full of ghosts long before my haunted jewellery appeared. I do believe that objects can be 'haunted' for want of a better word but I've felt nothing with this ring. Colleague wants me to stop wearing it is this the time to tell her I'm a practising witch and completely blow her tiny mind
I am quite surprised that HR took this seriously.

Can you post a photo of the ring?

Behold the haunted ring of doom. I quite like the idea of there being a spirit attached but alas I haven't seen anything

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It is indeed lovely, Which is PROOF that the evil spirit is trying to get you to keep it! Be strong and send it to me instead.

Nice stones, well set and I like the width of the band too.

It's really intriguing that your colleague's strange reaction to it was instant and that she was alarmed enough to run straight to HR without even saying anything to you. What on Earth was her problem? Could she actually see the spirits? I am trying not to be too judgmental but it does seem a very odd thing to do. Does she have a cultural background that perhaps has a more accepting attitude to the idea of spirits?

I do remember in the first office I worked in one of the older women was very into telling people about their auras, which she claimed to be able to see all the time. It was the first time I had heard of such a thing. The others in the office were all very tolerant and respectful to her, but I did become aware that some of them thought she was just a bit weird, or was making things up.

I suppose, to be respectful, you could refrain from wearing the ring at work (I dunno, maybe it reminds this woman of something traumatic and she's using 'spirits' so as not to have to reveal this).

Can I just say ...
I'm a big fan of the (correct) usage of the word "Hullabaloo"!
I suppose, to be respectful, you could refrain from wearing the ring at work (I dunno, maybe it reminds this woman of something traumatic and she's using 'spirits' so as not to have to reveal this).
Good point, though as a matter of honesty and personal choice, I'd still wear it.
It's the co-workers problem. If they were to explain without involving some other 'influence', then it's called rational reasoning and the response can be consideration. Just being told "Don't wear it - they get bad 'ju-ju'!" is as effective as any belief system being imposed on non-believers.

Can I just say ...

Good point, though as a matter of honesty and personal choice, I'd still wear it.
It's the co-workers problem. If they were to explain without involving some other 'influence', then it's called rational reasoning and the response can be consideration. Just being told "Don't wear it - they get bad 'ju-ju'!" is as effective as any belief system being imposed on non-believers.
I know. I'm just thinking the most sympathetic thing I possibly can (because it's otherwise just barking) and if, say, someone had been assaulted by someone wearing a ring like that and didn't want to explain, they might just say the first thing they could come up with.... ghosts.

I know, bonkers, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

A personal trauma - no matter how valid, as you suggest - should not enforce unreasonable restrictions on anyone without explanation or mediation.
It's like me declaring that a co-worker shouldn't wear anything the colour red. The reason I might demand this is because I'd suffered a serious psychological incident involving the colour red. Why is it the employers - or the co-workers - responsibility to accede to demands ... just because "the ghosts said I shouldn't"?

A personal trauma - no matter how valid, as you suggest - should not enforce unreasonable restrictions on anyone without explanation or mediation.
It's like me declaring that a co-worker shouldn't wear anything the colour red. The reason I might demand this is because I'd suffered a serious psychological incident involving the colour red. Why is it the employers - or the co-workers - responsibility to accede to demands ... just because "the ghosts said I shouldn't"?
Oh, they absolutely have no leg to stand on with the demand whatsoever. I'm just thinking my way around the problem. Of course it doesn't work as simply as 'I don't like that, you have to stop'. But, of course, HR could have known there was a real reason for the objection (because otherwise HR's involvement is just nonsensical).

Colleague wants me to stop wearing it is this the time to tell her I'm a practising witch and completely blow her tiny mind
Probably for the best if you don't tell anyone. There are still plenty of people about who would react in a completely irrational manner towards you.

It's really intriguing that your colleague's strange reaction to it was instant and that she was alarmed enough to run straight to HR without even saying anything to you. What on Earth was her problem? Could she actually see the spirits? I am trying not to be too judgmental but it does seem a very odd thing to do. Does she have a cultural background that perhaps has a more accepting attitude to the idea of spirits?

I do remember in the first office I worked in one of the older women was very into telling people about their auras, which she claimed to be able to see all the time. It was the first time I had heard of such a thing. The others in the office were all very tolerant and respectful to her, but I did become aware that some of them thought she was just a bit weird, or was making things up.
I've found out she's quite religious and has complained about people being godless :dunno:

Can I just say ...

Hullabaloo is my favourite word

Oh, they absolutely have no leg to stand on with the demand whatsoever. I'm just thinking my way around the problem. Of course it doesn't work as simply as 'I don't like that, you have to stop'. But, of course, HR could have known there was a real reason for the objection (because otherwise HR's involvement is just nonsensical).
I think HR were just placating her of course I don't have to wear the ring It is jammed on one of my sausage fingers at the moment I might not any choice but to keep it on

Back