• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

KLF & Sundry Side Projects

A

Anonymous

KLF Sonic Weapon?

Of all popular music artistes, surely the two to have actively encouraged the most 'urban legend' style stories about themselves have been Bill Drummond and Jimmy Caulty, of the KLF (later of 'art terrorists' the K Foundation). Most of the stories, perhaps distressingly, appear to be true, but there is one which has always puzzled me, and I would be interested to know if anyone else had heard it, with either the same or a different protagonist.
The story concerns Jimmy Caulty buying an ex-Poilsh Army APC, which I beieve he painted bright orange. The vehicle itself exists - or I have at least seen a photo of it - but the alledged contents are more mysterious. According to the story, upon inspecting his new vehicle, Caulty discovered inside a piece of equipment which turned out to be some form of experimental sonic weaponry. He mounted it on the APC, hooked up to some loudspeakers, and drove off into the countryside near his house to test it. Upon setting off the 'weapon' Caulty caused a whole field of cattle beloning to a neighbouring farmer to miscarry (at great cost and annoyance to the farmer, I assume!).
As I mention, many of the outlandish stories associated with these two men are all the more extra-ordinary by their third-aprty witnesses, videotape evidence and such-like, but this one remains a bit more shadowy. I believe it was mentioned in a national tabloid or two, and Bill Drummond makes passing reference to it in his book '45'.
If anyone knows anything else about this story, or can confirm or refute its accuracy, please let me know.

I thought they drove an ice cream van not an APC! (yes, i know, my coat;)). I've not heard the story before but would be fascinated by more details.

Yep, I read the story about the cows somewhere (FT? NME?) about two years ago. Apparently it too is true. Not as cool as Super Furry Animals' in-tank sound system though :)

I seem to remember that Drummond & Cauty admitted later that it was all hype... one of them described it as a "disco van".

Doing a Google search for "Bill Drummond"+"disco van" gives a reference to an article in The Independent 2nd Aug 1996, p8-9.

Ok, so in the hope of inspiring a whole thread of things relating to the KLF (still possibly the most Fortean pop music phenomenon since Elvis. Certainly the most wilfully Fortean), a few other Drummond/ Caulty legends for appraisal:

1) Their most high profile act of lunacy - Burning one million pounds of their own money on a small island. They filmed the whole process on a hand-hgeld camera and showed the resulting short movie "Watch The K Foundation Burn A Million Quid" as a work of 'art'. However, as the only witnesses to the event itself were Drummond, Caulty and an individual referred to in many of Drummond's reminiscences as 'Gimpo', who held the camera, some people have asked whether the money was
a) Anywhere near as much as they claimed, or
b) Real at all.
Also, I know that it was their money and all, but by destroying banknotes, were they committing a crime of any kind?

2) Drummond and Mark Manning (formerly of aweful rock band 'Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction') travelled to the North Pole with a picture of Elvis, to bring about world peace. This is documented in their excellent book 'Bad Wisdom', but I still suspect oddness, given that:
a) Manning's sections of the book consist solely of a Burroughs/ De Sade-inspired rampage of fictional sexual violence and unpleasantness, only vaguely connectedc with the more realistic account Drummond offers.
b) Drummond acknowledges that his account isn't entirely accurate.
c) The book as a whole is presented in a way which willfully and deliberately leaves the reader wondering what really happened (which is a cool thing for a book about an alledgedly real event). This leaves me wondering if Drummond and Manning didn't just sit in a pub in Aylesbury one afternoon and make it all up.

That's two more to be going on with. Must go now.

PS - Growing up in Aylesbury, a schoolfriend (of impeccable trustworthyness) claimed that his father had, for a short time, been dating Julia Drummond, Bill's ex-wife, who apparently lived next-door to my friend's grandmother. If this is the case, I have shot at pidgeons on her chimney-pot with an airgun while digging a fish pond one balmy summer's day. (Don't worry, pidgeon-fans, I missed...)

Doesn't the 'Aphex Twin' (Richard D. James) have Ferret Armoured Scout Car?

Maybe it's him with the sonic weapon?

Yes, I've also heard that Aphex Twin lives or has lived in a soundproof concrete bunker. He certainly seems an eccentric chap in general, so I wouldn't put anything past him...

Achtung! Gebruik Zonder Oor Berschermung Verboten!

I bought one of those 'sonic weapons' things at a car boot sale once (thinking, it was a portable amp for some techno-band, like Kraftwerk, or Yello), along with a set of welder's goggles with a choice of really dark red, yellow, or blue glass eye glass (this was years ago).

The 'sound gun' looked a bit old fashioned and had German words stencilled on the sides. It was a good size, mounted on a sort of wheel barrow affair and used Grundig valves. The business end consisted of five, big, metal, bell-ends, shaped like old fashioned ear trumpets.

When I got it home I had to put a plug on. I used a spare 13 amp one (this seems to have been a mistake, I should probably have used a 5 amp) and plugged it in. Luckily it was pointing away from me at the time as I blew out the picture window in the front room and overturned a parked Mini Metro, before blowing out all the valves and fusing the transformer coil, irrepairably.

I wore the welder's goggles for ages, though. :)

101 said:
Yes, I've also heard that Aphex Twin lives or has lived in a soundproof concrete bunker. He certainly seems an eccentric chap in general, so I wouldn't put anything past him...
I think he lives in a converted bank - where he also has a recording studio - so presumably that would have a secure reinforced section.

Bill Drummond at the Cornerhouse, Manchester

Bill Drummond
Thursday, April 24, 2003 - Sunday, May 04, 2003

In 1995, Bill Drummond bought a work by his favourite contemporary artist, Richard Long, for $20,000. It was a photograph and text work called A Smell Of Sulphur In The Wind. He hung it on his bedroom wall and was very pleased.

In 2000 he realised he no longer had any sort of relationship with the work, so decided to do something about it. So far, this doing something about it has evolved into a journey, a book, an exhibition and a performance, all sharing the same title How To Be An Artist.

Between April 2003 and July 2006 Bill Drummond will be visiting residential care homes, prisons, schools, art spaces, front rooms, drop-in centres, cafes and other places with his performance and accompanying exhibition How To Be An Artist. The intriguing presentation lasts two and a half hours and offers everyone present the chance to own 1/20,000 of A Smell Of Sulphur In The Wind.

Performance times and dates;

7pm - 24, 25 & 26 April - Gallery 1

7pm - 1, 2 & 3 May - Gallery 1

In the past Bill Drummond has used various means to interrogate and explore the cultural landscape, including pop music (The KLF), writing (The Manual, Bad Wisdom and 45) and actions (The K Foundation Award and the burning of a considerable amount of money).

Tickets from Box Office £5/ £4 conc. Places are limited so please book early.

http://www.cornerhouse.org/

Brown Noise

This is an odd occurrence that happened to a good friend of mine about a year ago.
He and his girlfriend were at an outdoor gig which was at a local amphitheatre. I believe the band was The John Butler Trio, anyhow they were standing front centre when one of the musicians who was playing the double bass, instead of plucking the strings pulled out a bow and started playing it like a large slow violin.
My friend started feeling a bit queasy and light headed and when he turned around to see how his girlfriend was, she had collapsed. They went to the first aid tent to recover as I believe almost a dozen other people did.
I have heard of low frequency and subsonic noise being responsible for feelings of uneasyness and visual distortion, and has been used to explain ghostly feelings on occasion.
This is an instance where at higher intensity it can affect a person physically.
I also believe the governments during the cold war era were experimenting with subsonic weapons.

Re: Achtung! Gebruik Zonder Oor Berschermung Verboten!

AndroMan said:
I bought one of those 'sonic weapons' things at a car boot sale once (thinking, it was a portable amp for some techno-band, like Kraftwerk, or Yello), along with a set of welder's goggles with a choice of really dark red, yellow, or blue glass eye glass (this was years ago).

The 'sound gun' looked a bit old fashioned and had German words stencilled on the sides. It was a good size, mounted on a sort of wheel barrow affair and used Grundig valves. The business end consisted of five, big, metal, bell-ends, shaped like old fashioned ear trumpets.

When I got it home I had to put a plug on. I used a spare 13 amp one (this seems to have been a mistake, I should probably have used a 5 amp) and plugged it in. Luckily it was pointing away from me at the time as I blew out the picture window in the front room and overturned a parked Mini Metro, before blowing out all the valves and fusing the transformer coil, irrepairably.

I wore the welder's goggles for ages, though. :)

:rofl:
This is the funniest story I've read on the whole of this board.
:laughing:

101 said:
..Their most high profile act of lunacy - Burning one million pounds of their own money on a small island. They filmed the whole process on a hand-hgeld camera and showed the resulting short movie "Watch The K Foundation Burn A Million Quid" as a work of 'art'. However, as the only witnesses to the event itself were Drummond, Caulty and an individual referred to in many of Drummond's reminiscences as 'Gimpo', who held the camera, some people have asked whether the money was
a) Anywhere near as much as they claimed, or
b) Real at all.
Also, I know that it was their money and all, but by destroying banknotes, were they committing a crime of any kind?
a) There was a documentary on Channel 4 years back which documented the burning - they forensically analysed the footage and IIRC concluded that it was probably closer to £40-50, 000. So yeah, they did burn cash, but not as much as they said (I've tried googling for the source to back this up, but no luck as yet)

b) Well, again they're shown opening up one wad in the footage and fanning it out, but after that they're just shown flinging banded wads on the fire. Could easily have been cut paper with a real note on top (BTW the analysis I mentioned above was based on all the wads being genuine, and the amount of ash they seemed to produce).

c) Dunno. I did read somewhere (as usual :rolleyes: ) that all notes and coins are property of the crown, so if that were true I imagine it is technically illegal.

I agree! Androman's post had had me rolling around lol.
The business end consisted of five, big, metal, bell-ends, shaped like old fashioned ear trumpets.
Ah!! what Mauricio Kagel would have given for such a P.A.:D

The most amusing part about it is that someday, somewhere, somone will find this reference on the internet, spend years tracking down any possible leads and build one. Then put up a website* describing their hair-raising exploits.

Each passing day, I become more and more convinced that the internet is a crime against reality.

* Sorry about the lame-o link. I was shooting for the "Feraliminal Lycanthropizer" article that at one point resided at DavidWoodward.com. Archive.Org isn't working for me right now.

[edit:]
Ah! Good old FT leads us to a semi-non-defunct link!

(Semi OT: dear God, a Brion Gysin Dream machine -- in tasteful white ultrafur!)

The story concerns Jimmy Caulty buying an ex-Poilsh Army APC, which I beieve he painted bright orange. The vehicle itself exists - or I have at least seen a photo of it - but the alledged contents are more mysterious

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

prime example of Hypemaster meets UL in ego feeding frenzy.

YES there was an APC with plenty of PA strapped to the top, both it and Coulty made an appearance at several demonstrations in the late 90's .

Seems that claims of it being a geniune sonic weapon were grossly exaggerated as even when switched on it obviously had no effect on anybody not even those in immediate vacinity.[(archive news footage would vareify this)anybody?]

Was never much impressed with Coulty and co , but credit for working an eager media.

airzooka

Check out the Airzooka, its a technogeek toy, its kind of similar to a sonic weapon but I believe it launches a toroidal shaped ring of air to knock things over. I would love to see one the size of a rubbish bin.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/60b6/

What is sound but travelling airwaves.

I thought I'd merge a couple of threads to make one on the KLF and their side projects which always seem to flirt with Fortean aspects from the days they were "The Justified Ancients of Mumu" to the time in 1992 when Bill Drummond and Mark Manning (from Zodic Mindwarp and the Love reaction) had a plan to take a picture of Elvis to the North Pole featured in the book "Bad Wisdom: The Lighthouse at the Top of the World":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/184068108X/

and beyond - their latest project is this:

[WARNING: Captain Buttock seems to have been loose on the site and there are lot of posts of a sexual nature]

http://www.youwhores.com

Basically people go along and sell themselves - they say what they'll do and for what price.

Some favourites:

star trek
I will , for a quid explain any episode of voyager and enterprise, I will not do deep space nine or next generation

Drunk Bloke at a Wedding
Getting married? need a drinken twat to get thrown out and have the relatives thinking who the hell was that, cant have been one of our seans mates, probably one of that traceys mates boyfriends, i never did like the look of them... well, for just £150 cash plus travel expences me and my mate Rich will turn up just after the speaches and make utter cunts of out selves until you decide we have to leave. your benifit? well, everyone you have actually invited will realise that being an out of order twat at a wedding is a real pain in the arse and all have a good time safe in the knowledge they can go home and say 'gees, what about those two drunken fuckers, i am glad they got thrown out, though they were mysteriously handsome in a rugged kind of way.' or something like that.

Flip Em' The Bird
For a buck, two bucks or a quid I will give George W. Bush the finger everytime I pass the White House (I live in Washington DC) or the hotel of his choice wherever he is staying while on his conquest of the world. For an additional .50 cents I'll flip off Cheney also. Hell, for a tenner I'll flip off his whole staff. Just think every morning waking with a smile knowing you flipped off Dubya'

tell him
For any price you name I would walk up to that God fella and call him a cunt. To his face. If he has a face, that is

Mungo smash.
Mungo smash things. Smash things good. Mungo smash table, chair, lamp. Mungo smash for fish. Mungo smash car, boat, wheeled thing with motor. Mungo smash for two fish. Mungo smash fleshy thing. Mungo smash for three fish, and one for rock Mungo use to smash. Rock named Fleeble. Fleeble also for hire as rock. Mungo smash. Fleeble is rock. Both for .00 USD. Or four fish.

Nobody gives a damn?
I will, for .00 (US currency). But not for very long. No Republicans, please.

Anyone we know?

BE A ROCK
Fleeble sit in house, fleeble be a rock. Heat fleeble, freeze fleeble, fleeble not care, fleeble a rock. Fleeble hold down paper real well too. Fleeble also good to tape notes too, and then throw window. Fleeble a rock. Fleeble be rock for YOU! Rock rock on!!! Fleeble cost 45$ (american), plus shipping and handling. HAVE FLEEBLE ROCK YOU WORLD TODAY! But wait, there more. Fleeble bring Mungo, Mungo find walls, and knock them down. ROCK AND WALL!

---------------
KLF links:

http://www.klf.de

I've got a single by them released under the name "the justified ancients of mummu" on the JAMS record label. The label has a picture of a ghettoblaster in a pyramid on it. It's called "it's grim up north" and consists of someone reading out a list of northern towns over a rave backing, over both sides. It's strangely brilliant.

Emperor said:
Anyone we know?

BE A ROCK
Fleeble sit in house, fleeble be a rock. Heat fleeble, freeze fleeble, fleeble not care, fleeble a rock. Fleeble hold down paper real well too. Fleeble also good to tape notes too, and then throw window. Fleeble a rock. Fleeble be rock for YOU! Rock rock on!!! Fleeble cost 45$ (american), plus shipping and handling. HAVE FLEEBLE ROCK YOU WORLD TODAY! But wait, there more. Fleeble bring Mungo, Mungo find walls, and knock them down. ROCK AND WALL!
:eek!!!!:
:confused:

could the real fLeeb fLeebLe please stand up

i have had a look at that site now and can state that is just another wannabe fLeebLe :rolleyes:

plus i would charge more than $45, i am rather rare you know :tongue:

We have a little piece of Bill Drummond's picture. If I can find it, I'll post a photo of it.

Aphex Twin lives in a bank in Stoke Newington (or he used to, at least) and has an armoured car, also one of those studios filled with foam cones that are used for ultra-high-definition sonic testing. I remember reading the KLF cow story in Select about nine years ago but as far as I can recall it was entirely debunked. SFA tank was nice, but also was just a blue tank (the gun barrel of which read If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You...) which played drum&bass and techno. Obscure Throw claim to fame part 148746c - I once sat round the back of it with Howard Marks and various members of the SFA and got wasted. There was orange netting, as I recall, Gruff was wearing a blue coat and was a man of few words, there was a girl there I assumed to be his girlfriend who was extremely attractive, and Howard was a very, very nice and friendly man. Don't remember a great deal else about the encounter apart from the fact that there was a man with the Fred Perry logo tattoed on his chest present too, which I thought was pretty cool.

Didn't Bill Drummond pin loads of works of art to lampposts around Aylesbury a year or so ago and then encourage people to nick them and start selling them?

What does Howard Marks look like these days? I went into Uncle Hermans, the shop for, erm, drug paraphenalia that he set up in Manchester and there was some old bloke behind the counter, I wondered if it could have been the man himself.

What about the KLF's dead sheep/brit awards stunt?

Well, eight years ago he looked pretty much as he does on the front cover of his book, but a bit older and more weatherbeaten.

They also did something with a dead cow. It's all in 45, but I can't remember much about the book, I'll dig it out again tonight and have a quick read.

Back