• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Iron Sky

That big swastica shaped space station :lol:

It looks a bit cheesy. And i'm not sure about Liabach on the soundtrack either, i still haven't got over how 'hitler youth' they look in their videos :shock:

Nazi spaceship film sparks UFO debate
A new sci-fi film about Nazis has reignited a debate in Germany about Hitler's development of UFOs.
[ video ]
By Allan Hall in Berlin 1:05PM GMT 17 Nov 2010

The Finnish sci-fi comedy 'Iron Sky' centres on real-life SS officer Hans Kammler who was said to have made a significant breakthrough in antigravity experiments towards the end of WW2.

The film relates how, from a secret base built in the Antarctic, the first Nazi spaceships were launched in late 1945 to found the military base Schwarze Sonne – Black Sun – on the dark side of the Moon.

This base was to to be used to build a powerful invasion fleet and return to take over the Earth once the time was right, in this case 2018.

But a new report out this week in Germany in the magazine PM purports that there is "strong evidence" that a Nazi UFO programme was well advanced.

Hitler ordered Luftwaffe chief Hermann Goering to develop the super weapon that would change the war.

The PM report quotes eyewitnesses who believe they saw a flying saucer marked with the Iron Cross of the German military flying low over the Thames in 1944.

At the time the New York Times wrote about a "mysterious flying disc" with photos of the device seen travelling at extremely high speeds over the high-rise buildings.

The best known of the Nazi UFO projects was the Schriever-Habermohl scheme, named for Rudolf Schriever and Otto Habermohl.

Initially a Luftwaffe project, it fell under the auspices of armaments minister Albert Speer before being taken over once again in 1944 by Hans Kammler.

Eyewitnesses captured by the Allies after WW2 claimed to have seen the saucer produced in Prague fly on several occasions in early 1945.

Joseph Andreas Epp, an engineer who served as a consultant to the Schriever-Habermohl project, stated 15 prototypes were built in all.

He described how a central cockpit surrounded by rotating adjustable wing-vanes formed a circle.

The vanes were held together by a band at the outer edge of the wheel-like device. The pitch of the vanes could be adjusted so that during take off more lift was generated by increasing their angle from a more horizontal setting.

In level flight the angle would be adjusted to a smaller angle, similar to the way helicopter rotors operate. The wing-vanes were to be set in rotation by small rockets placed around the rim like a pinwheel.

Once rotational speed was sufficient, lift-off was achieved.

After the craft had risen to some height the horizontal jets or rockets were ignited. "After this the wing-blades would be allowed to rotate freely as the saucer moved forward as in an auto-gyrocopter. In all probability, the wing-blades speed, and so their lifting value, could also be increased by directing the adjustable horizontal jets slightly upwards to engage the blades, thus spinning them faster at the digression [sic!] of the pilot," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ebate.html

A sci-fi comedy with Nazis and UFOs! What's not to like! :D

Hans Kammler has been mentioned here once before:

Posted: Sun 12-08-2001, 17:18 Post subject: and there's more!

Sudi-get your hands on todays Mail on Sunday and have a look in the review section.There's an article by Nick Cook (aviation editor of Janes Defence Weekly) about Gen. Hans Kammler who disappeared from the SS after the war and was thought to have been "adopted" by the Americans.He was working on anti-gravity machines.The article also metions Aurora,flying saucers and Roswell.Very interesting reading!!

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... =1472#1472

This article doesn't even mention Iron Sky, but otherwise covers much the same ground (with pics):
The theory is further fuelled by the claims of Igor Witkowski, a Polish former journalist and historian of military and aerospace technology.

In his book, 'Prawda O Wunderwaffe' in 2000, he claims that a bell-shaped craft was being created by the Nazis and that Hitler wanted the best scientists and engineers at his disposal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z15d6xqNcJ

We have a thread on Igor:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23784 8)

I really can't wait for this! As films go it may turn out to be tosh, but I don't care :lol:

BlackRiverFalls said:
That big swastica shaped space station :lol:
You sure this isn't Mel Brooks finally rediscovering his mojo :D?

Somehow this had passed me by, but now I can't wait...

Looks awesome, but how the hell are the going to show it in Berlin - they have less than accepting laws about swastikas.

theyithian said:
Looks awesome, but how the hell are the going to show it in Berlin - they have less than accepting laws about swastikas.

Classify it as a Hindu symbol?

BlackRiverFalls said:
M*therf*cking Space Nazis! :lol:.

[Samuel Jackson] "There's m*therf*cking Nazi's on the moon!" [/Samuel Jackson]

Stumbled across this last week. Big spaceships, comedy Nazis and Sarah Palin is the president. It could be The Producers for 2012... or Spaceballs.

Looking forward to US conspiracy loons braying on radio shows that we're being prepared for the real thing.

This summer...

...the battle for planet Earth...

...is going...

...to get...

Nazi !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone ever come across an annual in the late 70's called "The Willy the Kid Annual" a comic strip in which he's walking down his street and in the windows were Daleks and the Third Reich.

I kid you not.

That might be why I find Nazi's funny.

EDIT: Found an online reference to Willy the Kid, illustrated by the IPC comics artist Leo Baxendale.

The Willy the Kid annuals - or 'books', as they were known - were unique, in as much as the character wasn't affiliated to any existing weekly publication. He just burst out of his box, once a year for three glorious years, rampaged through a world of unlikely pets (worms called Elvis, flies, goldfish, vultures labouring under the misapprehension that they were budgerigars, dogs called Kojak and cats called Satan were all part of Willy's collection), clockwork Daleks, sausage rolls, heavy-booted bullies, pongy socks, dozy pals with names like Stan, Ollie, Dumbo, Candy and Goggles, rude siblings, acne-ridden no-hopers, witches in Gestapo uniforms,,corpulent spoilt brats and hopping mad parents.

HERE

Back on thread

That's why I find Nazi's funny.

Now available on blu-rey and DVD.

if you can be bothered to care :?

Wm.

I've heard mixed reviews, but yeah, I'll give it a go. Udo's in it, after all.

bagins_X said:

Wm.

Seems to be the only way to watch it, as the distributor screwed up.

Mythopoeika said:
bagins_X said:

Wm.

Seems to be the only way to watch it, as the distributor screwed up.

Same here, just showing late night at weekends in one cinema in Dublin.

Saw this on Blu-Ray today.
I enjoyed it, although some of the acting was lacklustre and the CGI was on the level of early Babylon 5.

I saw this last night. I thought it was OK considering the confines of its premise. Maybe even Mel Brooks would struggle to make a 'full on' Nazi film genuinely funny as opposed to out of context characters &c. I'd have liked it to have a bit more 'bite' with the satire.

I thought the ending was weirdly sombre and downbeat - a bit like the slightly jarring endings of Gerry Anderson's* UFO series.

However, I thought a lot of the CGI was actually really good considering the budget (around euro 7.5 million). Better than something like Sky Captain and the Jude Law of Tomorrow which also relied on similar amounts of similar CGI.

Also, it introduced me to the visual charms of Julia Dietze - a definite plus.

*sad to hear the news about Gerry Anderson's dementia. A real hero of mine.

Back