• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kappa the Creature from Japan

A

Anonymous

I have just read and saw amazing pics of a creature called The Kappa it is part of Japanese folklore

This is what the Japanese has found out so far about the strange creature, Kappa:

1) It lives in or near rivers.
2) It looks like a 5 year-old human child.
3) Its arms and legs are slender.
4) It has 4 fingers on each hand, and 3 toes on the foot, which are all webbed.
5) It has a huge head.
6) It has big eyes, a small nose and ears. The mouth looks like the beak of a duck.
7) It usually walks on its two legs but sometimes on all four (hands and feet).
8) It sometimes attacks humans who traverse a river and suck their blood.
9) It has been classified as an amphibian, if it really exist.

To see the pics visit GUST,s site

http://www.cryptozoology.st

My own opinion is its a fake but I leave it to all the members out there to decide. FAKE or REAL

KAPPA

Theres actually a game called Final Fantasy 6 made in Japan with a creature called Kappa the Imp.
Ok thats really off-topic... but now I know the background behind him!

I totally don't see it on the site.
But its that site with the bad "creature of the creek" thing, so...

IIRC the Kappa of Japanese folklore had a bowl-like indent on top of it's head, full of a liquid which was it's life-force: if the liquid spilled, the Kappa would die, so it had to hold it's head rigidly still and level.

Can't see if this one has this particular handicap :)!

Stu

Whatever the creature in the picture is, it doesn't look like a Ninja Turtle, as suggested.

Couldn't see the indented head mentioned by Stu either. It must have difficulty moving around with that feature. It probably walks like an old-fashioned deb at a finishing school, where they used to make them walk with books on their heads in deportment classes . . .

Carole

Re: KAPPA

naymeless said:
Theres actually a game called Final Fantasy 6 made in Japan with a creature called Kappa the Imp.
Ok thats really off-topic... but now I know the background behind him!

Most of the monsters and spirits in the Final Fantasy games have origins in legends and religions from round the world , there are whole threads dedicated to their origins on the Final Fantasy forums .

The word kappa means river-child. Kappa is a mythic creature that loves cucumbers. If they get annoyed they may try to suck your blood and pull out your liver through your anus. Therefore, it is wise to sacrifice cucumbers to the kappa. I've myself seen such sacifriced cucumbers during a stroll along the Nagara river in Gifu City. Of course, most japanese nowadays thinks the kappa thing to be sheer bosh. Though I've heard that some monesteries claim to have mummified kappas in their possession. Never seen any pictures though.

Oh, I almost forgot. The smartest thing to do if encountering a kappa is to bow. Because the kappa like the japanese are very polite, they then have to bow themselves, which mean that the water they store in their bowl-like head will pour out. They then have to return to the water from whence they came. Well now you know that. Very useful information ne? :)

cool site read all "dots" Kappa..hmmm

interesting info on 1977 carcus dredged up by japenese revisited,,might be something to that after all. also the web cam site "within the site itself"..http://www.webcamgo.com I spent too much time fiddling there!!! :eek!!!!:

Kappa mummies

Here are some links to pages (in japanese) containing Kappa mummies

This picture is taken in a temple in Osaka and the kappa looks somewhat suspect:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SilkRoad-Desert/3111/youkaiten/kappa.html

and the mummified hand of a kappa

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SilkRoad-Desert/3111/youkaiten/kappanote.html

From the same site, a dragon mummy from the same temple
(now THIS looks really natural..)

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SilkRoad-Desert/3111/youkaiten/ryuu.html

and the hand of a demon bull

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SilkRoad-Desert/3111/youkaiten/usioninote.html

Another kappa mummy

http://www.mysterywalk.com/youkai/kapa/

Not mummies but funny statues:

http://www.jousenji.com/main/kappa/kappa_pic3.html
http://www.jousenji.com/main/kappa/kappa_pic2.html

Nice links.

Loved the Kappa links, nicely done. I do think there needs to be much more of that kind of stuff. More dragon mummies I say!! :p

:nooo: I can't see the links, keep getting errors when clicking them :( Any other sources of the pictures, I am really interested in seeing them.

Hey, check out the "Sky Fish" animated gif on the next page from the "Kappa" photo (which is, well, of nothing):

It's an Anomalocaris!

Not a real one, of course, but a damn good drawing of one.

Ah , the Kappa!

The kappa was a water demon with the head of a (macacque) monkey, forelegs and carapace of a turtle and the legs of a frog. The name also means 'cucumber'. There are two, excellent, additional sources for this. One is the Hamlyn Book of Legendary Creatures in which illustrator Victor J. Ambrus (of Time Team fame) conjures a very chilling impression of the creature.
Scottish writer Ward Ruther penned the short story 'The Kappa of Calderglen' in which his usual protagonist , elderly cryptozoologist Kelt Chattox, investigates a kappa on the loose in a Scottish town. He finds it, but fails to kill it as, when he bows, no reciprocal Kappa bow is returned. Chattox was a conscientious objector during WWII and the Kappa, sensing this, will only bow to a warrior.

The last kappa mummy looks the most convincing the dragons head is really dodgy looking.

Tried clicking on the Silk Road (Dragon Mummy etc) links and got a 403 - forbidden notice :confused:

Must have been working yesterday, cos some of you have commented....

Stu Neville said:
Tried clicking on the Silk Road (Dragon Mummy etc) links and got a 403 - forbidden notice :confused:

Must have been working yesterday, cos some of you have commented....

Oh it's working for me right now.

Just tried again:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /SilkRoad-Desert/3111/youkaiten/kappa.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

:confused:

kappas

i thourght that kappas were found in ireland in the shape of horses which try to drown u if ttried to ride them. or iam thinking of something different?

Kelpies are a scottish thing that sounds like what you are talking about, and seem to just about paralel with kappas to me (water demons composed of various animal parts with massive strentgh that drag people to watery grave etc)

kappas

thanx faggus. i thourght i had the the wrong name

Oh dear!

Kappa was a TV Hoax!
Producers of NTV's controversial variety program "Denpa Shonen ni Kega Haeta" have refused to apologize over a hare-brained scam involving sightings of a mythical monster in Iwate Prefecture.

NTV screened in its entirety Saturday night a "Denpa Shonen" program featuring an actor forced to live for about three months in the wilderness around the Iwate Prefecture city of Tono while posing as a mythical kappa, a Japanese monster, despite vehement protests by local officials.

Aren't kelpies seals that can take on human form?

kappas

"Aren't kelpies seals that can take on human form?"

bosbaba
youre thinking of selkies
i think theyre found around the top of scotland? if you want to keep a selky on land you must find where they are swiming cos they take there skin off to go swiming and you have to "steal" the skin and hide it to keep them on land
many old familys claim desent from a union between a selky and human. (appols. i mayhave missed bits out and also be wrong, more appols to selky/human desendents)
and it is possilbe that selkys are the original merpeople?

What about the boat people stories and PHYSICAL EVIDENCE?

Fortean ran a story about them. They were perhaps a race of arctic/bering/siberia/inuit people who lived, or seemed to live in the sea.

THE SEAL PEOPLE

That was the name! Their canoe, one of which I think is in Edinburgh Museum, was submersible and could be used to dive and submerge only to reappear elsewhere.

When static on the surface, their canoe was still practically under water which gave the seal people the appearance of water-people or....mer-people.

That seems relevant but I may have imagined it while eating my mothers special cakes.;)

kelpies

Are water horses- a scottish water spirit
in rivers and running water I believe
also known as 'each uisge'

selkies

are there any selkie descendents out there in Fortean Land? who can confirm wot i rote ??

From "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them" by (ahem) J K Rowling:
Kappa

The Kappa is a Japanese water demon that inhabits shallow ponds and rivers. Often said to look like a monkey with fish scales instead of fur, it has a hollow in the top of its head in which it carries water.

The Kappa feeds on human blood but may be persuaded not to harm a person if it is thrown a cucumber with that person's name carved into it. In confrontation, a wizard should trick the Kappa into bowing - if it does so, the water in the hollow of its head will run out, depriving it of all its strength.
From the *excellent* (believe it or not) Magical Worlds Of Harry Potter (yes!!) by David Colbert:
Harry learns about Kappas, 'Creepy, water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys' in Rowling's Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. They are mentioned again in Beasts [See above. taras. :) ]

JK Rowling did not invent kappas. They are, as she says in Beasts, water demons of Japanese legend. (In Azkaban, Prof. Snape makes an error when he informs Harry's class that 'the kappa is more commonly found in Mongolia'.) Like the grindylows who live near Hogwarts, kappas live in lakes and rivers, and capture people in the water. They are also known as Kawako, which means 'Child of the River'.

The description in Beasts, odd as it sounds, is true to legend. Kappas can be vicious and enjoy the taste of human blood. However, a human may escape from a kappa by exploiting the creature's greatest weakness. Its vitality is drawn from a saucer-like depression on its head, which must remain filled with water. If one offers a polite and ceremonious bow, the kappa will be obligated [ew- horrible word. taras] to return it. The water will spill and the kappa will be defeated. As well, for some long-forgotten reason, kappas love cucumbers almost as they love human blood. A gift of a cucumber may win the friendship of a kappa, who might then reveal secrets about medicine.
So don't say Harry Potter never tought anyone anything! :p

St.Clair said:
THE SEAL PEOPLE

That was the name! Their canoe, one of which I think is in Edinburgh Museum, was submersible and could be used to dive and submerge only to reappear elsewhere.

I am going to the museum on Tuesday evening. I'll keep an eye open for that. Someone mentioned something else fortean I should be aware of there, but I can't remember what - any ideas?

Back