• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dr_David_Sutton

Devoted Cultist
We will be running a piece on the Liverpool Leprechaun panic of 1964 in the next issue, and need help sourcing images of the fokllowing locations:

Jubilee Park, Kensington, Liverpool

St Chad's Church and churchyard, Kirkby

Learn Farm Lane/Roman Road Junior School, Felling, Gateshead

If anyone can help with photos of any of these places - especially with pics dating back to the 1960s - we would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

Please email me at [email protected]

Best,

David

We all know what a Leprechaun looks like but it would help if you could provide reference of a Liverpool Park.

I've never heard about the Liverpool\Leprechaun connection
but it does seem this topic is really an excuse for anyone to have a go at Liverpool with the usual stereotypical scouser comments

And now you'll think my comment is a typical knee-jerk touchy, over-reaction
well... probably, yes

As regards the parks comment, Liverpool has fantastic parks, among them:
Sefton Park with it's famous Palm House and Peter Pan statue
Calderstones Park with it's botanical gardens and neolithic stones
Stanley Park which separates Goodison Park, home of the Mighty Blues from some other local "football" team

The piece has appeared in the current issue of FT as David said it would.

Monstrosa said:
The piece has appeared in the current issue of FT as David said it would.
And a very interesting and enjoyable read it was, too. :)

Nah, it was just the right length for a Leprechaun piece. Short and sweet.

Actually I think I'd have preferred to read about the Gateshead Leprechauns.

Here's my super-speculative though - I thought it was interesting that the article mentions the leprechauns were throwing stones and turfs. Because you know what throws stones and turfs - poltergeisty boggarty things. Of which leprechauns are definitely close cousins. The article only reacted to this as 'vandalism', and didn't notice the connection.

Supposing (yeah just supposing) the children really had seen something otherworldly, it's the sort of thing cousins of Good Folk might be doing. And as the children were perhaps the offspring of (as it posits) Catholic families, and doubtless families of Irish descent, then their cultural background might have led them to interpret the otherworldliness in that way, indeed.

(or it could just be the gardener, as suggested. but that's just boring).

Last edited:
Back