• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kenneth Arnold's 1947 UFO Sighting

I have researched same and zero indication of even a remote connection.

See, for example, :

Hans Kammler, Hitler’s Last Hope, in American Hands

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publication/hans-kammler-hitlers-last-hope-american-hands
Get a copy of (1) Nick Cook, The Hunt for Zero Point; and (2) Dean Reuter, Colm Lowery and Keith Chester, The Hidden Nazi. Cook's book, which details his search for "antigravity" work in Nazi Germany, came out about 20 years ago. The Reuter book is based on totally independent research and the authors were unaware of Cook's work. They concentrated more on the A bomb angle. Also check out (if you haven't already) Henry Stevens' book Hitler's Flying Saucers. The fact that the Germans were working on several independent field propulsion systems towards the end of the war, and that we now know that the US govt. were having secret discussions with Kammler prior to the end of the war in Europe, makes it very likely indeed that they were testing out some of these in the late 40s. They might even have made a decision to use "alien space ships" as a convenient cover should any of these tests go awry. The Kecksberg alleged alien craft bears such a close similarity to the "Bell" device that I'm pretty certain this was one of many unsuccessful attempts to use it as a propulsion system. Polish intelligence claimed that the US kept trying despite the fact that the pilots were disintegrating physically due to the radiation that it emitted.

Polish intelligence claimed that the US kept trying despite the fact that the pilots were disintegrating physically due to the radiation that it emitted.
I share your fascination with all of the noted citations and even have most of the same in my archives.

Your above observation though, 'disintegrating physically due to the radiation', exemplifies the real perspective.

It's all conjecture, rumor and not a ingle iota of hard core evidence.

Arnold's reported sighting, having become the mainstay of 'flying saucers' has no factual substance whatsoever.

The myth will always perpetuate though, even if sometimes palpably incongruous...

Screenshot_20211204-122500~2.jpg

As I've said before, antigravity is a chimera. Gravity is a very weak force, and it requires the entire mass of the Earth to generate enough gravity to accelerate a mass by 1 gee. If you have a smaller mass (such a spacecraft) which generates negative gravity floating above the Earth, the gravity of the Earth will vastly predominate over the antigravity of the spacecraft, and the craft will still fall downwards (albeit with slightly less force). In order to balance the gravity of the Earth you'd need a mass of anti-gravity matter as massive as the Earth.
negative1.png

Antigravity would make a good propulsion system in deep space, far from any planet with positive gravity; but if you get anywhere near a planet, you will fulfil the third option in this table, and the smaller object will fall towards the larger one, and crash.

I share your fascination with all of the noted citations and even have most of the same in my archives.

Your above observation though, 'disintegrating physically due to the radiation', exemplifies the real perspective.

It's all conjecture, rumor and not a ingle iota of hard core evidence.

Arnold's reported sighting, having become the mainstay of 'flying saucers' has no factual substance whatsoever.

The myth will always perpetuate though, even if sometimes palpably incongruous...

View attachment 48841
I doubt that the information supplied to Witkowski would have comprised an incredibly sophisticated disinformation project. To what end? And if the US was indeed continuing to experiment with this and other devices it could explain a lot of apparent UFO sightings. In particular Kecksburg seems a good example: the witnesses were describing something very odd to them not realising that it matched in size and general configuration very closely to the Bell. And one of the most characteristic features of the Bell when in operation was the bluish haze of radiation that surrrounded it. What are the odds of the witnesses describing this same haze, said to have been visible even from outside the woods? Another feature of the case was (from memory) that it left in its wake over Canada pools of what seems to have been liquid aluminium. If the device had been propelling an aircraft of some kind and it went out of control, becoming a fireball and burning off the airframe, that would account for the whole sequence of events. Obviously they were able to remain in radio contact with the Bell and bring it down for a safe landing. One other feature that could make sense is that witnesses described not just military personnel arriving soon after but civilians with NASA badges. I had assumed this was another attempt at disinformation (NASA implying some extraterrestrial angle) but it is possible that NASA had been testing the possible use of the Bell in launching satellites or even possibly spacecraft.
Incidentally, the term "antigravity" is a bit of a misnomer in this context, I think "field propulsion" is probably a more appropriate term.

If you are hoping for "hard evidence" of something that would be subject to the highest levels of secrecy imaginable, I think you will have a long wait. What would be "hard evidence?"

And if the US was indeed continuing to experiment with this and other devices it could explain a lot of apparent UFO sightings. In particular Kecksburg seems a good example: the witnesses were describing something very odd...
Ah... Kecksburg.... one of my favourites!

Should you wish to discuss further, please see my new posting on existing thread.

You have caused myself to delve into the archives... and hope it's of interest!

Post in thread 'The Kecksburg (Pennsylvania) Incident: 1965' https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-pennsylvania-incident-1965.7280/post-2133228

Newspaper reports of Arnold's 24 June, 1947 sighting, comprise largely of articles based on their editorial version of the same newsfeeds from either the Associated Press (AP), or United Press (UP).

In a fresh endeavour, attempting to clarify the genesis of 'saucer-like', 'saucer-shaped', 'flying saucer' and primary what Arnold actually described, initially, regarding the entire incident, I have researched the following sources of contemporary newspaper archives:

The Kenneth Arnold sighting, June 24, 1947

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/htm/arnoldpress.htm

Project 1947 - UFO Rreports 1947

http://www.project1947.com/fig/1947b.htm

Historical Newspapers from 1700s-2000s

https://www.newspapers.com/

NewspaperArchive®

https://newspaperarchive.com/

Whilst this undertaking is not exhaustive and never intended to be, it has perhaps reiterated some significant, formative, case material.

There is no attempt to address anything other than this genesis.

Following the 'saucer' trail has hopefully proved enlightening and this is a synopsis of what would appear to be key developments.

My own comments are brief and simply highlight same.

Firstly though, of paramount import is an early radio interview given by Kenneth Arnold, on the 25 July, 1947, the day following his encounter.

Page 1 of 9

First Radio Interview with Kenneth Arnold
25 June, 1947

NEWSCASTER:

The nation, every newscaster, and every newspaper across the nation has made headlines out of it, and this afternoon we are honored, indeed, to have here in our studio this man, Kenneth Arnold, who, we believe, may be able to give us a first-hand account and give you the same on what happened.

Kenneth, first of all if you'll move up here to the microphone just a little closer, we'll ask you to just tell in your own fashion, as you told us last night in your hotel room, and again this morning, what you were doing there and how this entire thing started. Go ahead, Kenneth.

KENNETH ARNOLD:

Well, about 2:15 I took off from Chehalis, Washington, en route to Yakima, and, of course, every time that any of us fly over the country near Mt. Rainier, we spend an hour or two in search of the Marine plane that's never been found that they believe is in the snow someplace southwest of that particular area.

That area is located at about, it's elevation is about 10,000 foot, and I had made one sweep in close to Mt. Rainier and down one of the canyons and was dragging it for any types of objects that might prove to be the Marine ship, uh, and as I come out of the canyon there, was about 15 minutes, I was approximately 25 to 28 miles from Mt. Rainier, I climbed back up to 9200 feet and I noticed to the left of me a chain which looked to me like the tail of a Chinese kite, kind of weaving and going at a terrific speed across the face of Mt. Rainier.

I, at first, thought they were geese because it flew like geese, but it was going so fast that I immediately changed my mind and decided it was a bunch of new jet planes in formation.

Well, as the planes come to the edge of Mt. Rainier flying at about 160 degrees south, I thought I would clock them because it was such a clear day, and I didn't know where there destination was, but due to the fact that I had Mt. Saint Helens and Mt. Adams to clock them by, I just thought I'd see just how fast they were going, since among pilots we argue about speed so much.

And, they seemed to flip and flash in the sun, just like a mirror, and, in fact, I happened to be in an angle from the sun that seemed to hit the tops of these peculiar looking things in such a way that it almost blinded you when you looked at them through your plexiglass windshield.

Well, uh, I uh, it was about one minute to three when I started clocking them on my sweep second hand clock, and as I kept looking at them, I kept looking for their tails, and they didn't have any tail.

I thought, well, maybe something's wrong with my eyes and I turned the plane around and opened the window, and looked out the window, and sure enough, I couldn't find any tails on 'em.

And, uh, the whole, our observation of these particular ships, didn't last more than about two and a half minutes and I could see them only plainly when they seemed to tip their wing, or whatever it was, and the sun flashed on them.

They looked something like a pie plate that was cut in half with a sort of a convex triangle in the rear.

Now, I thought, well, that maybe they're jet planes with just the tails painted green or brown or something, and I didn't think too much of it, but kept on watching them.

They didn't fly in a conventional formation that's taught in our army, they seemed to kind of weave in and out right above the mountaintops, and I would say that they even went down into the canyons in several instances, oh, probably a hundred feet, but I could see them against the snow, of course, on Mt. Rainier and against the snow on Mt. Adams as they were flashing, and against a high ridge that happens to lay in between Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams.

But when I observed the tail end of the last one passing Mt. Adams, and I was at an angle near Mt. Rainier from it, but I looked at my watch and it showed one minute and 42 seconds.

Well, I felt that was pretty fast and I didn't stop to think what the distance was between the two mountains.

Well, I landed at Yakima, Washington, and Al Baxter was there to greet me and he said
...[unintelligible]...

And, he told me, I guess I better change my brand, but he kind of gave me a mysterious sort of a look that maybe I had seen something, he didn't know, and well, I just kind of forgot it then, until I got down to Pendleton and I began looking at my map and taking measurements on it.

And, the best calculation I could figure out, now even in spite of error, would be around 1200 miles an hour, because making the distance from Mt. Rainier to Mt. Adams, in, we'll say approximately two minutes, it's almost, well, it'd be around 25 miles per minute.

Now allowing for air, we can give them three minutes or four minutes to make it, and they're still going more than 800 miles an hour, and to my knowledge, there isn't anything that I've read about, outside of some of the German rockets, that would go that fast.

These were flying in more or less a level, constant altitude.

They weren't going up and they weren't going down.

They were just simply flying straight and level and I, I laughed ...[unintelligible]..., they sure must have had a tailwind.

But it didn't seem to help me much.

But to the best of my knowledge, and the best of my description, that is what I actually saw, and, uh, like I told the Associated Press, I'll, I'd be glad to confirm it with my hands on a Bible because I did see it, and whether it has anything to do with our army or our intelligence or whether it has to do with some foreign country, I don't know.

But I did see it and I did clock it and I just happened to be in a beautiful position to do it and it's just as much a mystery to me as it is to everyone else who's been calling me the last 24 hours, wondering what it was.

NEWSCASTER:

Well, Kenneth, thank you very much. I know that you've certainly been busy these last 24 hours, 'cause I've spent some of the time with you myself, and I know that the press associations, both Associated Press and our press, the United Press, has been right after you every minute.

The Associated and the United Press, all over the nation, have been after this story. It's been on every newscast, over the air, and in every newspaper I know of.

The United Press in Portland has made several telephone calls here at Pendleton to me, and to you this morning, and from New York I understand, they are after this story, and that we may have an answer ...[unintelligible]... because, if it is some new type of army or navy secret missile, there would probably a story come out on it from the army or navy asking, saying that it is a new secret plane and that will be all there is to it, and they will hush up the story, or perhaps that we will finally get a definite answer to it.

I understand the United Press is checking on it out of New York now with the Army, and also with the Navy, and we hope to have some concrete answer before nightfall.

We certainly want to thank you, Kenneth for coming into our studio.

We feel very pleased that this news which is making nationwide news across the country, we are able to give our listeners over KWRC a first-hand report direct from you, of what you saw.

And we urge our listeners to keep tuned to this station, because anytime this afternoon or this evening, and we get something on it on our United Press teletype, which is in direct communications with new York, Chicago, Portland, in fact, every United Press bureau across the nation, why, we'll have it on the air.
(End)

At the outset, Arnold personally describes how the objects, "looked something like a pie plate that was cut in half with a sort of a convex triangle in the rear".

Page 2 of 9

East Oregonian (Pendleton, Oregon)
25 June, 1947

Impossible! Maybe, But Seein' Is Believin', Says Flier

Kenneth Arnold, with the fire control at Boise and who was flying in southern Washington yesterday afternoon in search of a missing marine plane, stopped here en route to Boise today with an unusual story - which he doesn't expect people to believe but which he declared was true.

He said he sighted nine saucer-like aircraft flying in formation at 3. p.m. yesterday, extremely bright - as if they were nickel plated - and flying at an immense rate of speed. He estimated they were at an altitude between 9,500 and 10,000 feet and clocked them from Mt. Rainier to Mt. Adams, arriving at the amazing speed of about 1200 miles an hour.
(End)

The first reporters to interview Arnold were Bill Bequette and Nolan Skiff from the East Oregonian.

This article is attributed to Bill Bequette and the terminology 'saucer-like', originates herein.

Page 3 of 9

The News-Tribune, Duluth (Minnesota)
25 June, 1947

'Flying Saucers,' Up in Air 10,000 Feet, Puzzle Pilot

PENDLETON, Ore. (AP). -- Nine bright saucer-like objects flying at "incredible" speed at 10,000 feet altitude were reported here yesterday by Kenneth Arnold, Boise, Idaho, pilot, who said he could not hazard a guess as to what they were.

Arnold, a United States forest service employee engaged in a search for a missing plane said he sighted the mysterious objects Thursday at 3 p.m. They were flying between Mount Rainier and Mount Adams in Washington state, he said, and appeared to weave in and out of formation. Arnold said he clocked them and estimated their speed at 1,200 miles an hour.

Inquiry at Yakima (Wash.) brought only blank stares, he said, but he added he talked with an unidentified man from Ukiah (California) south of here, who said he had seen similar objects over the mountains near Ukiah Tuesday.

"It seems impossible," Arnold said, "but there it is."

In Washington, the War Department said it had no information on the Oregon sky mystery.

An Army spokesman expressed interest in any object which would fly at an estimated speed of 1,200 miles per hour, declaring, "As far as we know, nothing flies that fast except a V-2 rocket, which travels at about 3,500 miles an hour - and that's too fast to be seen."
(End)

It is the same Associated Press newsfeed.

However, originating from our 'saucer-like' phrase, this News-Tribune headline is the first use of the terminology 'flying saucer'.

Page 4 of 9

East Oregonian (Pendleton, Oregon)
26 June, 1947

Boise Flyer Maintains He Saw 'Em

Kenneth Arnold Sticks To Story of Seeing
Nine Mysterious Objects Flying At Speed
Of 1200 Miles An Hour Over Mountains

By BILL BEQUETTE

Kenneth Arnold, a six-foot, 200-pound flying Boise, Ida., business man, was about the only person today who believed he saw nine mysterious objects -- as big as four-engined airplanes -- whizzing over western Washington at 1200 miles an hour.

Army and civilian air experts either expressed polite incredulity or scoffed openly at Mr. Arnold's story, but the 32-year-old one time Minot, N.D. football star, clung to his story of shiny, flat objects racing over the Cascade mountains with a peculiar weaving motion "like the tail of a Chinese kite."

A CAA inspector in Portland, quoted by the Associated Press, said: "I rather doubt that anything would be traveling that fast."

A Washington, D.C., army spokesman was quoted as saying, "As far as we know, nothing flies that fast except a V-2 rocket, which travels at about 3500 miles an hour -- and that's too fast to be seen."

He added that there were no high-speed experimental tests being made in the area where Mr. Arnold reported seeing the mysterious objects.

The Boise man, who owns the Great Western fire control supply which handled automatic fire fighting systems, described the objects as "flat like a pie pan and somewhat bat-shaped" and so shiny they reflected the sun like a mirror.

He said the reflection was so brilliant that it blinded him "as if someone had started an arc light in front of my eyes."

Mr. Arnold reported he was flying east at 2:50 p.m. Tuesday toward Mt. Rainier when the objects appeared directly in front of him 25-30 miles away at about 10,000 feet altitude.

By his plane's clock he timed them at 1:42 minutes for the 50 miles between Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. He said he later figured their speed by triangulation at "about 1200 miles an hour."

He admitted he might have erred 200-300 miles in his figuring but added "they still were the fastest things I ever saw."

When first sighted, he thought the objects were snow geese.

"But geese don't fly that high -- and, anyway, what would geese be doing going south for this time of year?"

Next he thought they were jet planes. He said he had heard so many stories of the speed of this type of craft traveled so he determined to clock them.

However, he quickly realized "their motion was wrong for jet jobs."

"I guess I don't know what they were -- unless they were guided missiles," he said.

"Everyone says I'm nuts," he added ruefully, "and I guess I'd say it too if someone else reported those things. But I saw them and watched them closely."

"It seems impossible -- but there it is."

Mr. Arnold, who flies 60 to 100 hours monthly throughout five western states, said he was 25-30 miles west of Mt. Rainier, en route from Chehalis to Yakima, when he sighted the objects.

He explained that he had been cruising around the western slope of the mountain in hope of seeing a marine corps plane, missing since last January.

"I heard there was a $10,000 reward offered to anyone who locates it," he added.

He said the "planes" remained visible by the flashes of reflected sunlight for some seconds after they passed Mt. Adams, perhaps for as far away as 50 miles.

Mr. Arnold admitted the angle from which he viewed the objects would make difficult precise estimation of their speed, but insisted any error would not be grave "for that speed."

The DC-4 was closer than the objects, but at 14,000 feet and somewhat north of him. He said he could estimate the distance of the objects better because an intervening peak once blocked his view of them. He found the peak was 25 miles away, he related.

The Boise flyer said they flew on the west sides of Rainier and Adams, adding that he believed this would make it more difficult for them to be seen from the ground.

He said he "measured" the formation by a snow-covered ridge over which they passed and estimated the "train" was five miles long.

He said that at first he thought the window of his plane might be causing the reflections, but that he still saw the objects after rolling it down.

He also described the objects as "saucer-like" and their motion "like a fish flipping in the sun.".

Mostly, he said, he was surprised at the way they twisted just above the higher peaks, almost appearing to be threading their way along the mountain ridge line.

"No orthodox plane would be flying like that," he commented.

"Ten thousand feet is very low for anything going at that speed."

Mr. Arnold was flying a three-passenger, single-engined plane at 9200 feet at the time, he reported. His speed was about 110 miles an hour.

The Boise man, who is married and has two children, landed here yesterday and said he would remain another day or two before returning to Boise.

He described himself as a "fire control engineer" and emphasized he is not employed by the forest service but is a free-lance contractor.
(End)

This seems to be the first description of the objects being, "flat like a pie pan and somewhat bat-shaped".

Page 5 of 9

Albuquerque Journal [Morning Edition]
26 June, 1947

Strange Things Seen Flying High, 1200 Miles an Hour by U. S. Pilot

PENDLETON, Ore, June 25 (AP) Nine bright, saucer-like objects flying at "incredible" speed at 10,000 feet altitude were reported here today by Kenneth Arnold, Boise, Ida., pilot who said he could not hazard a guess as to what they were.

Arnold a United States Forest Service employe engaged in searching for a missing plane, said he sighted the mystery craft yesterday at 3 p. m.

They were flying between Mount Rainier and Mount Adams, in Washington State, he said, and appeared to weave in and out of formation. Arnold said he clocked them and estimated their speed at 1.200 miles and hour.

Inquired at Yakima last night. brought only blank stares, he said, but he added he talked today with an unidentified man froh Ukiah, south of here, who said he had similar objects over seen the mountains near Ukiah yesterday.

Arnold said he clocked the time the objects took to fly from Mount Rainier to Mount Adams, and from that estimated their speed at 1200 miles an hour. He said they appeared to fly almost as if fastened together - if one dipped, the others did, too.

After the incident, he said, he talked to other pilots when he landed at Yakima, Wash., but none of them had seen anything similar.

Recently, there have been several "mystery missile" reports. One which fell on the Hill Military Academy grounds in Portland later was attributed to a thaw blowing out an ice cap from a hollowed-out piece of metal. On another occasion a nurse in Vancouver, Wash., found a red-hot egg-shaped object. Some ad vanced the theory it was a meteor fragment, but geologists said it was not of meteorite composition. It never has been explained satisfactorily.

In Washington, the War Department said it had no information on the Oregon sky mystery. "As far as we know, nothing flies that fast except a V-2 rocket, which travels at about 3500 miles an hour - and that's too fast to be seen," said a spokesman.
(End)

This 25 June newsfeed, seems to be a first mention that the objects, "appeared to fly almost as if fastened together - if one dipped, the others did, too".

Page 6 of 9

At the outset, Arnold personally describes how the objects, "looked something like a pie plate that was cut in half with a sort of a convex triangle in the rear".
That could almost describe some of the top secret planes that have been built since WWII.
Maybe something like this:
ArnoldUFO.png

Last edited:
Lubbock Morning Avalanche
26 June, 1947

Nine Strange Planes, Flying at Estimated Speed of 1,200 Miles An Hour, Said Sighted

PENDLETON, Ore., June 26, (U.P.) -
Residents of Pendleton sought an explanation today for the nine strange "saucer-shaped" planes an amateur pilot claimed he saw flying at an estimated speed of 1,200 miles an hour across South western Washington.

The story was told by Kenneth Arnold, flying fire extinguisher salesman from Boise, Ida. Slightly bug-eyed, he landed here yesterday and said he spotted the "extremely shiny, nickel-plated aircraft" skimming along at 10,000 feet on Tuesday. Arnold was on a search for a missing Marine corps plane at the time.

"They were shaped like saucers and were so thin I could barely see them," he told Jack Whitman, a local businessman.

"There were nine of them and they were flying in a screwy formation about twenty-five miles away from me. It wasn't any military formation I ever saw before. And they were traveling faster than anything I ever saw before.

"I figure they were moving about 1,200 miles per hour because I clocked them with a stop watch during the time it took for them to fly from Mount Rainier to Mount Adams. That's 42 miles and they made it one minute 42 seconds - about 1,205 mph".

Arnold said the strange aircraft were skittering across the south-west slope of Mount Rainier when he first sighted them.

Whitman suggested tactfully that Arnold had "been seeing things" but the pilot insisted "I must believe my eyes".

There was no comment from military authorities on Arnold's story.
(End)

This United Press newsfeed seems to be the first time 'saucer-shaped' appears, as opposed to 'saucer-like'.

Although implying Arnold used the depiction, the quote is not directly from Arnold, instead, purportedly a second-hand recollection from a local resident, Jack Whitman.

""They were shaped like saucers and were so thin I could barely see them," he told Jack Whitman, a local businessman".

Page 7 of 9

The Idaho Daily Statesman
28 June, 1947

Boise Airman Positive He Didn't See Ordinary Craft Reflections

Kenneth Arnold, Boise business man and pilot who startled the nation with a story of nine objects flying at incredible speed between Mt. Rainier and Mt, Adams in Washington, Friday said he is positive he was not just seeing sunlight reflected from a conventional aircraft.

Arnold's story of seeing the nine objects, flashing in the sun, had caused some authorities to express the belief that what he had seen were ordinary aircraft or one aircraft with the sun flashing from the fuselage as the planes or plane passed through the air.

But Arnold, who returned Friday to his home on the bench above Bradley airport, said he saw outlined against the snow on Mt. Rainier a single-file line of the flying objects.

Arnold said the objects bore some resemblance to the flying wing type of aircraft, with the exception that the forward portion was semi-circular and the rear, or trailing edge came to a convex point, not sharp, but blunted.

He said if the object were placed over a DC-4, a four-engined transport plane, the extreme edges of the object would just about reach the outboard engines on each side of the big plane.

Arnold said when he first saw the objects, they were coming in a line around Mt. Rainier from the north. As he saw them against the snow of the mountain, and saw the sun reflecting individually from the objects, he said he thought they were jet aircraft.

Then," he said, "I noticed they had no tails, and that's when I really began to pay attention to them. The sun did not flash from all of them at once, that's how I knew there were more than one object and that they were separate flying things. The sun would sparkle from the first, then the last, then one in the middle, and so on, as they flew toward Mt. Adams."

Whatever the first object did, he said, the others did also. The result, he said, was a weaving flight path which enabled him to see the overall outline of the objects against the white side of the mountain. Flying level, he said, the objects looked like a thin black line, but when they turned and changed course in the turn, the resulting bank made it possible for him to see their shape.

Arnold said he could not say what they were. "Some of the newspaper reporters I talked to in Pendleton wanted me to express an opinion, but I couldn't do that because I don't know what they were."

Arnold said no military or federal authorities had talked to him. He said he tried to contact the FBI in Pendleton, but found the office in the postoffice "always locked." He said he put a note under the door asking the agent to call him, but got no response.

"If I were a military or other authority and something like this was reported," he said, "I would try to find out all I could about it."

Arnold's report was followed by other stories from across the nation west of the Mississippi that people had seen similar objects. The latest report was from Emmett, in a letter signed by a woman who asked her name not be published if the letter were quoted.

She said on the same day Arnold saw the objects, she saw shiny objects in the sky due east of Emmett "at what appeared to be quite a distance and height." She said the "shiny objects" were "weaving and circling very rapidly in formation... and after a while they dispersed in all directions."

Arnold, who is a pilot of considerable experience in flying over mountainous country, since he has flown patrol for the forest service, said that on Tuesday, June 24, he left Chehalis, Wash., for Yakima at 2:15 p. m. The object of his flight, he said, was to hunt for a Marine corps transport which has been missing with 32 men aboard since Christmas eve. He flew toward the south side of Mt. Rainier, he said, and had reached an altitude of 9200 feet near Mineral, 35 miles east of Chehalis, He said he made a turn to continue a phase of the search, and toward Fairfax, 25 miles northeast of him, he saw the objects for the first time.

Arnold said they were in a "chain" formation, and were weaving. "At first," he said, "I thought they were geese. Then I said, there couldn't be any geese at this altitude, and then I began to realize how far away the objects were."

Arnold said he watched in amazement as the objects flew past Mt. Rainier, traversed his line-of-sight distance between Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams in less than two minutes, and vanished with an occasional flash of the sun still twinkling in the clear air.
(End)

This article features a clear description of the objects appearance and how, reportedly:

"Arnold said the objects bore some resemblance to the flying wing type of aircraft, with the exception that the forward portion was semi-circular and the rear, or trailing edge came to a convex point, not sharp, but blunted".

Page 8 of 9

Last edited:
In a 1950 radio interview, Arnold recalled:

"These objects more or less fluttered like they were, oh, I'd say, boats on very rough water or very rough air of some type, and when I described how they flew, I said that they flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water. Most of the newspapers misunderstood and misquoted that too. They said that I said that they were saucer-like; I said that they flew in a saucer-like fashion".

http://www.project1947.com/fig/kamurrow.htm

This remains indeterminable, as discussed with Bill Bequette.

An Interview with Bill Bequette
By Pierre Lagrange
International UFO Reporter, Winter 1998

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw14SC0vy2U9ZUEp9DJWSfyO

It is possible to trace key elements of how in that nascent period - and specifically only looking back at those earliest days - we arrived at 'flying saucers' and as this is essentially a discussion exercise, only concerned with inherent documentation, please do not hesitate to note a necessary correction, or suggest a further elemental source.

Page 9 of 9

Arnold recalled the synonym, not a situation where he only first used it some three years later.
Arnold was such an unreliable witness I wouldn't trust a word he said, especially years after the event.

As copiously evidenced, Kenneth Arnold did not observe a 'flying saucer', let alone nine of them.
How can his report of "saucer-like object" and "big flat disk" not be taken as a flying saucer sighting?

Arnold said ever since he reported his sighting, in late June, 1947, the news media had implied that Arnold saw circular, saucer-shaped craft. Not so. Arnold said the mysterious craft were shaped like crescents and appeared smooth except for glass-like circles on top.
Arnold only spoke later of one wing-like crescent. He did not mention to anyone that a 9th object might have differed until telling this privately to the two AAF officers Brown and Davidson on July 31 1947. In 1952 he explained why he did not mention this in his original report, as it had been an impression too uncertain even to mention to his wife. He would not have said this if he had told reporters about a bat(chiroptera)-shaped crescent as early as June 25 1947.

If he really did see crescent-shaped objects why did he not describe them as "somewhat bird-shaped"?

Arnold said the confusion probably stemmed from the fact that he told an EO reporter that day 30 years ago that the craft looked "like saucers skipping across water." Thus was born the phrase "flying saucers."
Arnold never used the "skipping saucers" simile until three years after his sighting.

You so remind of myself... once upon a time, I too championed the exact same evidence.
I'm not championing anything, especially flying saucers, I just find it frustrating hearing the same story. Even UFO believers repeat the Arnold story without questioning it.

This changed.... I kinda know a bit about the case...
Have you read Martin Shough's Arnold article 2? You're even quoted in it!

Has our respective posts possibly croseed-over!

I think you will find answers to the points you raise in my summary post.

The objective of which was simply to document the earliest media coverage and genesis of the various terminologies.

It's not addressing any interpretations of what Arnold might have observed, which is a different matter entirely.

For sure and I am going to have a look at it again shortly - will be interesting to see how it now correlates, or otherwise, with the summary documentation I have highlighted.

Although I was familiar with most of it, there were some aspects new to myself and a couple of things which need thinking through, especially regarding Arnold's sole calculation of the objects' airspeed.

It was that, more than anything, which suggested those nine objects were radically different from anything known.

I have now had a further study of Martin Shough's phenomenal research publication and it's been something of a revelation.

Although I had seen his comments regarding my Fortean Times (FT137) cover article, I had not read all of Martin's publication.

He writes:

"In 1997, researcher Martin Kottmeyer attempted to locate some suitable feature near Arnold's estimated "9,200ft" horizon level and reported the "neat little surprise" that no such feature existed on the west side of the mountain.

Kottmeyer mentioned the peaks earlier discussed by McDonald and Arnold, only to dismiss them as far too low for the purpose. The only candidate at the right altitude seemed to be Little Tahoma, at about 10,000ft, but it was on the wrong (SE) side of the mountain, and Arnold's objects, passing west of the mountain, could not have flown behind it.

Kottmeyer speculated that the apparent occultation had been an illusion.

Following Kottmeyer, James Easton later reasoned like this: If Little Tahoma is the only possible feature behind which Arnold could have seen the objects apparently vanish, and if it is geometrically impossible for this to have happened, then Arnold must really have seen them pass in front of Little Tacoma and all other parts of Mt Rainier, in which case the objects might have been many miles closer than he thought, therefore very much smaller, and very much slower.

Three months later Easton circulated what purported to be photographic proof of the identity of Arnold's peak: Two photographs clearly showing Little Tahoma standing proud of the shoulder of Mt Rainier, one of which "seems to have been taken from the same [Arnold's] perspective."

The logic is unassailable, but the premises of the argument are flawed. The premise that the "jagged peak" must be at 9,200(± 1000)ft is invalid because it is based on an improper understanding of the terrestrial horizon dip angle...".
(End)

Grateful that at least my logic was unassailable, I stopped reading there, because I simply did not understand the technical side of things Martin went on to elaborate!

However, I did not, until now, realise Martin later revisits the American White Pelicans hypothesis.

"Easton apparently did not publish a geometrical analysis, but countered qualitative criticism in a merely qualitative way by pointing out that this is sensitive to Arnold's exact flightpath, and that there are too many uncertainties in the record to be sure of it:

(Start)
"It has become clear there are discrepancies and inconsistencies in Arnold's various accounts, which is perhaps only to be expected and especially over time.

One major question is where and when Arnold first observed the objects. According to the testimony frequently cited, his letter to the Air Force, he was heading on a course toward Yakima and had been for "two or three minutes".

It has sometimes been mistakenly assumed he was on route to Yakima, which was his ultimate destination, however, at this time Arnold was still engaged on a search for the missing C-46 transporter and confirmed he continued with that search after his sighting.

Alternatively, in his book, Arnold claims the incident occurred, "during this search and while making a turn of 180 degrees over Mineral, Washington, at approximately 9200 feet altitude" and in his much later 1977, 'UFO Symposium' speech, reiterated the sighting began when "I made a turn at probably 2000ft over Mineral, Washington and started climbing back slowly but steadily, climbing to gain sufficient altitude to go back on the high plateau again for another pass at this mountain. As I was making this turn and of course flying directly toward Mt. Rainier, at about 9200 ft elevation..."

So, was he, for some reason, heading slightly south of east towards Yakima and had been for 2-3 minutes, or was he heading north-east from Mineral towards Mt. Rainier, continuing his search"?
(End)

Easton is correct that answers to these questions make a significant difference to the pelican hypothesis".

We are talking 20 years ago!

Nonetheless, does anything change when now looking further back to those earliest newspaper reports.

Two points which stand out are the following:

Associated Press newsfeed
25 June

"He said they appeared to fly almost as if fastened together - if one dipped, the others did, too".

28 June

"Whatever the first object did, he said, the others did also. The result, he said, was a weaving flight path...".

If I had seen this before publication of the FT137 article, I would have been all over it.

Here, whether coincidentally or otherwise, Arnold is describing how a squadron (correct terminology) of American White Pelicans fly in their undulating formation - taking their cue from the one in front:

"A flock of migrating American White Pelicans is a majestic sight-a long line of ponderous birds, flapping and coasting.

Each bird seems to take its cue from the one in front of it, beginning to flap and starting a glide when its predecessor does".

Does Arnold also confirm a 'flapping and gliding' characteristic.. think I might have mentioned this in my article, Arnold recalling in his book:

“Another characteristic of these craft that made a tremendous impression on me was how they
fluttered and sailed, tipping their wings alternately and emitting those very bright blue-white flashes from their surface.”

I shall have a further good look at these archive news reports as they do contain a fair amount of detail regarding the issues Martin was attempting to, I dare say likewise, unravel.

I wonder if anything therein is a significant clue and perhaps previously unfamiliar. I note, for example that in the 25 June radio interview, Arnold reportedly says:

"...but due to the fact that I had Mt. Saint Helens and Mt. Adams to clock them by...". not Mt. Rainler and Mt. Adams, as he relates elsewhere.

... At the outset, Arnold personally describes how the objects, "looked something like a pie plate that was cut in half with a sort of a convex triangle in the rear".

Don't forget that Arnold himself drew a sketch and included it in his written report of 12 July. Here's the page that holds his drawing and his signature - both in his own hand.

index.php

I was pretty sure I had mentioned this sketch before and it's appearance within a generic VHS tape about 'UFOs', some 20 years ago.

There was a short segment about the Arnold case and this image, with no attribution, briefly came up on screen.

Ever since, I have tried to track down the source. It doesn't register on any reverse image search.

I decided to have one final attempt and having literally spend around 6 hours in what seemed another futile attempt...

I believe I have now found the origin and an explanation why it has proved so elusive.

If correct, I also suspect it was Arnold's attempt to explain something which is referenced in the earliest newspaper accounts and has quite extraordinarily only just been discussed, namely:

28 June, 1947

"Whatever the first object did, he said, the others did also. The result, he said, was a weaving flight path which enabled him to see the overall outline of the ob jects against the white side of the mountain. Flying level, he said, the objects looked like a thin black line, but when they turned and changed course in the turn, the resulting bank made it possible for him to see their shape".

Compress_20211211_034845_5016.jpg

This is potentially of immense significance, because it might be the sketch referenced here:

The Singular Adventure of Mr Kenneth Arnold
Martin Shough
June 2010 (revised July 2010)

www.forteanmedia.com/Martin_Shough.jpg

I can't be absolutely certain if it is the same one which exists in the 'History Channel' YouTube video Martin provides a link to, as that link looks to be obsolete.

Needs some more work, however, I would be confident this is the sketch drawn by Arnold, shortly after his landing, or next day and you can't ask for more definitive evidence than that.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Arnold himself drew a sketch and included it in his written report of 12 July. Here's the page that holds his drawing and his signature - both in his own hand.
I wasn't going to touch on anything later than those earliest accounts.

It does indeed become slightly more involved and they are complex enough!

However, as you will note, there h6 been a new development and it potentially changes everything.

More on which, shortly. :)

It does seem this is the Arnold sketch, which Martin Shough ciites as providing the basis for IUR's cover illustration:

Compress_20211211_034845_5016.jpg

Compress_20211211_053635_5900.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 49105

This is potentially of immense significance, because it might be the sketch referenced here:
The Singular Adventure of Mr Kenneth Arnold
Martin Shough June 2010 (revised July 2010)
www.forteanmedia.com/Martin_Shough.jpg
I can't be absolutely certain if it is the same one which exists in the 'History Channel' YouTube video Martin provides a link to, as that link looks to be obsolete.
Needs some more work, however, I would be confident this is the sketch drawn by Arnold, shortly after his landing, or next day and you can't ask for more definitive evidence than that.

No ... That is not the sketch that Shough is discussing at that point in his document. Shough is discussing a sketch for which there's a tangible specimen - a sketch that was definitely done by Arnold on a manila envelope which eventually ended up in CUFOS' files.

Go to the page immediately following the page upon which the above sketch appears. Shough provides an image of this sketch on the manila envelope. Here's the image ...

Arnold-ManilaEnvelopeSketch.jpg

As Shough discusses both before and after the presentation of this image, it's unclear how old it may be. Shough's best interpretation is that:
The upshot is that it's almost certainly pre-1977ish, possibly pre-1970 although not necessarily, but no one knows of any actual evidence for the claim that it was done in Arnold's hotel room on about June 25 1947. In the absence of any source for this claim the story should be regarded as merely a rumour.

The manila envelope drawing isn't the one I find the most interesting ...

Shough refers to the infographic, which includes an image that is alleged to show (albeit only partially) a sketch that Arnold hand-drew upon a carbon copy of his early July 1947 report to the Air Force - a copy submitted to the FBI. Here's the image ...

470827?-FBI-SketchAddon.jpg

Most of the image shows the earliest version of Arnold's reported shape - the large shovel-shape near the center. If you follow the red arrow you'll see what appears to be a truncated image of the 'double-crescent' or 'bat-a-rang' shape that Arnold would later emphasize.

NOTE: This document did not originally include the handwritten notes Arnold had made on the copy submitted to the Air Force. All these handwritten addenda were annotated on the FBI copy.

So the story goes ... When Arnold was interviewed by Davidson and Smith he "suddenly remembered" one of the objects had a discernibly different shape from the others. This single alternate shape was the crescent with the dual curved concavities on its trailing edge.

NOTE: It appears to me that Arnold's written annotation says this second / unique shape pertained to the "second from last" (object in the train of objects he observed).

The page on which Arnold added this hand-drawn addendum was trimmed or cut when being prepared for archiving, leaving only the double curves of the trailing edge intact and visible.

In other words, Arnold first introduced the 'bat-a-rang' shape as pertaining to a single object in the Davidson / Smith interview, and this fragmentary sketch submitted to the FBI represents the earliest known documentation of that change. Prior to this time Arnold had described all 9 objects as being uniformly shaped.

Read that section of Shough's document for all the gory details - it's a mini-mystery all by itself.

Even later, Arnold would drift toward describing all 9 objects as the newer (bat-a-rang) shape, or else remain vague about the shape details.

This evolution of Arnold's shape descriptions is, of course, the primary focus of both Shough's document and the 2019 infographic.

Last edited:
Back