• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It will happen to me ....

Well, I'm now officially perplexed ....

I stopped the whole EVP thing a few days back - no results whatsoever. Not that that will be the end of it, its very hard to give any quantative opinion on such a short limitation of time doing the experiment.

However ...

I did the whole 'sellotape on the light switch' thing - end result being that the light has been on and stayed on for five days straight. No surprise there, but today I was out all morning, after doing my cursory room check for security & lighting in each room, and when i got back the bathroom light was on.

I know for a fact that it was off before leaving the flat. There was no hurry in the checking before I left, I looked at all lights & windows. I don't know quite what to think.
If it makes any difference the bathroom light switch is an 'olde style' cord type thing.

I'm pondering now. Thoughts?

Re: VA

Pearl_Knight said:
Hi Smoothvirus!

How close is Fredericksburg to Staunton, Va?

The reason I ask is because I've visited that most beautiful of states and I stayed in Staunton. There were a 101 of us recreating the Battle of Worcester 1651 about 5/6 years ago.

Anyroad-up, I can well believe you'd get something EVPing in Virginia - such a postitive place.

Yours in the Cause

PK

It's about 100 miles to Staunton from Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg is 50 miles south of Washington DC on I-95, halfway between DC and Richmond.

GiantSpaceApe said:
Well, I'm now officially perplexed ....

I stopped the whole EVP thing a few days back - no results whatsoever. Not that that will be the end of it, its very hard to give any quantative opinion on such a short limitation of time doing the experiment.

However ...

I did the whole 'sellotape on the light switch' thing - end result being that the light has been on and stayed on for five days straight. No surprise there, but today I was out all morning, after doing my cursory room check for security & lighting in each room, and when i got back the bathroom light was on.

I know for a fact that it was off before leaving the flat. There was no hurry in the checking before I left, I looked at all lights & windows. I don't know quite what to think.
If it makes any difference the bathroom light switch is an 'olde style' cord type thing.

I'm pondering now. Thoughts?

Are you positive you had turned the light off? And that no-one else was there?

If you are certain, then it seems you do have something rather odd going on.

It might be worth making a checklist to go through before leaving the house to be 101% sure - a bit OCD, but also very good evidence.

With the ordinary rocker light switch, I would be tempted to clean it thoroughly, wait for it to be 'switched' and then dust it for finger prints.

This is very interesting stuff - please keep us informed!

giantrobot1 said:

I can without doubt say that no-one else was there - I live alone. I alone am the keyholder to the property.

I am also confident that the state of each light was as mentioned, as I had started writing down the state of each before I leave (I agree, very OCD, but in this case its' mostly to assure me I haven't lost my memory!).

GiantSpaceApe said:
giantrobot1 said:

I can without doubt say that no-one else was there - I live alone. I alone am the keyholder to the property.

I am also confident that the state of each light was as mentioned, as I had started writing down the state of each before I leave (I agree, very OCD, but in this case its' mostly to assure me I haven't lost my memory!).

Great. This is now officially getting Weird.

Have you thought of any experiments/tests to do?

giantrobot1 said:
Great. This is now officially getting Weird.

Have you thought of any experiments/tests to do?

Well, I wouldn't say 'great' exactly. A tad more worrying from my point of view tbh.

I haven't really thought much about tests, I've been more concerned with just tracking whats happened so I know I'm not completely insane!

For me, as a fortean, I always thought this situation would be marvellous. Turns out, its more disconcerting than anything.

If this was happening in my house I'd have moved out by now. One of my greatest fears is coming home one day and finding things subtley changed somehow with nobody else there to do it...Makes me shiver to think about it.

mindalai said:
If this was happening in my house I'd have moved out by now. One of my greatest fears is coming home one day and finding things subtley changed somehow with nobody else there to do it...Makes me shiver to think about it.

If things were different I would have moved by now tbh.

And I'd have moved in. I love spooky stuff. 8)

mindalai said:

My wife and I just moved into a new apartment about 5 weeks ago. After the normal mess and boxes all over the place were taken care of we had the place pretty well set up. The apartment had been used by an elderly lady for three decades until she could not care for herself any longer and ended up in a nursing home until she passed away. When we had the kitchen things set in the cupboards, we toasted our new home with a drink from two very old whiskey glasses. About three days later, one of the glasses ended up missing. No shattered glass about, nothing. Just the single glass in the cupboard. We thought this very odd since it is only us in the place.

This last week we noticed three plastic juice glasses are now missing also. Mindalai, we find that this really is not all that frightening to either of us, just odd. As you said, a subtle change with no one else there to do it. My only question is, what are happening to our glasses?

When I was about 12 years old, I remember a sugar bowl moving slowly across the formica tabletop during breakfast - an event we explained away by the discovery of a film of water on the bottom of the dish. The strange thing was that the sugar bowl disappeared that day and was never found, even when we moved house.

I've just ordered a smart digital Dictaphone jobby
The BF said 'Aha! A a portable EVP recorder! Just what we need!'
:roll:

I can see the transcript of my research interviews already.

Researcher: Can you describe the experience, Mr X?
Respondent: Redrum! Redruuuuuuuuuuum!

A couple of things to add to this.

The bathroom lighting has been 'performing' again.
More intruigingly though is the hall light. This is the original light that started all my interest. Of late it has again been acting up. Since last posting though I have replaced the original switch with a dimmer switch. For about a week and a half all has been fine.
However, 2 days ago I came home and switched on the light, immediately the bulb blew. Fair enough, it happens. So I change it, and for about 15 mins all is well, then it also blows.
I begin to think that my switch replacement is dodgy, so I change the bulb again as a test. A couple of hours later, it blows again.

So now convinced I'm pants on electrical workings, I call an electrician and get him to check everything. He reports that everything is perfect so I ask him to double check & pay particular attention to the light switch I installed. Again he reports that as far as he is concerned from an electrical point of view, all is well. Semi-reassured I wave goodbye & leave it at that. For the next day things seem to be okay. I sleep well.
Next day though, the hall light I left on at a specific dimmage (not a word but I mean I had turned the dimmer to a set level & marked the switched and the mounting) had switched itself off. So I switch it back on.

3 hours later, whilst I'm in the living room with the door open, I see the light in the hallway switch off.

So I call in my Bro-in-law (an electrician) under the premise of being worried about fire risks, and he feels everything is okay, performing more thorough tests than the original electrician I may add.

Hmmmm, electrical, or otherwise, I don't know.

Interesting stuff, has anything else happened lately?

Interesting stuff, has anything else happened lately?

Just more of the same, no more bulbs blowing, but switching on & off is rife. I ended up replacing the dimmer switch - reverting back to a normal switch (at my landlords request).

It feels less disconcerting now I have to say, almost mundane in fact. Never thought I'd say that after being mildly freaked out the first few times, but I guess if anything happens regularly enough you get used to it.

Still no idea as to the cause, there doesn't seem to be any correlation with mood, activity, etc.

Plans are afoot to move in the next couple of months anyway so there may be an end in sight.

Thought I'd post an update...

Since moving house (2 months on the nose today) absolutely nothing untoward has happened and that makes me happy, if wary.

Annoyingly, the person that moved into my old place says there is nothing at all weird happening. I had hoped that it was & thereby in my mind prove that is was a local electrical fault.

3 hours later, whilst I'm in the living room with the door open, I see the light in the hallway switch off.

It's possible that could just be the dimmer switch that time, they can do some very odd things sometimes. I used to have one in my bedroom and the brightness would fluctuate throughout the night depending (or so i'm told) on what the demand on the mains is like. Sometimes if i left it on very low it would actually switch itself off during the night (never caught it doing this, thankfully, as i'm terrified of the dark!).

BlackRiverFalls said:
It's possible that could just be the dimmer switch that time, they can do some very odd things sometimes. I used to have one in my bedroom and the brightness would fluctuate throughout the night depending (or so i'm told) on what the demand on the mains is like.

I have a bedside lamp with a dimmer switch. If I turn the electric heater on in my bedroom, the lamp gets dimmer. If someone in the kitchen makes a cuppa, the lamp brightens when the kettle switches off.

Good point BRF, although the light had switched off just as a normal switch would. Doesn't mean the same factors couldn't have caused it mind you

Back