• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jesus: Truth Or Myth?

Hidden Things

I rather blame a systematic stripping away of education, most especially in things allegorical and abstract, symbolic and metaphysical. We no longer look for encodings or meanings and have been taught to mistake the map for the terrain.

Worse, our imagination has been hijacked by those bright dancing nothings we call TV and movies. Hooked by the humanoid primate's penchant for voyeurism, we've been seduced into letting Hollywood imagine for us. Post-literacy means not being forced to read; we just wait for the movie.

And so a new generation of literalists shoves aside the few of us left who see the allegorical and mythic nature of this material, and at times demands our lynching.

Once again a Dark Ages is upon us, much of it intentionally induced to make us easier to manage in blocs.

Re: Hidden Things

FraterLibre said:
Once again a Dark Ages is upon us, much of it intentionally induced to make us easier to manage in blocs.

Like...say... Organised Religion?

Re: Re: Continued Pragmatism

TMS said:
The thing that irks me is the notion that people in antiquity were unintelligent. Fundies cite the good book as historical fact, incontravertible and 100% accurate. The feeding of the 5000 is a good example. Modern Christians see a miracle, but there is compelling reasons to why people 1700+ years ago may have realised this story is an allegory...
Indeed. For some time now I've been hunting for a specific reference that I once glanced over in my books so that I could make that very point about the intelligence of the founders of Xtianity: an early bishop of -IIRC- Alexandria, a man who -again IIRC- eventually became one of the early Popes, publishing some sort of proclamation -can't recall the correct term- urging the priests and other bishops of the day to beware of "the flock" being allowed to interpret scripture literally, which was apparently a growing problem at the time; he expressed himself in terms that gave the distinct feeling that he personally regarded Biblical Literalism as a form of heresy, if I remember correctly. He was particularly scathing about those who interpreted the OT literally -that much I have clear recollection of.

(Sorry 'bout the vagueness: I've been biting my tongue about this for months because I can't remember the details clearly and the reference wasn't in any of the books I thought I'd read it in. Anyone else have any idea who the reference was to? It's one of those 'tip-of-my-tongue' things and it's annoying the bejeezus outta me!)

Re: Re: Re: Continued Pragmatism

Anyone else have any idea who the reference was to? It's one of those 'tip-of-my-tongue' things and it's annoying the bejeezus outta me!)

I've been reading "A Short history of Byzantium", by John Julius Norwich (ISBN: 0-140-25960-0), and he goes into wonderful detail about each of the Caesars / Augustis reigns and also the movers and shakers of the ancient world.

It wasn't Athanasius, one of the clerics that attended the council of Nicae, was it? His boss, Bishop Alexander of Alexandria died in 328 and Athanasius got the job from Constantine. Interestingly it says that he has been wrongly attributed with the Athanasian Creed.

Other bishops around that time were Arius (had a big following in the East), and Bishop Eusebius of Nicomedia.

Moving back to what i said about Constantine's religious tolerance in a previous thread, I made an error by omission:

Whilst the law stated that religious freedom was allowed, worship of the non state-sponsored religion of the time had to be carried out in private homes, away from public places. Between 331-334 Constantine closed all the pagan temples in the empire.

Constantine died in 337, survived by 5 Caesars (3 of which were his sons). His skill for names was legendary, but not as legendary as his vanity. Sons were (in order of seniority): Constantine II, Constantius and Constans.

His funeral, a sumptuous affair, culminated in him being placed in the Church of the Holy Apostles. On either side of his golden sarcophagus were statues of the 12 apostles, 6 to a side.

PS: Sorry Zygon, no offence meant:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Continued Pragmatism

TMS said:
I'm "doing a Zygon" now, because i can't remember the author's name...
Ooh ta very much. :(

It wasn't Athanasius, one of the clerics that attended the council of Nicae, was it?

The period's right, anyway, so far as I can recall, but the name rings no bells. (It was a reference I spotted while reading up on something else, thought "Oh! That's intersting, must come back to it...", but as I say I haven't been able to find it again. The Alexandria connection's tentative too; all I can recall clearly was the import of what he said and that he was an important early Xtian Bishop in Egypt.) Def. wasn't Arius.

Remind me: the Athanasian Creed?

Oh, Ok then I'll try and dig out a few more names. Can you indicate the century he operated in (.ie: 4th, 5th later) so i can narrow my search down?

Athanasian Creed is a bit of a mouthful, certainly not like THE Creed:

It basically codifies the doctrines that were agreed at Nicae, and was also a tool to stop all the "is Jesus man or God?" arguments. These were the good old days when excommunication (a very extreme punishment to the church at the time) occurred at the drop of a hat for people still sticking to the essentially divisible nature of God/Spirit/Son.

Re: Re: Hidden Things

Originally posted by FraterLibre
------------------------------------------------------------------------

kiel said:
Like...say... Organised Religion?

Yes. That's what I meant.

I'm fascinated, too, by the idea that literalism was considered nearly a heresy; I'd agree. Hope memories improve and citations are found soon.

TMS said:
Oh, Ok then I'll try and dig out a few more names. Can you indicate the century he operated in (.ie: 4th, 5th later) so i can narrow my search down?
Nope. :)

If I could narrow it down to a single century I'd be able to work out where I most likely read it and then find the damn thing. :(

As for the 'Creed, well, ta -but I really only wanted a one-line summary. You know, kinda like "There's only one God, and even though The Trinity would appear to be 3 things it's actually all part of the same one thing," or whatever.

Been searching again, and so far Clement of Alexandria seems to be ringing the most bells (never a Pope, but if it was him I may easily have conflated him with Clement of Rome). Still can't find the specific reference, or anything that even vaguely resembles it online, so that's still only a tentative ID.

Which really tends to support my suspicion that it may have been as long ago as 1990 that I saw it, which means it would have been a library book... Needles in haystacks.

It is the East

It'll dawn on you when you stop trying so hard and just let it surface.

Well, I personally think if you are the sort of person who must have absolute, incontrovertible, can-be-duplicated-in-a-science-experiment proof, you will never find any satisfactory answers in any sort of religion. Nor will you ever be in love, or, in my opinion, live a very satisfying life.

To "sort of" believe in Jesus is to not believe. By definition, belief in Jesus as a Messiah, as the saviour of humanity, requires trust, of much the same sort as is required to be in love. Love, trust, faith, letting go of the need for absolute answers, and listening to your heart. That would enable (but not guarantee) a person's acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah.

lorddrakul said:
The council of Nicea was conveined to put this to rest once and for all, in 325CE. This threw out certain things, like the Gospel of Thomas, and included what we know today as the catholic bible.

It is my understanding that the Gospel of Thomas was left out of the Bible as we know it today because it was one of the gospels describing the acts or words of Jesus that lacks context for statements attributed to Jesus and much of it lacks any supporting documentation by the other books of the Bible. There's also the little issue of his name: Didymos Judas Thomas. Since some of the disciples had more than one name it was thought that it might be that "Thomas" and "Judas" were one and the same person, and having a book written (possibly) by Judas included in the Holy Bible was not very acceptable to some.

Most of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas contains tales of Jesus' childhood and early adulthood that have no other support from the other Gospels. None of the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, Luke, John or Paul have any of the same material so it was left out.

(Edited for clarity - that was pretty muddled the first time)

Over fifty gospels were excluded -- the majority eyewitness accounts of the Jesus who was the Essene. They couldn't risk having him be a mere man, a mere rabbi. Nor could they admit he was married and had kids, either. And so Mary Magdelene became not a rich woman and his wife, but instead a whore and hanger-on.

She's depicted in The Last Supper, you know

FraterLibre said:
And so Mary Magdelene became not a rich woman and his wife, but instead a whore and hanger-on.

She's depicted in The Last Supper, you know

In which Gospel? If you mean in paintings, well, heck they also show Jesus and the disciples sitting in chairs around a table. Jews of that era reclined to dine, a holdover from their cultural past of nomadic living. See Matthew 26:20, or Mark 14:18.
If they got the clothing wrong, and the furniture wrong, why trust whom the painters included as attendees?

Da Vinci's

Uh, not the point even vaguely, we're discussing, aren't we, symbolism?

As to which Gospel, take your pick. Easier, read The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels for starters.

It's not as rip-snorting as her superb The Origins of Satan, but then again, it has a bigger cast, lower budget, and fewer sfx. Sort of like the New Testicle.

Re: Re: Continued Pragmatism

Believe it or not, I've never even looked at this thread before today :). Anyway...
TMS said:
The bible has achieved its authority purely through entropic means. The older it gets, the thicker the sheen of veracity it has.

It's like saying that everything my grandad told me about his boyhood and wartime experiences were totally true - just because he's old.
The fact that he was an inveterate liar, who embellished shopping trips to Tesco Metro for his own pleasure, is beside the point...
Exactly the point I was dying to make as soon as I'd finished reading the thread - taking WWII as an analogy, what would happen if future historians excised all source materials regarding the conflict, bar four war films that paint the allies in the best possible light? A few generations on, society's entire knowledge of the conflict would based on "A Bridge Too Far", The Longest Day", "The Great Escape" and "The Sands of Iwo Jima" - four "documents" that give a completely biased version of events, have no truck with shades of grey, etc. Difficult to do now, I know, but over the course of a few hundred years previously the Church, which held sway over an illiterate population, most of whom wouldn't understand a word of Latin anyway, proceeded to interpret it just as they bloody well pleased with no fear of contradiction.

By the time we reach the present day, and the grey-scale is becoming noticed (and we're all free to discuss it without being burnt at the stake for heresy), the damage has long been done.
originally posted by FraterLibre
I rather blame a systematic stripping away of education, most especially in things allegorical and abstract, symbolic and metaphysical. We no longer look for encodings or meanings and have been taught to mistake the map for the terrain.
And of course the reason that the church was hell-bent on opposing formal education for anyone not entering a holy order. And it worked, for centuries. And you're dead right, FL: original thinking or insight is often penalised in educational pursuits :(.

By definition, belief in Jesus as a Messiah, as the saviour of humanity, requires trust, of much the same sort as is required to be in love. Love, trust, faith, letting go of the need for absolute answers, and listening to your heart. That would enable (but not guarantee) a person's acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah.

Firstly, I have absolute respect for anyone else's religious beliefs. That I may questions those beliefs is not for the purpose of disagreement, snide one-upmanship or nefarious sub-agendas.

With that in mind I would point out that the "trust and belief is all you need" school of thought is the primary tool in the Christian Church's kitbag, designed almost solely to stop at the source any questions they would rather you didn't ask.

I would not dispute that the message Jesus, as God or man, has been cited as preaching is probably the most benificent and tolerant of all religious doctrines.

Interestingly, after Constantine's death, the subsequent power struggle that followed left Julian (after a time) as the sole Emperor. Julian The Apostate had been schooled in Alexandria, spoke both Latin and Greek, was skilled in the Martial discliplines and had a way (at least at the beginning of his rule) of appealing to the masses. The only "flaw" in his character was that Julian was a dedicated Pagan. Nicknamed "The Butcher", owing to the number of sacrifices (of Bulls) he personally presided over, Julian was apalled that this Christian message of meekness, tolerance and "turning the other cheek" was undermining the Empire. He sought to redress this perceived lack of balance by re-opening all of the Pagan temples and hoping that within the fulness of time, Chrisitians and Pagans would be at each others throats.

To his suprise, this never happened, with Pagan and Christians living in concord cheek-by-jowl. Thusly, Julian started applying pressure to bring the Christians into check (nothing major, he precluded them from teaching certain subjects as their faith would mean they didn't believe in the doctrines of such teachings etc). Again, and to his increasing agitation, these measures appeared to have little effect. He was killed by a Persian lance in a battle two years after ascending the throne, the last true Pagan Emperor of Rome.

And my point? Well, one of the most well read, intelligent of all the Roman Emperors didn't believe the message that the Church had cobbled together in his lifetime. He literally "woke up and smelled what they were shovelling". I think that has a certain resonance today.

Lastly, I would point out that your first paragraph (which i have not included here), has a certain element of "ad hominem", if looked at from a formal logic point of view;)

Fallen Angel said:
Well, I personally think if you are the sort of person who must have absolute, incontrovertible, can-be-duplicated-in-a-science-experiment proof, you will never find any satisfactory answers in any sort of religion. Nor will you ever be in love, or, in my opinion, live a very satisfying life.

To "sort of" believe in Jesus is to not believe. By definition, belief in Jesus as a Messiah, as the saviour of humanity, requires trust, of much the same sort as is required to be in love. Love, trust, faith, letting go of the need for absolute answers, and listening to your heart. That would enable (but not guarantee) a person's acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah.
'Being in Love' is nothing more than a temporary chemical imbalance in the brain caused by exposure to pheremones. It wears off once you get acclimatized to whoever-it-is. (Note that the increased divorce rates in our culture are only partially explained by the increased acceptability of divorce. Another factor has been the increasing acceptability of 'being in love' as sufficient grounds -indeed, the only grounds- for marriage, where once people went in expecting the kind of shared hard slog that leads to mutual trust and faith.)

Trust is an essential element in all relationships, romantic or otherwise, and must be worked for: 'earned'. Faith that a relationship is right can't replace actually working at the relationship to make it work. Loving someone (as differentiated from 'being in love with someone') is something that grows out of trust earned and out of the effort put into a relationship by those involved in it: it is a two-way thing. But you know this and just got a bit carried away. I hope. :)

I've listened to my heart: all it ever says is bah-dud! bah-dud!, which tells me nothing and therefore isn't a lot of help or guidance. (OK, I did listen to it properly once before, and spent 6 years (at the time one full fourth of my life) besotted in an unrequited predicament that no doubt caused me to overlook the interest of any number of delightfully satisfying interludes. The heart is an empty void that can be filled with any old crap that comes along, and often is. Cynical old bugger me, but I'm generally a happy, optimistic sort with it. :D )

Higher Love

Your definition of chemical imbalance and pheromones describes only being in lust and has nothing to do with love, which is based on unconditional altruism, which no one has yet explained.

Re: Higher Love. Actually it's more like just the 'O' Grade

FraterLibre said:
Your definition of chemical imbalance and pheromones describes only being in lust and has nothing to do with love, which is based on unconditional altruism, which no one has yet explained.

You will note that I do draw a distinction between 'love' and 'being in love'. It is my experience (both personal and observed) that there is no discernable difference between 'being in lust' and 'being in love': it is exactly the same thing, simply given a different label so as to endow it with a sheen of respectability that allows young girls to chase guys without 'damaging their reputations' (as we old fogeys used to call it).

I deny that there is such a thing as 'love at first sight', but accept that there is 'lust at first sight' and 'falling in love (altho' it's really just lust) at first sight': furthermore, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's natural. All that frantic passion and so on helps us reproduce the species. And there's no reason why that period of 'lust masquerading as love' can't lead to something more profound in due time. The problems arise when we try to endow -or insist on endowing!- 'being in lust/love' with the same degree of profound meaning that rightly -IMO- should only be applied to the kind of 'love' that is earned. (It makes us lazy: when supposed 'love' comes so easily there's apparently little motivation to work at the relationship. Far simpler to just 'trade up'. :( ) Actual, genuine 'love', the sort that lasts and promotes mutual and personal and (even!) spiritual growth, takes time, patience and a lot of hard work and commitment. Things most people I've known just talk about having in their relationships, rather than actually having. They 'talk the talk' all the time, but if anyone in those relationships 'walks the walk' as well, they're usually the only one in the relationship doing it.

That 'unconditional altruism' you refer to is, in the context of relationships, usually part of the trust and faith that come from shared experience and earned respect. When it isn't, when, for example, it is one-sided (that was me, aged 18 to 25, and, to a milder extent, again when I was 26 to 30) it is nothing more than an over-emotional aberration brought on by whoever's pheremones, and an over-developed sense of the romantic gesture, or even of the minimum degree of respect due someone one cares about, on the part of the 'altruistic one'.

(OTOH, 'Unconditional Altruism' in the sense of people giving their all for strangers is something else again, and has been demonstrated by psychologists and game theory experts to be actually a winning survival strategy, and therefore neither genuinely 'altruistic' nor accurately described as 'unconditional'. :D )

Re: Da Vinci's

FraterLibre said:
Uh, not the point even vaguely, we're discussing, aren't we, symbolism?

Well, I accept that YOU are discussing symbolism, but I was actually considering the original question - was Jesus truly holy or a con artist.

But what I don't accept is that an artifact created by an artist ~1500 years after the purported events occurred would have a better or more accurate view of event than an account written by eyewitnesses. particularly as he painted it as an event with a (then) current cultural flavor. I do understand that there's no scientific, you-can-go-and-check-it-yourself-proof that Mark, Matthew, John and so forth wrote the Gospels attributed to them, but then again, how much of what we unquestioningly accept in life that really has that kind of proof? Many people believe in evolution, but evolution was not based on a all lot of fossils that ended up generating a theory. The theory, based on a very thin smattering of data, came first. Then scientists went out and found data to support it. And that data tends to be minimal and in some cases contradictory. That's what most people accept, without questioning, because someone wrote a good book that sounded right to them. However, believing in the Bible which has as least as good supporting evidence is considered unacceptable by those same "scientific" thinkers, mostly because it contains accounts of "supernatural events". As forteans, I would think that the supernatural events (stopping a storm with a word, raising the dead, miraculous cures et cetera) would make the Bible and the truth or untruth of the story therein more interesting, not less so. And if you can read any book and say "yes, that sounds right to me, I accept and believe that" why is it unacceptable to some that people do the same with the Bible?

I think the problem most people have is actually with organized religions and the rituals, trappings and dogma that gets created which blurs the central concept. Also, many organized religions focus on messages like "we have the one and only answer" and refuse to accept that their interpretations of some of the contraditions of the Bible may be wrong. Some, I think, are beyond our understanding. Lay people can accept that they won't really understand particle physics without years of study, or history, or an ancient language, but expect to understand the Bible on a cursory reading, and blame the Bible, not themselves.

Sorry if I rambled.

P.S. There are only 13 figures in "The Last Supper"...whom was da Vinci supposed to have left out so as to include Mary M?

(Edited for one clarity issue, two spelling oopses and to add the PS)

Zygon

The love I have for my Son, Brothers, Mother, Father has nothing to do with lust and it is unconditional, i can't think of any circumstance which would lead me to change that. It is the same love I have for my Wife, yet I can assure you I do not lust after any of my family :D

Why do you think lust and love are the same?

Edward said:
Why do you think lust and love are the same?
I don't. I think 'being in love' and 'lust' are the same thing. There's a difference between 'loving someone' and 'being in love with someone'. A BIG difference. The former is the unconditional sort, while the latter lasts only as long as the passion holds out. Try and read what I posted rather than what you think I posted. >Sheesh!< :nonplus:

Re: Hidden Things

FraterLibre said:

There is a danger to this method, which can indeed open our eyes to the mystery and magic that exists in the world. Couched in the terms you use, we can end up seduced and blinded by the mystery we create, looking for hidden meanings and allegories. In more prosaic prose, we can end up making too much stew from one oyster.

I think if you can read the Bible without looking for symbolism, or inexplicable occurances with hidden meanings, you would still find more than enough mystery to entrance and astound you for the rest of your life.

I do question one thing: events that occurred in, let's say, 500 C.E. are as subject to misunderstanding due to lost text, miscopied accounts, or slanted reporting as is anything from 1 C.E. We can't say with accuracy that we KNOW what happened at that time because we don't KNOW (with utter certainty) that the documentation we have of that era is accurate. So by the time you get one person away from one's own self witnessing of an event, you are depending on opinion. And that's what it all comes down to, if you really admit it.

Then the questions are: Whose opinion do you trust? What do you believe in? Belief is all it comes down to no matter what. All the arguing, all the books, all the arm waving, wars, ethnic cleansing, Inquistions, holocausts, everything...it's all based on beliefs that people want to claim are facts. But we don't know for sure...although few people ever want to admit to that.

Word Glitch

I think it's a semantics ripple. I consider "being in love" to be altruistic and selfless but with a dollop of passion and, sure, some lust. However, it is not the equivalent of lust because sex isn't the goal. Rather, it's the happiness of the other, the beloved. One does all one can to ensure the beloved is happy in as selfless a manner as possible.

Now, yes, when in love, it's wonderful if the beloved returns it, or kisses us rather than turning her head, or even extends a hand and invites sexual intimacy -- but it wouldn't matter if she didn't.

Whereas with lust, fucking is all there is and once that happens the priapic urge is sated, or the nymphomanic, and that's that, burns off.

Loving someone is simply a longer-term way of being in love, I'd think.

Again, I do see the point and I think we're actually agreeing on all but terms, which renders it a semantic situation.

No big disagreement, in short.

Fallen Angel said:
I do question one thing: events that occurred in, let's say, 500 C.E. are as subject to misunderstanding due to lost text, miscopied accounts, or slanted reporting as is anything from 1 C.E. We can't say with accuracy that we KNOW what happened at that time because we don't KNOW (with utter certainty) that the documentation we have of that era is accurate. So by the time you get one person away from one's own self witnessing of an event, you are depending on opinion. And that's what it all comes down to, if you really admit it.
We can do archeology and see if we can find hard evidence to back up what has been written.

This in itself doesn't prove that the accounts are right or wrong, but it can provide points of correspondence that can indicate if what has been recorded is more or less likely to be true.

The problem with Jesus however, is that the usual rules don't seem to apply to him.

What I mean is, if that writer of 500 CE writes about an attack on a monastery in 300 CE, you can dig up the site of the monastery and see if there's evidence of an attack -charcoal, arrowheads, chainmail, etc. If these are found at the correct depth, the balance of probabilities would be that the writer of 500 CE is basically a fairly reliable source. If however it's discovered that the monastery wasn't even there before 400 CE, that writer's name becomes 'mud' and his work is deemed unreliable. And that's FAIR.

Meanwhile however, if that writer of 500 CE repeats a story from an earlier record about Jesus attending a big shindig at a big house at a certain location in 25 CE, and archeologists digging at that location discover that not only there are no signs of any broken pots, fisbones, post-holes -nor any of the other unmistakeable signs of habitation- at that site that date to the 1st Cent. CE, but also that the area was devoid of habitation between 400 BCE and 200 CE, that writer will still be deemed "a reliable source" and it will be automatically assumed that the archeologists simply haven't found the evidence yet.

This isn't a difference of interpretation or of opinion: it's a denial of common sense and it's a double standard. (And please let's not quibble about the fact that my examples are invented: they are merely illustrative of the problem I'm talking about, rather than the specifics of it.)

Then the questions are: Whose opinion do you trust? What do you believe in? Belief is all it comes down to no matter what. All the arguing, all the books, all the arm waving, wars, ethnic cleansing, Inquistions, holocausts, everything...it's all based on beliefs that people want to claim are facts. But we don't know for sure...although few people ever want to admit to that.

:eek!!!!: Omanowow, like I mean maa-a-a-n nothing is, like, REAL??? Ohwow. Like, COSMIC. :smokin: ( :) )

We can still balance probabilities on the basis of common sense and the evidence: some probabilities are always more probable than others! It is never a matter of simply taking anyone's word for anything (any more than it should be about disbelieving things simply because the conflict with what you want to believe), but rather of balancing information received against the evidence presented and common sense (whaddevadajimdandy that might be) to work out an estimation of how likely something is.

And if you don't want to take anyone's word for anything, you can always read up on it and then go and look at the evidence for yourself. Where history's concerned, that's the whole point of museums!! Read up on the event, then go to the museum and see how the evidence fits the record. If that's not good enough, read up on the subject and then see if you can get yourself on a dig and see why the evidence is interpreted the way it's interpreted: what factors govern that interpretation.

We can do archeology and find good evidence for events/cultures/the existance of specific people. However, do we find proof? No. My point is that what is found/read/preserved over time is rarely the whole picture and rarely from "disinterested bystanders" who would give an unbiased account of an event. Even the corraboration alternate accounts are not proof. So believing in or disbelieving in anything that is not personally experienced should take into account that "margin for error" or whatever you want to call it.

I find it interesting that you are willing to take as hard evidence for, let's say, an ancient text about speech by Cicero, if supporting alternate accounts that are of the same era and agree with the original documents are available. But you claim that

The problem with Jesus however, is that the usual rules don't seem to apply to him.

Why say that? The various gospels of the New Testament describe a series of events and statements by Jesus, accounts that differ from one another just about exactly what modern criminologist expect eyewitness accounts to differ from one another. Scholars have researched the books (I think they are called fornesic lexicographers or something like that) and the consensus is that the included books are indeed written by different people and apparently first-hand accounts. If that isn't supporting documentation I don't know what you'd call it. With regard to physical evidence of human habitations and the like, the middle east has been a cross roads, heavily inhabited at times, sparsely at others, and the site of environmental devastation courtesy of the followers of Mohammed (the only good tree is a date palm, but the rest of em down! to hell with the erosion problem) so it's been subject to a lot of post-event modification. It's the same as if you went to the former site of the monastery and discovered that it's been bulldozed in 1950 to build a Safeway. Could you then say conclusively that because there's no physical evidence, that 5 different accounts of the pillaging of the monastery were wrong?

I'm not going to quibble about your examples being made up but I'd would like to see one that is real. Or

Fallen Angel said:
Why say that? The various gospels of the New Testament describe a series of events and statements by Jesus, accounts that differ from one another just about exactly what modern criminologist expect eyewitness accounts to differ from one another. Scholars have researched the books (I think they are called fornesic lexicographers or something like that) and the consensus is that the included books are indeed written by different people and apparently first-hand accounts.
We seem to be reading different evaluations of the synoptic gospels then. Concentrating on the eyewitness question alone for the moment:

Luke was no eyewitness and alludes to that fact himself (Lk.1:1-14), and anyway his chronology is wrong: e.g. Herod (of Judea) died in 4 BCE, and Quirinius ordered no census until 6 CE, and furthermore, as Mary and Joseph were from Galilee and subject to Herod Antipas, they would not have been subject to that census. (None of which proves that Luke's account of Jesus' mission is wrong, but it does mean we should take great care before accepting anything he says for the simple reason that it is hearsay and garbled hearsay at that.)

Mark -the earliest gospel by common assent amongst scholars of the subject- has a grasp of geography as flawed as Luke's grasp of history, but at least with Mark there are numerous variant texts in existance that allow some wiggle room to explain away the discrepancies. Mk. 5:1 -in the Revised Standard Edition the text refers to the country of the Gerasenes. In the King James, it is the country of the Gadarenes. In some -not all- of the surviving early manuscripts, it is rendered as the country of the Gergesenes. All of these place names are real, specific places whose locations are known, and none of them are where the text says they are. (Matt. 8:28 gives the name Gadarenes, except in some early ms. that give it as Gerasenes: but those places still don't fit the story.) In addition, Mark demonstrates in Mk. 10:11,12 that he is ignorant of Jewish law, by having Jesus preach in Judea about a woman divorcing her husband -a legal absurdity under Jewish law in that period! All of which supports the contention that Mark could not have been an eyewitness.

Matthew also presents problems if he was an eyewitness, because he describes an angel scaring the guards at Jesus' tomb with an earthquake. Should we accept that he saw that happen? But then there's his use of the phrase, 'to this day' (Mt. 28:15b -this story has been spread among the Jews to this day."): that rather suggests the POV of someone looking back to something from a later period. While it isn't impossible that he's recalling what he witnessed from his old age, the choice of 'to this day' is more in keeping with an account of things that someone has been told by other people.

John does however claim to be an eyewitness, but that causes problems with the gospels of Mark, Luke and Matthew. Specifically, much of what is in those gospels is omitted by John (e.g. most of the parables, nearly all of the miracles), and most of what is in John (e.g. raising of Lazarus, the Wedding at Cana) is omitted by the other gospel witers. Some highly respected biblical scholars have apparently claimed that the discrepancies are so marked that accepting John's claim as an eyewitness would necessitate the discarding of the other 3 gospels entirely. (In which case, you can have John as an eyewitness; IMO, it'd simplify things, increase the internal consistency of the NT and it'd help shorten my posts! :D )

If that isn't supporting documentation I don't know what you'd call it. With regard to physical evidence of human habitations and the like, the middle east has been a cross roads, heavily inhabited at times, sparsely at others,

Which means what exactly? Can you think of many cities more built and re-built upon than the City of London? And have Roman and ancient British remains never been excavated within the City? The fact that the so-called Holy Land has been much tromped upon by both the shoed and the unshod and is therefore not amenable to the normal methods of archeology is a false premise: the subsequent structures are built one atop the othe other, year upon year, decade upon decade -this is what the most basic of dating technique relies on! No special conditions apply to archeology in the Holy Land beyond the political and the religious restrictions: a dig is a dig. It either finds evidence of something, or it doesn't.

and the site of environmental devastation courtesy of the followers of Mohammed (the only good tree is a date palm, but the rest of em down! to hell with the erosion problem)

Ehrr, sources for that? I've seen nothing about the history of the region to suggest that the Muslims have been any more reckless with the environment than anyone else who's ever held sway there.

Fallen Angel said:
and the site of environmental devastation courtesy of the followers of Mohammed (the only good tree is a date palm, but the rest of em down! to hell with the erosion problem)
So who planted all those olive groves and looked after them for the last millennia or so? And who is now busily bulldozing those olive groves and building miles of motorway-class roads and swathes of houses and apartment blocks?

Zygon said:
We seem to be reading different evaluations of the synoptic gospels then. Concentrating on the eyewitness question alone for the moment:

Luke was no eyewitness and alludes to that fact himself (Lk.1:1-14), and anyway his chronology is wrong: e.g. Herod (of Judea) died in 4 BCE, and Quirinius ordered no census until 6 CE, and furthermore, as Mary and Joseph were from Galilee and subject to Herod Antipas, they would not have been subject to that census. (None of which proves that Luke's account of Jesus' mission is wrong, but it does mean we should take great care before accepting anything he says for the simple reason that it is hearsay and garbled hearsay at that.)

Um, pardon me but my post does not specify Luke as one of the eyewitness accounts. Hel-lo!? As for his chronology being wrong, please give your source. Keep in mind too there was more than one Herod.

Mark -the earliest gospel by common assent amongst scholars of the subject- has a grasp of geography as flawed as Luke's grasp of history, but at least with Mark there are numerous variant texts in existance that allow some wiggle room to explain away the discrepancies. Mk. 5:1 -in the Revised Standard Edition the text refers to the country of the Gerasenes. In the King James, it is the country of the Gadarenes. In some -not all- of the surviving early manuscripts, it is rendered as the country of the Gergesenes. All of these place names are real, specific places whose locations are known, and none of them are where the text says they are. (Matt. 8:28 gives the name Gadarenes, except in some early ms. that give it as Gerasenes: but those places still don't fit the story.) In addition, Mark demonstrates in Mk. 10:11,12 that he is ignorant of Jewish law, by having Jesus preach in Judea about a woman divorcing her husband -a legal absurdity under Jewish law in that period! All of which supports the contention that Mark could not have been an eyewitness.

Actually I asked my pastor, a Doctor of Theology- a scholar who speaks, reads and writes Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and can read Aramaic - and he says that yes, a Jewish woman of the time could indeed legally and religiously divorce her husband. Sorry, but in this case I believe his education and credentials outweighs yours. Interestingly, in the NIV Bible, which I use as one of the best researched Bibles, Mark does not list the name of the locale, only "Jordan countryside". Which manuscripts are you talking about?

Matthew also presents problems if he was an eyewitness, because he describes an angel scaring the guards at Jesus' tomb with an earthquake. Should we accept that he saw that happen?

Why not? You're on a Fortean website, for goodness' sake!! Streange things DO happen!

But then there's his use of the phrase, 'to this day' (Mt. 28:15b -this story has been spread among the Jews to this day."): that rather suggests the POV of someone looking back to something from a later period. While it isn't impossible that he's recalling what he witnessed from his old age, the choice of 'to this day' is more in keeping with an account of things that someone has been told by other people.

Matthew was writing to the Jewish community, one reason he included so much information about Jesus' ancestry. The fact that other Jews already knew the story of the empty tomb would lend credence to his account to other contemporary Jews. Matthews account was not written during the life of Jesus but after his death. The fact that the women who witnessed the empty tomb with the funeral clothes still inside were willing to tell their story to others in their community (and risk being called insane, no light matter in that time and place), give weight to Matthews relating of the incident. And even one week would be enough time to have the story spread a lot, and could be referred to as a story still being discussed "to this day". Week-old news dies out unless it's really something special!

John does however claim to be an eyewitness, but that causes problems with the gospels of Mark, Luke and Matthew. Specifically, much of what is in those gospels is omitted by John (e.g. most of the parables, nearly all of the miracles), and most of what is in John (e.g. raising of Lazarus, the Wedding at Cana) is omitted by the other gospel witers. Some highly respected biblical scholars have apparently claimed that the discrepancies are so marked that accepting John's claim as an eyewitness would necessitate the discarding of the other 3 gospels entirely. (In which case, you can have John as an eyewitness; IMO, it'd simplify things, increase the internal consistency of the NT and it'd help shorten my posts! :D )

This is the gist of the document my pastor referred me to:
"Manuscript Evidence for the New Testament
There are more than 24,000 partial and complete manuscript copies of the New Testament. These manuscript copies are very ancient and they are available for inspection now at various schools and museums. There are also some 86,000 quotations from the early church fathers and several thousand Lectionaries (church-service books containing Scripture quotations used in the early centuries of Christianity). Bottom line: the New Testament has an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting its reliability.
The variants in the New Testament manuscripts are minimal.
In the many thousands of manuscript copies we possess of the New Testament, scholars have discovered that there are some 150,000 "variants." This may seem like a staggering figure to the uninformed mind. But to those who study the issue, the numbers are not so damning as it may initially appear. Indeed, a look at the hard evidence shows that the New Testament manuscripts are amazingly accurate and trustworthy. To begin, we must emphasize that out of these 150,000 variants, 99 percent hold virtually no significance whatsoever. Many of these variants simply involve a missing letter in a word; some involve reversing the order of two words (such as "Christ Jesus" instead of "Jesus Christ"); some may involve the absence of one or more insignificant words. When all the facts are put on the table, only about 50 of the variants have any real significance - and even then, no doctrine of the Christian faith or any moral commandment is effected by them.

For more than ninety-nine percent of the cases the original text can be reconstructed to a practical certainty.

Even in the few cases where some perplexity remains, this does not impinge on the meaning of Scripture to the point of clouding a tenet of the faith or a mandate of life. Thus, in the Bible as we have it (and as it is conveyed to us through faithful translations) we do have for practical purposes the very Word of God, inasmuch as the manuscripts do convey to us the complete vital truth of the originals. By practicing the science of textual criticism - comparing all the available manuscripts with each other - we can come to an assurance regarding what the original document must have said.

No special conditions apply to archeology in the Holy Land beyond the political and the religious restrictions: a dig is a dig. It either finds evidence of something, or it doesn't.

Why do you say they have not. Just because what has been found is not what you think of as evidence, that does not mean there is not validity and support for the scriptures in the digs that have been done.

Ehrr, sources for that? I've seen nothing about the history of the region to suggest that the Muslims have been any more reckless with the environment than anyone else who's ever held sway there.

"There is among trees one that is pre-eminently blessed, as is the Muslim among men; it is the date palm." Muhammad

His followers, in many instances, would take this to mean that all other trees should be cut down, just as all other religions are unacceptable. This led to large tracts of trees being cut down. The Mizanul Haaq says: "Abu Bakr, when placing Yazid ibn Abi Sufyan in command of the army that was starting for Syria, said to him: "Ye shall not slay a woman or a child or a decrepit old man, nor shall ye cut down fruit-bearing trees, nor shall ye lay waste cultivated ground, nor shall ye slaughter sheep or beast of burden except for food, nor shall ye split a date-palm, nor burn it: nor shalt thou deal treacherously, nor shalt thou be cowardly." The injunction was necessary because the armies of the followers of Islam would completely lay waste to the territory belonging to the communities that resisted them, unless their commanders instructed otherwise.

Back