• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

So by implication, it's OK if a man does similar to an unfaithful wife?
Even though the anger is understandable, neither of these scenarios would be acceptable behaviours.
Not at all and you know it. :chuckle:

So by implication, it's OK if a man does similar to an unfaithful wife?
Even though the anger is understandable, neither of these scenarios would be acceptable behaviours.
Under those circumstances Mytho, I believe it's traditional for him to then go on to shag his wife's Sister, perhaps Mother or possibly Daughter in a twisted ill advised revenge should she be of legal age and eager. The same rules apply when a man is the unfaithful one. Except women are better at pulling than men are so she'll have probably got through half of his mates and family within a month.

Under those circumstances Mytho, I believe it's traditional for him to then go on to shag his wife's Sister, perhaps Mother or possibly Daughter in a twisted ill advised revenge should she be of legal age and eager. The same rules apply when a man is the unfaithful one. Except women are better at pulling than men are so she'll have probably got through half of his mates and family within a month.
:dunno:
Traditional? Oh, you're talking about Norfolk.

:chuckle:

women are better at pulling than men
I'll have you know that no woman can resist my smoking jacket and revolving disco lederhosen. And I've had at least 1½ girlfriends. Well, friends who were girls. Well, I knew them...almost.

Yithian: The topic, my friends, the thread topic.
Bloomin' kids. Today. Or something.

1704482070312.png

19 extractors removed from container Rotterdam, first time woman also caught

Employees of the seaport police and customs have removed 19 drug extractors from a container in Rotterdam. Six of them are minors and for the first time, a female trafficker has also been arrested.

The youngest suspect is 14. A 14-year-old suspected trafficker was also arrested two days ago.

Seaport police say the suspects were apprehended in a 'Trojan container'. This refers to a container without cargo in which extractors allow themselves to be brought onto the port premises so that once inside, they can extract drugs from other containers.

Six of the caught outliers have Belgian nationality. A truck driver from Bosnia was also arrested.

Intractable

Youths taking smuggled drugs from containers at the port of Rotterdam are a persistent problem. Figures for the past year are not yet available, but they are expected to be many more than in 2022, when 251 outliers were caught. According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, they are mostly young people from vulnerable families.

'Trojan containers', also known as 'hotel containers', are used more often. The youngsters sometimes spend days in them, with sleeping bags, a chemical toilet and a bag full of food. Once at the port site, they break out of their containers and take the smuggled drugs from other containers, out of sight of the surveillance cameras that are much more often focused on the fences at the outer edge of the site.

'More young women in emergency room after self-injury or suicide attempt'

Self-injury is a growing problem among teenage girls and women up to 30 years old. The number of admissions to the emergency room because of self-inflicted injury or attempted suicide has increased by 50 per cent in nine years, writes the Volkskrant.

"This is an alarm signal," professor of child and adolescent psychiatry Arne Popma tells the newspaper. "That some young people are doing so badly that they take action." Performance pressure, reinforced by social media, he gives as a possible explanation for the worrying trend.

In 2013, 4,000 young women ended up in the emergency room because of self-harm or a suicide attempt. In 2022, there were 6,000. Almost half of them were admitted to hospital after treatment in the emergency room. The newspaper relies on an analysis by VeiligheidNL at the request of the 113 Suicide Prevention Foundation.

Previous research shows that about three-quarters of the cases involved a suspected suicide attempt. The rest of the cases involved self-harm.

Anxious or unhappy
Recent research by Utrecht University and the Trimbos Institute also contained worrying conclusions about mental health of girls and young women. Almost half of all high school girls fret a lot, are easily anxious and often feel unhappy. Among boys, these are far fewer: 14 per cent.

The mental state of young people has suffered from coronalockdowns. Two years later, although loneliness has decreased, a significant proportion of students still struggle with anxiety symptoms or depression.

Girls are much more likely to self-poison or take an overdose of medication than boys. According to the National Poisoning Information Centre, they account for 84 per cent of recorded cases. Over the past two years, the number of teenagers who knowingly overdose on medication has increased sharply, figures from the NCIC show.

Increase in suicide among young adults
Among teenagers, suicide has become the most common cause of death in recent decades. Previously, traffic accidents killed most people in this age group. This trend is partly explained by the sharp increase in road safety over half a century.

The overall number of suicides has been stable since 2018, according to CBS. But among young adults, there has been an increase. Young men in particular are ending their lives, figures from 113 Suicide Prevention show. In the 20- to 30-year-old category, 70 per cent were men.

According to the Volkskrant, this is striking because women are more likely to be depressed and more likely to attempt suicide. A researcher says this may be because men are more likely to use heavier methods when attempting suicide.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2503918-meer-jonge-vrouwen-op-eerste-hulp-na-zelfverwonding-of-suicidepoging

Matricide?

Two boys have been held in northern Spain after their mother was found dead, “gagged with a bag over her head” in the back seat of her car.

Police are treating the death of the 48-year-old woman, named locally as Silvia Lopez Gayubas, as a murder. The two boys allegedly tried to disguise her death as an attempted kidnap.

A regional government spokesperson confirmed the victim’s older child, a 15-year-old boy, was arrested and is expected to appear at a youth court on Thursday.

The younger boy, a 13-year-old, cannot face prosecution because he is under the age of criminal responsibility in Spain. However, he has instead been identified and placed in a child protection centre.

The pair were held in a park in the town of Castro Urdiales, near the port city of Santander, at around 2.15am on Thursday morning.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/t...-gagged-with-a-bag-over-her-head-1586135.html

It has been reported that in the U.S. fewer high school kids are going to college mainly because of financial concerns.

Me, my wife, my mom, and sister finished college.

My mom going to college in the early 1930’s was really unusual for a female in the southern states.

My brother did not.

It was a mystery how much schooling my father had ( 1920s & 1930s ) probably not too much.

My father never talked about his schooling.

Some of my friends' grandkids and one of mine dropped out during the pandemic as they couldn't do their subjects online and are now in other employment.
At least they won't have hefty HECS fees.
Two of my daughters who finished uni and have since paid off their fees have jobs which have nothing to do with what they studied.

I must say that many young people these days are really delightful - aware, much less derisory than my generation were at that age and much more accepting of people being a bit 'different'. More able to talk and converse with oldies on what seems like a level-er field. I remember being somewhat dumbstruck and/or confused and/or frightened when many grown-ups talked to me!

Of course there are outliers and exceptions but IME I find that (like all people) if one converses with and treats young'uns with respect and curiosity the payback can be splendid! I have some peers who regard teenagers as the devil incarnate and their interactions seem to provoke behaviours that fulfil their expectations. If a local child is a bit of a rough diamond (normally because of a chaotic home) then I like to show them that there are other ways of living. I won't take any lazy crap though.

About 10 years ago a very troubled but charming lad was talking with me & my dear departed neighbour and he piped up "You're posh!" and I asked him why he thought that. He replied "because you use big words". I told him that I wasn't posh, I'd grown up in council housing for several years with a single mother who'd also been a council house kid*. I told him I was instead well-educated, and went to school until 18, to university and I still educated myself in my (then) 40s. I might not be at all wealthy but I knew stuff :) He turned out OK in the end and is now the house-husband to his career-minded partner.

*They all did good - classic UK boomers who had jobs, marriages and bought their own homes, now enjoying their pensioner years.

There's been several recent events in our small town of a group of a few kids who've been making a real nuisance of themselves. They've been doing things like throwing goods around and making a row in a local supermarket - small enough not to have security. The police are elsewhere - it's only a part-time station and are 'shared' around a wide area.
On the town's Facebook 'moaning' group, one resident declared that they should be treated as terrorists!
Some people need to get a grip and put things into perspective!

The problem is perception.
Bad behaviour is newsworthy to most mainstream media; it's in their interest to 'promote' the idea the country is becoming a war zone. As you highlight - Steven and Kesavaross - it all depends on where you live.
Of course, there's really bad areas as well as (almost) idyllic places to live. I've lived in many of both.

The problem is perception.
Bad behaviour is newsworthy to most mainstream media; it's in their interest to 'promote' the idea the country is becoming a war zone. As you highlight - Steven and Kesavaross - it all depends on where you live.
Of course, there's really bad areas as well as (almost) idyllic places to live. I've lived in many of both.
I think the solution to a lot of these problems is supporting young adults, speaking to them politely and listening (as AnonyJ has pointed out above), we need more funding for regional mental health teams. We need more opportunities for then like The Princes Trust so they can prove themselves and achieve so they become happier and more confident which will have a knock on effect for everyone in society.

There's been several recent events in our small town of a group of a few kids who've been making a real nuisance of themselves. They've been doing things like throwing goods around and making a row in a local supermarket - small enough not to have security. The police are elsewhere - it's only a part-time station and are 'shared' around a wide area.
On the town's Facebook 'moaning' group, one resident declared that they should be treated as terrorists!
Some people need to get a grip and put things into perspective!
Had a similar one here last year- smashing stuff in Sainsburys and then into another shop and attacked staff.

I don't care how anyone writes.
I care more about what they write. And that they do write.
True, but sometimes writing is so bad that it can't be read. I once had an application form that looked very neat but P,I,T, & L were virtually identical M,N,V & W were hard to tell apart A, C, E & G the same Also B,F & K. All the letters were the same size, there was no puntuation. I actually passed it to someone else to check because for a few seconds I thought I'd had a stroke.

At a quick glance it looked great but in the end it took a long time to decipher.

True, but sometimes writing is so bad that it can't be read. I once had an application form that looked very neat but P,I,T, & L were virtually identical M,N,V & W were hard to tell apart A, C, E & G the same Also B,F & K. All the letters were the same size, there was no puntuation. I actually passed it to someone else to check because for a few seconds I thought I'd had a stroke.

At a quick glance it looked great but in the end it took a long time to decipher.
Must be a doctor.

Back