• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Saw And Photographed The Loch Ness Monster In 2006

That's the one I was criticised for being somewhat lukewarm towards.

I'm now re-opening that thread and transplanting the posts concerning the picture there (including this one); if the thread goes south, however, it will be locked again. Now that the image is out in the wild, I'd be interested in a second opinion on my own judgment here:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index...ess-monster-in-2006.62179/page-7#post-1653793

Long dark lines with waves where the feet break water. Final position: neck extended, flings down.

Last edited:
Noice! That is an even better fit than I first thought.

Long dark lines with waves where the feet break water. Final position: neck extended, flings down
Looking at the juxtaposition photo Tribble made I think that it could be what is taken for the "neck" is actually the wing with the head sticking out a little below it. Though this is just a minor quibble, I agree with your assessment. I think it is just perspective that makes it look bigger than it really is. We are looking at it from a very shallow angle which makes it look as if it is in the middle of the loch when really it is close to the shore.

Zooming in on the 'monster' shows a strange rectangular area surrounding it where the water doesn't seem to match. Photoshopped?
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 17.12.35.png

I think it is just perspective that makes it look bigger than it really is. We are looking at it from a very shallow angle which makes it look as if it is in the middle of the loch when really it is close to the shore.

A shot from the approximate location courtesy of google earth. If it is real I think it looks enormous but it's those pesky pixels which make me doubt it.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 19.56.24jpeg.jpg LMN.jpg

Zooming in on the 'monster' shows a strange rectangular area surrounding it where the water doesn't seem to match. Photoshopped?...

That, and the images in your next post, reinforce my initial thought - which was that it could be a boat that has been partially excised from the original image.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it is. But if it is an actual object in an un-doctered photo, I don't think it can be a bird, it looks too big.

Zooming in on the 'monster' shows a strange rectangular area surrounding it where the water doesn't seem to match. Photoshopped?
View attachment 9550

The photo was taken on ye olde digicam, through a window (there's a clear reflection), and has likely been copied, resized, resaved with compression... the end result is a low-res, blurry, noisy, artifact-y pic that could just as easily show the Queen chasing Doc Shiels on a jet ski as a cryptid. (It's also a good way to conceal editing)

IF that is the case (and I'm not convinced it is) - then that pic is completely worthless.
The original pic is here

https://lochnessmystery.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/a-photograph-from-2006.html?spref=fb

and the boat pics are added below it.
The object is hundreds of yards away so details are confined to gross morphology. Comparison shots which included a Jacobite cruiser and a cruise boat were taken by myself days ago and is shown below. The previous article used an older comparison shot, but the recent ones are better. The witness photograph was then overlaid onto this picture, aligning the background hill contours as carefully as possible.

"I am writing this under a pseudonym...My girlfriend was fumbling to get her camera out of luggage in the back seat before the monster was gone. She was tipsy and we were both shaking. She finally got it out of her bag and took a picture...My girlfriend and I long ago broke up..."

As soon as I discover that there is a cutout involved I lose interest:

"I bought this treasure map from an old prospector who vanished years ago"

"This film of an alien autopsy was purchased from the estate of an ex-USAF cameraman who died in 1995..."

It's an easy way for the scammer to:

a) Enjoy any kudos and/or profits, while;

b) Simultaneously ensuring plausible deniability if things go south.

maximus otter

The following point was discussed earlier on this thread but it gets repeated in the blog -

Based on this, I am pretty sure that is not a bird like a swan or cormorant taking off as it disturbs the water with its feet. The object in the picture is uniformly dark and swans are white.

Except the BLACK ones.

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...guides/ask-an-expert/previous/blackswans.aspx

5600199.jpg

(I don't actually believe that the (Justin Case) image shows a black swan but I do think it should be at least considered and not disregarded along with all of the white swans.)

Well this was an epic read, quite the rollercoaster :)

I'm now re-opening that thread and transplanting the posts concerning the picture there (including this one); if the thread goes south, however, it will be locked again. Now that the image is out in the wild, I'd be interested in a second opinion on my own judgment here:

Having now seen the 'infamous' photograph and compared to your swan video Yithian I would say there are remarkable similarities. Especially the bumpy, repeated sort of pattern in the 'wake' or whatever it's called, behind the purported creature. It resembles the pattern in the video, left behind by the swan's feet.

Justin I think your photograph is interesting, but I'm somewhat perplexed (as I'm sure most of us here are) as to why you were so defensive of the photograph and unwilling at first to let it be viewed. Regardless of whether it is a photo of 'Nessie' or not, it is still a good photograph and worthy of investigation/discussion regardless of what it turns out to be (if, of course, a definitive answer can ever be decided upon).

What i would say, (and this is speaking as someone who is quite sceptical of the existence of Nessie), is that I can't immediately rule it out as a creature. It looks a lot like a bird, but that doesn't mean it definitely is.

And that's better than many photos I've seen over the years :)

i had an experience at Loch Ness in 2006. I chose not to go public with it for fear of ridicule.

This account is a pseudonym.

There was one other witness and she took a photo. The experience was unpleasant (not bad, but definitely strange and we knew no one would believe it) so we put the photo on her computer and never discussed it again. We broke up years ago. Just last week, I found the picture on a CD ROM from when I cleared off all my files from her computer. It was somehow misplaced in a sub folder. Seeing it again has unnerved me.

I am not sure what to do. I think I want to talk about it but I don't want my real name attached. Also, I don't know if I am allowed to show the picture since I wasn't the photographer.

I would appreciate any advice.
I was swimming in the shallow end of said Loch and i felt something brush against my foot. It wasn't my father as i havent seen him since i was 6 years old. I never looked down as i was too scared but i'm pretty sure it was Nessy because my foot felt kind of slimy. I swallowed a bit of the water because i was so shocked and now i have cholera :( but i'm happy to know i shared a drink with Nessy XD

I have been called over sensitive and my motives have been brought into question. Also my basic ability to tell the difference between a large animal and a bird even though anyone looking at the picture can see it's too big and too far away to be a swan. I have been accused directly and indirectly of fraud.

It's very easy to sit there in your armchair and act smug because you have nothing to lose. To you it's just a photo. To me it's a life changing moment. To you it's a message board conversation. To me it's something I want to share but I'm afraid to for the very reasons demonstrated here by many of you.

So yes I am done here. This was a test drive to see what I would be in for if I tried to present the picture to a wider audience, and even the people who should be open minded were hostile.

So go ahead and roll your eyes and say I told you so to one another. This experience shows why nobody takes these topics seriously, because even the believers act like vultures.

I just want to highlight this for a second. In light of seeing the photo now presented elsewhere online, and reading this thread front to back (I dropped out after the first couple of pages last year) I'm actually kinda disgusted with the way this thread deteriorated.

That's the response of somebody who came to post a personal experience. It may not have felt that way to the posters who joined in with it, but to be brutally honest reading this front to back all I see is page after page of condescending posts of bullying.

Yes, this guy withheld the image. Yes he had a silly pseudonym. But to some degree a vague reflection of his ex-girlfriend is in that photo, and he made it very clear that this was a very personal experience which had disturbed him. It also involved an ex-partner he seemingly split from on bad terms.

Nothing he said in the start was disingenuous, and yet very quickly people piled in on him, badgered him, took the piss out of him. This is not a positive thread. It paints a number of posters here in a pretty bad light, ranging from being rudely condescending jerks to actively ridiculing the guy through other threads.

That's not cool, guys.

I know he too got quite irate. And slanging back is just as bad. But honestly, I don't feel that was without having been baited for it first.

There's some really antisocial behavior on here. I'm genuinely surprised by some of it.

I just want to highlight this for a second. In light of seeing the photo now presented elsewhere online, and reading this thread front to back (I dropped out after the first couple of pages last year) I'm actually kinda disgusted with the way this thread deteriorated.

That's the response of somebody who came to post a personal experience. It may not have felt that way to the posters who joined in with it, but to be brutally honest reading this front to back all I see is page after page of condescending posts of bullying.

Yes, this guy withheld the image. Yes he had a silly pseudonym. But to some degree a vague reflection of his ex-girlfriend is in that photo, and he made it very clear that this was a very personal experience which had disturbed him. It also involved an ex-partner he seemingly split from on bad terms.

Nothing he said in the start was disingenuous, and yet very quickly people piled in on him, badgered him, took the piss out of him. This is not a positive thread. It paints a number of posters here in a pretty bad light, ranging from being rudely condescending jerks to actively ridiculing the guy through other threads.

That's not cool, guys.

I know he too got quite irate. And slanging back is just as bad. But honestly, I don't feel that was without having been baited for it first.

There's some really antisocial behavior on here. I'm genuinely surprised by some of it.

I've reread the thread twice and apart from one or two posts I don't see anything antisocial. I'd be interested to know which posts you are referring to.

Also it's easy to be outraged down the line. This thread followed a fair few threads from people who claimed to have alien artifacts or used to hang out at 284 Green street. These guys got very snotty with us when we asked for more information.

I said it before and I'll say it again. This is still the best moderated online forum on the internet. I really don't think we crossed the line on this thread.

I've reread the thread twice and apart from one or two posts I don't see anything antisocial. I'd be interested to know which posts you are referring to.

Also it's easy to be outraged down the line. This thread followed a fair few threads from people who claimed to have alien artifacts or used to hang out at 284 Green street. These guys got very snotty with us when we asked for more information.

I said it before and I'll say it again. This is still the best moderated online forum on the internet. I really don't think we crossed the line on this thread.

And I'm not disagreeing with you there. The Enfield Poltergeist thread also had some very clear shenanigans around this time.

There is nothing wrong with being skeptical. There is nothing wrong with asking valid questions. But if every person who comes forward with a personal account is treated with condescension, hostility and ridicule it reflects badly on all of us.

Now I think that broadly most of us do not believe that photo to be evidence of Nessie. :) But there genuinely *was* a photo, and a poster who from the very beginning gave his reasons for why he was reluctant to show it. It was clearly a sore subject for him. And regardless of how we might have thought that reluctance to have been somewhat oversensitive we should at least try to respect that.

There are respectful ways to deal with that. And there's starting parody threads and deliberately baiting or belittling people.

It's okay to not believe somebody. It's okay to be skeptical. But when people decide to be a bit of dick about it that's different. At the end of the day (regardless of the quality of the image) this guy chose to share it elsewhere after being laughed out of town here. That's what he'll remember. That's what he'll tell anybody else who asks about it.

How is that anything other than a negative thing?

Back