• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Imaginary Childhood Friends

My cousin had an imaginary friend. I was super jealous and started trying to create/pretend I had one - would've been around four I guess - insisting that a plate be set etc. but was never able to believe with any conviction and therefore got bored of it very quickly :cry: I think most of these children must believe these beings are real - otherwise surely they'd lose steam in sustaining the pretense.

Also, I love the names that kids give these friends. Always totally bizarre. Another friend had an IF called Sakker; I was slightly discomfited to subsequently find there was a demon known as Sheqer who was known to be one of the great fibbers :D

GNC said:
I wonder if really vivid imaginary friends in early childhood have any connection to poltergeists in adolescence?
I've been around polt activity, but I don't think it centered around me. The experiences I had were with a family who'd been dealing with minor polt pranks for some time and wrote them off as quite ordinary. I never had any poltergeist activity in my own house, though.

There was a family of bears living in my mum's Volkswagen Polo. My parents put a stop to it all and told me that the bears had moved back to Canada, when they discovered that I had been leaving food out for them. A chicken leg left in the glove compartment for a few days in the middle of summer leaves a rather unique smell :oops:

Also, this thread in IHTM has a rather interesting IF story.
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16629

Interestingly I never had any invisible friends, although I tried to make some up a few times and failed because I was simply pretending and didn't believe in it. I think that the children that persist in believing are witnessing a real phenomena, which is why TRYING to make one up frequently doesn't work.

rynner said:
sunsplash said:
Damn, I always wanted this to be MY Phd topic!
:shock:

Great Science!!!
:D
Maybe...

But there's the implicit assumption that these friends are imaginary - but perhaps they are real, like guardian angels or other alleged spirits. Science only asks questions, and accepts answers, within its own restricted areas, because this is how science works.

So the results of this study will be either that 'imaginary' friends do or don't help a child's development, but will cast no light on whether these 'friends' are real, because this question has already been dismissed in the researcher's assumptions.

I hope I'm wrong, and that she turns up something really freaky! :shock:

From a straight developmental perspective having an IF will either hinder or advance development (I assume). Why this should be so, is a more interesting question, there are bound to be a mulitude of reasons, Which is interesting amd great science. Unfortunately all research has boundaries, real and implied.

The reality of an individuals's IF raise great speculative questions. But way beyond the scope of the research outlined. how can anyone prove or disprove the reality of an individual's perception? Especially when the IF exists only for the infividual?

Still It would be absolutely wonderful if IF's exist as real and tangible beings. From my perspective, my IF did.

Maybe even still does. It'd be nice to blame something else for the latest mistake, accident of misunderstanding. (Maybe I should try it!)

:D

When I was a kid our back garden ended with a stream and a forested embankment which rose on a gentle gradient to meet the train tracks a few hundred yards behind.

I never really had an imaginary friend, but I firmly believed that Heidi (of Alpine kids' tv fame) lived in the forested embankment behind our garden, and every evening I used to call her to dinner. I seem to remember being encouraged to do this by my father, who found it all very amusing. I must have been about 3. I also, for some reason (probably my father again...) seemed to think that the embankment was overrun with wolves (not many of those in rural Sussex...) and I was always terribly concerned for Heidi's wellbeing. Only ever seemed to remember her in the evening.

I used to spend a lot of time with the family dog - a Russian Wolfhound - and apparently thought I was a puppy named Pumpi when I was very small...

Oh dear.

GreenJeanz said:
Interestingly I never had any invisible friends, although I tried to make some up a few times and failed because I was simply pretending and didn't believe in it. I think that the children that persist in believing are witnessing a real phenomena, which is why TRYING to make one up frequently doesn't work.

As an only child who spent a lot of time trying to create imaginary siblings and failing, I'm inclined to agree with you.

My son had several imaginary friends when he was young. The main IF was a mouse named Tonton. Tonton was quite the mouse-about-town (jobs, cars, motorcycles), and had a very number of family, friends and pets. We all sort of missed Tonton et.al. when they finally went away. My brother always thought we should collect Tonton stories and write a book.

My youngest daughter had an imaginary friend called Chennel the wasp queen who lived in the camelia. She would even try to point her out but alas I could never see her. Of course there were the aboriginal ghosts and the little flying hats too, at night , so we just thought she was very imaginitive, made room in the bed and went back to sleep.

Little My said:
I used to spend a lot of time with the family dog - a Russian Wolfhound - and apparently thought I was a puppy named Pumpi when I was very small...

Past life recall, perhaps?

I only had an imaginary friend once: a fawn who went to school with me on the school bus. My family was living in military housing at the time, I attended an off-base school, the classroom teacher was insane (really -- she kept the military kids late one afternoon on purpose so we'd miss our bus), and I had no friends. Enough to put one a bit over the edge, I think.

:(

I think someone's imaginary friend decided that I should no longer get topic reply notifications for this topic.

Another article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-12-19-real-play-usat_x.htm

'Pretend' friends, real benefits
By Marilyn Elias, USA TODAY

Children get by with the help of their friends, and imaginary friends might be some of the most helpful, suggests a study that challenges the traditional view that well-adjusted kids give up pretend pals after preschool.

About two-thirds of children have played with imaginary companions by age 7, and one-third still have them at 7, according to the first study that follows children's pretend play partners from age 3 through early elementary school. Kids who have imaginary friends feel just as competent and popular as those who don't, and their personalities are no different, says Marjorie Taylor of the University of Oregon. She reported the study along with Stephanie Carlson in the latest issue of Developmental Psychology.

"Imaginary companions have had a bad rap from psychologists for a long time," Carlson says. Jean Piaget, an influential Swiss psychologist whose theories on early childhood development took hold in the 1960s, believed that these friends reflect immature thinking and should vanish by the time a child starts school. But there has been little research on the purpose of pretend pals and whether school-age kids do shed them, Taylor says. Her study of 100 children finds that imaginary friends come and go. Some are invisible humans, the children say. The talking buddy also can be an animal, a doll or a GI Joe.

Just like any good friend, the imaginary friend offers companionship and entertainment and can help buck children up for tough times, researchers say. "It makes you feel brave to walk by that scary dog next door if you have an invisible tiger by your side," Taylor says.

Kids also use invented friends to practice conflict resolution, Carlson says. Parents who eavesdrop on pretend play can open a window into their child's world, says Barbara Willer of the National Association for the Education of Young Children. "It gives you insight into their fears and challenges." One little girl told the researchers she has two imaginary friends: One helps her wait patiently until the busy one shows up. "You have to wonder if she might be talking about her parents," Taylor says.

In her study, 27% of children described pretend pals their parents didn't know about, she says. If they know, reactions vary widely. "We've seen everything from parents who are excited and proud, even kind of implying, 'My child has a better friend than your child,' to a fundamentalist Christian who brought a Bible to the lab and said she was praying every day for the devil to leave her child," Taylor says.

Pretend friends rarely are a sign of emotional problems, she says. If a child claims a friend is controlling her and making her do things she doesn't want to do, parents should seek psychological help, Taylor says. But if a child isn't depressed and has real-life friends too, pretend pals shouldn't cause concern.

In fact, parents should look for day care and preschool programs that allow time for imaginative play so children can interact with pretend figures, Willer says. "Even if parents discourage it, it's going to happen."

My Childhood Imaginary Friends

My father, USAAF Staff Sergeant George H. Wagner, was in the service from June, 1944, until December, 1946, when I was two to five years old. Not wishing to lose contact with me during that time Dad "wrote" to me every single day that he was away. A commercial artist in civilian life, his "letters" were panel cartoons featuring me (I looked remarkably like Calvin in CALVIN AND HOBBES!!) playing with my imaginary friends.

How Dad KNEW what my imaginary friends and I were doing was quite beyond me at that time. (Mother of course wrote Dad every day detailing my little fantasies.)

What a lovely story OldTimeRadio :) Do you still have the letters?

My friend's eldest daughter went through a phase where she believed that she was a cat and would eat her meals off the floor and drink from a saucer. My friend indulged her so when I would visit, while we were sat at the table for dinner, the kid would be on the floor at our feet. I'm sure if any passing health visitor or social worker had seen her eating her dinner from the floor, they would have assumed child cruelty but that's what the girl wanted, so that's what she got.

We also had to refer to her as 'Kitty Meow-wow' and this persona was the household cat. The only really worrying thing about it was that she would wrap herself around your legs if you happened to be standing and then there was her tendency to lick you as well (copying how cats groom). I did not indulge that. It lasted a couple of years and I've recently noticed that my baby neice (just turned two) has now started to display similar behaviour but in her case, she's copying my brother's dog. Kids are another country altogether...

TheQuixote said:
"What a lovely story OldTimeRadio :) Do you still have the letters?"

I believe they're buried in my younger brother's attic. I do have a typed letter he posted to me on the first Father's Day he was away and which Mom read aloud to me.

And just recently I discovered that a military comic strip he produced during those same years is now available in its entirely on line.

When I was little (7 or 8 I think) my Mum told me to tidy my room and put my toys away in the cupboard as one of her new friends (from church!) was going to be visiting (with her young son) I remember slowly putting my toys away (tutting quietly also) when I noticed a boy sat on my bed , he said he would help me put my toys away as he didn't want my mum to be cross with me, he and I made quick work of the toys and then he said his name was Derek, I told him that this was my middle name also) I heard a car pull up outside and went into my parents bedroom to look out the window to see who it was, nobody I knew so I went back to my room, Derek had gone (not before making my bed too!) I went downstairs to ask where Derek had gone and my mum looked puzzled, I told her what had happened and she started crying, then she got angry with me for lying, I told her I was telling the truth but she kept on crying, I got sent to my room and told to stay there until I confessed that I was lying. My dad came in when he got in from work and I told him the same story, he said Mum was upset as she had a brother called Derek who died when he was little, he had pulled a large pan of boiling water onto himself climbing onto the gas cooker and had been scalded to death, and this was why my middle name was Derek.
The boy who came into my room was the same age as me at the time, and had no disfigurements to name of. I asked my mum a few years ago about the incident but all she said was I always had a vivid imagination!

That's lovely Gravenwee -"Derek" doesn't sound imaginary to me - he sounds very real!

This is a subject I love!! :D

I remember being about 3-ish, and having a IF called "Black eyes", she was very pale, only wore black clothes and had very light blonde hair in a pony tail, and she had black coloured iris. I remember she "worked" in an old fashioned stable block, mucking out the horses, with, of course a black pitchfork! Also, I think she was a bit older than me...

My mum remembers me talking/playing with her and at about 5 years old she went away. I don't recall when she came to me or when she left, and I can't seem to remember her being around me much, however, I remember how she looked & where she worked vividly! And my mum say's that when ever asked "what are you doing?" I would always reply "playing with black eyes!"

I have 3 much older siblings, who had all moved out of home by the time I came along, however, my mum had a still born baby girl in between my older siblings and me, and I always wonder if it was her looking after me?! :?

Adults sometimes have imaginary friends, too, and it not necessarily healthy.

Remember, the mass murderer who attacked students at Virginia Tech several years back had an imaginary girlfriend.

And the British Christian novelist Charles Williams addresed this same issue in his Descent into Hell.

Well, but there's all the difference in the world between a child at a certain level of development having an imaginary friend and an adult doing the same. When a child creates an imaginary friend he's exercising control over his environment, developing independence, and testing the boundaries of his inner and outer lives, or objective and subjective reality and fantasy if you like. When an adult creates an imaginary friend it constitutes a rejection of objective reality.

I knew a guy in his 30s who had an imaginary friend that was a female werewolf from Welwyn Garden City, or maybe it was Milton Keynes, or some where like that.

My first reaction when he told me was to ask him if he masturbated about her, to which he replied "Wouldn;t any guy?" :wow:

He also introduced himself as a CEO, which was surprising until I found out it was his own business which had no employees, contracts or trading activity of any kind. And he lived with his mum.

BlackRiverFalls said:
My first reaction when he told me was to ask him if he masturbated about her

As you do. :lol:

It made more sense if you'd actually met him. He looked like the kind of guy that could hold his own.

Yes, I believe he could handle himself.

He was also a 'performance poet' who wrote these awful poems about reducing women to a quivering heap at his feet with the sheer force of his masculinity, and one day, while reading one in his usual whiney voice, a lady in the audience shouted out 'Rohypnol!', and thereafter he was known as Mr Rohypnol. :lol:

Just thought that might amuse you.

Over the last year and a half or so, my four year-old occasionally talks to imaginary people he calls "invisibles". He'll be chattering away, I'll ask who he's talking to and he says "oh, just the invisibles".

One time this was a bit creepy was a day when his father was out. Son looked through the window and said, "Daddy will be home in a minute". I replied that he might be gone for a while longer, but son insisted that daddy would be back very soon. Sure enough, his father's car pulled up in the drive just after that. I asked son how he'd known. He replied "invisible told me so". :eek:

Over the last year and a half or so, my four year-old occasionally talks to imaginary people he calls "invisibles". He'll be chattering away, I'll ask who he's talking to and he says "oh, just the invisibles".

One time this was a bit creepy was a day when his father was out. Son looked through the window and said, "Daddy will be home in a minute". I replied that he might be gone for a while longer, but son insisted that daddy would be back very soon. Sure enough, his father's car pulled up in the drive just after that. I asked son how he'd known. He replied "invisible told me so". :eek:
:eek::eek::eek:!!!

Back