• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is This The Men In Black's Number?

A

Anonymous

On talksport the other week,a presenter claimed that he found the men in black's number whilst on the internet.
He phoned the number up and this computer genertated voice came up with babble and saying weild stuff {for example "enter command".
The next day i tried to find the number and was sucsessfull and it came up again with the scary voice and his weird sayings.
The link is here if anybody wants to try

men in black hotline

Did you have to put the international dialling code for the USA at the start of it? If so, what was the number?

That's really spooky - I'm too spooked to try it! Well, it is almost midnight so I may try it during the comfort of the daylight instead!

"enter command" sounds very much like u dialed up a terminal thats expecting u to tell it to do something.. i remeber from FT the tale of a central heathing system constantly dialing a non existant nunber to tell HQ it had run out of oil... vending mechines do this too...

sidecar_jon said:
"enter command" sounds very much like u dialed up a terminal thats expecting u to tell it to do something.. i remeber from FT the tale of a central heathing system constantly dialing a non existant nunber to tell HQ it had run out of oil... vending mechines do this too...

Yes, I remember that. Also, chain stores, in pre-internet days, used to use bauds to let their in-store stock computers liase with their central ones via the phone lines overnight, and so would have to go through dial-up procedures involving long streams of numbers.

Here is a transcript of my call:

I called at about 3:50 pm Eastern Standard Time

<Loud beep.. sounds like a modem>

<Mechanical voice spouting out letters... couldn't catch them>

Enter Command

Time 1600 Level 27.70

Enter Command

Time 1600 Level 27.70

Enter Command

Time 1930 Level 24.95

Enter Command

Time 1330 Level 24.79

Enter Command

No Data

Enter Command

Time 1930 Level 24.95

Enter Command

Time 1900 Level 24.94

Enter Command

Time 1900 Level 24.94

Enter Command

Time 1930 Level 24.95

Enter Command

Time 194539 Level 24.95

Enter Command

<Loud beep and beginning message was repeated... still couldn't get all the letters>

Enter Command

#

<Disconnected>

It's some type of automated system... probably answers computer modems too (possibly a fax, but I doubt it). I'll probably call back soon and see if I can't get those letters.

EDIT

Ok, the letters are spouted out really really fast and they all sound the same. I *think* they're IBTOIMT. Also checked some of the number commands again and the times and levels are already changed from before. I called about 10 minutes later than the first call. Especially worthy of note is that command 5 didn't say 'No Data', but gave me time and level values this time.
Weird stuff. Next I'll see if I can't figure out where the 304 area code and 675 prefix are located.

/EDIT

Has anybody seen wargames
Perhaps we are hacking into the goverment and giving militry orders:confused:

It's some type of automated system... probably answers computer modems too (possibly a fax, but I doubt it). I'll probably call back soon and see if I can't get those letters.

Tried it with PC Anywhere, connected but just got the Voice Prompts, then disconnected

Weird though

on a different note, England 1- 0! Bloody hell!

Skynet said:
Has anybody seen wargames
Perhaps we are hacking into the goverment and giving militry orders:confused:

Oh My god, we ARE the 911 Government Plot!!

Mind you, if it is the MIB phone number, they're hardly going to ignore a bunch of goons like us ringing them at all hours, are they? If it was real, it'd either have been disconnected or we'd have been hunted down and

Area Code Prefix City/Switch Name State/Prov. Telco Type
304 675 POINT PLEASANT West Virginia RBOC

Point Pleasant, WV (city)
Population (1990): 4996
Zip Code(s): 25550

(phone number prefix lookup site is: http://www.primeris.com/fonefind/

Wow. Many thanks. I wasn't having much luck.

Just a theory, but this may be a secret part of the US defence network.
It's probably used by top brass to pass instructions to a defence computer somewhere, by phone (perhaps a nuclear bomb launch system or something). They'd use it in the event of military comms links being disrupted.
A wild guess.

Mythopoeika said:
Just a theory, but this may be a secret part of the US defence network.

Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong - but I think I heard that the US reserves entire sections of the phone grid for stuff like this. For example, none of our area codes start with 1 or 0. Any 'sensitive' numbers probably have their very own area codes plus prefixes. Otherwise some old granny may call up one of her friends to chat and accidentally blow up Russia when she hits the '7' instead of the '4'. Or at the very least become an instant subject of a very expensive investigation due to 'gaining' knowledge of secret gub'ment stuffs. We're funny like that, dontcha know?

I have doubts about this being part of a rarely used backup defense system. I say this mainly because someone would have noticed all these calls from people trying to figure out what it is and have had the number changed by now.

They would moniter something like that I would think. (IE.. more then two calls a week comes into the backup system, a n alert message pops up somewhere...

Unless the claim that this line has been running since the 60's that i believe I saw someone make is accurate... If you consider computer technology progress in that time.... it seems far more interesting then thought.

I think it could be a test-line from which telephone techs phone-up and test the strength of the line.
This also could explain the fact why it doenst feature on the phone bill-im sure there are bt lines that are excatly the same as this MIB number

I have a question for anyone else who called this number. Have you received any unusual automated calls since then? Today at work I received a telephone call. After answering the normal way, all I heard was a series of beeps. They were about 3 or 4 seconds apart, all the same tone. Haven't dialed this number since I posted my transcript, but can't think of any other connection.

BTW I have a recording of the beeps on my digital recorder, and could make the effort to get it on a PC if anyone is interested. The recording is anything but interesting, though, just as I described.

Prodotis said:
Area Code Prefix City/Switch Name State/Prov. Telco Type
304 675 POINT PLEASANT West Virginia RBOC

Point Pleasant, WV (city)
Population (1990): 4996
Zip Code(s): 25550
Er, no, not MIB...

It's Mothman's number!

Ooo er! :eek!!!!:

Indrid Cold's Number

Actually, it's Indrid Cold's number, if Keel is to be believed.

Sounds, by the way, like a code element, perhaps the electronic equivalent of either a one-time pad or a book code?

Just a thought. It might allow two disparate parties to coordinate codes so they can communicate but remain unknown to each other. The bizarre times and reference to "level" and the decimal point numbers are indicative of some grid referent.

Perhaps.

It's not military in any sense, style, or way I'm familiar with, but it sure is tied in with what John Keel claims to have experienced in Point Pleasant, WV, USA, in The Mothman Prophecies.

And in case anyone wonders, it's been in operation for years, probably since the 1960's, according to locals.

The call-backs with beeping and no voices is typical of Indrid Cold's methods, and also of MIB. Could be he/it was one, hm?

Or so he'd have us believe...

If you read Mothman Prophecies, you'll encounter Keel's interesting account of tracing a telephone line, physically, from his apartment, to a mysterious splice box no one in the telephone company could explain. That does sound spook-like, but why bother hell out of Keel with such a system?

I hope this number isn't controlling a boiler or air conditioner
in a school or hospital or something... ;)

This sounds like the kind of system Honeywell uses
for remotely operating equipment.

Of course, one of the local Honeywell plants DID have
a UFO hovering over it several years ago.
The guy who told of his sighting was obviously
VERY affected by this -- you could tell he was
no longer concerned with mundane, everyday life.

FWIW
TVgeek

Dates, Levels

If it is a furnace, say, or heating or cooling system, then why give bizarre dates, and why has it been the same for decades? Surely the affected folks would notice wild fluctuations and fix the problem.

Re: Dates, Levels

FraterLibre said:
If it is a furnace, say, or heating or cooling system, then why give bizarre dates, and why has it been the same for decades? Surely the affected folks would notice wild fluctuations and fix the problem.

I guess I was just thinking of "War Games"! :)

TVgeek

Hmmmmmmmmm... I was cynically thinking you were phoning some kind of phone maintainance centre until the Point Pleasant connection was made!

Currently reading The Mothman Prophecies, so will let ya know if I've got any ideas when I've finished it!:D

Check on it...

Uh..has anyone called the phone company in Point Pleasant to ask them if they know what it is? And no...I haven't checked on it yet....

Calling Point Pleasant

Good suggestion, Dr. Wu. Be my guest, unless you know someone geographically closer.

Any West Virginians present?

Phone up and ask!?!

Normally I'd say yes - why sit around like a bunch of Greek philosophers arguing about how many teeth a horse should have, get out there and count them!

But in the current atmosphere of paranoia in the States, anyone asking strange questions is likely to be banged up in Camp X-ray for the next century or two.... :eek!!!!:

Yeah, reading the Mothman Prophecies it stuck me how it all would be taken as suspected terrorism by the authorities these days. Swarthy, foreign-looking men turn up talking weird and asking strange questions, generally freaking people out, and then a bridge gets destroyed! Of course the authorities would overlook the giant Mothmen, UFOs, Poltergeists etc etc etc.

(Not quite finished TMP yet, but am pleased to report it's the first book to give me scary dreams since the Usbourne Book of Vampires and Werewolves!)

This might just be coincidence, but I finally decided to give this number a go and the string of letters given was R E P T O I D. Honestly.

EEEEEEEEK!

Back