• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

KLF & Sundry Side Projects

The best thing the KLF did was the single with Napalm Death. That's what they performed during the infamous Brits episode.

Ooh, a KLF thread, I'm sorry I missed it before now ;)

I have "The Manual ( How to Have a Number One The Easy Way)", I bought it when they reprinted it a few years ago (got funny looks from the James Thins within the University when I picked it up after ordering it)

One of the weirdest things I'd like to see some footage of is the 1992 Brits performance where they fired machine gun blanks into the audience, causing some upset. And they only did that because Extreme Noise Terror (who they were performing with) and the BBC (who's lawyers had caught wind of the plan) protested to the previous idea, of cutting up a dead sheep on stage, and had even bought the sheep, some blood to throw over the front rows of the audience and various cutting appliances ;)

Another thing I wonder about is their changing names, like the KLF, The JAMMs (Justified Anciences of Mu Mu) and The Timelords (as I recall when they used Ford Timelord to hold press meetings and the press felt they were being ridiculed they were rather surprised, since they'd meant it as a rather innocent joke). And all the stuff about Mu, which is supposedly another lost city in the style of Atlantis :)

I remember seeing something about the burning of the money too, though, specifically talking about it having quite a lot of spectators who lived nearby and included a policeman who said "It's their money, I couldn't stop them burning it. But you don't get to see people burning money every day, so I went along to watch!", he seemed quite amused by it all :)

Anyway, apologies if I've gone over anything already in the thread, I read over it but couldn't see much ;)

Didn't they change their name to The Timelords to bring out the single Doctor Who, a mix of the Dr Who theme to a rock beat?

Of the KLF, my favourite will always be 3: AM Eternal. It may be noted that the American police car (with the KLF logo on the doors and the massive sound system on the top) used to drive around Camden Town a lot - I've seen it!

Drummonds latest wheeze is Youwhores.com - an "artistic concept" website for people to post ideas and adverts on what they'd do for money. Some postings are amusing but it's being infiltrated by sex-monkeys who like to impress their friends with the range of abuse they can spout.

Stormkhan said:
Didn't they change their name to The Timelords to bring out the single Doctor Who, a mix of the Dr Who theme to a rock beat?

It was a "cover" of Rock and Roll (Part 1?) by Gary Glitter, called "Doctorin' the Tardis" :)

Of the KLF, my favourite will always be 3: AM Eternal. It may be noted that the American police car (with the KLF logo on the doors and the massive sound system on the top) used to drive around Camden Town a lot - I've seen it!

I wonder if that's the same car as Ford Timelord, who "fronted" The Timelords? :) Sadly I only know what the 3AM Eternal one looks like, since I was rather young when all the stuff went on and only have that video somewhere ;)

Colin said:
The JAMMs (Justified Anciences of Mu Mu)

This is from Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus trilogy, can't remember the exact context, as it's a long time since I read it.

Drummond helped Ken Campbell stage a play based on the trilogy in the 70s.

Ah, I knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember ;)

I also think I forgot to mention the modern dance/whatever thing "Scooter", they keep having KLF references that some KLF fans have picked up on.

GNC said:
Oopsh, yeah, it was ENT, not ND.

I've got the 7" single of the KLF/Extreme Noise Terror - 3am Eternal. When the KLF rang the bloke in ENT, he thought he was talking to someone from the ALF (Animal liberation Front)....

http://www.hiddensen.de/mirror/k/faq.htm#1.013
1.023: What is The ILLUMINATUS! Trilogy and what are the connections between it and the KLF? How did the KLF's use of its ideology affect other bands, such as the Shamen? ILLUMINATUS! is a huge cult sex-drugs-occult-paranoid conspiracy theory-science fiction book, where reality shifts and nothing is as is seems. Or is that what I want you to believe? It was first published in the mid seventies, written by Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea (who were employees of 'Playboy' when they wrote it), originally as three separate novels: 'The Eye In The Pyramid', 'The Golden Apple', and 'Leviathan', but now most readily available as the collected Dell edition (ISBN 0-440-53981-1).

It tells the tale of the international conspiracy the Illuminati, who attempt to order and control mankind, and receive individual power (become illuminated) by causing mass deaths. Their arch enemies The Justified Ancients of Mummu (The JAMs), are "an organisation (or disorganisation) who are at least as old as the Illuminati and represent the primeval power of Chaos". Along with affiliated groups the LDD and the ELF (Erisian Liberation Front), the JAMs are engaged in a secret war to prevent the Illuminati from 'immanentizing the eschaton' (bringing closer the end of the world). "Whether the above is fact or fiction is irrelevant. What definitely is the case is; 'The Chaos versus Order War' has been raging on, ever since Time first *got it on* with Space and created the Universe." The JAMs were members of the Illuminati, but were expelled at the behest of a faction protesting "kick out the JAMs". The Illuminati control all the record companies, which is why all music is very dull, and how they managed to incorporate the anti-JAMs jibe "kick out the jams" into a MC5 song. The JAMs started their own company to bring out good music, and combat the Illuminati.

The book is obviously a product of the sixties US counterculture, and of the liberated sexual attitudes prevalent in the Playboy offices. It mixes factional sources with fiction and constantly re-interprets and changes the 'facts' until the reader is left utterly confused. It makes a use of the concept of synchronicity, where connections are made between apparently unrelated incidences, and of numerology, and brings to the readers attention the occult significance of the number 23. Whether there is more significance to 23 than any other number is questionable, but what is definitely true, is that once the reader is informed, and shown where 23 crops up, they will notice 23's popping up oddly themselves. A large part of the fun the book introduces one to, is either spotting 23's or hiding them in works deliberately for others to spot. Finally the book promotes discordianism, "a religion disguised as a joke or a joke disguised as a religion?" Discordians worship the goddess of chaos Eris, and are involved in the chaos vs. order war.

Drummond was 'involved with the set design' for the first ever stage production (adapted by Ken Campbell and Chris Langham as a 5 part 10-hour science-fiction rock-opera epic), which opened in Liverpool on the 23rd of November '76. Drummond was at art college at the time. The play featured 'Illuminatus!' author Robert Anton Wilson as a naked extra, and the 23-strong cast contained a number of actors and actresses, who would later be quite successful. The play moved to London where it was seen by the young Cauty who would read the books because of the production.

Bill said in March 1997, over 20 years after the event: "When Ken Campbell put the Science Fiction Theatre together in Liverpool in the early 70s, it was to do Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus trilogy. .. I remember there was a part for a Chinese woman in this play, an Oriental woman. He asks me, who's the biggest Oriental woman in the world today? So I said Yoko Ono And he said, 'Okay, the magic of the phone is that it connects everywhere in the world; every village in China will have a phone and there will be a wire that goes there - you can get anybody1' Within half an hour he was speaking to Yoko on the phone, saying, 'Look, we've got this blah, blah, blah.' Obviously she wasn't up for the part, but I was thinking: if you want to do something, what's going to stop you? That was a big influence"

When Drummond and Cauty decided to "kick out the old" and attack the music industry, they named their group the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu and their record company the Kopyright Liberation Front (The KLF). Much of their recorded output features chants of Mu Mu! And their recordings are (c) "the sound of Mu(sic)". They took many concepts from the book and incorporated them into their work. If you haven't read the book you might want to spot them yourself (that was a poor attempt at a SPOILER WARNING): 'What Time Is Love? and the original version of 'All You Need is Love' feature a sample of the MC5 shouting "kick out the jams motherfuckers". 'All You Need is Love' also features the lyric: "We're back again/ They never kicked us out/ 20,000 years of shout shout shout" which must refer to the real JAMs and also after suggesting an AIDS conspiracy ("Southern Texas seventy-nine/ Killer virus meets the world outside... With this killer virus who needs war?...Swinging sixties all part of their plan"), King Boy shouts "Immanentize the Eschaton". Then in 'The Porpoise Song' on JAMS LP2 King Boy meets a talking porpoise who tells him to join the JAMs! (While on the huge submarine, the 'Leif Erikson' several of the books characters meet Howard, a talking porpoise). Scott Piering, their radio and video plugger announces the motto of The JAMs 'OK everybody lie down on the floor and keep calm...' at the beginning of 'Last Train To Trancentral' as says John Dillenger when he robs banks. The Stadium House video is supposedly a KLF live concert at Woodstock Europa. At the real Woodstock Europa Maria Imbrium vocalist with the 'Sicilian Dragon Defense' hallucinates angels in golden robes coming out of Lake Ingolstadt. At the Rites of Mu (which of course was held on the lost continent of Mu) the four Angels of Mu rose out of the water at sunset in white robes. The confusion over their name (Kopyright and Kallisti Liberation Fronts, and Kings of the Low Frequencies) may just have been journalistic cleverness inventing them, or the KLF may have deliberately put them about, to mirror Hagbard Celine who keeps changing the name of the LDD (Legion of Dynamic Discord, Lawless Delicacy Dealers, Little Deluded Dupes). I think the multiplicity of names that they took on may be related to 'the JAMs can't do it alone'. The JAMs need help from The ELF and The LDD in their battle with the Illuminati. The JAMs need help from The KLF, The Timelords, Disco 2000 and The Forever Ancients Liberation Loophole in their battle with the music industry. The KLF stated all through their career that they intended to buy a submarine, and at the end of the 'Justified and Ancient (Stand By The JAMs)' video, they climb into a submarine and are waved off by the rest of the cast, 'all bound for Mu Mu land'. An insert shows the JAMs- mobile driving off into the sunset, with "The KLF would like to thank the five for making all of this impossible" superimposed. The five of course are the secret leaders of the Illuminati. Allegedly, there is a reference to "3am eternal" somewhere in 'Schroedinger's Cat', and another obscure reference to an art gallery with a "picture" consisting of a frame with lots of bills nailed to it, but these have yet to be found.

The KLF also hid many 23's in their canon of work for 'Illuminatus!' readers to spot. 'Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu' is 23 letters long. Kopyright Liberation Front unfortunately has one too many letters, unless of course you spell 'Kopyrite' thusly, giving 23 letters :) . The first single 'All You Need Is Love' was JAMS 23. Then "23 years is a mighty long time" is a line in 'Next' on 1987. Also on 1987 is the song 'Rockman Rock (Parts 2 and 3)'. The JAMs-mobile (Ford Timelord) has 23 on its/his roof (all US cop cars have a two-figure number on their roofs). It can best be seen in the 'Doctorin' The Tardis' video. The model car in the 'Last Train To Trancentral' and Stadium House videos also has a 23 on its roof. The Italian bootleg of the Madrugana Eterna club mix has a cat. no of ETERNAL 23. At the Disco Mix Convention in Amsterdam in late Oct 1990 (it may well have been the 23rd!) they played a 23 minute version of 'What Time Is Love?' additionally they did a PA at the Heaven club at the end of December 1990 (could it have been?). The KLF's appearance at the Liverpool Festival of Comedy was on Sunday June 23rd 1991. The final KLF Communications info sheet was #23. There's a Cauty drawing of the cop car in this info sheet, it has a 23 on its side. The K-F's award was announced on the 23rd of November (the 17th anniversary of the opening of the Illuminatus! Liverpool production). The K-F's award was the 1994 award, while the Turner award it was subverting was the 1993 award; could it be because 1+9+9+4=23?. And they burnt the million quid on Jura on the 23rd of August 1994. And there are several times in Bad Wisdom where Bill includes the number 23. HOWEVER, at the end of Bad Wisdom, Bill says "...all those 23s were just shoved in for the junior members of the Numerology Club". Make of this what you will, but this author actually has an idea of to whom he might be referring!

There are some other poor ones which only fit if you force them, but are often mentioned by fans as possible ones (it's also stretching a point to believe that the KLF with their short attention span would bother to count up how many of each thing they had or hadn't done). However: There are 23 bricks in the KLF's pyramid blaster logo. Well there are 22 complete rectangular bricks. If you count either the ghetto blaster or the top triangle or the bottom left hand almost complete brick as the missing brick then yes. You can also manipulate the KLF's releases to produce 23 releases. There's JAMS LP1-6 (six) JAMS 23-28T (six) KLF 001-005, 008-011 & 99 (ten). So you need to dig up one more possibly the Stadium House video or ETERNA1 or the unreleased Black Room. Personally I don't like this one as I feel that their actions/stunts/pranks should be counted too, as well as just the records, book and videos. Then there's definitely not 23 mixes of 'What Time Is Love?' but by selectively discounting some or including some based on your own prejudices you can come up with either 13 or 17 (other significant numbers)[however the latest total count is 33!!]. Taking the alphabetical positions of the letters KLF (K=11, L=12, F=6) you can get: K+L= 11+12 = 23, and K+F = 11+6 = 17.

It is often asked whether the Shaman's "Destination Eschaton" single was influenced by the KLF, or just RAW. Bill often 'compares' and contrasts the KLF's work with the Shamen's, as they were around at the same time and doing the same sort of thing (very approx). But despite the influence both groups may have had on each other, and the numerous Eschaton references in the JAMs' music, it is more likely that the single, "Destination Eschaton" was influenced by the concept of eschatology as a whole. The Shamen were big on the work of a certain other American weirdo, namely Terrance McKenna. You are cordially referred to "Re:Evolution" which featured Mr McKenna sounding forth (and completely ruining the underlying music) about tribal shamanism, psychadelic drugs, and how "history is the shockwave of the Eschaton. History is the shockwave of eschatology."

This is what KLF is all about! :cool:

This is a good thread. Has given me a lot of laugh.

I got their CD - The White Room and has downloaded most of their music videos from P2P networks.

I also got their CD single Justified and Ancient featuring Tammy Wynette which I bought in 1991. It got that familiar ice cream van on the cover.
"MAKE MINE A 99! "

I'm an old fan, to say the least.

Hi

more KLF stuff

this is as received w/out an url

-----------------------------------------------

Rest Easy in Your Beds at Night and Have a Merry Christmas

or
BLACKOFF
(a post-terrorist Xmas gift shop)
by

JAMES CAUTY AND THE BLACKSMOKE ORGANISATION

1st - 25th December 2004

THE AQUARIUM of 10 Woburn Walk, London WC1H 0JL, soon to be known as
the NO GLORY GALLERY will be the only credible place to SHOP for your
Christmas gifts this year and the only place on Christmas Day.

With the government warning of an imminent terror attack, JAMES CAUTY
formerly of THE KLF , THE K-FOUNDATION is now spearheading a campaign
to create a range of ‘terror aware’ limited edition Christmas gifts. With
prices ranging from 50p to £5000 we will be targeting everybody.

BUNKER-BUSTER JIGSAW PUZZLE: Limited Edition of 100 signed & numbered
with one piece missing.

THE MISSING PIECE PIECE: Made up of the missing pieces of the
bunker-buster puzzle, this MISSING PIECE PIECE will also have a MISSING PIECE. After
Christmas the MISSING PIECE PIECE will be broken up and a random
MISSING PIECE will be sent to the purchasers of the BUNKER-BUSTER PUZZLE. The
MISSING PIECE from the MISSING PIECE PIECE will always remain a
MISSING PIECE. R.I.P

FEAR NO EVIL - ARTIST OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL:
Limited Edition of 30 medals forged in solid stirling silver designed by James
Cauty, hand carved & crafted by Raphael Maklouf FRSA (creator of the
Queen’s bust seen on the coins of the realm) and manufactured at The
Tower Mint. This highly desirable collector’s item will be housed in a very
tasteful presentation case.

LIMITED EDITION ART PRINTS: A new series of Queen in a gas mask and
related ‘terror aware’ Limited Edition Art Prints
ATTACK HANKY: A Limited Edition printed hanky to be used only when
under attack.

T for Terror T-TOWEL: This Limited Edition printed T-Towel is a work
of art and most likely useless... even in an emergency.

I’M DREAMING OF A BLACK CHRISTMAS LTD EDITION WHITE VINYL 7” SINGLE:
This will only be available on Christmas Day, but gift vouchers reserving a
copy will be on sale in the shop throughout December.

PLUS

TERROR AWARE WALLPAPER

TERROR AWARE CHOCOLATES

TERROR AWARE TIES

TERROR AWARE WRAPPING PAPER

TERROR AWARE GIFT TAGS

TERROR AWARE CHRISTMAS CARDS

TERROR AWARE EMERGENCY MUG AND PLATE SET

TERROR AWARE FRIDGE MAGNETS, STICKERS, IRON ON TERROR AWARENESS PATCHES,
TATTOO TRANSFERS, WINDOW STICKERS, FEAR NO EVIL AND BLACKOFF BLACK ON BLACK
BLACK BLACKSMOKE BALLOONS, EMERGENCY FOOD, WATER, BATTERIES AND CANDLES etc
etc etc

AND

THE BLACKSMOKE INTERACTIVE ART CONTAINER ADVENT CALENDAR
This animated calendar will be available on-line at http://www.blacksmoke.org and
will also be projected in the shop with one container to be opened each day
in the run up to and on Christmas Day

Steven Lowe
tel: 020 387 8417
e-mail: [email protected]

why a gift shop?

a note by james cauty

Artists get sick of galleries.... we walk in .... spend ten minutes looking
at the work it took someone a year to put together then head straight for
the cafe, gift shop or just outside for a fag......not that we're pissed
off that we don't have an exhibition in a big swanky turbine hall.... or
just totally depressed because we think our work is so crap nobody
wants to exhibit it but in the end , for us, the gift shop becomes the place we
can explore our branding ideas... Cash for trash....it represents the
futility and the glory of it all. art...death...shopping...

The theme of our shop is government induced terror. Most things in the
shop relate to the government leaflet we got through the post and the idea
you are going to need to stock up on certain items before you retire to
your terror attack bunker or hide under the kitchen table this Xmas. So
we've made some things the government recommends and then some we think are bunker essentials.

We want to make some money cos we're skint but feel guilty about charging too much so i guess we'll end up breaking even as usual. On the positive side we do have the retail advantage of being the only post terrorist modernist gift shop open on xmas day as far as we know. Whatever
happens we feel sure that our gift ideas will make a real difference to many people this christmas.

the blacksmoke organization

blacksmoke is an imagined art collective
we produce works of art
our leader is james cauty
we don't exhibit much
we don't release many records
we sometimes dj at parties for cash
but usually stay in and work
we do from time to time produce a huge amount of stuff some of this stuff can be purchased at the aquarium some of it's not finished yet
we work in an old wheelchair factory on the south coast

on 1st dec 2004 we'll launch a web site modeled on a container yard
with a 60ft high stack of advent calender containers...in the run up to xmas recent work will be shown on this site and at the aquarium, the shop
will be linked to the site and on xmas day a limited edition 7 inch single
'i'm dreaming of a black xmas' will be released...on 1st jan 2005
blacksmoke will open a shop at http://www.blacksmoke.org

-----------------------------------

endquote

Mal F

Answers:

4.012: What's Jimmy's sonic weapon?

To replace the dilapidated Ford Timelord (see 5.007) Jimmy purchased two Saracen armoured vehicles at a scrap yard for ukp 4,000 and found equipment in them which he thought could have been used for sonic warfare. He has tried to assemble the acoustic gun from information he found on the Internet. Installing huge amplifiers and special speakers to cope with the very low frequencies cost him "tens of thousands of pounds".

The 25,000-watt sonic gun can project sound for around 7 miles, and Jimmy annoyed his Devon neighbours by testing it on Midsummer's Day, 1996. Jimmy said: "I moved to Devon six months ago for a bit of a rest and this is a project I am taking an interest in. I do not see it as music or art." He said that he aimed the gun away from homes and it seemed to have no effect on sheep.

The Melody Maker said: "He was testing his two Audio Weapon Systems in a field near his new home. 'He alerted people to the fact that he was doing this by setting off some military flares. Then he tested his Audio Weapons System for an hour for a very select group of scientists and friends. The Audio Weapons System is not designed to kill people." ... [Cauty] first tested it at a Wire gig on Hungerford Bridge in May. ... In January, Panasonic [ the "Finnish conceptual techno nutters"-NME] borrowed one of the Audio Weapons Systems for tests on how sonic waves affect the human body at Brick Lane in London. ... A fax from 'Mr. Smith, the Head Of Commercial Exploitation at Advanced Acoustic Armaments', was sent to The Maker. It read:
"The test took place to establish the parameters of the new vehicle solo and in tandem with its sister model, SS 9000K+L. The test featured new software generated for our latest commercial client, EXP LTD, and is described by Mr. Cauty as featuring 'the ultimate battle between sound and commerce ending in the death of all musicians and their ascension to rock-n-roll heaven or hell as befits them.' Yesterday we received communication with ex- Government employees who, in the Sixties, worked on audio weapon development with an offer of help and some ex-classified equipment. We regret any such death or damage that has resulted from our tests, but there are casualties in every war. The Triple A Formation Attack Ensemble will perform 'Foghorns Of The Northern Hemisphere' as part of an educational programme supporting our research shortly."

Most of this is probably scam, but Cauty has (very allegedly)recorded an album of sonic waves for Paul Smith's Blast First label under the name AAA. The album is in the hands of lawyers who are trying to clear some of the samples used on it, and has yet to be released (01/97). It appears to be a Cauty solo project.

More recently, Jimmy teamed up with new Asian-techno group, Black Star Liner for a happening in a field on Dartmoor [this is the EXP reference above]. Jimmy chartered a 'chopper to take BSL and assorted journos out to Dartmoor, where he intended to remix the Halaal Rock track in his tank. Apparently, BSL bumped into Cauty on London's South Bank, while he was driving about in his tank, he got hold of their album, and said that he wanted to work with them. Anyway, the chopper was grounded by severe fog, so everyone was put on a convey of buses. All the journos were given orange jackets to wear. They eventually arrived at a field full of military vehicles, and people in yellow jackets, wearing goggles and ears protectors, doing some form of formation dancing. The journos were lead to their seats, and had large floodlights shone into their eyes, while the yellow jackets let of flares all around them. There were a load of goats skulls on sticks around the field, and a whole pile of fireworks let of towards the end of the mix, when Cauty was mixing in some Jimi Hendrix. However, this didn't really go down well with BSL. For the record, Choque (leader of BSL) said in the NME "Cauty's truck is a bag of complete shite. And he's a f---ing misery guts"

Then in November 1996, Jimmy turned up at the A30 road protests in Honiton, Devon, to lend his support. The A30 Action press release read:

A30 Action and A.A.A.(Formerly the K Foundation, formerly the K.L.F.)

As of 2300 hrs 19.10.96 the armoured division of the A.A.A. Formation Attack Ensemble established a front line defensive position at the Trollheim Hill Fort, Fairmile, Devon, in collaboration with A30 Action in defence of the threatened trees, badgers and some insects. At dawn on 21.10.96, the Triple A will activate their S.Q.U.A.W.K. 9000 sonic device in response to any offensive action taken on behalf of the Connect consortium. The @utonomous communities of Fairmile, Trollheim and Allercombe have resisted the soul destroying consumer nightmare of the private profit A30 through a 2 year campaign of Non-Violent Direct Action. Now armed with the 2 Saracen armoured personnel carriers both loaded with 15 Kilowatt Soundsystems and weighing over 10 tons they intend to dance in the face of the legions of destruction.

Numerous photos of the Saracens cam be found in the ftp archive, on Mancentral and at: http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk/klf

http://www.illitrate.co.uk/klf/FAQ/faq4012.html

The KLF, the Illuminati's and the number 23

What's up with Drummond and Cautey's obssession with the Justified and Ancients of Mu Mu and the number 23. This webpage give us a clue:

The KLF & Illuminatus!

Illuminatus! is a huge cult sex-drugs-occult-paranoid conspiracy theory-science fiction book, where reality shifts and nothing is as is seems. Or is that what I want you to believe? It was first published in the mid seventies, written by Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea (who were employees of Playboy when they wrote it), originally as three separate novels: The Eye In The Pyramid, The Golden Apple, and Leviathan, but now most availible as the collected Dell edition (ISBN 0-440-53981-1). Forbidden Planet generally stock copies.

'Illuminatus!' tells the tale of the international conspiracy the Illuminati, who attempt to order and control mankind, and receive individual power (become illuminated) by causing mass deaths. Their arch enemies The Justified Ancients of Mummu (The JAMs), are "an organization (or disorganization) who are at least as old as the Illuminati and represent the primeval power of Chaos". Along with afiliated groups the LDD and the ELF (Erisian Liberation Front), the JAMs are engaged in a secret war to prevent the Illuminati from 'immanatizing the eshcaton' (bringing closer the end of the world). The JAMs were members of the Illuminati, but were expelled at the behest of a faction protesting "kick out the JAMs". The illuminati control all the record companies, which is why all music is very dull, and how they managed to incorporate the anti-JAMs gibe "kick out the jams" into a MC5 song. The JAMs started their own company to bring out good music, and combat the Illuminati.

More text on the webpage.

KLF resurface with a mystery video...

KLF 01 01 2017 WTF FOUND VHS
NOTE : **The KLF left the music business 12/02/1992. A return in 2017 is unconscionable.**

On 01/01/1987 Bill Drummond said to Jimmy Cauty "LET'S FORM A BAND CALL 'THE JUSTIFIED ANCIENTS OF MU MU'"

On 23/08/1994 The K Foundation burnt one million quid.

2017-1994 = 23.

On 05/01/2017 Bill Drummond said, "I am aware of a film that has been edited out of old bits of our stuff has been put up on Vimeo and You Tube, but it has nothing to do with us . . . Jimmy and I have always remained very close but we have no plans to reform The KLF or exploit our back catalogue in any way."

"His quote, it turns out, was a feat of semantic nuance. Within 24 hours, a photograph of a chanced-upon bill poster appeared on social media."

the-klf-poster-justified-ancients-of-mu-mu-reunion-body-image-1483630713.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/music/m...-comeback-bill-drummond-jimmy-cauty?CMP=fb_gu

As a side note, if anyone hasn't read the book 'The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds' by John Higgs then I'd strongly recommend it.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLF-Chaos-Burned-Million-Pounds/dp/1780226551/

I do own an original LP of '1987 What the Fuck's Going On?' (pre-mass burning of records) and other sundry JAMMS/KLF vinyl, plus a few bits of Jimmy Cauty artwork. Always intrigued to see what they're up to.

Mr. Cope on said burning, makes me chuckle -

"He burned a million pounds which was not all his, and some of it was mine. People should pay off their creditors before they pull intellectual dry-wank stunts like that."

Also, and I love a brave and powerful absurdist stunt, but that money...a million quid...could take a lot of people off the streets with that, give a lot of sick kids the treatment they need, pay for some old folks to have their heating on over the winter. I dunno. Yeah- it's a stunt but...

Good points. The author covers a lot of the issues surrounding the burning of the cash in the book and the (ritual) consequences to the band.

Yeah, I always thought that was a bridge too far to be honest - assuming they actually did it, of course.

I don't believe that they actually burned a million quid. Sure, some of it may have been real notes, but most of it was probably fake.
Given that they've done comparatively little over the years and only had a few hits, I haven't been able to figure out how they've made any money at all.

Given that they've done comparatively little over the years and only had a few hits, I haven't been able to figure out how they've made any money at all.

Back in the early '90s, KLF were massive. Surprisingly so I think.

According to those who were there at the burning, it was real money all right - the attendees tried to pocket some of it!

According to those who were there at the burning, it was real money all right - the attendees tried to pocket some of it!

I think they definitely torched some real money...but a million?

Maybe, maybe not. Impossible to know now.

If so- wasteful.

If not - a phoney jape.

Either way...

Back