• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Is Elvis Still Alive?

Spookyangel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Couldn't someone scan the pic so we could look at it?

Beakmoo

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Spooky angel said:
Couldn't someone scan the pic so we could look at it?
Buy the magazine ya cheapskate! ;)

A

Anonymous

oh please post a pic. pretty pretty please!
I haven't been able to find a fortean in South Africa for years now.

And before I get any chirps about subscribing - I can't afford too - the xchange rate still hurts. :(

ElishevaBarsabe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
chilli said:
oh please post a pic. pretty pretty please!
I haven't been able to find a fortean in South Africa for years now.

And before I get any chirps about subscribing - I can't afford too - the xchange rate still hurts. :(

Can't find Fortean Times in Santa Cruz, either!

And my husband was laid off in August so $56 for the subscription is a big bit of cash just now.

Pinklefish

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Hey maybe we could start up a "Sponsor a Fortean" programme where we buy subcriptions of FT for less affluent Forteans.

I would be willing to buy a sub for one Fortean, as long as they sent me pictures of them looking enlightened, and with a wealth of information to amaze their mates down the pub.

pinkle
Note: this offer is subject to me freaking out and deleting it when I straighten up.

A

Anonymous

There's almost a kind of reverse symmetry between Elvis and Paul McCartney: One is dead and supposed to be alive, one is alive and is supposed to be dead.

Hmmm....

ElishevaBarsabe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Pinklefish said:
I would be willing to buy a sub for one Fortean, as long as they sent me pictures of them looking enlightened, and with a wealth of information to amaze their mates down the pub.
That's a very sweet thought, Pinklefish! However, I'm going to go over to the public library and check whether they have a subscription (this is Santa Cruz, after all).

My husband is now studying to become an elementary-school teacher, so I image he'll be employed again at some point.

A

Anonymous

The exchange rate in New Zealand triples the sub fee so I have to get to the lib before the rest of the pop does

lopaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Elisheva said:
Can't find Fortean Times in Santa Cruz, either!

And my husband was laid off in August so for the subscription is a big bit of cash just now.
Having been to Santa Cruz a couple of times (bro went to school there) that truly amazes me. If they changed the name to The Fortean High Times I'm sure it'd be available in a dozen places.:D

I sincerely hope hubby finds work soon, though. Know what the cost of living is like there.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
Dark Detective said:
There's almost a kind of reverse symmetry between Elvis and Paul McCartney: One is dead and supposed to be alive, one is alive and is supposed to be dead.
Just remind me. which is which again?

I have in my possession documentary evidence amassed by John Safran that George Harrison may also be dead. To the best of my knowledge, neither of the surviving Beatles (John or Ringo) have commented on this theory.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
If it happens we’ll all be Crying in the Chapel, but Don’t Cry Daddy, Don't Leave Me Now. If he dies again it will be Double Trouble, but then I guess it would be Easy Come, Easy Go. The fact he’s kept himself hidden this long pushes at The Edge of Reality, but it will be The End of the Road. We’d better offer up An Evening Prayer. For ‘Ol Time Sakes and For the Millionth and the Last Time he will be one of the Ghost Riders in the Sky. Those with Hearts of Stone will Help Me Make It Through the Night. But hen as I never knew him How Can You Lose What You Never Had? How Do You Think I Feel? Hurt. And so on...

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Of course Elvis is still alive - what did I miss ?

Elvis.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I may be one of the few people here (maybe the only one) who has actually seen Elvis in person, alive & breathing. In January 1977, I was in Las Vegas for 3 nights with my father. I was 11 years old.
Our condominium overlooked the rear entrance to the original Las Vegas Hilton. In December '76 Elvis had played a couple of weeks there and was still in residence, although still touring around the country doing occasional dates.
We were told by our concierge that at each evening at 6 p.m, his entourage of limousines would pull up at the rear, he would exit with his group of hangers on and they would all head on up to his suite. And indeed they did.
That's my story, no more, no less. I saw him briefly from a balcony, across a car park a couple of hundred metres away. BUT I SAW HIM!!!

Last edited:

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Ok folks, be worried. According to the Facebook page Evidence Elvis Presley is alive he is currently ill. They’re asking for thoughts and prayers to see him through this.
Yes, he went to his doctor.
Elvis "Well bless my soul, what's wrong with me? I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree, my friends say I'm acting as wild as a bug..."
Doctor "Any other symptoms?"
Elvis "Well my hands are shaky and my knees are week, I can't seem to stand on my own two feet."
Doctor "Have you been under any particular stress, or having any anxiety problems recently?"
Elvis "Well, please don't ask me what's on my mind, I'm little mixed up, but I feel fine."
Doctor "Sounds to my like you're in love and you're all shook up."
Elvis "Thanks doc. But shouldn't it be 'shaken up'?"

As a life long rock and roll fan, I can honestly say I've never understood the Elvis thing. In the Sun years, he made a handful of rock and roll/rockabilly tracks that were as good as anything else that was out at the time. He was a charismatic performer with a great voice, but he was a "presenter" rather than a "producer": he never wrote a song.

Then Elvis became a superstar, not because he was substantially better than the many other greats of the time, but because he was exceedingly well marketed. The other members of the Million Dollar Quartet (Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis) were right up there with him in terms of talent, as were other less well remembered names such as Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Glen Glenn, Sonny Burgess... I could go on — and frequently do.

Then he spent his declining years in a "sparkly jumpsuit", a sad parody of himself, performing any old song they gave him, but still somehow retaining the "credibility" of his early rock and roll years.

There was a singer, Orion (died 1998) who had a voice that was almost indistinguishable from Elvis's. He modelled his appearance and performance on Elvis, except that he wore a sparkly Lone Ranger style mask. His promoters played on the "Orion is Elvis in disguise" rumours.

Tell you what: if it was a disguise, it was the boldest double bluff ever. "I know, I'll look, sound and behave exactly like myself, but I'll wear a sparkly mask around my eyes. No one will suspect."

Elvis is possibly the most impersonated person in history, and almost all impersonators mimic his "jumpsuit era" because it is instantly recognisable — like putting on a mackintosh and a beret instantly makes you Frank Spencer, or wearing a fez immediately signals that you are being Tommy Cooper. (More recent examples are available for our younger readers!)

I used to go to rock and roll clubs in Nottingham, England, in the late 1970s. Almost everyone there was in some variant of a Teddy Boy suit or "50s" garb. However, there was one old bloke who turned up every week in a white overall — the sort of thing a painter and decorator might wear — with aluminium milk bottle tops stitched onto it in lieu of sequins. He wore a quiff-and-sideburns wig and sat there glumly all evening until an Elvis track was played then he got up and wiggled about a bit with a brooding expression.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Weirdly I've sold a huge amount of Elvis records in the last couple of weeks, stock that has been sitting around for years with no hint of interest.

The bottom dropped-out of the Presley market a few years back as most of his big-time fans have... erm... followed Elvis.

But it's suddenly all shifting again. Maybe he is alive and is rekindling his old vinyl habits?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
There does seem to have been a resurgence in Elvis interest, documentaries, his films being reissued, he's being discussed. There was supposed to be a rerelease of one of his concert movies a couple of months ago, but the virus postponed it. Could be these things go in waves, ebb and flow, when you're famous enough.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a pic of the claimed Elvis as he is now
591CACA2-7BEC-4715-A768-997354F417D9.jpeg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The guy on the right looks a bit young, 60-ish, to be Elvis' age if he'd lived.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Weirdly I've sold a huge amount of Elvis records in the last couple of weeks, stock that has been sitting around for years with no hint of interest.

The bottom dropped-out of the Presley market a few years back as most of his big-time fans have... erm... followed Elvis.

But it's suddenly all shifting again. Maybe he is alive and is rekindling his old vinyl habits?
Might be bored youngsters discovering Elvis. Nothing else to do in the lockdown.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Might be bored youngsters discovering Elvis. Nothing else to do in the lockdown.
They won't be bored for long if they've discovered the King of Rock 'n' Roll! Thankyouverymuch. Or was that Andy Kaufman?