• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I saw a ghost tonight

celticrose

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Urgh, I just had a weird, horrible experience at work. I had just finished cleaning the bar, and I saw a fleeting black figure come down the stairs and begin to hurry across the floor. I glanced up thinking it was my collegue, and there was no-one there. I got a bit scared but assumed it was a shadow or something, so I wheeled the mop bucket across the floor, and just as it got to the place where the shadow disappeared, all the wheels jammed. I said out loud "Leave my mop bucket alone, mate!", and to my horror, a voice replied "NO". It sounded like when someone burps and talks at the same time, really deep and growly, or even bubbly. It disturbed me enough to run upstairs and sit in my managers office with her for a bit.

I have nothing against ghosts manifesting themselves, as long as its not as something horrible, but the fact that this thing can not only speak, but hear what I say and understand it frightens me too much.

Okay, first, chill. No harm was offered to you and it may not have been guilty of jamming your wheels and resented being blamed for it. Remember, these things are scary primarily because they're unknown and outside our daily experience. The amount of actual harm ever done by ghosts is minimal, and most of it stems from a psychological hold gained over the victim. If you stand up to a ghost, as you would to a naughty kid or an obnoxious bar patron, the literature suggests that you will quickly reach a harmless rapport. Whatever you do, don't hand it any power. Your power is yours. Keep it.

I recommend the old Mexican folklore form of address: "In the name of God, tell me what you want." Stories in which people use this stock phrase often end with the revelation of buried treasure and the departure of the ghost. It's worth a try.

I'll gve it a try, my nxt night shift is Friday, and although I probably won't be alone, I will bear that phrase in mind.

My manager was telling me how she never stays in the building alone after her experience. She was working late in he office, and felt uneasy enough to lock the door from the inside. The office door has a clear glass panel in the middle, and whenever she looked out, she could see people walking past, up and down the corridor. She thought someone had broken in, but whenever she went out to investigate, there was no-one there.

Our building used to be the offices for the old Brains brewery in Cardiff, Wales, so has got quite a rich history.....

Well, if they used to brew brains there, I'm not surprised there area few spooks hanging around! :eek:

Have a camera ready next time!

Why carry a camera, so she can take orb pictures? Photos never prove anything. If I posted a picture of me with the grandmother who died before my mother got married, recognizable but not matching any existing pictures of her, I'd be told three or four different ways I must have faked it, by people who would scorn to look at the family photo albums or investigate my capacity to use photo software.

You should ask yourself, Ms. Rose, whether you are willing to investigate the haunting of your workplace and, if so, what methods you are willing to pursue. If you decide you'd rather report spontaneous phenomena if they occur than run around collecting EVP, no one here has the right to criticize you - and you would arguably be wise, as ghost hunting, if it is not an amusement in itself, is apt to be a lot of effort for little reward. Even collecting the stories of others (which is what I'd do) might draw the attention of the phenomenon and put you in an uncomfortable situation, if only by prompting you to interpret mundane sounds as ghostly manifestations. Push it as far as you want to, but no farther.

And in a brain-brewing operation, I'd watch out for zombies. Those can be nasty. Especially the running kind!

PeniG said:
If I posted a picture of me with the grandmother who died before my mother got married, recognizable but not matching any existing pictures of her, I'd be told three or four different ways I must have faked it, by people who would scorn to look at the family photo albums or investigate my capacity to use photo software.

That's too much of a teaser: please do post the pic sometime. I'm interested, and won't make fun of you!

Alas, I have no such picture. That was me in story creation mode, coming up with photographic evidence I'd believe in and be willing to go to bat for.

But if I had one, I know what would happen if I displayed it!

Peni is right, I have personal experience of peoples attitudes towards photographic evidence of ghosts.

Five years ago my husband and youngest son went off to visit Lilleshall Abbey while I stayed with my eldest son at a nearby sporting event. When they arrived the site was closed and the gate locked. They climbed over the gate (I know, very naughty) and walked up the lane to the ruins.

They were sure that they were completly alone. My son began to photograph the ruins with a digital camera not noticing anything unusual.

When we returned home my son downloaded the pictures he had taken onto my computor. He ran upstairs in a state of shock and asked me to come down and confirm what he had caught on camera. He seemed upset so I went downstairs to see what was the matter.

I looked through the pictures until a few frames in I saw, very clearly, that the picture contained a woman in it. My son was always very particular when photographing ruins that there were no people present.

The image was that of my mother who had died six years previously. She was wearing clothes that I had never seen her in when alive but they were the sort of clothes she would wear (a bright red and blue top, not a similar colour to the surrounding stone of the buildings) Her hair, face, stature, everything about her made me believe that I was looking at a picture of my mother. It was in no way a simulacra or trick of the lighting.

Now the camera had been bought after her death, we had never owned a digital camera before then and as far as I know my mother had never been to Lilleshall.

I called my husband to look at the photo. He confirmed that they were alone at the site and that he was sure that no woman was present in the ruins all the time they were there. When he looked at the photo he was taken aback. He too recognised the woman to be my mother.

The figure looked to be solid and was not in any way spooky in appearance. She was in one frame only, with no other image of her in the preceeding or following frames, which made her appearance in the single one all the more strange.

A few days later I showed the picture to a close friend who had known my mother. She recognised her straight away but refused to believe that the photo had been taken when it was. It upset her when we insisted that we were telling the truth about the date (which could be seen with the time on the picture). She insisted that it was a rather cruel trick of my sons and things got a little heated.

The picture upset my son and he chose to delete it. He believed that nobody would believe him and that he would suffer ridicule from it. I was happy for him to do this as I too felt disturbed looking at it.

I do not know how the picture happened, maybe there was an elderly woman walking around the ruins that day. Maybe it was the spirit of my mother. I do not know, but I know that nothing was to be gained by keeping it

I don't think anyone on this site would have ridiculed you about your photo - everyone would have found it fascinating to see and discuss.

You should have kept it and sent it on to one of the online sites such as ghoststudy.com, who verify ghost photos and confirm them as either a real ghost caught on camera or give a rational explanation ie. trick of the light etc. They can also detect false photos and confirm if it's been altered in anyway. Many photos such as the one you have discussed appear on there and many of them are verified as real.

Thanks oneeyeddog, but this all happened before I had much idea about this site or others.

As I said there was absolutely nothing about the picture that would point to it being of a spirit/ghost. The woman was just so ordinary looking.

I hope that you will be able to have some more contact with your entity Rose, but be careful don't go further than you feel comfortable with. A search in local archives might just give you some background.

I think what I will do is set up my video camera on the corner of the bar facing the stairs I saw it on. Then, if it does show up, even if I don't see it, I will have captured some images. I don't care if its a black blob, as long as I get something!

To be honest, I don't really care if people believe me or not, I know what I saw and what I heard, I don't have to prove myself to anyone. :)

Well said Rose!

Keep us all posted and good luck.

You'll be the first to know on Saturday mrning if I do catch anything!

Ghost update!

Still no convincing footage, but last night was weird. My colleagues and I were working REALLY late, we were still on the premises at 4am, and were just picking up our personal belongings to leave. My colleague turned the lights off in the corridor behind us, but flicked the switch for the kitchen as well, turning them on. I laughed and said something like "you muppet, I said turn them OFF not ON" and turned them off again, to which there was an enormous crash from the far end of the kitchen as if we had disturbed someone with the light. This whole thing happened in the space of seconds, with us talking over one another, but the the crash happened milliseconds after the light swtiched on. The crash sounded like someone thrashing a load of equipment from a work surface, not something small like a loose plate. No-one had been in that kitchen for hours, and we were a good 15-20ft from the source of the sound......

Did you have a look to see if anything had fallen over?

To be the sceptic, could it have been a cat, mouse or rat?

I was so freaked out, I ran down the stairs four at a time! Sorry, I'm not a very good ghost hunter, am I?

It probably was just some pots and pans slipping or something, stacked washing up in my kitchen will sometimes slip and make a clutter, startling me. But still, I wouldn't have gone back either! :shock:

I got a clearer view ofthe ghost yesterday, as did my colleague, on two seperate occasions. At about 11.30, he was emptying the mop bucket and as he came back to the bar casually remarked "I just saw the ghost". I said "really, what did it do?" and replied "dunno, he was just standing there". About an hour later I was alone, wiping the bar top, which is pretty big, and saw someone sanding at the bar. My automatic reaction was to look up and say "Are y'all right there? Can I help?" until I realised I was aone. He looked like a plump older guy, maybe late fifties early sixties, wearing a cream scruffy shirt and dark trousers with braces. He looked like he was looking at something in his hands or his actual hands themselves.

And then what happened?

Did he vanish? Did you run away screaming?

I glanced up, putting down my cloth and spray and when I looked up he was gone. Again, it all happened over the space of a few seconds. Here is a diagram of where I saw him this time. I spent all of five minutes in MSPaint making this, lol.

bar.jpg

Awesome. Don't we have any experienced ghosthunting board members in the area, who could drop in for a quiet pint? ;)

Oh my goodness.

I think I would be too frightened to go back to work!

Yup, I reckon our 'rose is a bit of a hero. 8)

You are all very sweet! The theory that its the old quartermaster isn't holding water with me anymore, simply because he wouldn't stand at the bar like that. I reckon its the ghost of a regular.......

Ask him if he want some beer! Perhaps he will come closer.

Maybe. I always act negatively when I see him, saying things like "go away", and "oh not again", but maybe he is trying to tell us something.....

SameOldVardoger said:
Ask him if he want some beer! Perhaps he will come closer.

He might prefer spirits....

Back