• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
I think we're talking past each other here.

Point 1: If an eyewitness (which we now consider to be an unreliable form of identification, absent other evidence) had selected an individual out of a lineup as a person seen having a dust-up with Stride, would he have been convicted on that evidence alone and Jack the Ripper now be either a non-mystery, or a controversy over whether or not they got the wrong man?

Point 2: You can't "make" anybody testify and there's no real eyewitness to a Ripper murder anyway.

Point 2, accurate though it is, does not address Point 1, but dwells on a weakness in the original phrasing of the question.

It is probably true that you could have gotten a conviction of almost anyone pegged as being seen in the last few minutes of any Ripper victim's life, without it being true that he was the Ripper, as long as no more women were murdered in Whitechapel before his jury was secluded. If Lawende could have been coerced, bribed, or persuaded to identify Kosminski as the person he saw with Stride, as certain authorities evidently wanted him to, Kosminski would have been in very hot water. However, it is also true that if he'd been kept alive and under guard long enough and the Kelly murder occurred anyway, he would now be on the "cleared suspect" list; or Kelly would not be counted in the Ripper's tally, which opens up a whole new array of alternate histories.

You could write the story either way. I wouldn't get married to either.

BBC News Friday 5th September

Ripper 'claimed earlier victims'

Jack the Ripper may have killed his first victim 25 years earlier than previously thought, a retired murder detective has claimed in a new book.

It is thought that Jack the Ripper killed and mutilated at least five prostitutes in the East End between August and November 1888.

But Trevor Marriott says he may have struck in 1863 and 1872.

Mr Marriott will be presenting his findings at the Docklands Museum which is hosting an exhibition on the killer.

Bodies unattended

The body of 28-year-old prostitute Emma Jackson was found in a brothel in St Giles, central London, in April 1863.

She had five wounds to the throat and had not been robbed. The case was never solved.

The organs were not removed by the killer at the crime scenes but by person or persons unknown for medical research

Mr Marriott also uncovered a second case he believes may have been committed by the Ripper.

Nine years after the Jackson murder, on Christmas Day 1872, Harriet Buswell was found with her throat slit at her lodgings in nearby Great Coram Street, after returning home the previous evening with a male guest.

Both cases remain unsolved.

In his book, The Evil Within, Mr Marriott claims that Jack the Ripper did not remove internal organs from two of his victims.

Traditionally, the serial killer is alleged to have removed organs from the bodies of his victims, including his second "official" victim Annie Chapman and Catherine Eddowes, his fourth, with a degree of medical precision.

But Mr Marriott said: "The organs were not removed by the killer at the crime scenes but by person or persons unknown for medical research at some point between the bodies being removed from the crime scenes and the post mortems taking place some 12 hours later.

"In both these cases the bodies had been left alone and unattended outside makeshift mortuaries."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7601145.stm

I think I am on the side that there were at least two people working under the name of Jack the Ripper. One being a surgeon or butcher of great skill, and another more brutal and lower class person. Notice I am not using the word "man". Jack's letters to the police, and the infamous Jew grafitti found next to the cloth fragment are both poorly spelled and written pieces, surely a surgeon would have some level of literacy?

I honestly believe this could be linked to th anatomists, perhaps a protestor against the Burke and Hare school of gaining bodies by ham fistedly showing us what they thin an anatomist does, perhaps?

celticrose said:
I think I am on the side that there were at least two people working under the name of Jack the Ripper. One being a surgeon or butcher of great skill, and another more brutal and lower class person. Notice I am not using the word "man". Jack's letters to the police, and the infamous Jew grafitti found next to the cloth fragment are both poorly spelled and written pieces, surely a surgeon would have some level of literacy?

Unless that's what "Jack" wanted people to think and was actually educated. We'll never know...

True. I will be studying Jack the Riper as part of my degree in September, and may be writing my thesis on him, so if I come across any interesting theories/evidence etc, I shall update here.

In which case you should check out casebook.org. They have more than enough interesting theories, evidence, information, etc to keep anyone busy for several years. Quite enough to make you regret ever even mentioning Jack the Ripper in a thesis! :D

Particularly if you're relying on the letters and the Goulston Street Graffiti for anything. They can be used to prove or disprove anything. For instance, the poor spelling. Someone who knows 'knife' begins with a 'k' surely knows enough to know it ends in an 'e'? So perhaps he wanted people to think he was less educated than he actually was?

As for the graffiti - can open, worms everywhere. Most Ripperologists discount it these days.

Yesterday I went to see the Jack the Ripper exhibition at the London Docklands museum mentioned above (and also here). I'm not overly familiar with the cases, but I'd say the exhibition is good for getting a general overview. There's particular focus on the social deprivation and general milieu in which the murders were carried out, which aids general understanding. There are also plenty of contemporary accounts, evidence etc, as well as current theories on subjects such as prostitution in general, whether the murderer/murderers were surgeons etc. (including a Feminist perspective from Bonnie Greer, which I'm afraid I found very unconvincing, but nevertheless interesting). The only area where I found it lacking was in the suspects - I would have liked more about how they came to be considered as suspects, arguments for and against etc. because I felt that area was glossed over towards the end.

Otherwise, an interesting exhibition. And the rest of the museum is worth a look too. :D

I'll cross-post what I put elsewhere about my visit:

The Jack the Ripper exhibition at the London Museum at Docklands.
- Hadn't been to Canary Wharf for a long time and, I must say, it's really nice there nowadays. I'm no ripperologist, but have a fairly rounded idea of the subject from general Fortean interest. I'll summarise by saying it's good. Not amazing, but a well put together exhibition. There are lot of primary sources to see - handwritten letters and notebooks with typed transcriptions, period artefacts, uniforms, photos, newspapers galore, and facsimilies of everything they couldn't get their hands on. The exhibition is supported by three pillars to which they constantly return: 1) Booth's annotated maps of poverty and vice in the East-End (and London more widely) 2) Newspaper reports of each murder and the police response [Incidently, 12 victims are mentioned with no absolute assertions as to who was a 'Ripper' victim and who was not), 3) An ongoing reconstruction of the lives of the denizens of the East End. The slightly postgrad. part features a contemporary oil-painting of the Minotaur and slightly strained comparisons of Whitechapel to the labyrinth or an abyss. Admission, IIRC £7 (inc. wider museum)

News of a particularly nasty, Ripper copy-cat, getting his just desserts.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/ripper-fan-jailed-for-murders-952785.html

Ripper fan jailed for murders

Independent Online. PA. 6 October 2008

A killer who tried to emulate Jack the Ripper was today jailed for life for the murder of two young mothers at the start of what may have become a killing spree.

Loner Derek Brown was told he must serve a minimum term of 30 years in prison for killing DVD seller Xiao Mei Guo and prostitute Bonnie Barrett.

Brown, 48, butchered the women in his flat before disposing of their bodies, which have never been found.

An Old Bailey jury found him guilty of both murders after deliberating for less than three hours on Friday.

After the verdicts, relatives of both victims made emotional appeals for the killer to tell them what he had done with their remains.

Police believe he may have killed before and are combing crime files across the country to see if his details match up with other cases.

Brown, who craved notoriety, picked up Mrs Guo and Miss Barrett in the same Whitechapel area of east London stalked by the Ripper more than a century ago.

Already a serial sex attacker, detectives believe he would have become a serial killer if he had not been stopped.

Inquiries have since revealed the convicted rapist was also a suspect in a third "historic" murder hunt outside London.

Brown, a father of seven, has in addition been identified by victims in five other rapes over two decades and is suspected of carrying out further sex attacks.

As it states there were never a clear count to how many women were killed because of the lack of support the police at that time had.

All of the rippers victims were prostitutes so maybe he had a hatred of them maybe his mother was one and this made him angry at all prostitutes and lower level "workers".

The way he killed them suggest that he stood behindthem while they were getting ready this could also mean he could mot look at them while he was killing them. The removal of vital organs makes me think he had good knowledge of the human anatomy to be able to do this in the dark and with good precise clean cuts he sounds like he knows what he is doing which suggests a surgeon or a coroner.

Here you are, Jack The Ripper case fans, more grist for the mystery maniac mill.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/madmans-notes-throw-new-light-on-ripper-case-1024593.html

Madman's notes throw new light on Ripper case

The medical records of a key suspect finally go public, 117 years after he was locked up

Independent Online. By Andy McSmith. 19 November 2008

After years of secrecy, the Broadmoor authorities have released the medical records of a Victorian madman who was suspected of being the serial killer known as Jack the Ripper.

Thomas Hayne Cutbush was a strange, disturbed and violent youth who was diagnosed as insane in 1891 and remained in Broadmoor until his death in 1903. During the period when the Ripper was on the rampage in Whitechapel, east London, Cutbush was wandering the area's streets. And the Ripper, whoever he was, did not kill again after Cutbush was locked up.

Visitors to the Berkshire Records Office in Reading can inspect the 26 documents that make up the records Broadmoor kept about Cutbush, as well as the letters from Ripper investigators pleading to see the documents.

Disappointingly, the documents do not prove that Cutbush and Jack the Ripper were the same man. There is not even evidence that the Broadmoor attendants or medical staff believed he was a murderer. But there is enough to keep Cutbush on the suspect list.

He was – to quote an entry on his medical records – "very insane", a danger to the staff, other patients and even to his adoring mother. He was convinced that others were plotting to harm him and fantasised aloud about getting his hands on a knife so that he could "rip" the staff and patients.

Until he was arrested and diagnosed, Cutbush had lived his whole life in Kennington, south London, within walking distance of the scene of the Ripper murders. He was born on 29 June 1864, which would mean that he was 24 when Jack the Ripper started killing. His father died when he was young and he was brought up by his mother, Kate, and her sister, who evidently adored him.

He worked as a clerk but in 1888, about the time the Ripper killings began, he went insane. It has been assumed that he contracted syphilis. His death certificate says that he died from "cronic [sic] kidney disease" – although the document attributes his insanity to "heredity and overstudy".

There was certainly madness in the family. His uncle, a superintendent in the Metropolitan Police, shot himself in 1896 in front of his daughter. The reference to "overstudy" refers to the evenings young Thomas spent poring over medical textbooks after he came home from work, until madness took hold. He took to wandering the streets at night, returning sometimes covered in mud or – according to one report – in blood.

He also became convinced that his doctor, Dr Brooks, or Brookes, was trying to poison him. He wrote to Lord Grimthorpe, one of London's leading lawyers, demanding action, but then concluded that Grimthorpe was in on the conspiracy. He was taken to a Lambeth clinic but escaped. While on the loose, a girl was stabbed nearby and another threatened. A memo in his medical notes says: "Through the carelessness of the attendant he escaped. Smeared his face with mud so as to avoid detection. Came home at midnight. Man at Cottons Wharf says he was there when assault alledged [sic] was committed."

Cutbush was never convicted of a crime because the jury at his trial in April 1891 concluded that he was insane. His mother protested that he had done nothing. But the medical notes accompanying his arrival in Broadmoor suggest that he was dangerous: "Is dazed and at times incoherent, strange and shifty in appearance. Has ideas of persecution, specially against Lord Grimthorpe".

"His aunt, Clara Hayne, says at times he has been violent or destructive, breaking glass and chandeliers. He has at times said he is poisoned and has refused all food except what she would prepare for him."

In May 1891, an attendant wrote: "At 8.20, I was talking to Gilbert Cooper in the gallery. Cutbush came up and without a word struck Cooper a violent blow in the face." Another report warned: "Thomas Cutbush told Att. [attendant] Slater at dinner twice that he would stick a knife into any of us if he had one."

A few days later, Mr Bailey, the night attendant, reported: "[Cutbush] was using some very disgusting and threatening language: said that if he had a knife suitable for the job he would rip up the Atts or anyone else that upset him as soon as look at them."

He also threatened his mother, who visited him in April 1903, two months before he died. As they left, "Mrs Cutbush tried to kiss her son. He tried to bite her face and then commenced to swear at them".

The finger of suspicion was first pointed at Cutbush in 1894, by a tabloid newspaper, The Sun, which was no relation to its modern-day successor. The report claimed that despite the popular supposition that the Ripper was dead, he was in fact a mental patient. The Sun's detailed description was clearly that of Cutbush. The suspicion was that the Met covered up his guilt to avoid the embarrassing outcry that might have followed the revelation that the country's most feared serial killer was Superintendent Henry Cutbush's nephew.

One book has named Cutbush as the No 1 Ripper suspect but others have poured cold water on this theory. Its main weakness is that the last known Ripper victim died in November 1888, at the end of a killing spree that lasted 11 weeks. If Cutbush was the killer, it seems odd that he should commit five murders over so short a period and then stop for more than two years before committing one more assault, which his victim survived. But there is almost no chance that the case can ever be solved and so for as long as the 120-year-old myths persist, Thomas Hayne Cutbush remains on the suspect list.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Until he was arrested and diagnosed, Cutbush had lived his whole life in Kennington, south London, within walking distance of the scene of the Ripper murders.

All in all an interesting article but like all people put forward as suspects there are flaws in the evidence.
I would point out that there is over three mile between Kennington and Whitechapel. If you walk between the two you skirt the Elephant and castle. In victorian London the Elephant and Castle also had a very high number of prostitutes. You would think at least one ripper type killing would have happened in this area if he was the ripper.
I think the fact all the ripper killings are in such a small area of London (I've walked between the sites myself) suggests someone that lived in whitechapel was the killer.
The fact he used the word rip meaning to cut somebody post the ripper murders does not make him responsible for the murders as it had come into common usage.
The large gap between the last ripper murder and the attack that got him put away is not consistent with what we know about how serial killers escalate. I think that in all likelyhood the ripper died or moved oversea post the crimes.
I also think that even if we get a signed confession unearthed from somewhere, this would still not be accepted as the truth and the ripper case will forever be unsolved.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Here you are, Jack The Ripper case fans, more grist for the mystery maniac mill.
Thomas Hayne Cutbush was a strange, disturbed and violent youth who was diagnosed as insane in 1891 and remained in Broadmoor until his death in 1903. During the period when the Ripper was on the rampage in Whitechapel, east London, Cutbush was wandering the area's streets. And the Ripper, whoever he was, did not kill again after Cutbush was locked up.

That's enough for me!

Thomas.....Hayne......Cutbush.....I find you guilty of.....

Hang on a minute....that's a particularly apt surname don't you think?

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry :oops:

mugwumpaddict said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
Until he was arrested and diagnosed, Cutbush had lived his whole life in Kennington, south London, within walking distance of the scene of the Ripper murders.

All in all an interesting article but like all people put forward as suspects there are flaws in the evidence.
I would point out that there is over three mile between Kennington and Whitechapel. If you walk between the two you skirt the Elephant and castle. In victorian London the Elephant and Castle also had a very high number of prostitutes. You would think at least one ripper type killing would have happened in this area if he was the ripper.
I think the fact all the ripper killings are in such a small area of London (I've walked between the sites myself) suggests someone that lived in whitechapel was the killer.
The fact he used the word rip meaning to cut somebody post the ripper murders does not make him responsible for the murders as it had come into common usage.
The large gap between the last ripper murder and the attack that got him put away is not consistent with what we know about how serial killers escalate. I think that in all likelyhood the ripper died or moved oversea post the crimes.
I also think that even if we get a signed confession unearthed from somewhere, this would still not be accepted as the truth and the ripper case will forever be unsolved.

In Victorian times people used to walk from the East End to Kent to pick hops, and earlier still we know William Blake recorded his strolls from Lambeth into the West End. So the walks not that unusual. He was also at one time employed in the East End as a canvasser. He also formerly worked as a clerk/traveller for a tea firm, and many of the Whitechapel Murders were in the vicinity of tea warehouses. So he probably knew the area as well as he knew Kennington, though the Elephant might have been far less familiar. Theres some evidence that his family had him committed to a private asylum for a year or two in 1889 explaining his absence. And its been said they suspected he was the murderer even then.

I quite like the theory as it combines the lone loon theory with the masonic conspiracy theory. Although Supt Charles Cutbush wasn't his real uncle, as many claimed at the time there is genealogical evidence they were both from the wealthy Cutbush family of Maidstone (whose Cutbush Trust once owned a lot of South London), they also seem to have been Masons, as was the police inspector. Good reason to hush it all up, and for Macnaughten to foo foo the newspaper claims and propose 3 other candidates who have distracted researchers ever since.

Case closed I'd say....

Well after going into the details of this case with some of the writers in this field, I'd have to conclude this a mystery finally solved...

It'll probably all get very boring now.

For the record

Cutbush matched the witness descriptions perfectly
He was working in Whitechapel or Minories at the times of the murders
Was sacked from one job for trying to murder a colleague
Was sacked from others for bad time keeping due to being up all night
His relatives said he left the house at night and visited the east end, returning covered in mud and possibly blood
He worked for Tea Companies, probably incl Kealey and Tonge which had premises or shops selling their product at 4 of the 5 classic murders
He once tried to slash the throat of his mother, aunt and a servant
He developed a paranoid psychosis and behaved schizophrenically
He created his own pornography from collages and produced images of disembowelled women from the medical text books he studied
He presented himself as a 'medical man'
He was a prostitute hater and religious fanatic
Bought a knife in the Minories like Jack used, with 7 stars on it (linked to the verse of the Book of Revelation acc to some)
He appears to have been put in a private hospital by his family in 1889, or
just after last murder
He was in remission in 1891 and on the street again, attacking women (though more like the London Monster than JTR)
He became increasingly violent and put under supervision in a workhouse
He escapes and on run denies that he is the Ripper to witnesses
On capture he becomes violent and is committed to Broadmoor
Where he's classified as a dangerous psychotic
The staff believe he was JTR, but not only does he deny it initially he denies any knowledge of Whitechapel (despite working there for nearly a year), but at the height of his psychosis he confesses to being JTR

Enough circumstantial evidence?

Dunno, I'll wait to read the book, the definitive, final, for-sure identifying-the-ripper book, and then place it on the shelf with all the others. ;)

escargot1 said:
Dunno, I'll wait to read the book, the definitive, final, for-sure identifying-the-ripper book, and then place it on the shelf with all the others. ;)
Even if a signed confession with photos and an early spool of William Friese-Green's chronophotographic film of the events turned up, this is one of those Fortean topics which would just keep going! :)

Yup. Only then it'd be on the Conspiracy section.

escargot1 said:

Yeah. The two thin ones balance out the big fat one :lol:

And the Ripper DVDs. Don't forget the Ripper DVDs. :lol:

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mike Covell and I am a Ripperologist based in Kingston upon Hull. I have read Fortean Times for years, and been a member of the message board for a while but rarely find time to post, although I have been following this thread for a while.

I have written articles that have been published, lectured at schools, history centres, heritage centres, and more recently at the 2010 Jack the Ripper Conference in London’s East End. I have a blog, that is well received and in the past four years have acted as a consultant and contributor to several authors and documentary makers. I am currently a writer for Ripperologist that features my round up of Ripper related blogs and message boards. I have also helped researchers with other genealogical searches and my research has appeared in print in several books, magazines, on radio shows, tv shows, and podcasts.

I don’t favour a particular suspect, although I do research several that have links to Hull, and continue to supply my findings to jtrforums.com, where I am also a Moderator.

Below is a list of the books that I have used in the research I have done, some are really useful, some are not so, but all feature various aspects of the case.

American Murders of Jack the Ripper, R. Michael Gordon, Lyons Press, 2005.
Beaver Book of Horror, The, Daniel Farson, Beaver Books, 2007.
Bell Tower, The, Robert Graysmith, Regnery, 1999.
By Ear and Eyes, Karyo Magellan, Longshot Publishing, 2005.
Clarence, Was He Jack the Ripper?, Michael Harrison, Drake Publishers, 1972.
Complete History of Jack the Ripper, The, Philip Sugden, Robinson Publishing, 2002.
Complete Jack the Ripper, The, Donald Rumbelow, Penguin Books, 1988.
Complete Jack the Ripper, The, Donald Rumbelow, Penguin Books, 2004.
Criminals and Crime, Sir Robert Anderson, Nisbet, 1907
Crimes and Times of Jack the Ripper, The, Tom Cullen, Fontana, 1973.
Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper, Martin Fido, George Weidenfield and Nicholson Ltd, 1987.
Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper, Martin Fido, Orion Books, 1993.
Crimes of Jack the Ripper, The, Paul Roland, Arcturus Publishing, 2006.
Diary of Jack the Ripper, The, Shirley Harrison, Hyperion Publishing, 1993.
Diary of Jack the Ripper, The, Shirley Harrison, Hyperion Publishing, 1994.
Diary of Jack the Ripper, The, Shirley Harrison, Blake Publishing, 1998.
E1- A Journey Through Whitechapel and Spitalfields, John G. Bennett, Five Leaves Publishing, 2009.
Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders, Karen Trenouth, Author House, 2006.
Fame or Infamy, Steve Powell, Blurb, 2010
First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, The, Robert J. McLaughlin, Zwerghaus Books, 2005.
Fox and the Flies, The, Charles Van Onselen, Vintage, 2008.
From Hell- The Jack the Ripper Mystery, Bob Hinton, Old Bakehouse Publications, 1998.
Identity of Jack the Ripper, The, Donald McCormick, Arrow Books, 1970.
In the Footsteps of the Whitechapel Murders, John F. Plimmer, The Book Guild, 1998.
Jack the Ripper, Andrew Cook, Amberley, 2009.
Jack the Ripper, Daniel Farson, Sphere, 1973.
Jack the Ripper, John Mcllwain, Pitkin Guides, Jarrold Publishing.
Jack the Ripper, Mark Whitehead and Miriam Rivett, Pocket Essentials, 2001.
Jack the Ripper, Mark Whitehead and Miriam Rivett, Pocket Essentials, 2006.
Jack the Ripper, Susan McNicoll, Altitude Publishing, 2005.
Jack the Ripper- A Cast of Thousands, Chris Scott, Apropos Books, 2004.
Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, Headline Book Publishing, 1992.
Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, Headline Book Publishing, 1994.
Jack the Ripper- An Encyclopedia, John J. Eddleston, Metro Publishing, 2002.
Jack the Ripper- Anatomy of a Myth, William Beadle, Wat Tyler Books, 1995.
Jack the Ripper- And the East End, Alex Werner, Chatto and Windus, 2008.
Jack the Ripper- And the Irish Press, Alan Sharp, Ashfield Press, 2005.
Jack the Ripper- And the London Press, Lewis Perry Curtis, Yale University, 2001.
Jack the Ripper- Black Magic Rituals, Ivor Edwards, John Blake Publishing, 2003.
Jack the Ripper- British Intelligence Agent, Tom Slemen and Keith Andrews, Bluecoat Press, 2010.
Jack the Ripper- Casebook, Richard Jones, Andre Deutsch, 2008.
Jack the Ripper- Crime Archive, Val Horsler, National Archives, 2007.
Jack the Ripper- End of a Legend, Calum Reuben Knight, Athena Press, 2005.
Jack the Ripper- His Life and Crimes in Popular Entertainment, Gary Colville and Patrick Lucanio, McFarland, 2009.
Jack the Ripper- Infamous Serial Killer, Filiquarian Publications, 2008.
Jack the Ripper- In Fact and Fiction, Robin Odell, Mandrake Publishing, 2009.
Jack the Ripper- Letters from Hell, Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, Sutton Publishing, 2004.
Jack the Ripper- Light Hearted Friend, Richard Wallace, Gemini Press, 1997.
Jack the Ripper- Location Photographs, The, Philip Hutchinson, Amberley Publishing, 2009.
Jack the Ripper- Media, Culture, History, Alexandra Warwick and Martin Willis, Manchester University Press, 2007.
Jack the Ripper- One Hundred Years of Mystery, Peter Underwood, Blandford Press, 1987.
Jack the Ripper- Person or Persons Unknown, Gary Wroe, E-Book, 2002.
Jack the Ripper- Quest for a Killer, M. J. Trow, Wharncliffe True Crime, 2009.
Jack the Ripper- Revealed and Revisited, John Wilding, Express Newspapers, 2006.
Jack the Ripper- Revealed at Last, Terry Weston, Swordworks Books, 2010.
Jack the Ripper- Scotland Yard Investigates, Stewart P. Evans and Donald Rumbelow, Sutton Publishing, 2006.
Jack the Ripper- Summing up and Verdict, Colin Wilson and Robin Odell, Corgi Books, 1992.
Jack the Ripper- The 21st Century Investigation, Trevor Marriott, John Blake Publishing, 2005.
Jack the Ripper- The 21st Century Investigation, Trevor Marriott, John Blake Publishing, 2007.
Jack the Ripper- The American Connection, Shirley Harrison, Blake Publishing, 2003.
Jack the Ripper- The Bloody Truth, Melvin Harris, Columbus Books, 1987.
Jack the Ripper- The Celebrity Suspects, Mike Holgate, History Press, 2008.
Jack the Ripper- The Definitive History, Paul Begg, Pearson Education Limited, 2004.
Jack the Ripper- The Facts, Paul Begg, Robson Books, 2006.
Jack the Ripper- The Final Chapter, Paul H. Feldman, Virgin Books, 2002.
Jack the Ripper- The Final Chapter, Paul H. Feldman, Virgin Books, 2007.
Jack the Ripper- The Final Solution, Stephen Knight, Harper Collins, 1994.
Jack the Ripper- The Murders and the Movies, Denis Meikle, Reynolds and Hearn Ltd, 2002.
Jack the Ripper- The Mystery Solved, Paul Harrison, Robert Hale, 1993.
Jack the Ripper- The Satanic Team, Karen Trenouth, Author House, 2007.
Jack the Ripper- The Simple Truth, Bruce Paley, Headline Publishing, 1996.
Jack the Ripper- The Uncensored Facts, Paul Begg, Robson Books, 1989.
Jack the Ripper, The Whitechapel Murderer, Terry Lynch, Wordsworth Editions, 2008.
Jack the Ripper- Unmasked, William Beadle, John Blake Publishing, 2009.
Jack the Ripper- Walk, The, Paul Garner, Louis London Walks, 2002.
Jack the Ripper- Whitechapel Murders, The, Kevin O’Donnell, Andy and Sue Parlour, Ten Bells Publishing, 1997.
Last Victim, The, Anne E. Graham and Carol Emmas, Headline Publishing, 1998.
Lighter Side of My Official Life, The, Sir Robert Anderson, Hodder and Stoughton, 1910.
Lodger- Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper, The, Stewart P. Evans and Paul Gainey, Century Publishing, 1995.
London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now, The, Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson, Breedon Books, 2007.
London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now, The, 2nd Edition, Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson, Breedon Books, 2009.
Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, The, Maxim Jakubowski and Nathan Braund, Constable and Robinson, 1999.
Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, The, Maxim Jakubowski and Nathan Braund, Castle Books, 2005.
Man that Hunted Jack the Ripper, The, Nicholas Connell and Stewart P. Evans, Amberley, 2009.
Many Faces of Jack the Ripper, The, M. J. Trow, Summersdale Publishing, 1997.
Murder and Madness- The Secret Life of Jack the Ripper, David Abrahamsen M.D., F.A.C.Pn., Avon Books, 1993.
Mystery of Jack the Ripper, The, Leonard Matters, Arrow Books, 1964.
News from Whitechapel, The, Alexander Chisholm, Christopher Michael DiGrazia, Dave Yost, McFarland And Co, 2002.
Portrait of a Serial Killer-Jack the Ripper-Case Closed, Patricia Cornwell, Little Brown, 2002.
Portrait of a Serial Killer-Jack the Ripper-Case Closed, Patricia Cornwell, Time Warner, 2003.
Portrait of a Serial Killer-Jack the Ripper-Case Closed, Patricia Cornwell, Berkley International Edition, 2003.
Poison Murders of Jack the Ripper, The, R. Michael Gordon, McFarland and Company Inc, 2008.
Prince Jack- The True Story of Jack the Ripper, Frank Spiering, Jove Books, 1980.
Public Reactions to Jack the Ripper, Stephen P. Ryder (Ed) Inklings Press, 2006.
Ripper and the Royals, The, Melvyn Fairclough, Duckbacks, 2002.
Ripper Code, The, Thomas Toughill, Sutton Publishing, 2008.
Ripper File, The, Elwyn Jones and John Lloyd, Futura Publications, 1975.
Ripper File, The, Melvin Harris, W. H. Allen and Co., 1989.
Ripper in Ramsgate, The, Christopher Scott, Michaels Bookshop, 2008.
Ripper Legacy, The, Martin Howells and Keith Skinner, Sphere Books Ltd, 1988.
Ripper Suspect, D. J. Leighton, Sutton Publishing, 2006.
Ripperology, Paul Begg (Ed) Barnes and Noble, 2007.
Ripperology, Robin Odell, Kent State University Press, 2006.
Saucy Jack- The Elusive Ripper, Paul Woods and Gavin Baddeley, Ian Allan Publishing, 2009.
Sickert and the Ripper Crimes, Jean Overton Fuller, Mandrake Publishing, 2003
Search For Jack the Ripper- A Psychic Investigation, Pamela Ball, Midpoint Press, 2006.
Secret of Prisoner 1167- Was this man Jack the Ripper?, James Tully, Robinson Publishing, 1998.
The Prince, His Tutor, and the Ripper, Deborah McDonald, McFarland and Company Inc. 2007.
The Trial of Jack the Ripper, Euan Macpherson, Mainstream Publishing, 2005.
Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook, The, Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, Robinson Publishing, 2001.
Uncle Jack, Tony Williams and Humphrey Price, Orion Books, 2006.
Uncovering Jack the Ripper’s London, Richard Jones, New Holland, 2007.
Victims of Jack the Ripper, The, Neal Stubbings Sheldon, Inklings Press, 2007.
Whitechapel Murders Solved, The, John Plimmer, House of Stratus, 2003.
Will the Real jack the Ripper, Arthur Douglas, Countryside Publications, 1979.

I have done quiet a bit of research on Frederick Bailey Deeming who features in the following,

Books featuring Frederick Bailey Deeming
Albany's Brush with a Mass Murderer: A Man of Many Faces - Frederick Bailey Deeming, Beth Martin, Albany, WA, Albany Historical Society Inc., 1998.
Australian Murderers of Children: Max Stuart, Bevan Spencer Von Einem, Bega Schoolgirl Murders, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Martin Bryant, Books LLC, 2010.
Biography of Frederick Bailey Deeming, Anon, William E. G. Shackle and J. G. Sutton, Port Melbourne, 1892.
'Canvas and Wax: Images of Information in Australian Panoramas and Waxworks, with particular reference to Melbourne 1849-1920', Mimi Colligan, PhD thesis, Department of History, Monash University, 1987.
Criminal Man, Cesare Lombroso, translated and with a new introduction by Mary Gibson and Nicole Hahn Rafter, with translation assistance from Mark Seymour, Durham, NC, Duke University Press, 2006.
Criminal of the Century, The, Melbourne, Rachel Weaver, Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2006.
Criminal of the Century, The, Australian Mining Standard Office, Sydney, 1892.
'Damnable Deeming Esquire', in Crimes that Shocked Australia, Alan Sharpe, Milson's Point, NSW, Currawong Press, 1982, pp. 100-107.
Demon Killer, The, Frank Clune, Reigate Publishing Co.
Executed Australian People: Ned Kelly, Breaker Morant, Ronald Ryan, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Colin Campbell Ross, Books LLC, 2010.
Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths in Hull, David Goodman, Wharncliffe Books, 2005.
'Frederick Bailey Deeming (1853-1892)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 8, Barry O. Jones, Melbourne University Press, 1981, pp. 268-269.
Groaning Gallows, The, A. A. Clarke, Arton Books, 1994.
Hanged in Melbourne, They, Michael Lawrence, Swell Productions, 1970
History of Two Notable Crimes, The, Walker May and Co, Melbourne, 1892.
Kingston upon Hull, Murder and Crime Series, Douglas Wynn, Tempus Publishing, 2008.
Life of Deeming, Murderer of Women and Children, The, John F. Williams, Melbourne, 1892.
London Companion, The, Jo Swinnerton, Robson Books, 2004.
Mismeasure of Man, The, Ringwood, Stephen Jay Gould, Vic., Penguin, 1996, p. 153.
Most Unique Ruffian: The Trial of F. B. Deeming, A, J. S. O'Sullivan, Melbourne, 1892; Melbourne, F. W. Cheshire, 1968.
Murders of the Black Museum, Gordon Honeycombe, Hutchinson and Co, 1982.
People Convicted of Murder by Victoria (Australia): Ned Kelly, Ronald Ryan, Peter Dupas, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Robert Farquhar son, Books LLC, 2010.
People Executed by Victoria (Australia): Ned Kelly, Ronald Ryan, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Colin Campbell Ross, Arnold Sodeman, Jean Lee, Books LLC, 2010.
People from Ashby de La Zouch: John Bainbridge, Joseph Hall, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Russell Hoult, Rosemary Harris, Francis Hastings, Books LLC, 2010.
People of Perth, The, Thomas Stannage, Perth City Council, Perth, 1979.
Police in Victoria 1836- 1980, Victoria Police Management Services Bureau, Victoria Police Force, Melbourne, 1980.
Prisoners Who Died in Victoria (Australia) Detention: People Executed by Victoria (Australia), Ned Kelly, Ronald Ryan, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Books LLC, 2010.
Prisoners Sentenced to Death by Victoria (Australia): People Executed by Victoria, Ned Kelly, Ronald Ryan, Frederick Bailey Deeming, Books LLC, 2010.
Policeman of Hull, A. A. Clarke, Hutton Press, 1992
Scarlet Thread: Australia's Jack the Ripper, A True Crime Story, The, Maurice Gurvich and Christopher Wray, Fairfax Books, 2007.
Studies in Australian Crime, John D. Fitzgerald, Cornstalk Publishing Co, Sydney, 1924, 2nd Series.
True Crime Diary, James Bland, Time Warner, 1992.
World's Most Bizarre Murders, The, James Marrison, John Blake Publishing, 2008.
World's Most Bizarre Murders, The, James Marrison, John Blake Publishing, 2010.
'You Don't Know Jack', Kathryn H. Ferguson, originally published in Helen Addison-Smith, An Nguyen and Denise Tallis (eds), Backburning: Journal of Australian Studies, no. 84, Perth, API Network, 2005, pp. 53-62.

Penny Dreadful’s on Deeming
Biography of Frederick Bayley Deeming: A Romance of Crime, Printed for the proprietors and publishers, William E.G. Shackle and J.G. Sutton, by the Port Melbourne Tribune Printing and Publishing Compy., Limited, [1892].
The Complete History of the Windsor Tragedy, Melbourne, Mason, Firth & Mcutcheon, 1892.
The Criminal of the Century: A Complete History of the Career of Frederick Baily Deeming, alias Albert Williams, alias Baron Swanston ...: The Perpetrator of the Windsor and Rainhill Murders, Sydney, Australian Mining Standard Office, 1892.
Frank Clune, The Demon Killer: The Career of Deeming, Satanic Murderer, Sydney, Invincible Press, [1948].
The History of a Series of Great Crimes on Two Continents, Adelaide, Frearson & Brother, 1892.
The History of a Series of Great Crimes on Two Continents, second edition, Adelaide, Frearson's Printing House, 1892.
The History of a Series of Great Crimes on Two Continents, third edition, Adelaide, Frearson & Brother, 1892.
The Life of Deeming: The Murderer of Women and Children, Melbourne, Williams, 1892.
The Windsor and Rainhill Murders, Melbourne, Walker May & Co., 1892.

And research into Robert D’Onston Stephenson, who has featured in the following,

Books featuring Robert D’Onston Stephenson, as the aforementioned or Roslyn Donston
A-Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers, The, Harold Schechter, David Everitt, 2006.
Bedside book of Murder, Richard and Molly Whittington Egan, David and Charles Publishing, 1988.
BFI Companion to Crime, The,
Cases that haunt us, The, John Douglas and Mark Olshaker, Pocket Books, 2002.
Cheeky Guide to Brighton, The, Tim Bick and Dr. David Bramwell, Cheeky Guides, 2009.
Conspiracy Files, David Southwell and Sean Twist, Sevenoaks Publishing, 2004.
Dark Dreams, Roy Hazelwood and Stephen G. Michaud, St Martins Paperbacks, 2002.
Does your name add up to 666?, David Solamen, Xulon Press, 2004.
Encyclopedia of Serial Killers, Brian Lane and Wilfred Gregg, Berkley Books, 1995.
Encyclopedia of Serial Killers, Nigel Blundell
Free Energy Pioneer: John Keely, Theo Paijmans, Adventures Unlimited Press, 2004.
History of British Serial Killing, Martin Fido, Carlton Books, 2003.
Jack the Ripper - Black Magic Rituals, Ivor Edwards, Penny Publishing, 2001.
Jack the Ripper - Black Magic Rituals, Ivor Edwards, John Blake Publishing, 2003.
Magical Dilemma of Victor Neuburg, The, Jean Overton Fuller, Mandrake Publishing, 1990.
Maiden Tribute- A Life of W.T. Stead, Grace Eckley, 2007, Xlibris Corporation.
Mammoth Book of the History of Murder, Colin Wilson,
Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved, Colin and Damon Wilson, Robinson, 2000.
Masterpieces of Murder, Jonathan Goodman, Robinson Publishing, 1992.
Murderer’s “Who’s Who.” J.H.H. Gaute and Robin Odell, Pan Books, 1983.
Mystical Vampire: The Life and Works of Mabel Collins, Kim Farnell, Mandrake Publishing, 2005.
Profiling Violent Crimes, Ronald M. Holmes and Stephen T. Holmes, Sage Publications, 2002.
Psychic Detectives, Jenny Randles and Peter Hough, Silverdale Books, 2002.
Serial Killer Investigations, Colin Wilson, Summersdale, 2007.
Serial Killers, William Murray, Canary Press, 2007.
True Crime Giants, Jonathan Goodman, Parragon Books, 1999.
True Face of Jack the Ripper, The, Melvin Harris, Brockhampton Press, 1994.
True Face of Jack the Ripper, The, Melvin Harris, Michael O’Mara Books, 1995.
Ripper File, The, Melvin Harris, W.H. Allen, 1988.
World’s Greatest Mysteries, The, Chancellor Press, 2003
World’s Greatest Serial Killers, The, Nigel Cawthorne, Octopus Publishing, 2000.
World’s Most Mysterious Murders, Lionel and Patricia Fanthorpe, 2003.

Books featuring Robert D’Onston Stephenson, as Tautriadelta
Encyclopaedia of Occultism and Parapsychology, Leslie Shepard, Lewis Spence, and Nandor Fodor,
Haunted Mind, The, A Psychoanalyst Look at the Supernatural, Nandor Fodor, Helix Press, 1963.
History of Experimental Spiritualism, A, Cesare Baudi Di Vesme, Rider and Co, 1931.
Mammoth Book of the History of Murder, The, Colin Wilson and Damon Wilson.
My First Sixty Years, Maud Ashley Warrender, Cassell and Company, 1933.
Philosophy of a Long Life, A, Jean Finot, Kessinger Publications, 2006.
Rosicrucian Notebook, A, The Secret Sciences Used By Members of the Order, Willy Shrodter, 1992.
Theosophist - May July 1911- Sept 1911, Annie Wood Besant, Kessinger Publishing,
True Tales of British India and the Princely States, Michael Wise, 1993.

Books featuring “Dead or Alive”
Borderland, A Casebook of True Supernatural Stories, W.T. Stead, University Books, 1970
Ghosts and Legends of Yorkshire, Terence W Whitaker, Granada Publishing, 1983.
Great Hull Stories, Len Markham, Fort Publishing, 2003.
Investigating the Unexplained, Melvin Harris, Prometheus Books, 1986.
Man’s Survival After Death Vol 1, Rev. Charles Tweedale, Psychic Book Club, 1909.
Phantasms of the Dead or True Ghost Stories, Hereward Carrington, American Universities Publishing, 1920.
Review of Reviews 1892. (New Year's Extra Number), William T. Stead (Ed), 1892.
Sorry You’ve Been Duped, Melvin Harris, George Weidenfield and Nicholson Ltd. 1986.

Books by Robert D’Onston Stephenson under the pen name Roslyn D’Onston
The Patristic Gospels: An English Version of the Holy Gospels as they Existed in the Second Century, Roslyn D’Onston, Grant Richards, 1904.
The Patristic Gospels: An English Version of the Holy Gospels as they Existed in the Second Century, Roslyn D’Onston, Biblio Bazaar, 2009

Articles by Robert D’Onston Stephenson under various pen names.
“Who is the Whitechapel Demon? (By One Who Thinks He Knows)” Pall Mall Gazette, December 1st 1888, No signature by author.
“The Real Origin of “SHE” (By One Who Knew Her)” Pall Mall Gazette, January 3rd 1889, Signed under the pen name R.D.
“What I Know of Obeeyahism, By the Author of the Original “SHE” Pall Mall Gazette, February 15th 1889, Signed Roslyn D’Onston
“African Magic” Lucifer, November 1890, Signed under the pen name Tautriadelta.
“Dead or Alive” Review of Reviews, New Year’s Extra Number, 1892,
“A Modern Magician” Borderland, April 1896, Signed under the pen name Tautriadelta.
“Elementals” Borderland, July 1896.

Thats a lot of books, isnt it?

I dont favour this cutbush guy, hes too irrational

Cutbush is still a really popular suspect and I am aware of several Ripperologists who have viewed the recently released files on his time in prison.

Just what should we make of this?

Police make bizarre legal battle to keep Jack the Ripper files secret so Victorian sources keep their 'confidentiality'

he Met Police is fighting a legal battle to keep files detailing the investigation into the notorious Jack the Ripper case secret - to maintain confidentiality for Victorian 'supergrasses'.

The documents are said to include four new suspects for the serial killings which terrorised Whitechapel in 1888 and have become one of the world's most infamous unsolved cases.

The historic ledgers have 36,000 entries detailing police interaction with informants between 1888 to 1912.

However, Scotland Yard reportedly believes disclosing the names could hinder recruiting and gathering information from modern informants, affecting terrorism investigations - and even lead to the Victorians' relatives being attacked.

Author and former police officer, Trevor Marriott, has tried for three years to see uncensored versions of the documents.

He has previously applied under the Freedom of Information Act and, when that was refused, he appealed to the Information Commissioner, which also rejected his attempt.

He has now appealed to the Information Tribunal, which is expected to release its decision later this year.
Legal: Former murder squad detective Trevor Marriot has been fighting a battle to see the documents

Legal: Former murder squad detective Trevor Marriot has been fighting a battle to see the documents

Mr Marriott, who has written two previous books on the case, told the Sunday Mirror: 'These files should be made public at once. They are some of the most interesting records on the case I've come across.

'Some of the informants died more than 100 years ago, so to censor the documents is absurd.'

He told the Sunday Telegraph he thought it could be the 'very last chance' to solve the case, as the files contained at least four new suspects and other evidence.

The three day hearing - part of a legal battle which has so far cost the taxpayer thousands of pounds - was last week told by a detective inspector, known as D, that disclosing the files could deter informants from helping the police.

Speaking from behind a screen, the Sunday Telegraph reported that the officer - who works in intelligence gathering - said: 'Confidence in the system is maintaining their safety, regardless of age.'

The newspaper also said that Det Supt Julian McKinney said that any release would make officers less able to prevent terrorist attacks and organised crime: 'Regardless of the time, regardless of whether they are dead, they should never be disclosed.

'They come to us only when they have the confidence in our system that their identity will not be disclosed.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1MU9OnBNk

This seems a bit strange because the context might suggest that it's only the Ripper stuff that this is applied to. If it's the result of a universal ban on the disclosure of evidence from informants - which I suspect it is - then it doesn't really seem that odd.

Is this Jack the Ripper? Scotland Yard's Chief Inspector Frederick Abberline named as serial killer in new investigation
- Spanish handwriting expert claims to solve 120-year-old murder mystery
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:24 AM on 6th August 2011

Suspects have ranged from a member of Royal Family to a local butcher – but it is now claimed that Jack the Ripper was the very detective who led the hunt for the killer. :shock:

Chief Inspector Frederick Abberline of Scotland Yard was the man who murdered and mutilated at least five women in Victorian East London – at least according to Spanish writer Jose Luis Abad, 84.

He makes the claim in his book Jack the Ripper: The Most Intelligent Murderer in History, published in Spain this week.
Mr Abad is a handwriting expert and has compared Abberline’s writing with that in the Ripper’s diary – which surfaced in Liverpool in 1992.
Mr Abad, says: ‘I have no doubt Abberline was the Ripper. Handwriting does not lie.’

The diary was attributed to a Liverpool cotton dealer called James Maybrick – whom others have identified as the Ripper.
But many experts say the diary is a hoax. Mr Abad believes it is real, but that the author was Abberline, not Maybrick.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1UFHYGgRq

And the twist at the end is... Inspector Abberline is a ghost!

Back