• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Don't Stand By Me

Surviving a lightning strike.

By Joshua Foer
Posted Monday, June 6, 2005, at 4:24 AM PT

Jerry LeDoux is a guy you don't really want to interview, because interviewing him means having to be near him, and that's like planting yourself by a dartboard. The stone claw hanging from his neck attests to his grisly encounter with a bear's jaw at a roadside park in August 1990. (His wife, Bee, brandishes a photo album that documents the mauling before he's done telling the story.) The Purple Heart on his Navy Seals sniper hat testifies to the three bullets he took in Vietnam. The ugly black mark on his finger is evidence that he once air-nailed it to a floorboard. The scar on his left arm is proof that he accidentally screwed his flesh to the wall. The long knife wound on his hand? "Things happen," he says. The most improbable of his many accidents is the one that left the least visible evidence—just a few white splotches on his arms and a discoloration near his hairline. But that doesn't mean it's easily forgotten. LeDoux rolls up his sleeve to show off a tattoo of a man getting struck by lightning engraved on his left bicep.

All LeDoux remembers about the moment he was struck in August 1999 is that he was standing ankle-deep in a puddle when he was overcome by an intensely bright light. He woke up a half-hour later, 20 feet away, with a vague taste of battery acid in his mouth, he said. The soles of his shoes had melted, his two-way radio had exploded, and several of his teeth had shattered. The medical ID tag he wore around his neck was melted into his chest. He drove home from work that afternoon and was back on the job the next day. "I didn't even know I was hurt. I didn't realize anything was wrong," says LeDoux, a 62-year-old master mechanic from Sulphur, La. It took several weeks before he realized just how fried his circuits were—and almost six months to find a doctor who believed he'd been struck.

On average, 67 Americans are reported killed by lightning each year. Nobody keeps accurate records of the number of lightning injuries, but estimates range from 200 to 1,000 annually. Four in five survivors are men (who are more likely to work outside and play golf). About 100 of them gathered recently at the Music Road Hotel in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., not far from Dollywood, for the 15th annual international conference of lightning-strike and electric-shock survivors. They came to commune and commiserate. At the men's support group, which was held in the hotel's conference center on a Thursday afternoon, survivors went around the room introducing themselves and describing their injuries. One man with a chest-length Fu Manchu mustache talked about how he'd aged 50 years overnight after getting shocked by a light bulb. "I'm not glad you're hurt," he declared to his fellow survivors, "but I'm glad that I'm not the only one." The moderator, a survivor who used to climb poles for Bell South, asked the group, "How many of you were told at one time or another that there was nothing wrong with you?" Nearly everyone's hand went up.

Lightning survivors sometimes have trouble convincing friends and family—even doctors—that they've been struck. Unlike garden-variety electrical shock, which finds the quickest route directly through the body, lightning can flash over the outside of a victim, sometimes blowing off clothes without leaving so much as a mark on the skin. The high-voltage electricity that zips through the body does its damage in just a few milliseconds. In many cases, there are no visible burns, though temporary fernlike bruises called Lichtenberg figures sometimes appear. Medical tests like MRIs, CT scans, and X-rays usually come back normal. But those are anatomical tests of how the body looks, not functional tests of how it works, and they can be deceiving. Zap a computer with an electrical surge and its hardware will appear unchanged, but that doesn't mean it'll still be able to run Leisure Suit Larry. The same is true of humans.

About 70 percent of lightning-strike victims are afflicted with a bizarre collection of disorders that remain almost a total mystery to medical science. LeDoux, like most survivors, has a terrible short-term memory. "I would've been able to hide my own Easter eggs and not find them," he says. "I lose days, sometimes a whole week." He is easily distracted and often fatigued and has gone through spates of depression. "That first year when they told me I'd never be able to work again, I took a gun and put it to my head and pulled the trigger," he says. "But you know what? I forgot to load it."

Bubba Babineaux and four fellow gem hunters were struck in 1999
Tremors, mini-seizures, and sleep disorders are common symptoms. So are chronic pain and a lack of equilibrium. "I'm scared to death to get stopped on the highway because I can't walk a white line," says Bubba Babineaux. Many survivors experience intense headaches and a constant ringing in their ears. Some complain that they overheat easily. Babineaux, for instance, has shaved his head to compensate for a persistent feeling that he's about to spontaneously combust. In some cases, these symptoms don't appear until months or even a year after the accident. One widespread symptom is chronic irritability. "Anything would set me off," LeDoux says, with an unsettling glare, before explaining that he now takes nine medications to ease his pain. Lightning-strike survivors often talk about "mourning" their old selves.

Because strikes are so rare, and because their symptoms are so obscure, victims are often dismissed by doctors, not surprisingly, as malingerers or told they have psychosomatic disorders. Only a handful of doctors in the world are experts in keraunopathology, or post-electrocution syndrome, and even the experts are clueless as to how exactly lightning messes with the nervous system. Until just a few years ago, the medical literature was virtually silent on the long-term pathologies caused by lightning strikes. According to Dr. Nelson Hendler, clinical director of the Mensana Pain Clinic in Stevenson, Md., and an expert on lightning disorders, 93 percent of strike survivors have misdiagnosed conditions. Bubba Babineaux's story, which appeared in the National Enquirer, is typical. He and four friends were struck by lightning while hunting for petrified wood in southeastern Texas. When the group staggered into a hospital emergency room several hours later, they were prescribed Gatorade and sent home with orders to stay hydrated. "I've stopped going to doctors. They're not worth anything," was a refrain heard often among survivors at the conference.

The conference itself was born out of such frustration. In the mid-1980s, a former bank clerk named Steve Marshburn Sr., who had gone from doctor to doctor for 15 years seeking an explanation for his lightning-strike symptoms, started reaching out to other survivors whom he read about in the newspaper. After about a year of reading their letters, he and his wife Joyce started an organization for lightning-strike and electric-shock survivors from their home in Jacksonville, N.C., and held their first conference in 1990. (Despite celebrations this year commemorating the conference's 15th anniversary, Marshburn concedes he made a mistake: The Pigeon Forge event was actually the 16th. But he'd just as soon forget last year's Orlando conference, which was virtually boycotted by lightning survivors who didn't want to go to central Florida, the Lightning Capital of America.)

The Marshburns believe that strike survivors don't just need medical attention and hand-holding. This year, they offered lectures on how to win worker's compensation cases and file Social Security disability claims. Predictably, the survivors have turned their suffering into a badge of honor. Conferees voted on male and female survivor of the year. (My nominee: Brian Sheldrake, who lost both his arms in an 11,000-volt electrical accident at age 14 and now drives a 40-foot RV with his feet.)

Marshburn says he and his wife have talked 15 survivors out of suicide and helped save several marriages. Unbeknownst to the couple, their own marriage was a cause for celebration at the conference. A surprise renewal-of-vows ceremony, timed to the Marshburns' 40th anniversary, took place Saturday night, with the entire family of survivors in attendance and a robed justice of the peace officiating. Everyone was asked to sing along with the boombox to the chorus of a Marshburn family favorite, Alabama's "Angels Among Us."

That song, about the divine hands that intercede on our behalf, poses a theological question—Why me?—that torments surprisingly few victims of this most freakish act of nature. The survivors I spoke with almost all told me the same thing: Their accidents were somehow part of a divine master plan. If so, what were we to make of the violent thunderstorms and dazzling lightning shows that lit up Pigeon Forge all three days of the conference? I asked LeDoux about this, and also about what he thought of the remarkable coincidence that Tennessee Electric had decided to host a conference on the same days in the same hotel as the lightning-strike survivors. He didn't think much of either oddity. In the scheme of things, he said, they just weren't that improbable.

www.slate.com/id/2120260/nav/ais/

Ahh the fickle hand of fate:

Father's devotion to dead son leads to own death at gravesite

Connie Cone Sexton
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 7, 2005 12:00 AM

Dark clouds were building in the Tucson sky as Joseph Cooper closed his tailor shop for the day. He was intent on making one last stop before heading home and may not have heard the beginning rumblings of the thunderstorm as he drove down Grant Street.

As with every Saturday after work, Joseph, 70, was going to the place that gave him peace of mind, where he could lose himself in the past and pour out his heart. He turned into the East Lawn Palms Mortuary & Cemetery and followed the road's familiar curve, stopping at the grave of his thirdborn son.

At first, his visits were consumed with sorrow over the loss of his son, Oscar, at age 30 to a terrible bout of pneumonia in 1996. It was here he would kneel to pray, to ask God why a child was allowed to die before his father. Here, he would talk with his son about how he solved the day's minor problems or how there were no answers for the bigger ones, like why life had taken such a horrible turn.

As the years passed, Joseph began to feel a growing contentment. So it was with a sense of purpose and not dread that he made his way once again to Oscar's grave that Saturday afternoon, May 28.

He was heading to his place of solace. There was no way to know it would be the place where he would lose his life. It was after 5 p.m., and storm clouds were moving across the cemetery. Joseph was standing beneath the tree where Oscar was buried, and it was there that a bolt of lightning came out of the sky, through the tree and into Joseph.

Joseph Cooper was born Sept. 13, 1934, in La Ceiba, Honduras. He was about 10 years old when his father, a train engineer, died in a boiler accident. Joseph's mother was left to raise a family of three boys and two girls.

When Joseph was just a boy, someone in his family taught him to sew. His skills grew, and he began to take jobs during high school. By the time he was in his 20s, Joseph knew he wanted his own tailor shop.

He believed the United States was where he could fulfill his dream. He realized it meant sacrifice, leaving his family behind. It was 1968, and Joseph had a wife, Livida, and three sons, Norman, Javier and Oscar. They would stay in Honduras until Joseph could make enough money to bring them to a new life.

He settled in New Jersey and took what factory sewing jobs he could. He worked a second job at a hamburger shop. He fought homesickness by writing lots of letters and sending photos to his family. Joseph was determined not to send for them until he had saved enough for a new car and a nice apartment filled with furniture. It took him less than two years.

Reunited, Joseph and Livida were soon blessed with their fourth son. Brian was born in 1970, the first and only child to be born an American citizen. Over the next few years, Joseph continued to seek better jobs. It meant moving the family once again. This time, to Arizona. By 1973, Joseph was working in Nogales as a sewing teacher. The patience that his teachers had shown him as a novice paid off. Joseph gave each student his time, wanting them to understand that sewing was a work of art.

In 1976, the family made one last move, to Tucson. Joseph went to work at a small tailoring shop and eventually took over the business, Threadneedle Street Tailors. The previous owner had taken the name from a road in London where hundreds of tailors once worked. Joseph kept the name and eventually moved the shop in with a small cluster of businesses on East Grant Street, where it has been for the past 20 years.

He kept the sewing machines right against the front window, but he didn't spend much time looking at the traffic that would whiz by. His reputation grew, and soon Tucson clothing stores were sending customers to Joseph for alterations.

Joseph was a master of the machine and could speedily guide cloth toward a pulsing needle, never fearful of making a slip and piercing his fingers. His sons would watch in awe as they tried to duplicate his finesse in sewing on a button, his arm gracefully moving through the air with each stitch.

Joseph was mindful of any wayward pucker or pull. He sewed to impress, and the result was perfection. Work kept him busy; there were layers of his success that built up on the floor of the shop each day.

Despite his work ethic, he relished being a father and a grandfather. The promise of a good life in the United States had come true for Joseph.

There was no warning that tragedy was waiting.

In September 1996, Oscar was saving money by living at home. He was set to fly to Paris on a vacation, just another jaunt to a foreign city, thanks to his job as a ticket agent for America West Airlines.

Joseph admired his son's carefree nature, his willingness to fly off on a moment's notice. He was proud of all of his sons, but in Oscar, he saw someone who wasn't afraid to take risks, someone who could be happy with a simple life.

Just days before his Paris trip, Oscar became desperately ill. Joseph and Livida went with him to the hospital and stayed by his side. Less than 24 hours later, he was dead. They were told pneumonia was to blame.

When Oscar died, Livida and Joseph walked the grounds of the cemetery to find the perfect place for his grave. They finally stopped beneath the shade of an olive tree. It was certainly not the tallest tree around but one they hoped would grow tall and hearty.

They took care with the grave, tending the grass when it came over the headstone, shooing away ants. They adorned it with flowers and trinkets.

Joseph tried to stay strong for his wife and sons. He knew he had to keep going, to keep the family going. Livida was the only one who could see he wasn't so stoic.

Joseph was back at work just three days after the funeral. But he was a changed man. He was determined to pull his family closer.

A year after Oscar died, Joseph faced another trial. He and his youngest son, Brian, had a falling-out over a car loan. The two didn't speak for seven years, not even when Brian got married. Neither Livida nor Joseph were invited.

It was as if another son had died.

Through it all, Joseph never stopped his visits to Oscar's grave. He also went on Sunday, as he had always done when Livida would make her visits. Joseph didn't like to talk about his sorrow over Oscar, and he didn't want to talk about Brian.

Until five months ago, when Livida opened a Christmas card and saw it was from Brian. She was overjoyed, and Joseph was ready to reconcile.

The family was becoming whole again.

It was just a normal day, a normal Saturday when Joseph made what would be his last visit to Oscar's grave.

Family members aren't sure if he realized that a storm was moving so quickly that afternoon. They know he probably would have chanced going to the grave, anyway, just for a few moments, just to say hello to the son he so loved.

Sometime after 5 p.m. when the lightning started and 6:45 p.m. when it ended, Joseph was standing at the edge of Oscar's grave.

He would have been thankful that it was him, not Livida or Norman, Javier or Brian who had been standing there that day. He would have been thankful that it wasn't his family who found his body.

And he would have been thankful that they all said it must have been God's time for him to be with Oscar.

They would later ponder the irony of how he died, where he died. He had been taken during a moment of both grief and love.

Joseph fell beneath the tree.

And it was there that they buried him, next to his son. On a Saturday.

www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local ... death.html

Note as well, the surname of the family! (The Shriners are a US fraternal group that grew out of existing Freemason organizations in the 1890s)

Girl bolts from bed after lightning strike

Seven-year-old escapes unharmed after flames engulf mattress

By Jay Senter

Friday, July 1, 2005

Lightning accompanying the intense storms that swept through the area Thursday sent a 7-year-old Tonganoxie girl scrambling from her burning bed — and left Snow, her favorite unicorn doll, with a coat of singed white fur.

Kaylee Shriner said she was asleep in her upstairs bedroom just before 8:30 a.m. when she heard a loud noise and felt her bed become very hot. When she looked up, flames had begun to engulf her mattress. Kaylee and her sister Kristen, 5, who share the room, ran out in search of their parents.

“We went down saying, ‘Mom! Dad! My bed’s on fire, my room’s on fire!’” Kaylee said. “Then (dad) went up and he said bad words.”

Kaylee’s father, Trent Shriner, grabbed the burning mattress and dragged it outside.

Tonganoxie fire crews arrived at the scene shortly thereafter and determined that a lightning bolt had struck the roof of the house, traveled through a metal beam in the drywall and into the springs of Kaylee’s mattress. Kaylee managed to get out of the bed without incurring any injuries.

“She was more shaken up than anything,” said Capt. John Callaghan of the Tonganoxie Fire Department. “I think just about anybody would be shaken up having lightning blow up right underneath them.”

While Kaylee and her sister escaped injury, their room was left with a gaping hole in the ceiling and a scorch mark along the wall. Kaylee’s “Bratz” comforter was ruined, as were several of her dolls, including Snow the unicorn.

“The horn was shrinked and so were the feets and the tail,” Kaylee said. “It was very special to me. But my grandma might get me a new one.”

As members of the fire crew were returning to the station after the incident at the Shriner house, they witnessed lightning strike the Friends Church at the corner of Fourth and Shawnee streets.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jul/0 ... e/?weather

Man talking to neighbor killed when lightning strikes head

Associated Press
Apr. 27, 2006 07:15 AM

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A man was fatally struck by lightning while talking to his neighbor about the coming hurricane season.

Harold Bennett, 65, was standing outside his home when he was hit in the head about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, said neighbor Judy Thompson.

"It was like somebody had shot him," Thompson said. "The lightning went right through him ... It was horrible."

It was lightly raining when Bennett was taking the garbage outside and spotted Thompson rearranging furniture.

"He always liked to talk any chance he got, and he asked me if I was moving," Thompson said. "I said I was just clearing out the back for hurricane season."

The two were standing about 25 feet apart. Thompson was not hurt.

www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0427 ... 27-ON.html

Article Launched: 07/06/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

denver & the west

Lightning zeros in on teenager's tunes

Castle Rock boy burned via iPod wires
By Felisa Cardona
Denver Post Staff Writer

Castle Rock - Jason Bunch was listening to Metallica on his iPod while mowing the lawn outside his Castle Rock home Sunday afternoon when lightning hit him.

The last thing the 17-year-old remembers was that a storm was coming from the north and he had only about 15 minutes before he should go inside.

Next thing he knew, he was in his bed, bleeding from his ears and vomiting. He was barefoot and had taken off his burned T-shirt and gym shorts. He doesn't know how he got back in the house.

Bunch immediately called his mother, who was in Illinois visiting family.

"Mom, I think I was hit by lightning," he said.

Kelly Risheill told her son to call 911, and she started the 14-hour drive home.

About the same time, a neighbor saw Bunch's scorched green and white Reebok tennis shoes in the street, a few feet away from the lawn mower. She also called for help.

Bunch was taken to Sky Ridge Medical Center and placed in intensive care. He was sent home Tuesday.

"I'm alive, and that is what I am grateful for," Bunch said as he lay in bed Wednesday.

From the hospital, Bunch called a friend and told him he wasn't able to go bowling. Then, he called a girl he was supposed to meet for a date.

"I said, 'I did not stand you up. I was struck by lightning."'

Bunch's ears were burned on the inside, and he's lost some hearing, mostly on the right side. His hair was singed.

His face, chest, hands and right leg have freckle-size welts on them as if buckshot had come from inside his body out.

The wounds follow the line of his iPod, from his ears down his right side to his hip, where he was carrying the device. The iPod has a hole in the back, and the earbuds dissolved into green threads.

www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4016385

Lucky escape for lightning victim

Mr Fellows did not realise he had been struck until hours later
A Staffordshire man has escaped serious injury after being struck by lightning.
Alistair Fellows, 43, from Stretton in Burton-on-Trent, had stepped out of his van during a storm in Tutbury when the bolt struck him.

Mr Fellows said he felt nothing at the time, his arm only beginning to swell five hours later. He was also left with slightly impaired hearing and sight.

Colleagues at Burton Albion FC, where he works in maintenance, have nicknamed him "Flash" and "Lightning".

Close calls

Mr Fellows said: "There was a flash, and the thunder and lighting came at the same time.

"I didn't realise anything had happened until a bit later on.

"My arm started to swell up, and my wife noticed that there was a mark on my arm."

The experience has caused Mr Fellows to reflect on the close calls which have dogged him over the years.

People just can't believe how lucky/unlucky I am

Alistair Fellows

From the age of 12 until last Thursday, when the lightning struck, he has had four lucky escapes with electricity.

As a boy he suffered a shock as he pulled a plug from a socket, and twice in his 20s he narrowly escaped injury - once when he sliced through the live cable of his electric lawnmower, and again when he hacksawed through a shed cable he did not realise was live.

Toothbrush in ear

Mr Fellows also broke his skull twice in his teens.

He also told the BBC that, in 1990, he had to go to hospital to have a toothbrush extracted from his ear after he fell in the shower. "That was embarrassing," he said.

No serious problems occurred from 1992 until 2004, when Mr Fellows was seriously injured when his car was hit by a lorry.

"People just can't believe how lucky/unlucky I am," he said.

"My wife is going to get me a crash helmet for my 50th birthday."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 281160.stm

Am I allowed to contribute a true life story? ;)

Last Wednesday a stray cat "adopted" my sister's
Missouri horse farm. Her 9-year-old son promptly
named the cat "Whiskers" -- my sister insisted on calling
the cat "Lightning". They had a friendly argument about
this for the next two days... then last Friday evening,
a bolt of lightning completely shattered a tree
in their front yard. It knocked my nephew out of his
chair onto the floor... and other than losing the answering
machine (the only thing NOT on a surge protector) and
having to clean up the splinters of tree, bark and leaves
there was no damage.

Strangely, my sister says she has not had
the urge to call the cat "Lightning" since...

Weird...
TVgeek

Perhaps they have found a 'thundercat'? Hooooooooooooooooooooo

Two people killed by lightning while attending a funeral :(

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?channel_id=1&story_id=32578

Fair goes ahead despite fatal lightning strike

28 August 2006

AMSTERDAM — Fair goers in the Gelderland town of Vorden observed a minute of silence on Saturday for the two people killed by lightning in the town's graveyard the day before. [...]

A 59-year-old former alderman and a 14-year-old girl died on Friday when a bolt of lightning struck a tree in the graveyard. They were members of the local music corps 'Sursum Corda'. The accident took place during a musical tribute at the funeral of a deceased band member.

Three of the other musicians were also injured. Two of them, a 16-year-old girl and a 37-year-old man, were released from hospital on Saturday. A 71-year-old man was still being treated in hospital on Saturday. [...]

At 3pm, 24 hours after the fatal lightning strike, the music stopped at both events and those attending observed a minute of silence.

Lightning injured at least 25 people, several of them critically, at an air show and a soccer match in western Germany at the weekend, police there said.

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?channel_id=1&story_id=23127

Dutch news in brief, 26 August 2005

Footballer struck by lightning

A 20-year-old soccer player was in critical condition on Friday after being struck by lightning. The unnamed player for Kloetinge Football Club's second eleven was hit by the bolt in Zeeland Province on Thursday evening during a championship match against Wolfaartsdijk Football Club, police said.

A 35-year-old woman from Walsoorden in Zeeland died last week when she was struck by lightning while walking her dog.

Meteorological agency KNMI said an average of three people a year were hit by lightning annually in the Netherlands.

It is best to avoid water, open areas and places were a lot of iron is present during thunder storms, the KNMI said.
So this year lightning killed twice as many people as average. Must be the climate change ... :?

Interesting point. It is easy to make attribution biases, but as reported, that is twice as many lightning strikes as per usual - although, it would be interesting to see what the highest number of fatalaties (in one year) had been previously. Does anyone know if this 'trend' is being repeated throughout Europe?

I'm not sure that three extra lightning deaths constitutes proof of anything much. It's quite amazing sometimes how folk seize on isolated bits of data, and because they know little or nothing of statistics, use it as evidence, or even proof, of something quite unconnected.

Put another way, there's a big difference between climate and weather!

Just in case I'm talking rubbish, I'll probably not venture out into too many thunderstorms in the near future.

Absolutely, biases like these are well researched - however, on a personal note, the number of friends of mine from foreign climbs who didn't want to get in a terrorist act in london, beggers belief...hello...hello? Oh well.

Anyhoo, it would be interesting to know if there are significantly more lighting storms, and if there are more deaths. Of course, there could be the same number of storms, but people are now less aware of protective behaviour? Standing under a tree anyone?

uair01 said:
So this year lightning killed twice as many people as average. Must be the climate change ... :?
Of course I'm not serious. There are so few deaths from lightning strikes that any statistical analysis seems impossible. But records are kept by the Dutch Central Bureau of Statistics:

Maybe this link works:
http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/table.as ... 0&D4=(l-11)-l&DM=SLNL&LA=nl&TT=2

1996 -
1997 2
1998 -
1999 1
2000 -
2001 2
2002 1
2003 -
2004 1
2005 2

© Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, Voorburg/Heerlen 2006-08-28
These show that there are at most 2 deaths per year for a long time span!

My guess would be that - using statistical process control thinking - this process is "in control" - meaning that it is stable and does not show any rising trend.

And I wonder how accurate this record is - maybe not all lightning deaths are recorded, or are misrecorded as heart attacks etc.

Lightning exits woman's bottom

Lightning exits woman's bottom

October 09, 2006 12:00am
Article from: The Australian

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

A WOMAN has suffered severe burning to her anus after being struck by lightning which hit her in the mouth and passed right through her body.

Natasha Timarovic, 27, was cleaning her teeth at home when lightning struck the building.

She said: "I had just put my mouth under the tap to rinse away the toothpaste when the lightning must have struck the building.

I don't remember much after that, but I was later told that the lightning had travelled down the water pipe and struck me on the mouth, passing through my body.

It was incredibly painful, I felt it pass through my torso and then I don't remember much at all." Doctors at the city hospital where she was treated for burns to the mouth and rear said: "The accident is bizarre but not impossible.

She was wearing rubber bathroom shoes at the time and so instead of earthing through her feet it appears the electricity shot out of her backside," a medic told local television news channel, 24 Sata.

"It appears to have earthed through the damp shower curtain that she was touching as she bent over to put her mouth under the tap. If she had not been wearing the shoes she would probably have been killed by the blast."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20 ... 62,00.html

Ouch!

Ouch lol. I no i should not find it funny but can't help it.

Brings new meaning to the term "the sun shines out of your backside." seems you can get all kinds of weather.

;)

Max, you're being way too modest in posting this in Mainstream News. This deserves pride of place in Fortean News.

Lightning out of a woman's bottom? What's the male equivalent? Ball lightning? Ouch!

Gives flashing a whole news meaning :oops:

Peripart said:
Max, you're being way too modest in posting this in Mainstream News. This deserves pride of place in Fortean News.

Agreed.

After a brief diversion to cockupsville it is now merged with the broader thread in FNS.

One question - how come the gas never lit?

Lucky Man Survives Lightning Hit

Lucky man survives lightning hit

A 29-year-old man is lucky to be alive after being struck by lightning, ambulance crews say.

The man had been walking home in heavy rain, in Crampers Field, Coventry, when he was struck during Thursday evening.

Paramedics said he had burns where the lightning had entered and left his body, his hair was singed, and one shoe had disintegrated.

His clothes were described as completely blackened. The man is under observation in hospital.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/06/01 08:18:37 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Boy struck by lightning in park

A teenage boy was hurt when he was struck by lightning in a park in Greater Manchester.

The 14-year-old boy was playing with friends in Longford Park in Stretford when he got caught in the heavy rain and storms on Thursday afternoon.

It is thought he was sheltering under a tree when he was hit by the lightning bolt, which knocked him to the floor and left him unconscious.

He was taken to Booth Hall Children's Hospital.

The youngster, who has not been named, is suffering from second and third degree burns to 10% of his body.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/06/01 11:25:01 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Lightning strikes jogger wearing iPod
Last Updated: 7:11am BST 12/07/2007

A jogger wearing an iPod was struck by lightning and burned on his chest, neck and face - with the burns tracing the path of the earphones - doctors in Canada have reported.

The 37-year-old patient's eardrums were ruptured and the tiny bones in his middle ears were dislocated, the doctors wrote in a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine. The incident happened in 2005.

The man's jawbone broke in four places and both jaw joints were dislocated, probably because the electric current made his jaw muscles contract violently, Eric Heffernan, Dr Peter Munk and Dr Luck Louis, of Vancouver General Hospital, wrote in their letter. The metal in the earphones helped channel the current and cause the injuries, they said.

"Although the use of a device such as an iPod may not increase the chances of being struck by lightning, in this case, the combination of sweat and metal earphones directed the current to, and through, the patient's head," they said. Mr Heffernan said: "I think that this has the potential to occur with any sort of headphones."

Two years later, more than half the patient's hearing is gone and he cannot hear high-frequency sounds.

The National Weather Service has estimated that a person's odds of being struck by lightning are one in 5,000.

http://tinyurl.com/3d7ozp

When I was just a kid, I saw a guy get struck by lightning. Well, kinda.

I loved (as I still do) watching lightning storms. I was out on the veranda of my Grandparent's flat watching the lightning. I had been out playing football with my cousin on the green a few feet to the right of the tenement they lived in, when the sky darkened really quickly - it went from a bright, almost sunny day to almost dusk-like in minutes. Then the rain started, so we ran upstairs. The rain continued to get heavier and heavier - then we heard the rumble of thunder and started counting off the seconds until we saw lightiing - only a couple of seconds later, there was a really bright flash. We knew it was close by, so we went out onto the veranda (inset into the building, so we were covered).

The flashes kept getting closer to the thunder until they were right on top of each other. My cousin got scared and went indoors, but I stayed out to watch. The rain was just hammering down by this point - lashing at the street. The lightning was flashing so often it seemed like there was hardly a pause between the rumbles of the thunder. The thunder was so loud it was rattling the open kitchen window (the kitchen was on the other side of the inset veranda, with a window looking out). The lightning was so close I could see the forks striking somewhere behind the row of tenements on the opposite side of the street.

The streets were empty, not even any traffic, which was unusual for a Saturday - the busses that ran through Easterhouse to and from the city center (I lived, and still do, in Glasgow) went along that street.

I saw a guy running right-to left along the street, toward the green. He had his jacket pulled over his head. He ran up onto the grass and stood under a tree. He stood pulled his jacket down, and then CRACK! The tree was hit by a fork of lightning. The sound was huge - the green was surrounded on three sides by tenement buildings, so it boomed and echoed, filling the whole street. The tree was smoking, but still standing - leaning slightly wonky - but still standing. The guy was lying on the ground. I ran inside to tell everyone what happened, and I don't remember what happened after that. I don't remember if someone went to check on him, an ambulance was called by someone in the room, or even if the guy died or was okay.

What I do remember though, is that the next day when we went uot to take a look at it, the tree was black, and the bark had been reduced to ashes that just crumbled in your hand. The ground around the tree was scorched in a circle, maybe four feet in diameter. The tree was cut down a week later, and the stump is still there today. I don't remember even thinking about the guy from the previous day, just that one of our goalposts was now gone!

Another lightning story, not as good though :)

Fast forward to much later, I'm now in my late teens, camping with my Dad in Arrochar, just past Helensburgh.

We set up the tent on a little outcrop of land that reaches into the water - the same place we'd been camping for years. It was downa hill opposite a little indentation the big rock wall that goes along that road (so people can park and check stuff I guess - it's literally just a little indentation one car wide, and maybe three long - the road was presumably cut into a hill). The rock wall also has a little water trickling down it, presumably from a source on top of it.

We started a small fire to keep the midges away, and as it was starting to get dark, pulled out the fishing gear. We sat for a couple of hours fishing, and the rain started. Heavily. If there'd been anything on the weather about it raining that weekend we'd have stayed at home, believe me.

It was only about 11 o'clock, but it was already dark (and at the end of July too), so with the rain and all, we decided to call it a night. No sooner had we got into the tent than we heard the thunder. We got out to look for lightning, but couldn't see anything, and it was raining far too heavily anyway, so we just went to bed.

The rain was hammering our tent, but we'd learned our lesson from prevous trips and made sure to set the tent up as well as well could to stop it collapsing under heavy rain (this time, finally), and we went to sleep.

We woke up early the next morning, thankfully the rain had stopped and the tent was still dry inside, so we got outside to assess the damage.

And damage there was. I opened up the tent-flap to discover that the tent was now less than 6 inches from a 15-foot drop into the water. We took our time getting out, and looked up to see that the trickle of water that ran down the rocks across the road was now a torrent of water rushing down the rock wall, across the road, down a 30 foot hill, and had turned the ground beneath us to mud. The tent, which was well secured into the ground, had come loose, as the ground turned to sludge, and had slid down toward the water with us asleep inside.

As we were laughing about that, and about just how the hell we were going to get back up the hill to the road, we noticed that the tree that was just to the left of our tent, was now lying on the ground and scorched black. It had been struck by lightning while we were asleep, and had fallen away from us - if it had fallen in the opposite direction, it would have landed on top of us. In fact, if it had fallen in any other direction, there would have been some kind of interaction between tree and tent, and by that nature, us. :)

We quickly packed up and got out of there (it must have taken twenty minutes at least to get up the hill toward the road, as it was just sludge by this point, and the water from across the street was running on to it).

Sorry for being so thorough in the re-telling of these stories (I'm finding that a lot of the stories I post on here look really long in the message window once posted - I just try to be as descriptive as i can when i can remember things :) ).

Lightning strikes twice - 27 yrs to the day

Pa. Man Survives 2nd Lightning Strike

The Associated Press
Sunday, July 29, 2007; 8:45 PM

HAMLIN, Pa. -- Lightning can strike twice. Just ask Don Frick.

Frick said he survived his second lightning strike Friday _ 27 years to the day of his first _ and emerged a bit shaken with only a burned zipper and a hole in the back of his jeans.

"I'm lucky I'm alive," Frick told The Associated Press in a phone interview Sunday night.

Frick was attending Hamlin's Ole Tyme Daz festival on Friday afternoon when a storm came up quickly. He and six others sought refuge in a shed shortly before lightning struck the ground nearby. The strike sent a shock through Frick and four others in the shed.

"It put me up against the wall," said Frick, 68. "When I came to and realized I was alive, the first thing that came to my mind was that I'm pretty lucky.

"It burned my zipper off, burned my pockets, but didn't burn me."

None of the others in the shed were seriously injured, Frick said.

Twenty-seven years earlier, Frick was driving a tractor-trailer in Lenox, Pa., when the antenna was struck by lightning, he said. He said that his left side was injured in that strike and that he was laid up for 3 to 4 weeks.

Pee'ing Biker struck by lightning

I am sure this is not the first of this kind of story?

Motorbiker KOed After Lightning Discharges Through His Penis
A Croatian motorbiker's penis was zapped by lightning as he stopped beside the road to take a leak.

Ante Djindjic, 29, from Zagreb, said: "I don't remember what happened. One minute I was taking a leak and the next thing I knew I was in hospital.

"Doctors said the lightning went through my body and because I was wearing rubber boots it earthed itself through my penis."

Djindjic, who suffered light burns to his chest and arms, added: "Thankfully, the doctors said that there would be no lasting effects, and my penis will function normally eventually."

Source Here

Mr P

Re: Pee'ing Biker struck by lightning

mrpoultice said:
Djindjic, who suffered light burns to his chest and arms, added: "Thankfully, the doctors said that there would be no lasting effects, and my penis will function normally eventually."

It's the word "eventually" that bothers me!

Back