• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is The Weather Changing?

A

Anonymous

It seems to me that the weather where I live seems to be getting more severe.Just in the last few weeks we have had several storms in Sydney that have done a lot of damage to houses.Just yesterday two girls were killed when a huge tree fell onto the tent they were sheltering in and a whole heap of buildings were damaged.Throughout my life I can only remember storms like this happening every few years,but now they seem to come every few weeks.
I don't know if this is caused by a cycle the weather goes through every 50 years or so,or if this could be caused by changes us humans have made to the enviroment.Maybe I've just forgotten about past years and its like this all the time.
Has anyone else noticed anything in the areas they live?If so what do you think may be the cause?

Well, it could very well be cycles. Or it could be global warming, since we blame that for so many other things. Or have you perhaps removed some forests that gave shelter before?

I think this is so far the mildest winter we've ever had in Pennsylvania. It's yet to snow, and it's only frosted a handful of times so far. Dec 1 we saw low-mid 60's, a record high. I always remember it at least flurrying on Thanksgiving, but this year it was about 60 and sunny. The water level is way down, also.

some one moaned to me about the rain yesterday but i pointed out last year it started to rain on the 9th of september and rained for 100 days .......... not always all the time but it rained at lest once a day for that long... Oh this is Sunny Cornwall......

Like Mike, I just can't believe it hasn't snowed yet. It hasn't even been that cold here either, and we're very high up. I remember as a kid by my school, there was a huge old ash tree, and my grandpa always told me that ash trees were the last to grow their leaves and first to shed them.

He was generally correct until I noticed about 10 years ago; the leaves weren't falling so early, and this year most stayed on until about 3 weeks ago. I've also noticed a shift of wetter autumns and harsher springs, with winter being generally mild.

The last 12 months inparticular have been pretty bad - autumn floods, mild winter, and snow through Feb. and March. I spoke to my mum about this last week, and she agreed, but she said the 60's were like this too, perhaps even worse.

After studying GCC (not specifically but ¼ of my lectures were about it) over 4 yrs at Uni, I'm still not convinced that it's man made and nor were my lecturers, and these guys have been studying weather systems academically for 30 odd years with back data of nearly 150.

I'm pretty sure it's natural planetary/solar cycles, with the human activities making it slightly worse.

What I have noticed over the past 20 years is more of a shift in the seasons against the fixed solstices and equinoxes of the year. WE get snow when spring should be starting, a slightly sodden spring in lieu of summer, blistering weather in autumn and mists and falling leaves in December

8¬)

Well I reckon that in the UK we now have the rainy season (late summer - autumn) and the dry season (any other time of the year) This seems to be the way we are going.

I would just like to add that yesterday we had another record 70F day, and today is looking the same. It is supposed to get cold over the weekend, and most likely stay cold <sigh> but I'm grilling steaks out tonite with some friends. I would that every winter could be like this...

Eastern PA, little more than an hour east of NYC, and about an hour north of Philadelphia.

I think the weathers definitely getting stranger. Things are strange in general. In the middle of spring I went to my home town to find myself in the middle of a blizzard. Theres been a few small tornados on the north east coast. An earthquake in Nottingham. One day in October it was like the middle of summer here the next day it was freezing.In summer there was a hailstorm.The seasons seem to me to be completely out of whack.

The seasons certainly do seem to be out of sync. I saw a wasp yesterday in NW London, outside my bedroom window. I don't know much about wasps but surly they're summer creatures.

Well, here in the Cheshire badlands, today has been mild and sunny, although a bit of a wind funnelling down the Dee. I've been warm enough in rugby shirt and jeans doing bits and bobs outside, and dodging midges and other nasties that rise form the marsh. On Steve Wright they were saying that some trees are budding in New England, and that bulbs are shooting.
So much for Ice Fayres on the Thames eh?

An early seasons greetings to you all!

8¬)

I see that it's now reckoned, in some scientific circles that the Martian polar ice caps are also receding.

If correct, this would sugest that we don't have gobal warming, due to nasty humans etc etc BUT universal warming due to the sun warming up!!!!!!!

In The Mirror today there is the story of a swallow that has decided not to fly south and is still living in Rhyl . According to the paper 'The last time a swallow was sighted so far North in December was at Bala in 1891 '
Marion

David said:
I see that it's now reckoned, in some scientific circles that the Martian polar ice caps are also receding.

If correct, this would sugest that we don't have gobal warming, due to nasty humans etc etc BUT universal warming due to the sun warming up!!!!!!!
Global warming and cooling is a sort of cycle, there was a period of minor weather deterioration in the 14th Century...

Inverurie Jones said:
Global warming and cooling is a sort of cycle, there was a period of minor weather deterioration in the 14th Century...

I thought that was due to Krakatoa erupting on a massive scale? Made the sky go darker for a couple of years and messed with the weather.

:confused:

Not the 1883(?) one. I thought it erupted in the 14 or 1500s, too. I'm sure there was a C4 prog all about it a couple of years ago.

Santorini exploded in the 14-15 hundreds BC...the current favourite for Atlantis...

When I was at school, we used to construct 'wind roses', a record of wind direction that shows what your prevailing winds are. Here in UK they were generally south-westerly.

But having been a sailor of one sort or another ever since, I have noticed a much higher incidence of Easterly winds, which speaks of changing weather patterns. The weather is also getting more extreme - hotter colder wetter drier, etc, in any one place, but at various times of year.

The medieval cold snap was probably due to the sun - look for "Maunder Mininimum" in a search engine. (Sorry, too tired to do it myself - see RV experiment thread!)

A new favourite for Atlantis may be off Cuba if the latest findings are verified.

I think you were right cursed, there was a C4 program a few years ago, that suggested tha there had been a huge volcanic eruption during the middle ages.

They also had a firm site for the volcano, somewere out in Sumatera. I think it was thought to be the reason for the cold winters of the 17th Century.

The weather does seem to be getting wetter - floods are more frequent in various parts of the country. We've had one really cold spell where I live, with a light covering of snow, but that was quickly followed by unseasonally mild weather. It's not been really cold, I've hardly needed to wear a coat so far this 'autumn/winter'.

Such weather sets the older folk off muttering darkly about it being unhealthy and needing a good cold spell to kill the germs off . . .

Carole

I know that I'm going to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me for this comment, but I'm loving this weather. Not so much the winds and heavy rain of last night, but the low temperatures that mean that you can sleep easily and keep a long sleeved shirt on to keep off the sun without combusting.

Although I must admit that this weather is unnerving after having watched "The Day After Tomorrow". But maybe I just have too much imagination!:p

Yeah, I was just thinking how odd the weather was, although we had the worst of it on Saturday up here, it seems to have improvd since then (Wednesday being comparitively sunny and pleasant, although still not as nice as I'd expect). On Saturday it was lots of torrential rain (I was helping a friend move from Edinburgh back to his parent's house in Livingston, and on the M8 traffic was moving at about 20mph since you couldn't see anything much further ahead for the rain), and apparently the A71 (which another friend with a car full of the same friend's junk went along instead of the motorway) had water 1 foot deep that cars were having to trundle through (maybe I should have taken my dad's diesel instead of my mum's car, water is no object to it ;) ) There was also quite spectacular lightning, possibly the most impressive I've ever seen (very close, going from the clouds to the ground), just as we were passing the shortbread factory.

I love stormy weather too, and fog. I try not to drive in either though. ;)

Back