• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Joshua Ward House Photo

Can't see the picture - 'Access Forbidden' and 404.

The address includes the terms 'slightlywarped.com', 'crapfactory', 'ghastlyghostgallery' and 'wickedwitchghost' so yup, it sounds completely authentic to me! :lol:

Come back MrEggMan! Whats the real link!!! Show us the Pic! Oh! I hate being teased like this! :? Hee hee! Come one show us the picture!

The one that drbates posted is the one that I had posted originally. Not sure why the link didn't show up.

Whatch'all think?

MrEggMan said:
Whatch'all think?

I think she should sue whoever did her hair, oh, and the quality of the photo's so bad it could be from anywhere - I was thinking more 'The Supremes' than 'Wicked Witch Ghost' though :nonplus:

MrEggMan said:
I know that it was taken on the front steps of the Joshua Ward house in MA.

How do you know that? And if it was, what are we looking for? It's a person standing in front of a door.

TheOrigDesperado said:
MrEggMan said:
I know that it was taken on the front steps of the Joshua Ward house in MA.

How do you know that? And if it was, what are we looking for? It's a person standing in front of a door.

I thought that too. Yes it's a picture of a person.

Someone's Halloween photo where the flash didn't go off and you got a blurry mess with the available light?

I like all the pictures in that album. Especially the potentially pants-soiling ones. :shock:

That looks like a cropped image - is there a full one?

The Amityville "GhostBoy" was taken with an automatic infrared camera during an investigation in March '76. A series of automatic shots were taken showing the empty upstairs area, with ONE capturing the GhostBoy.

It was never filmed, so if you've seen it "panning" etc, I would imagine this would be a zoom effect used on a documentary.

The figure is looking out of Missy Lutz' room, and when George showed her the picture she said "That's the boy who used to play with me" ie the infamous - and sometime pig - Jody.

It's never been debunked, but endless people assume it's simply one of the investigators caught by surprise.

That doesn't look like an infrared photo - did they just mean that the camera had an infrared trigger?
Also, the person is wearing glasses - their eyes aren't glowing, it's just the flash caught on the lenses- didn't know they had optometrists on the other side....couldn't it just be one of the Lutz' kids?

"In the September 17, 1979 issue of People Magazine, William Weber wrote: "I know this book is a hoax. We created this horror story over many bottles of wine." This refers to a meeting that Weber is said to have had with George and Kathy Lutz, during which they discussed what would later become the outline of Anson's book." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amityville_horror

markbellis said:
That doesn't look like an infrared photo - did they just mean that the camera had an infrared trigger?

It's always been described as an "infrared photo", despite the fact most people see a flash in the glasses!

....couldn't it just be one of the Lutz' kids?

No, this was some weeks after the Lutzes had moved out, and no kids were present that night.

"In the September 17, 1979 issue of People Magazine, William Weber wrote: "I know this book is a hoax. We created this horror story over many bottles of wine." This refers to a meeting that Weber is said to have had with George and Kathy Lutz, during which they discussed what would later become the outline of Anson's book." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amityville_horror

This is the wrong thread to get into Bill Weber... but the basics are, he was one of the first people the Lutzes came to with their story. He wanted to incorporate it into his "Helter Skelter"-style book on the murders, ans sent them unfavourable contracts, plus called last-minute press conferences. And the Lutzes, wanted nothing more to do with him, took the story to Jay Anson.

This didn't stop Weber selling the story to Sunday Magazines and Good Housekeepering - until Anson's publisher told the Lutzes to stop him. So they sued, he counter-sued claiming he helped make up the storym and by the time it ended up in court he was after a substantial cut in the profits.

Weber settled out of court when it emerged the judge was taking a dim view of him "acting more like a literary agent" than helping his client, Ronnie DeFeo.

So nothing was proven in court, but I'd say Weber had ample reason to lie about the "bottles of wine" incident.

Oh, it's obvious that a flash has been used, but by itself that doesn't rule out an infrared film, but if you look at real infrared photos you'll see that skin looks snow white because it reflects infrared light strongly in the spectrum range the film is sensitive to, but in this one the skin is normal looking. It might have been that Warren simply didn't put an infrared filter on his lens.

If you reject Weber as unreliable, why accept the Lutzes as reliable, given that as Joe Nickell notes:

" * The Lutzes could not have found the demonic hoofprint in the snow when they said they did, because weather records showed there had been no snowfall to leave prints in.

* Though the book details extensive damage to the home's doors and hardware, the original locks, doorknobs, and hinges were actually untouched.

* The book and film show police being called to the house, but, Nickell writes, "During the 28-day 'siege' that drove [the Lutz family] from the house, they never once called the police."

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/amityville.asp

The spookiness of the photo hinges on whether Warren was correct when he said no one was in the house at the time of the photos - given that the person in the photo appears to be wearing a plaid shirt and glasses, objects which one would be surprised to find have an afterlife, and that the Warrens have been described in another case as:

“My brother ...... along with my family, was manipulated and exploited, something the Warrens were very good at, and along with their author, Gerald Brittle, they concocted a phony story about demons in an attempt to get rich and famous at our expense, and we have the evidence to prove it.”

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/brors-sue-wo ... 347-2.html

It does not seem unreasonable to doubt the stated facts about the photo.

markbellis said:
given that the person in the photo appears to be wearing a plaid shirt and glasses, objects which one would be surprised to find have an afterlife

.. Why? Because in the 'afterlife' everyone wears either Victorian clothes or white sheets with holes for eyes?

There's not enough evidence to judge who the person was or whether anyone else was in the house at the time. Therefore, like the first photo, logic would dictate that it's a photo of a real person, wearing glasses, in a house.

The reason why such a big hoo-hah as been made about it is because if you didn't know the person was wearing glasses it appears that they have glowing eyes. It looks spooky but the explanation is perfectly rational.

JackDark said:
.. Why? Because in the 'afterlife' everyone wears either Victorian clothes or white sheets with holes for eyes?

No, just as Penn and Teller pointed out, why do ghosts have clothes at all? Shouldn't they be naked, unless we accept that something like a pair of glasses and a plaid shirt have an afterlife as well?

sherbetbizarre said:
T.

So nothing was proven in court, but I'd say Weber had ample reason to lie about the "bottles of wine" incident.

Actually, the judge did accept as fact that: “.... to a large extent the book is a work of fiction, relying in a large part upon the suggestions of Mr. Weber.”

http://www.amityvillemurders.com/lutzvweber.html

and the judge did throw out the Lutz' suit - Weber settled his counter-suit out of court, not an unusual thing at all in civil law.

markbellis said:
JackDark said:

No, just as Penn and Teller pointed out, why do ghosts have clothes at all? Shouldn't they be naked, unless we accept that something like a pair of glasses and a plaid shirt have an afterlife as well?

Well true, but that's a rather profound view, and another thread all together, for, conversely, I can't recall ANY tales of naked spooks. :?

I seem to remember a whole thread about naked ghosts, wherein various sartorial issues of the afterlife were discussed.

markbellis said:

This is one of the reasons I no longer believe in "ghosts" as separate entities. I might be prepared to believe that some aspect of the environment could stimulate a human (or animal) brain to experience a presence or even see an image or hear sounds, but a physical ghost that can be recorded on camera? Forget it.

markbellis said:
If you reject Weber as unreliable, why accept the Lutzes as reliable, given that as Joe Nickell notes:

" * The Lutzes could not have found the demonic hoofprint in the snow when they said they did, because weather records showed there had been no snowfall to leave prints in.

* Though the book details extensive damage to the home's doors and hardware, the original locks, doorknobs, and hinges were actually untouched.

* The book and film show police being called to the house, but, Nickell writes, "During the 28-day 'siege' that drove [the Lutz family] from the house, they never once called the police."

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/amityville.asp

Jay Anson wrote the book in diary format, with events happening on specific days. He later admiteed to "rearraging" events, so whatever day he chose the snow to fall on, was obviously the same day in real life.

I'm not sure to what extent the Lutzes spoke of the house breaking up - but it was meant in a sort "waking dream" state - what they thought was happening was not physically occuring. They knew this (eventually) but Anson wrote as if it actually happened, for more dramitic effect.

It's true the police denied going to the house. This was during the first wave of "tourists", who at one point actually broke into the empty house. So were the police playing down the Lutzes claims by calling them liars, or were they really not there at all?

escargot1 said:
I seem to remember a whole thread about naked ghosts, wherein various sartorial issues of the afterlife were discussed.
There is indeed, called.. erm.. Naked Ghosts.

Well worth another look, I'd say.

sherbetbizarre said:
Jay Anson wrote the book in diary format, with events happening on specific days. He later admiteed to "rearraging" events, so whatever day he chose the snow to fall on, was obviously the same day in real life.

I'm not sure to what extent the Lutzes spoke of the house breaking up - but it was meant in a sort "waking dream" state - what they thought was happening was not physically occuring. They knew this (eventually) but Anson wrote as if it actually happened, for more dramitic effect.
OK, so if we admit that Anson's account isn't reliable and that what the Lutzes thought was happening didn't really happen, what are we doing wasting our time discussing it?
sherbetbizarre said:
It's true the police denied going to the house. This was during the first wave of "tourists", who at one point actually broke into the empty house. So were the police playing down the Lutzes claims by calling them liars, or were they really not there at all?
Well, the Lutzes haven't produced an incident report from the police or even a business card from the officers that supposedly visited to investigate incidents that weren't physically occurring, so if the cops said they didn't come, and none of their neighbors have said they saw them, I guess I'd believe the cops.
If they had visited, it should have made the local newspaper's police blotter: "Police called to Ocean Avenue residence in response to reports of prowler pig. Patrolman O'Sullivan reports suspect went 'Wee! Wee! Wee!" all the way home."

Greetings,

The first picture is of Diana Ross, well tagged by a previous poster.

heheheheheh

BuckeyeJones said:
Greetings,

The first picture is of Diana Ross, well tagged by a previous poster.

heheheheheh

Oh come on man, write your OWN material. :lol:

TheOrigDesperado said:
... but a physical ghost that can be recorded on camera? Forget it.

I agree. Compare the millions of hours of spirit-less CCTV footage to frequent ghostly anecdotes and the long cultural heritage of spooks and you have to conclude 'they' need a human agency to interact with or are triggered by psychological or neureological processes.
For similar reasons I reckon the technology people take on ghost hunts is a waste of time. Temperature drops and the rest are contemporary constructs of ghostly behaviour, not objectively linked to the phenomenon. I believe in 'ghosts' but have never seen anything to support them on film.

Judging by the rest of the images in that album, I'd take it as an art project of some description, rather than evidence of a ghost.

Back