• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is This Just In Australia?

I like this Australian gentleman ... rash decision making? maybe .... but he's just chased off two robbers while he's half naked and with only a broken flip flop for self defence. Good man. Lots of swearing in this video btw.

That be not a flip - flop that be a half thong!

That be not a flip - flop that be a half thong!
In Australia, what then are those minimalistic underwear cheesewires called? @MungomanII reminded us about thong-shoes, but what are these vvv called in Aus?
200518244-001-young-woman-looking-under-sink-holding-gettyimages.jpg

I do know that in Australia the term 'Durex' refers to sticky-tape (what Brits call Sellotape, and Americans call Scotchtape), rather than condoms, so, all sorts of hilarious slapstick ooh er Matron misunderstandings can arise (I believe a perfect storm may occur if a woman called Sheila is out looking to buy prophylactics at WHSmiths in Basingstoke near Christmas time, if being followed by a kangaroo called Bruce)

Couldn't understand some of what they were saying.

Subtitles made it worse - because they're computer generated.

In Australia, what then are those minimalistic underwear cheesewires called? @MungomanII reminded us about thong-shoes, but what are these vvv called in Aus?

I do know that in Australia the term 'Durex' refers to sticky-tape (what Brits call Sellotape, and Americans call Scotchtape), rather than condoms, so, all sorts of hilarious slapstick ooh er Matron misunderstandings can arise (I believe a perfect storm may occur if a woman called Sheila is out looking to buy prophylactics at WHSmiths in Basingstoke near Christmas time, if being followed by a kangaroo called Bruce)

I've always known them as a 'G string' - I think that wearing something like this would be uncomfortable - a bit like a crupper on a horse.

In the local language 'Kondili worti' comes close...

As noted above, that item of clothing is a g-string in Australia. A friend did buy me one once as a joke Christmas gift, not very comfortable. That particular pose with the g-string poking out above the waist of the pants is known as a "whale tail".

I've never heard the word durex used to refer to sticky-tape.

From my time in Oz;

A thong (or one of a pair of thongs) is a pair of flip-flops (personally impossible to wear),

"A" thong is also a piece of cheese-cutter underwear (Not for me but nice to look at)

Durex is sellotape.

Johnnies (from someone whose name is John and whose parents called him "Johnnie") are condoms.

And due to jet squadron and helicopter service, deafness and tinnitus making interpreting what I hear interesting .. makes videos interesting ...

I've never heard the word durex used to refer to sticky-tape.

Aha, gotcha! Are you perhaps one of these Austrian Australians, that's not properly trained in the use of sexually-ambiguous brand-names for self-adhesive tape down under?? Exibit 'A' for the prosecution....
2016-02-12 21.57.18.png

Ah, but @DougalLongfoot is an implicit Australian. They usually live in Queensland, don't they? Implicits, I mean, not DougalLongfoot. Well, that's the implication.
No, despite having lived in South Austraiia, and having been a New South Welcher and a Queenslander, I know there are language limits between states.

Edited, because I shouldn't type after whiskies.

Last edited:
I don't presume to speak for all 24 million Australians, but living in northern inland NSW (and having spent some years in the south of NSW) I've never heard or used the word durex used as a generic term for sticky-tape, we just say sticky-tape for the clear stuff, masking tape for the yellow easy to tear version, electrical tape for the various narrow coloured tapes you use to hold your socks up on the sporting field and if playing league or union, to stop the cauliflower ears. The wide grey or black tape used to hold broken pieces of equipment or machinery together is duct tape or gaffer tape.

Adhesive plasters for treating minor injuries are usually know as band-aids or elastoplast, being the two major brands.

Condoms are either called condoms, or the slang term when I was a teenager was "franger", with the ng as in singer, not anger. No idea if the young people today still use that word.

If you're interested, the Macquarie Dictionary has a "word map" for regional words in Australia:

https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/resources/word/map/

No, despite Having lived inSouth Austraiia, and A New South Welcher And a Queenslander. There are very impliicit language limits,i between states

Don't get me started on Devon...or Fritz...or luncheon meat.. or...

I don't presume to speak for all 24 million Australians, but living in northern inland NSW (and having spent some years in the south of NSW) I've never heard or used the word durex used as a generic term for sticky-tape, we just say sticky-tape for the clear stuff, masking tape for the yellow easy to tear version, electrical tape for the various narrow coloured tapes you use to hold your socks up on the sporting field and if playing league or union, to stop the cauliflower ears. The wide grey or black tape used to hold broken pieces of equipment or machinery together is duct tape or gaffer tape.

Adhesive plasters for treating minor injuries are usually know as band-aids or elastoplast, being the two major brands.

Condoms are either called condoms, or the slang term when I was a teenager was "franger", with the ng as in singer, not anger. No idea if the young people today still use that word.

If you're interested, the Macquarie Dictionary has a "word map" for regional words in Australia:

https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/resources/word/map/

I'm a responsible sort of cove DL, who does have some frangers in his bedroom drawers :D..no, not my drawers, the wooden drawers...

I must say, latter-day Strine vocabulary seems to be extremely-popular amongst large population groups living in a certain small northern hemisphere island group that's a located a couple of light-years north-east from the Continent. I predict that terms such as 'barbie' and 'strewth' will become the predominant forms in the UK before the end of the decade (the word "wonga" is now even used in Buckingham Palace, my taxi driver told me that, and he certainly knows where he's going)

Anyway @DougalLongfoot many thanks for the Macquarie map. I'll now withdraw my vexatious allegation that you might've been a closet Austrian, I can finally see you're a true-blue Aussie that does know a thing or two regarding antipodean adhesive tape, so, ergo we can now just say in the words of that Wonka drongo pax australis cognito prophylacticum and leave it at that.

I was able initially to see an actual sociotopograhical map on the Macquarie site, but now it won't show again, on my unsmart phone. The presence of a 28th large (unnamed) rectangular island off the south coast of Australia intrigued me. I'm sure it's just a representational map-fudge, but the concept of an enormous unexplored WW2 concrete barge the size of Italy floating loosely between the south coast of Australia, and Antarctica, is very appealing.

Now would this be an example of the Great Oz Fair Dinkum Spirit?

Protesters have gathered at an Australian hospital to support doctors that have refused to discharge a baby facing deportation to a detention camp.

The Lady Cilento Hospital in Brisbane said the year-old girl will not be released "until a suitable home environment is identified".

The daughter of asylum-seeker parents suffered serious burns at an immigration camp on Nauru island.

The government says its controversial offshore detention policy is necessary.

It is aimed at preventing asylum seekers trying to reach Australia on unseaworthy boats.

Ellen Roberts, a spokeswoman for campaign group GetUp, said protesters were "standing in solidarity" with the baby's parents - who are in Brisbane - and the hospital.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35568467

Back