• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Impaled! (Foreign Objects Thrust Into Or Through The Body)

Roof painter 'lucky to be alive' after being impaled by 60cm-long rod through his head

He tried to stand up after hitting the ground but struggled to do so, and it turns out he had landed on a piece of steel bar that was sticking out from the ground.

The metal bar pierced through his neck and out the back of his skull, with co-workers acting quickly to use bolt cutters to free the rod from the ground.

This allowed Michael, from Texas, US, to stand up, with around 60cm of the metal rod sticking out from his head, Yahoo News reports.

Doctors told the experienced painter that the rod was “just millimetres” from hitting his voice box, his spinal cord and vital arteries, with paramedics saying they had never seen anything like it before.
1658830215552.png
1658830235713.png

It's also amazing to me that there is so little blood. I'm going to take a guess that the surgeons will have to partially dismantle his skull to remove the rod.
Already removed. According to the report:

The surgery was completed in an hour and he was put on a liquid diet for two days afterwards

They used a mallet to knock the short end in then pulled it through with mole grips.

OK I made that part up.

Holy tish! That looks painful.

Woman impaled by steel rod after plummeting 22 feet during monkey attack

The freak accident occurred as she stood on a roof area in her home town of Azamgarh, in Uttar Pradesh, India when she was reportedly accosted by a group of monkeys.
While attempting to fight the animals, she fell off the roof and plummeted 22 feet onto a bar-lined boundary wall, where one of the sharp rods pierced her stomach and back like a human kebab.

Khatija was left there for more than an hour before getting discovered by family members, who attempted to cut their impaled relative free.

They managed to separate her from the wall, and left the other half of the rod in her body, while she was rushed to hospital.
She was taken into emergency surgery and doctors were able to remove the bar.
1663879320708.png

Video at link.

The guy with the rod thro the head, eeeek, luckily the brain tends to shimmy out the way when something goes thro he got lucky that it must have done that. And him being kebabed thro the balls owch, that must hurt like hell

Man didn’t know he had chopsticks lodged in his brain for five months

Reminiscent of the episode Homer Simpson was found to have a crayon stuck in his brain.

After suffering with severe headaches, fluid discharge and even loss of vision, the unnamed man from Vietnam was rushed to the emergency room at hospital.

His family believe the chopsticks must have made their way up his nose when he was involved in a fight around five months ago.

Dr Nguyen Van Man, head of the department of neurosurgery, said it was a ‘very rare’ case.
1701176254265.png

Man impaled by metal rod puncturing entire torso after falling from scaffold

In Brazil.

The 57-year-old fell five metres, with his bottom landing on the sharp rod, which measured more than 60cm. Graphic images show how it punctured his perineum – the area between the anus and scrotum. The rod then went up through his torso and penetrated his liver and part of the diaphragm but narrowly missed his heart.

The man, believed to be from Brazil, was rushed to hospital for urgent treatment. As doctors performed a blood transfusion, a scan showed the full length of the rod in the body. After the patient underwent serious operations, the rod was finally able to be removed safely.

Incredibly, he recovered well and moved to a regular ward after three days. He was discharged from hospital 12 days after the horror incident which local officials described as “extremely uncommon”.
1721163778245.png

These cases are always dumbfounding, though the underlying physics requires organs to move, obligingly, out of the way, when the body is penetrated.

Vlad and I spend the long summer evenings, contemplating this, as we sup . . . :loveu:

Man impaled by metal rod puncturing entire torso after falling from scaffold

In Brazil.

The 57-year-old fell five metres, with his bottom landing on the sharp rod, which measured more than 60cm. Graphic images show how it punctured his perineum – the area between the anus and scrotum. The rod then went up through his torso and penetrated his liver and part of the diaphragm but narrowly missed his heart.

View attachment 79693
My entire body is now clenched and probably will remain so for days.

Youtube, I swear, eavesdrops on my postings here. Yesterday, I posted about impalings; today it gives me an impaling story. I had not done any searches on the subject. Even weirder is the fact that this child-murderer/impaler was born in my home town, though the ghastly events unfolded in Gloucester. I don't think I had ever heard of the case, which is ghastly, beyond belief . . .

The following story is not about accidents or deaths avoided by a whisker. It is an account of a brutal triple child-murder.

You may well wish to skip it.

Baby-sitter kills three children and impales them on a fence.

Inside, he has a fight with Ian Brady, over who is the worse killer. :(

Last edited:
Why oh why did I read through this thread? I could have stopped at any time, but no, never was any good at taking my own advice! Eeejit!!

Youtube, I swear, eavesdrops on my postings here. Yesterday, I posted about impalings; today it gives me an impaling story. I had not done any searches on the subject. Even weirder is the fact that this child-murderer/impaler was born in my home town, though the ghastly events unfolded in Gloucester. I don't think I had ever heard of the case, which is ghastly, beyond belief . . .

Baby-sitter kills three children and impales them on a fence.

Inside, he has a fight with Ian Brady, over who is the worst killer. :(
I read about this couple of years ago and looked up the house. Wanted to inspect it on Google Earth but found it sort of skipped over.
This also affects the site of a certain long-demolished house in Hattersley. Can't be a coincidence.

Here's a post of mine about impalements from another thread.

I've heard three true stories about people actually falling bumwards onto dangerous objects.

One was of a man who was leaning backwards onto a broom handle, still attached to the brush, possibly standing in the bath, enjoying the sensation, when he slipped and it went too far.

Another was from a work colleague. In her previous job, in a clothes shop, a shop window mannequin had been removed leaving the big spike that it stood on behind. Someone stepped backwards and fell onto it. She had serious injuries.

The third was from my former mother in law. Some work colleagues put a broken office chair back together so a woman would fall off it. Instead it slid from under her and she landed crotch-first onto the supporting post. I believe her injuries were gynaecological. :(
The first story, with the broom handle, came from a relation who's an NHS emergency worker.

Back