• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Judgement Day: May 21, 2011 (Postponed)

And there won't be all those prissy, holier than thou types to spoil the fun.

although the earth and the oceans giving up their dead could put a bit of a damper on things.

Mythopoeika said:
Of course, after the Rapture (if it happens), many atheists may suddenly believe in God. :lol:

Of course the Rapture wouldn't necessarily confirm the existence of God. The folks could have been abducted by an advanced alien civilization, which is pretending to be God(s), or even harvested by that civilization because belief in a diety and the supernatural induces production of particularly tasty neurotransmitters.....

Perhaps we could adapt Arthur C Clarke's dictum about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic and say that any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from god.

Wasn't the Rapture invented in the 19th century by some mad preacher, with no mention of it in The Bible at all?

gncxx said:
Wasn't the Rapture invented in the 19th century by some mad preacher, with no mention of it in The Bible at all?

Yup.

Mythopoeika said:
gncxx said:

Yup.

A lot like this latest doomsday prediction, then.

Tha Rapture is a real enough Biblical prophecy:

"Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" -

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

But if anyone wants to place bets on it happening, I'm game...

The most worrying thing about for me personally is that one day...one of these prophets of doom may be right.

And if they are it means my last sound before being wiped from existance will be that little noise you make when you realises somebody got it right...kinda like "oh!'

They get all this publicity before hand...how come no one goes back to them when they're wrong and question them what happened?

If it does happen, bagsy me a big church to live in!!

Did they say what time on Saturday this is supposed to happen? Only I have theatre tickets for that night. Bloody inconvenient.

I just realised my car registration is due on May 22 - should I bother paying for it?

McAvennie_ said:
Yeh, I look forward to reading about the end of the world in The Sun on May 22. Will be a souvenir edition, one to store where the loft used to be! :lol:

Don't you mean the News of the End of the World...? ;)

The way things are going, I fear that we may be running out of end of the World false alarms. :(

:sceptic:

....wait a minute...isn't that the day of a mass UFO hoax.....

Zilch5 said:
I just realised my car registration is due on May 22 - should I bother paying for it?

Yep. If the end of the world comes, money won't be worth anything anyway.

Doomsayers predict apocalypse now
A US evangelical Christian has predicted that the apocalypse will take place on Saturday, prompting derision from atheist groups.

Harold Camping, 89, previously made a failed prediction that Jesus Christ would return to Earth in 1994.

But, the head of the Christian radio network Family Stations Inc has said that he is sure an earthquake will hit on May 21, sweeping true believers to heaven and leaving others behind to be engulfed in the world's destruction over a few months.

[...]

But atheists are not convinced.
In Tacoma, Washington, atheists have organised a party for Saturday night at an arcade, under the banner "countdown to backpedalling," on the assumption that Camping and Family Radio will change their story when Judgment Day does not eventuate.

At least 100 people are expected at the party, said Sam Mulvey, 33, an organiser of the event and the producer of a weekly atheist radio show in Tacoma.

"If the world still exists the next day, Family Radio is going to have to say something and most of the time they backpedal, and that's what we're counting down to," he said. 8)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... e-now.html

Perhaps we can organise a FTMB wankathon to try and avert this terrible catastrophe :D

Failing that we can always stick around for the Rapture Afterparty in NY :D Or more likely Guinness and Doctor Who :lol:

'Rapture' apocalypse prediction sparks atheist reaction

US atheists are to hold parties in response to an evangelical broadcaster's prediction that Saturday will be "judgement day".

The Rapture After Party in North Carolina - "the best damned party in NC" - is among the planned events.

Harold Camping, 89, predicts that Jesus Christ will return to earth on Saturday and true believers will be swept up, or "raptured", to heaven.

He has used broadcasts and billboards to publicise his ideas.

He says biblical texts indicate that a giant earthquake on Saturday will mark the start of the world's destruction, and that by 21 October all non-believers will be dead.

Mr Camping has predicted an apocalypse once before, in 1994, though followers now say that only referred to an intermediary stage.

"We learn from the Bible that Holy God plans to rescue about 200 million people," says a text on the website of Mr Camping's network, Family Radio Worldwide.

"On the first day of the Day of Judgment (May 21, 2011) they will be caught up (raptured) into Heaven because God had great mercy for them."
'Countdown to back-pedalling'

The Rapture After Party in Fayetteville, North Carolina, is a two-day event organised by the Central North Carolina Atheists and Humanists.
Promoters of Harold Camping's prediction in New York, 13 May 2011 This prediction has been given an unusually high level of publicity

"Though the absurdity of this claim is obvious to the majority of the world, it's a great opportunity to highlight some of the most bizarre beliefs often put forth by religious fundamentalists and raise awareness of the need for reason," said a posting about the party on the group's website.

Atheists in Tacoma, Washington, have headed their celebration "countdown to back-pedalling".

Events are also planned in Houston, Florida and California.

An atheist and entrepreneur from North Hampshire, Bart Centre, is enjoying a boost in business for Eternal Earth-bound Pets, which he set up to look after the pets of those who believe they will be raptured.

He has more than 250 clients who are paying up to $135 (£83) to have their pets picked up and cared for after the rapture.

They would be disappointed twice, he told the Wall Street Journal. "Once because they weren't raptured and again because I don't do refunds."
'No Plan B'

Meanwhile Mr Camping, who has been criticised by more mainstream Christians, says he knows "without any shadow of a doubt" that "judgement day" is arriving.

He says he will spend Saturday with his wife, close to a TV or radio.

"I'll be interested in what's happening on the other side of the world as this begins," he told Reuters.

There is no "Plan B", he says.

His campaign has been unusually widely promoted - both in the US, and overseas, including in the Middle East.

In Vietnam, thousands of members of the Hmong ethnic minority gathered near the border with Laos earlier this month to await the 21 May event, the Associated Press reported.

Chris McCann of eBible Fellowship, one of the groups helping to spread the message, said it had been publicised in almost every country.

"The only countries I don't feel too good about are the "stans" - you know, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, those countries in Central Asia," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13468131

Thank you for introducing me to the word "wankathon". I'm mightily amused :D

Well, it's now the 21st. Don't think I'll bother staying up through the Rapture.
Empty streets tomorrow, heh heh.

It's very quiet outside this morning...

Am I the only one left...?

:shock:

Apocalypse not right now: 'Rapture' end of world fails to materialise
Reports of the end of the world appeared to have been exaggerated today.
By Bonnie Malkin, in Sydney, and David Barrett 8:00AM BST 21 May 2011

Inhabitants of New Zealand, scheduled to be among the first to meet the apocalypse according to a US fundamentalist preacher, this morning confirmed they were still in existence as the appointed time was reached in their time zone.
There were also unconfirmed reports that Tonga has, thus far, failed to boil into the Pacific.

Eighty-nine-year-old tele-evangelist Harold Camping had prophesied that the “Rapture” would begin with powerful earthquakes at 6pm in each of the world’s regions, after which the good would be beamed up to heaven.

This morning, Kiwis confirmed there were no signs of the dead rising from the grave, nor of the living ascending into the clouds to meet Jesus Christ.
Twitter users were disappointed by the absence of Armaggedon.

Daniel Boerman said on Twitter, the micro-blogging website: “I’m from New Zealand, it is 6.06pm, the world has NOT ended. No earthquakes here, all waiting for the Rapture can relax for now.”

Gavin Middleton wrote: “Well it’s 13 minutes past the Rapture here in New Zealand. I’m still holding out hope for the trumpet call and the firey rain...”

Similarly, on the Pacific islands whose clocks ticked over to 6pm before the fateful hour hit New Zealand, there was no evidence of a “super horror story” predicted by Camping - no zombies, no true believers hurtling skywards, no arch-angels and no trumpeters. 8)

A post on Godlike Productions, a website dedicated to conspiracy theories and UFOs, reported that Tonga, which reached 6pm one hour before New Zealand, was “still on the map”.
Likewise, no reports of chaos were heard from Christmas Island in Kiribati, where the super-earthquake was set to hit first.

Two minor earthquakes did hit the Pacific earlier in the day, measuring 3.1 and 4.8 and not triggering any tsunami warnings, but earthquakes of that magnitude are a regular occurrence in the region.

Vicky Hyde, spokesman for the New Zealand Skeptic Society said she was confident the Rapture was not imminent.
“These kind of predictions come up particularly in times of economic or social uncertainty - which is pretty much almost every year actually, you can track them, whether it’s commentary [sic!!] impacts or the rapture or giant space aliens or something.
“And the only thing they have in common is they are all wrong,” she said.

Camping spread his message of doom via Family Radio, which has a network of 66 radio stations and online broadcasts.
After today’s day of reckoning, he said non-believers would suffer through hell on earth until October 21, when God would pull the plug on the planet once and for all.
But after incorrectly predicting the end of the world in 1994, Camping’s prophecies have been met with derision. And it seems this time he was wrong again.

New York mayor Michael Bloomberg - who is Jewish and, according to Camping’s prophecy, therefore unlikely to be beamed up to sit alongside Jesus in heaven - said on his weekly radio show yesterday that he would partially suspend parking restrictions in New York if the world ended today.

David Speer, on Twitter, said: “Oh well no rapture. Just as well. New Zealand didn’t need that right now. Another delay to the filming of The Hobbit would’ve been terrible.” :rofl:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... alise.html

beakboo said:
Did they say what time on Saturday this is supposed to happen? Only I have theatre tickets for that night. Bloody inconvenient.

6pm, apparently.
Inconvenient, because Doctor Who will be on a bit later. :(

Edit: Damn, you beat me to the Doctor Who thing.

bazizmaduno said:
It's very quiet outside this morning...

Am I the only one left...?

:shock:

Yes!

Only you and us apes.

We'll be coming around later to discuss sleeping arrangements!

BlackRiverFalls said:
You think I can ask them to postpone it until after Doctor Who? :lol:

It's a two parter tonight, maybe they could postpone The Rapture until next week?

Mr Camping predicts that the world will end at 6pm local time in whatever part of the globe you happen to be. He therefore plans to wake up in time to witness Armageddon strike New Zealand. He will then spend his day watching CNN coverage of it sweeping across the time-zones.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 87185.html

Wouldn't it be terrible irony if the Rapture happens and Mr Camping isn't one of the chosen ones?

Back