• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is There A Name For An Invisible Being That Sits On Your Shoulder?

John Bechet

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Two people I have known have told me about this. The second said that there was a name for it, but I don't remember what she said. Does anyone here know?

I was present with the first person to talk about it when she was actually experiencing it, so I can relate more details:

We were in a cafe that was in a crypt. The historic building above was then a branch of Boots or some high street chain. My friend was sensitive to...spirits, for want of a better word. She said most of her family were the same. She would sense things in her surroundings that most people wouldn't. Here in the crypt cafe she was very uncomfortable. She said basically that there were lots of things here with us and one was sitting on her shoulder. To me, looking around, it was only a cafe, but I respected and accepted what she said. She was tense for the rest of the day and did ask me if I thought she was mad. I said no and meant it.

I guess that if there are things around us that are used to us not noticing them, it would make sense that they would take interest in someone who did notice them. Maybe whatever it is, is directly interacting with you because it realizes that you can sense it, messing with you because you are rare. It could be trying to get a reaction from you for all the reasons you can imagine - mischief, malice, loneliness, curiosity. I guess that if ghosts exist and are the remnant forms of people, it stands to reason that you would get the same spectrum of human nature.

That first friend who was in the crypt with me never said it was ghosts. It's hard to pick words for it without pigeon-holing it in ways that feel wrong. So I wish I remembered what that second person told me years later, that the thing that comes and sits on your shoulder has been given a name. Anybody?

Well if the shoulder creature was not dead it would probably be classified as some sort of faerie/fey folk. Or maybe a djinn or the like depending on cultural background.

... That first friend who was in the crypt with me never said it was ghosts. It's hard to pick words for it without pigeon-holing it in ways that feel wrong. So I wish I remembered what that second person told me years later, that the thing that comes and sits on your shoulder has been given a name. Anybody?

The longstanding trope / meme of a shoulder-sitting guardian angel acting as conscience (and / or the reverse version promoting temptation) is the only analogy that comes to mind. The 'good' / conscience version is the only one for which there's a particular label - 'shoulder angel' ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_angel

... though the label is sometimes used to connote both the 'good' and the 'evil' members of the pair.

The notion of personal angels or spirits (for 'good' and / or 'evil') dates back centuries in Christianity. The Wikipedia article cited above refers to what seems to be a more clearly defined version in Islamic tradition labeled Kiraman Katibin. This version concerns a pair of shoulder-sitting spirits who observe and record, but do not interact with the person.

A related Islamic concept labeled Qareen more specifically adds interaction / attempted influence to the shoulder-sitting theme. The 'evil' member of the Qareen pair is strongly associated with the Jinn.

The longstanding trope / meme of a shoulder-sitting guardian angel
Also, for many of us out there that've been initially-programmed by classic Hanna-Barbera at-the-shoulder moral quandaries (or, often by Jerry Mouse, from the epistolic Fred Quimby cartoon series) there is also the eternal reprise of this theme via Peter Griffin, Homer Simson, Stan Smith, Kronk and South Park http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Shoulder_Imp

I've always felt that this bilateral personification (represented in hyperbolic thumbnail as good versus evil) is merely a projection of the intracranial conflict experienced by all of us pseudo-bicameral anthropoids (see Jaynes' persuasive exposition for the 'God Voice'/conflict effect cf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

....a metaphor to describe a mental state in which the experiences and memories of the right hemisphere of the brain are transmitted to the left hemisphere via auditory hallucinations. The metaphor is based on the idea of lateralization of brain function although each half of a normal human brain is constantly communicating with the other through the corpus callosum. The metaphor is not meant to imply that the two halves of the bicameral brain were "cut off" from each other but that the bicameral mind was experienced as a different, non-conscious mental schema wherein volition in the face of novel stimuli was mediated through a linguistic control mechanism and experienced as auditory verbal hallucination.

Further to my (relevant? forgivable?) tangential post above, I append this fascinating chickadee empirical experiment from the Wiki page regarding brain hemisphere "lateralization" (so, left and right 'angels upon the shoulders', being read as metaphorical sides of the brain in terms of perspective/bias/tendency)

"This also brings clarity to differences observed in modern human brains between environments. In areas of prosperity, where warmth, food, and basic needs for survival are abundant Right Hand Side domination is prevalent. Unsurprisingly, in areas of scarcity where cold and limited food are concerns Left Hand Side domination is prevalent. This phenomenon has been recorded numerous times when examining Left Hand Side dominant cultures, such as those of the Arctic, to Right Hand Side dominant cultures, like Africa. Similarly, studies of animals such as the Chickadee have shown similar results. Yukon born chickadees have Left Hand Side dominance as compared to Texas born chickadees with Right Hand Side dominance. In exchanging Yukon borns for Texas borns it was shown that the action reliant Yukon birds consistently became the alpha of their new environment whereas inaction reliant Texan birds died shortly after their arrival in the Yukon"

Last edited:
Very interesting replies, thank you all.

As soon as EnolaGaia mentioned good and bad shoulder angels, the Tom and Jerry version popped into my head, and then I laughed out loud to see Ermintruder mention that in the very next post!

half remember a sheridan le fanu short story which dealt with this exact phenomenon ... was it green tea ? the eponymous tea providing the ability to see the things ?

....the Half-a-Bee?
half remember a sheridan le fanu short story which dealt with this exact phenomenon ... was it green tea ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Glass_Darkly
"Green Tea"
An English clergyman named Jennings confides to Hesselius that he is being followed by a demon in the form of an ethereal monkey, invisible to everyone else, which is trying to invade his mind and destroy his life. Hesselius writes letters to a Dutch colleague about the victim's condition, which gets steadily worse with time as the creature steps up its methods, all of which are purely psychological. The title refers to Hesselius' belief that green tea was what unsealed Jennings's "inner eye" and led to the haunting. Emanuel Swedenborg's book Arcana Cœlestia (1749) is cited on the power of demons.

Don't know about shoulders, but there's the Aufhocker and its relatives, which jump on your back.

The German Legends of the Brothers Grimm, Volume One (1814), contains the following short tale:

"On Kendenich, the old estate of the Teutonic Knights, situated about two hours from Cologne on the Rhine, there is muddy swamp, densely overgrown with rushes and alder shrubs. A nun hides in the rushes there, and no one can pass the area at night without her trying to jump on his back. If she succeeds, the victim is compelled to carry her, and she will drive him the whole night until he falls to the earth unconscious."

The editor and translator of German Legends, Donald Ward, adds this comment:

"This legend deals with the widespread phenomenon of the Aufhocker, or Huckup. This is a spirit of widely varying descriptions, who jumps on someone's shoulders usually at night in a dark place, grabs the person around the neck, and rides on his/her back, growing ever heavier, until the victim drops of exhaustion. Traditions of this nature are known in many countries. The fact that the victim is invariably alone, in the dark, and at some spooky spot when the attack occurs may indicate a psycho-physical state induced by fear and auto-suggestion.

"In this legend the Huckup appears in the shape of a ghostly nun, but one can also encounter Dwarfs, Cobolds, the Devil, cats, or Werewolves -- virtually any frightening creature can assume this role."

Excellent! Very interesting, amarok2005, thank you!

A tangential aside: as a child in the mid-70's, I saw parts of a TV serial that featured a spectral nun with no face. I never saw the ending but a school friend told me it turned out to be a man dressed up, Scooby-Doo style. But ever since then, the thought of ghost nuns has bothered me. Maybe it's the long robes, or the black (in the serial it was a black and white robed nun) that triggers something.

The Aufhucker also brings to mind old folktales of witches riding horses [or people they have transformed into horses!] all night and exhausting them; of nightmare/incubus/Old Hag attacks; and of that strange monster of American tall tales, the Hide-Behind, a creature never seen because it is always behind its victims. This last entity, under the name "the Behinder," has appeared in the tales of fantasist Manly Wade Wellman, who often based his stories on American folklore.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Hidebehind.jpg

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140108050500/cryptidz/images/f/f5/Hide_behind.jpg

The name of a creature that sits on your shoulder and people look right through it?

Polythene.

Back