• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Light Switches In Dreams?

gncxx said:
rynner2 said:
gncxx said:
What do people with colour blindness dream in? Do the dreams "correct" the colours?
How could we ever know?

Surely if you have colour blindness you know if what you are seeing is different to most other people?

But if you have always been colour blind you would have no basis for comparison.. I may see colours in a different way to how you see them but until we can see through each others eyes we will never know for sure..

The important thing about dreams is that they are the interface between our direct perception of the real world and our symbolic filing system. It's a bit like internet browsers. They take stuff out of cyberspace, in a mixture of code and content and then use stuff stored in code and content, to build whole web-pages. It saves time and bandwidth.

The same sort of thing goes on inside our heads, except much better. Mostly, we don't notice the gaps. Dreams usually contain exactly enough information to make sense of our perceptions and experience, not in only order to file it away, but also to learn from it.

Colour is probably not necessary in dreams, unless it has some significance, or you wake up inside the dream, or have some level of significant consciousness and decide you miss it.

regarding the "being able to turn light switches off and on in dreams" thing it may be that the "rule" that you cant is actually a misremembered fact based on the recommendation that when "training" oneself to astrally travel/lucid dream its suggested that you get into the habit of asking yourself at regular intervals "am i awake" and verifying that by attempting to do something not possible in the waking world (eg: levitation) - and a handy reminder to test yourself is to link a habit or action with that conscious thought - in the usual example being turning on a light - something people do dozens of times a week, if not day.

So every time you turn on a light you say "am i asleep?" Then try to fly/make everyone naked/shoot a fireball/or whatever - if you succeed then you know you are dreaming and thus obtain lucidity.

A few years back I was saying in a hotel and some people burst into the room at about 2am. (They had got the wrong room but they keycard worked). However this led to a few weeks of nightmares of people coming into my house uninvited. In these dreams I could tell it was a dream because the main light was on in the room I was in, this very rarely happens in real life (I prefer lamps) so it not a light 'memory' that my mind generated, although probably relates to the childish memory if the light is on nothing can hurt you!

Ha ha as I typed 'i prefer lamps' the autocorrect changed it to karma!

Back