• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hypnotism

hypnosis- is it real or BS

• load of hooey

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Might be true in some instances

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It's true I think, but I've never been hypnotised

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I have been hypnotised in the past/ am at the moment and it worked so I belive in it

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

oll_lewis

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hypnosis- Is it all guff?

6 years ago I went to see a stage hypnotist of some renown.

When he asked for voleteers from the audience to be hypnotysed I jumped at the chance, I'd been interested in hypnotysam for years and this would be a perfect chance to test it out to see if all the rumours were true... how wrong I was. :(
The scabby old chanser did his mysitic mumbo jumbo to put us into 'trances' ("you're on a beach you can feal the sea lapping at your toes, Albertros! etc, etc.") but yust before he went to each of us to say "sleap" he wispered to us "ok, play along and we'll have some fun here.".

My ilusions were shattered, I'd been realy looking falward to this and being a 17 year old I was intregued by the posibility of the x-ray specs routine.

This experience left me beliveing that there was no such thing as real hypnotisam and it was probably all trickery or just to build peoples confidence up. the question is however, is dose any one here have any real and profound experience of hypnotism actully working? have you had a past life regression done? if so did you just make something up, just to impress the hypnotist? dose anyone actuly beleave in hypnotysam, and want to try and convince be I'm wrong? or do you agree with my scepticisam here?

According to a FOAF who underwent stage hypnotism, he said he was fully conscious of what he was doing, but just didn't care. All it seems to do is remove your inhibitions, rather than make you do or think things against your will or better judgement.

Not that I'm an expert, but doesnt hypnotism put people into a highly suggestible state? I couldn't imagine dragging loads of strangers onto a stage and then asking them to play along and do all sorts of embarassing stuff. However, if I hypnotised them all first they might just do it, being vulnerable to any suggestion I might offer (as long as it doesnt go directly against their will).

The real question is, did you play along when the hypnotist suggested to? If so, dude, maybe you WERE hypnotised! :eek!!!!:

I played along because I was there with a load of people from work, we were slightly tipsy and I am a bit of an extrovert.

Stage hypnotism, I think, works on the same principle as PT barnums great unknown. In that if you you are in on the secret you play along mainly so that you become the trickster not the person being tricked. I enjoyed myself acting like a fool safe in the knolage that everyone in the audience thinks you're hypnotised.

Dark Detective said:
According to a FOAF who underwent stage hypnotism, he said he was fully conscious of what he was doing, but just didn't care. All it seems to do is remove your inhibitions, rather than make you do or think things against your will or better judgement.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I saw a stage hypnotist a few years back and that was the impression I got.
I don't think they can't make you do anything under hypnosis that you wouldn't normally do though.

Then again, these are stage performers who we are talking about, and maybe a hypnotherapist would be different. I'm not in any position to judge that, so I'd say that it's probably a "real occurence" under some circumstances.

But then there was the woman who (this is a FOAFOAFOAFOAF) was told she was being electrocuted and died onstage.

My childhood hero, the great scientist Richard Feynman, mentioned a similar encounter with a stage hypnotist...

He was, he believed, fully concious and aware thoughout the experience and decided to "play along" just for fun. But, when the hypnotist told him to go directly back to his seat, he decided to take a round-about way instead. He only found out later that that was exactly what the hypnotist had told him to do!

(I think the book is Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! , but I have more books than bookshelves so typically can't find it right now...)

Jane.

Suggestion works, though I am rather shocked that any stage
hypnotist needs to whisper "play along" in anyone's ear to get a
result.

One person in twenty is highly suggestible. I have had ample
opportunity to try this out. Thank goodness I am a nice person. :)

Mainly. :rolleyes:

One's own experience with a hypnotist may not be the best basis for judgement, as Feynman showed. He believed himself to be 'playing along' when he was actually hypnotised.

I believe hypnotism works, to the extent that I'd never volunteer myself for it in a million years!

A work colleague of mine was married to a hypnotherapist. She told me that it certainly did work. People would pay for a set number of sessions to help with phobias, weight loss etc, and as it wasn't cheap they did their best to comply!

Spooky angel said:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I saw a stage hypnotist a few years back and that was the impression I got.
I don't think they can't make you do anything under hypnosis that you wouldn't normally do though.

I'd beg to differ.

They can manipulate you into doing something you wouldn't normally do (eg. perhaps for moral reasons) by turning you against the subject in question whilst under the influence, so to speak.

For example getting you to hate a friend by saying they'd committed crimes against your family.

I'm not suggesting any governments have ever used more extreme versions of this programme. :D

I have seen minor surgery performed under hypnosis and have used the technique in the past to remove the fear of visiting the dentist for one friend, and also to assist in pain relief in chidbirth for my ex. and some of our friends. I learned 'how to do it' about 40 yrs ago and used to put on an act popular at parties, but eventually decided that this was a stupid mis-use of a medically induced condition and cut out the jokey uses. Stage performances were banned as illegal a long time ago, but it seems that no-one is bothered by this! So, yes, it is scientific fact that hypnosis works to varying degrees on people, unfortunately for its medical use, not on everyone.

NOW gaze into my eyes....... :D

I'm not suggesting any governments have ever used more extreme versions of this programme
I should certainly hope not! We have always been at war with Oceania.

I'm not desputeing the fact that 'hypnosis' can have positive effects on helping someone get over a phobia or something, but what I do dispute is the lie (in my experience of it) that you get put into a trance that can unlock hidden area of the mind and make you halusinate, visit past lives etc etc.

To have on effect on a phobia all you have to do is somehow convince the person at ease and convince them the phobia is gone. It's a bit of smoke and mirrors of course but that approch dose appear to work. Phobias can be delt with by accupunture, accupressure, aromatheropy, yoga, advertion therapy, telepathy, phyco therapy and a mirriad of other methods as well as hypnosis. As those methods all take different approches at different parts of the body also one could point out that if all aproches work then phobias just depend on the person being put at ease to be delt with.

In my opinion hypnotheropy is just normal counciling with a bit of mumbo jumbo thrown in. thats not to say it's not as valid a way to deal with a phobia or something as say accupunture, it's just a bit of a con that it trys to present it as something it's not.
I could be wrong of course

It would be nice to hear from anyone thats had a real trance from hypnosis or past life regression to tell us about it on this thred though, I for one remain unconvinced. :)

I will never forget one of the experiences I had while hypnotized. I was in my father's arms and he was wearing the red wool plaid shirt he often wore. Now there is nothing so amazeing about that-except that it was so real! I was child size, being held in his left arm up against the scratchy shirt. Unforgettable. There is nothing to "believe" about hypnosis. It is an absolutely real mental state.

Roughly a third of the population can be put into a deep hypnotic state, a trance if you like. This state offers you control over their physiological functions normally automatic, ie you can control heartrate, sensory stimulus, muscles etc. which means you can induce anaesthesia in a chosen area, complete contraction of muscles - paralysis - and also, more interestingly, control over perceptions so that you can induce hallucinations, block out things such as NOT seeing something though it's there, and all manner of mind tricks. However the area that is full of traps & interest for ft'rs is regression, this does work, but is a mindfield. You would be amazed at the inventiveness of ordinary folk who say that they could never write a story, act, etc. but under hypnosis will prove to be incredibly inventive! I have tried experiments into regression before birth, but never come up with any provable hard evidence about a subject's previous lives. Even though I have read plenty of books based on this I'm still sceptical.:(

Hoooooooooooooooooo

While sorting CDs I have found a ''Lose Weight By Hynotism' CD by Chris James -
Chris James

I am off to listen to it now............ I am feeeling sleeeeeeepy............ funny, it isn't playing yet.....................

Many years ago, my husband and I attended a hypnosis session to stop smoking. The hypnotist had been highly recommended by several friends who successfully quit and convinced us to give it a try.

Throughout the session, we were both fully conscious and aware of what was going on around us. The "goings on" consisted of us sitting there with our eyes closed while the hypnotist spewed a non-stop stream of "suggestions": "You do not want to smoke; you do not need to smoke; smoking is bad" etc. etc.

We were both aware that, at some point, the hypnotist turned on a tape recording of his own voice speaking those suggestions.

It was a very peculiar experience and to this day, neither my husband nor I are quite sure that we ever actually "went under." We do agree, however, that when we "came to," we were both sure that we were only about 5 minutes into what was supposed to be a 30 minute session. In fact, 30 minutes had elapsed (of course, it's entirely possible we just fell asleep).

As far as efficacy, it's hard to say. For about 2 days, I truly had no desire to smoke and didn't. Nor did I miss it. By the third day, however, I was chomping at the bit. I fought the cravings for about 3 weeks before I succumbed. My husband said he had no craving for about a week. After that, he was on his own, so to speak, and eventually picked up the habit again too. And we've been smoking ever since.

Again, not sure what to make of it but I know I certainly wouldn't pay for the experience again.

Funny, the sudden 'loss' of time-

I put the hypnosis CD on and lay down to listen, following the instructions- close eyes, relax, listen etc...............

When it finished I was amazed to find how long it had been on- I too thought it had been 5 minutes- it was nearer 30-odd.

Chris told me to stop snacking between meals and to visualise myself in new, well-fitting SMALLER SIZED clothes.

Seemed to work- I stayed away from the toaster all of yesterday!

I visited a recommended hypnotherapist while going through a period of anxiety but found I just could not be hypnotised at all. I simply cannot "visualise" on cue. I still went back for 3 subsequent sessions, though, as it was quite relaxing.

I also got sent offstage after volunteering for a stage magician's show at university, but he told me I "wasn't compatible" and I was sent back to my seat.

I wonder what makes people like me unhypnotisable?

Takes more than one session to cure the smoking addiction ( I've had success with this) and the subject doesn't need to be in the deep sleep condition for it to be effective. However, people with a strong addiction can have it cured only to find that they have substituted something else to replace it after a week or so. Eating more lovely cake and chocos is one example :D It helps to find out more about why they smoke or whatever inc. regression back to their first ciggy rather than just making cigs taste nasty for them.

Court rules paul mckenna (tv hypnotist) not responcible for

From the Reuters (via the daily mirror)

McKenna wins libel damages from BBC 13:47, Oct 6 2003

LONDON (Reuters) - Stage hypnotist Paul McKenna has won libel damages and a public apology from the BBC over an article that appeared on the broadcaster's website which suggested he had played a part in a man's illness.

The offending article referred to a High Court case in which McKenna was sued by a man who claimed he had developed schizophrenia after appearing in one of the hypnotist's shows.

The case brought by the alleged victim, Christopher Gates, was thrown out by the judge who said he was not persuaded there was any meaningful link between hypnosis and schizophrenia, and that it was "highly improbable" that Gates's illness had anything to do with his participation in the show.

However on the day the case was dismissed, the BBC published an article on its website headed "Expert Opinion Divides over McKenna Verdict" which quoted claims by hypnotherapist, Derek Crussell, saying that if McKenna's hypnosis was not the cause of Gates's problems, his appearance on stage had triggered them.

McKenna's lawyer Jonathan Coad said that the judge had found that Crussell's own treatment of Gates had contributed to his mental problems.

Following Monday's hearing at the High Court, the BBC agreed to pay McKenna's legal costs in addition to apologising and paying undisclosed damages.

"I regret having to take legal action against the BBC for a second time over defamatory statements about me, but I had no choice when it published a quotation from a discredited source which was untrue and defamatory of me," McKenna said in a statement.

The hypnotism thread

There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to hypnotism - problem solved.
Something's going on here and it ought to be discussed.

I've just downloaded a plethora of e-books on the subject. And my aim is to become an adept.

What are your views on hypnotism?

Hypnotism, hooo!
I wouldn't dare go to a live hypno show as I'm sure it would work on me.

I fall about laughing at Paul McKenna on t'box. That'd be me, that would.

i've been hypnotised, by a hypnotherapist dude.
he got me to stare at a pin on the wall.
he told me that he wanted my subconcious to take control of my left little finger, that he was going to count back the years of my life and if anything traumatic had happened in that year that my finger should twitch without me moving it deliberately.
and it worked. well, i don't know about the trauma bit, but my finger twitched without me moving it deliberately.

I am a hypnotherapist.

Hypnosis is about acessing the unconcious mind which is basically the same thing as the right hand side of the brain. A lot could be written about the differences between the right and left sides of the brain but I don't really have time. The right hand side tends to use the language of symbols and images like in our dreams and this is what hypnotherapists try to use to solve problems, a bit like guided meditation. The idea is that traumas and so on are buried in the subconcious and can be acessed wen you are in a hypnotic state. We all experience light hypnosis throughout the day naturally especially just before and after sleep. So when you are hypnotised you may not realise it as it is just a natural state.

Hi Zoe.

Do modern hypnotic techniques bear much relationship to those used by Franz Anton Mesmer? or were his successes merely a by-product of his work with magnetism?

Hi,

I have been hypnotised, it was to give up the fags. It worked for about 4 months then I started again (I started a new job.....excuse). When I came out, I didnt really feel as if Id been hypnotised but Id best try and pack them in as Id spent 50 quid, I did find the cravings easier to deal with though.

Id like to do it again but want to find a hypnotherapist that can really whack me with some powerfull hypno! I dont feel it worked before but have got plenty of bad habits(!) so I am up for trying again. Id like them to do a test first this time though. Make me do something involountary.....just so I know!

A friend of mine is a hypnotist, if he makes 'yumm yumm' noises in front of his dogs face whilst at the same time making plucking motions with his hand the dog rolls over and plays dead. I dare say this is probably just a normal dog trick but it does make me wonder, is it possible to hypnotise dogs?

when i went to hypnotherapy it was for an eating disorder. it didn't work, i went a couple of times and then the therapist suggested to me that i try to gain 2lbs and i almost ran off screaming. haha, so it didn't work very well.

Back