• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Arrested For Burping, Spilling Milk, Etc.

A Texas mom is standing up for her 15-year-old son who was suspended after helping a classmate who was suffering from an asthma attack, KCEN reports.

Anthony Ruelas said that on Tuesday morning, his eighth grade classmate sat in class wheezing and gagging for three minutes while no one did anything. Fed up of waiting, Anthony moved to help, apparently breaking the rules.

“He may not follow instructions all the time, but he does have a great heart,” Mandy Cortes said of her son.

Anthony attends Gateway Middle School, an alternative school in Killeen, Texas, and has been in trouble before. But this time, Cortes said, his heart was in the right place, even if she didn’t see it at first.

“I wasn't trying to hear it,” the mom admitted. When she went to pick him up for the suspension, she cut him off, saying, “No, they already told me what happened, you walked out of class. And he was like, ‘OK forget it,’ but I can tell, you know you know your kids, I could tell he was upset.”

After Anthony was given a chance to explain, he said he walked out because he was carrying a friend to the nurse’s office.

“I was like what? I’m suspended for this? Like, I was trying to help her,” he explained.

Anthony said that the teacher was waiting for an email from the school nurse and told the class to remain calm in their seats, even as the girl gasped for air. The girl eventually fell out of her chair. Fearing for his classmate, Anthony ignored the order after several minutes of inaction, defying the teacher.

According to KCEN, the referral form from the teacher read: “During fifth period another student complained that she couldn’t breathe and was having an asthma attack. As I waited for a response from the nurse, the student fell out of her chair to the floor. Anthony proceeded to go over and pick her up, saying, ‘F—k that, we ain’t got time to wait for no email from the nurse.’ He walks out of class and carries the other student to the nurse.”

“I broke rules but she needed help,” Anthony insisted.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/new...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

He was quite right! Well done that boy!

So easy to distinguish from the twenty pseudo-emergencies the teacher was presented with in the same class?

:confused:

A kid is having an asthmatic attack and the teacher sanctions another student for coming to her aid? You think thats acceptable?

It's not often I say that a story about an asthma attack made my day, but it truly did. Very very funny and well written. An OP has never been so proud of his own thread.

It's unclear if this is the same case as reported further up the thread in 2013, or just a very similar one. Maybe it's a thing in Albuquerque to allege drug use/transactions as a method of justifying a punitive strip search?

The earlier link 404s so not so easy to check.

According to George Washington University law professor, Jonathan Turley, the boy was acting like a class clown, doing what many class clowns do: disrupting class. Because of his loud burps, his teacher, Margaret Mines-Hornbeck, reported the boy to Officer Arthur Acosta. The seventh grader was then taken to an administrative office after being searched for drugs, as the assistant principal accused the 13-year-old of participating in a marijuana transaction.

During the search, the boy was asked to remove his jeans and shoes, then flip the waistband of the shorts he had been wearing underneath. This was all in vain considering no drugs were found.

After the traumatizing experience, the boy was suspended for the remainder of the year, all because he burped too loud. But sure enough, that wasn’t the end of it.

Making matters even worse, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit decided to uphold the Albuquerque school officials’ action by claiming police and school leadership were justified in sending the 13-year-old to juvenile jail.

That’s right. The courts ruled it’s okay to send a child to jail for being a class clown.

The artile also reference the clock 'bomb' case that's above, and this, which I hadn't heard of before:

More recently, Professor Turley reports, a series of students have been suspended or expelled over comments they made on social media websites, making us wonder why “[t]eachers and administrators have been criminalizing juvenile conduct rather than dealing with such issues with the students and their teachers.”

Anonymous

A 6-year-old girl in Chicago was handcuffed under the stairs at her school for more than an hour when a security guard decided he was "teaching her a f------ lesson," a lawsuit charges.

The security guard at Fernwood Elementary School punished Marlena Wordlow's daughter in March by handcuffing her near the school's boilers. Other students had told the security guard that little Madisyn had stolen a piece of candy, but her mother said it was part of her lunch.

Wordlow's lawyer Jeffrey Granich filed a lawsuit against the Chicago Board of Education and security guard Divelle Yarbrough on Thursday, alleging excessive force, false imprisonment and emotional distress.

Granich, a parent to a young child, told the Daily News that if this happened to his family, "I would need a lawyer. I probably wouldn't have filed a federal lawsuit, I probably would have done something else." ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

I can't remember if I've posted this before but a teacher once tried to give me a detention for farting loudly during class. My mum put a stop to it though. :rolleyes:

A 6-year-old girl in Chicago was handcuffed under the stairs at her school for more than an hour when a security guard decided he was "teaching her a f------ lesson," a lawsuit charges.

Am I alone in being surprised at the necessity of a security guard at a primary school?

This is bonkers on a number of levels, so someone goes in an alley and splits your bin liner open, or maybe it splits while being removed, an envelope falls out and you're in trouble with the law, even if you're only 2:

A two-year-old Washington DC girl found herself on the wrong side of the law after a city employee recently recovered an envelope with her name on it in an alleyway.

The envelope, which had likely fell out of a trash bag, was addressed to the little girl. As a result, a $75 citation was sent to her home with city officials saying the fact that it was found on the ground constituted littering.

The officials apparently didn’t attempt to look into the address or name on the envelope however. Consequently, it turned out that the letter was found directly behind the little girl’s house where her family leave their trash bins.

“She’s not a criminal. The ironic thing is that we talk to her all the time about picking up her trash,” the girl’s father, Chuck Westover said. “Just because you find a piece of mail on the ground, obviously doesn’t mean that person was the one that put it there.”

At least good sense did prevail eventually in this case:

After receiving the citation in the mail, the girl’s mother made some calls to the Department of Public Works – who issued the citation – but initial attempts to get the ticket thrown out because of her daughter’s age were unsuccessful.

The woman then spoke with the Department of Public Work’s communications director who told her to send over a copy of the girl’s birth certificate in order to confirm her age.

“She told me they’d be willing to withdraw the ticket or dismiss it, or whatever word you’d like to use, if I could prove to them that Harper was only 2,” the little girl’s mother said.

Before that could occur however, news of the ticket surfaced leading to an investigation by the Department of Public Works that ultimately resulted in the toddler being cleared.

CopBlock

Good sense prevailed the other day (or unpaid extra labour depending on how you look at it) when a couple of bin men removed an abandoned sofa from next to our work place ...

I think the two youths meant well, they'd found it, wanted it and dumped it in front of our shop ... so I asked them nicely to move it which they did .. and then dumped it next to the church next door which would have then been the people asked for the £45 or so to have it removed ..

My boss appealed to the bin men's better nature (or perhaps slipped them a tenner or something?) to get rid of it which they did ..

The youths came in last night asking where there sofa was and one was most unhappy after I explained to him about the concept of fly tipping, what it means in UK law and how he was lucky that we covered for him. Apparently he thinks fly tipping isn't illegal if you're going to pick it up sometime later :bananas:.. bless him ..

The "Clock Boy" furore from 18 months or so again rumbles on. It seems Ahmed did not get his money.

The ‘Clock Boy’ Defamation Suit Was Tossed Out in a Victory for Free Speech

Free speech won a victory in Texas on Tuesday when a judge dismissed a defamation lawsuit by Mohamed Mohamed, father of the “Clock Boy,” Ahmed Mohamed, against me, my employer — the Center for Security Policy — Fox News, Glenn Beck, and others including the mayor of Irving, Texas. The suit claimed that in the course of discussing Ahmed Mohamed’s bringing a device resembling a bomb to his school, we had defamed Ahmed and his family. This was nonsense and the suit contained no actual evidence of defamation, which the judge affirmed, citing the Texas statute prohibiting Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation (SLAPP).

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/443838/clock-boy-lawsuit-free-speech-victory

Bit of a SLAPP in the face for him.

There was a scam going on in Fleetwood some time back were a sofa and chairs
would appear over night in your garden later someone would call and offer to remove
rubbish for a fee I saw that sofa all over the town must have made a fortune.
Were kids doing this?

There was a scam going on in Fleetwood some time back were a sofa and chairs
would appear over night in your garden later someone would call and offer to remove
rubbish for a fee I saw that sofa all over the town must have made a fortune.

I heard rumours about that.
Only eyewitness report described a man in a mac lurking among some bare trees.

In prison for doodling on a picture of the president.

Three Burundi schoolgirls arrested for allegedly scribbling on President Pierre Nkurunziza's photo have been released.

The girls were charged with "insulting the head of state" last Monday and could face up to five years in prison. Their lawyer Nyanzira Prosper told the BBC the girls have been freed on bail until they appear in court. Mr Prosper said their charges still stand and prosecutors will continue to investigate them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47720542

Coimpletely OTT.

Newly released body camera footage from the arrest of a 6-year-old girl at an Orlando school shows an officer placing zip ties on the girl’s wrists as she begs to be let go.

A family attorney representing the Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy student released the footage Tuesday of the incident, which occurred in September 2019. The footage, shared with NBC affiliate WESH in Orlando, shows officer Dennis Turner tying the 6-year-old’s wrists and closing his squad car door on her as she cries to be set free.

“What are those for?” the child cries as Turner reveals his zip ties.“It’s for you,” the officer responds.

In another clip, the student is seen begging Turner to release her as he sits her in his squad car.

“Please let me go!” she pleads in the video. Turner closes the door on her shortly after that.

A police report from Sept. 19 alleges the student who was restrained kicked and punched three staff members at her school, and claims one of the staff members wished to press charges.

A public relations representative for the Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy said the claims in the report were false.

“We care about the well-being of our students,” representative Sara Brady said in the statement. “The officer’s statements are inaccurate. We did not ask for either student to be arrested neither did we want to pursue criminal charges.”

In the clip, school authorities can be heard asking Turner if it was necessary for him to place zip ties on the child.
“Yes,” Turner says. “And if she were bigger, she would’ve been wearing regular handcuffs.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-footage-shows-orlando-officer-zip-tying-6-year-old-girl-and-arresting-her-at-school_n_5e5566d1c5b64c1d5620d201

Three adult members of staff couldn't handle a six-year-old girl?

Bonkers.

So she should be allowed to punch and kick who she wants when she wants without being shocked into thinking twice next time? .. as long as the zip ties didn't cause her an injury and/or she hasn't been diagnosed with any mental health problems?.. don't go around punching and hitting people, better she learns now than when she's a teenager or an adult. Has her Mum and/or Dad been fighting in front of her?.

Back