• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Interesting Thread On Digitalspy Forums: 'Creepiest Things'

Number 6

Devoted Cultist
The actual thread title over there is "What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you?"
I thought this was quite interesting. Not all of it is paranormal stuff (e.g. people being followed, and a "Single, White Female" type of situation). I also noticed that sleep paralysis seems to crop up a fair bit too.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376448

Actually this may be better in the General Forteana board - could one of the Mods move it there please if you agree?

Having read through all 1000+ pages of the thread I'd say, step wisely.

There's an awful lot of "I had a dream (insert relative died) and when I woke up I got a call to tell me (insert relative) had died" type stories. They became very boring very fast. In fact just having someone tell you about the dream they had last night is boring much less having to read one after another.

There's also a lot of near-misses with sexual predators and molester stories as well and an awful lot of "sleep paralysis" stories too. One sufferer from that ailment states she saw a "sniper, aiming at her, on top of the wardrobe".

You have to fish through them, There are a handful of genuinely strange tales that are worth reading....I should have booked marked them.... :roll:

I agree with Mooksta. Couldn't stop reading though!

I'm surprised how many people seem unaware of sleep paralysis and its symptoms, but maybe that's because I had it as a teenager. ( A long time ago now!) The conviction you were actually awake is very strong, I admit.

Moooksta said:
There's an awful lot of "I had a dream (insert relative died) and when I woke up I got a call to tell me (insert relative) had died" type stories. They became very boring very fast. In fact just having someone tell you about the dream they had last night is boring much less having to read one after another.

Interesting from an evidential point of view? ie. if there's a lot of this stuff, might it not point to the idea that it actually happens? Something that, if proven, would be huge.

James_H2 said:
Moooksta said:

Interesting from an evidential point of view? ie. if there's a lot of this stuff, might it not point to the idea that it actually happens? Something that, if proven, would be huge.

That was kind of my thinking - what I found interesting about the whole thread was that DigitalSpy isn't a board for those with Fortean/paranormal interests like FT is, and yet there are hundreds and hundreds of accounts (some will be FOAF, fabricated or otherwise useless, I agree) which wouldn't have been recorded otherwise.
You might notice there quite a few which start along the (paraphrased) lines "I wouldn't have mentioned this for fear of sounding mad, but seeing as others are joining in..." and "This never seemed worth mentioning, but..."

I just thought it was quite interesting and hoped that it might appeal to readers on here

Mooksta - I agree, you do have to sift through to see the interesting ones.

Cochise - Speaking for myself, the only reason I knew of sleep paralysis was via my interest in unusual phenomena. I'd never actually experienced it until a couple of years ago, but I was fortunate that because I knew what it was in advance it wasn't quite as terrifying as it would otherwise have been. You'd think that something that can affect people so much would be widely known about, but it seems not!

I've spent a morning browsing through the thread on that board, and the most outstanding thing about it is just how many totally gormless women there are about, with absolutely no common sense whatsoever.

"I jumped into a car because I assumed it was a taxi, even though it didn't have a taxi sign on it, nor a meter, but I just wanted to get home, so got in anyway" - (not actually a quote from the site, but it's close, and shows the level I'm talking about) It must gladden the heart of every potential sex attacker.

James_H2 said:
Moooksta said:

You know if they'd appear on this forum in IHTM section I would take them seriously. My gut feeling on the DS Forum is a few of them are "manufactured" which makes me agree with Number_6_uk's comment...

Number_6_uk said:
(some will be FOAF, fabricated or otherwise useless)

Dreams are such perosnal things. I personally find the recounting of dreams, Fortean or not, to be a very a boring subject. They can't be substantiated, they're very personal and prone to bizarre elaboration.

"Last night I had a dream, my father was alive and was wearing a blue shirt. Then it started to rain and a dragon appeared juggling clowns....". What do you think?

There is one story to look out for, one of the posters may be the victim of a pair of serial killers given their initial posts and sudden disappearance.

Moooksta said:
There is one story to look out for, one of the posters may be the victim of a pair of serial killers given their initial posts and sudden disappearance.

I noticed that. I sincerely hope that she made the whole thing up. Or maybe she just became embarassed and stopped posting because many posters were urging her to take action, which she seemed genuinely frightened to do. That would still have left her in what sounded a very dangerous situation, though.

I am seriously addicted to that thread.... hardly any work got done the other day as I sped through it.

Like the others lots of dream stuff to wade through but thought it was interesting the number of genuine incidents there seemed to be. A lot of people lived or stayed in houses where things happened - there was an interesting exchange between some people that had lived in a haunted house as a child and how at the time it didn't seem odd. Lots of creepy stories men in cars following young girls.

LordRsmacker - I agree completely about the gormless women, I was really shocked at the risks some people had taken and it seems a genuine miracle that they didn't suffer more than they did!

Overall I guess it shows that spooky/fortean events happen to a great deal of the population. It was quite heartwarming to see the number of FT mentions though :D

Thanks for posting that link Number 6; I'd read some of the earlier posts before but had lost the link (I couldn't even remember which forum it was on:(). I would particularly love to know if there's a possible background to posts on pages 100 (and (briefly) followed up on 102):

Posted by 'Outervision':

One time I was driving along the A422 at night after working at a bar so we're talking midnight, it's quiet at night, very few cars and zero people.

I was driving towards pillerton priors petrol station (this is exactly where i stopped, facing the petrol station direction http://goo.gl/maps/4RYJ) , it's not a 24 hours one so it was closed. I had my lights on full and as is often the case it looked like an animal was in the road, it's often deer so i started to slow down and I can barely write this-

As I got closer it "sort of" looked like a person crawling, I thought it must be an injured deer. As I got closer I saw it was a man, in a grey suit, his face covered in blood. I saw detail to the extent I had to stop so i didn't run him over and I realised that I'd have to phone for help and probably go out and help this guy. That was so frightening like I had no choice just sitting there staring at him but I went to grab my phone, bam- gone. nothing in the road completely clear, there's wall on one side and a field on the other so i sort of drove towards the field to see if he'd gone there. That was when I realised nothing was there and I've never been able to get my head around it because this guy looked right into my eyes, it's chilling even thinking about it because it's so vivid, blood over his face reaching out, insane and to this day my mind files it under unexplainable.

I don't suppose that our own Hermes might have heard more about this one?

This bought back a long forgotten memory.
About 30 years ago I was collecting my stepfather from the mess at Netheravon on Salisbury plain. It was very dark night and I saw someone lying in the road on the other side of the carriage way. I wanted to stop- I could see someone clearly in trouble, dark suited man crawling in the road.
My stepfather firmly grabbed the wheel and told me in no uncertain terms to keep going, he was adamant it was some sort of hoax or scam. If I was really worried he would make a call from home.

I have not thought about this since, I cannot even recall further discussion or even insisting on that phone call.

As this was a Mess Function, my mother would have been there. She was a trained nurse and it is unthinkable that she would not have had something to add this apart ignoring of someone in need.

I've spent a morning browsing through the thread on that board, and the most outstanding thing about it is just how many totally gormless women there are about, with absolutely no common sense whatsoever.

"I jumped into a car because I assumed it was a taxi, even though it didn't have a taxi sign on it, nor a meter, but I just wanted to get home, so got in anyway" - (not actually a quote from the site, but it's close, and shows the level I'm talking about) It must gladden the heart of every potential sex attacker.

As i've mentioned on'ere quite recently, I've had someone like that get init my car and order me to take them home. I actually did because it was two young women who were so totally drunk I was worried they wouldn't be safe otherwise.

As i've mentioned on'ere quite recently, I've had someone like that get init my car and order me to take them home. I actually did because it was two young women who were so totally drunk I was worried they wouldn't be safe otherwise.
You nice person :)

How kind, thank you!

I'd like to think someone'd do the same for me, or my daughters.

Good karma is always paid back in spades.
I have to say I'm kinda glad I have no daughters, I don't think my nerves could handle it.
It's great now that my friends' lasses are blossoming into young ladies and I get invited round with the odd other "uncle" (or perhaps "the other odd uncle") to sit down with prospective Romeos and put the fear of God into them! The conclusion seems to be that the feckless ones lose interest immediately and are no loss, whereas only the truly keen continue to pursue the ladies in question.

Back