• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Local UFO sightings

Dingo667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I often wonder how often UFO sightings are reported in local Newspapers only, even if they are quite intriguing, nobody else in the country would hear about those.
Last week I found an article about various sightings in the Fenland area, this is a follow up report. I would love to hear more about those local news as they paint a completely different picture:

"REPORTS of strange lights in the skies over Wisbech have sparked interest from across Fenland and even further afield.
In fact one woman from Barnstaple, North Devon, contacted the Citizen after spotting the stories of the 'UFO'sightings on our website: www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk

She was interested in the story where Alison Hunt, of Cherry Road, Wisbech, reported seeing a very bright glowing orange light the size of a 'full moon' over her garden on January 30.

The woman, who didn't want to be named, said her daughter and her husband actually saw two of these objects, which she described as "huge, massive, orange orbs very bright. Both were the size of a full moon."

She had spotted them as she was driving her car in Barnstaple with her husband in the passenger seat.
It was between 5pm and 6pm on a clear evening.

"My daughter told me that it absolutely frightened her, she said
. "They looked as though they had just appeared out of the atmosphere and just hovered there silently.

"They then disappeared into a dot," wrote the woman, who has contacted Brian Vike, who runs a UFO research website based in Canada. His website is: www.HBCCUFo_Org

Brian has hundreds of reports on his website. The orange orbs have been sighted by many people in the USA.

The woman herself claims to have had a sighting of two blue/silver orbs back in early August 2007 just above her Barnstaple home and she managed to photograph one of them.

She also claims they have been experiencing electrical disturbances here a few times recently, where the lights flicker.

And she claims to have actually seen an object over her home after the lights in the house started flickering and her computer turned off.

"I felt rather spooked by the experience to tell you the truth," she wrote.

The full article contains 313 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Last Updated: "

other reports of the same:

http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/publicp ... 1976257.jp

More Fenland lights.
Hey I am all by myself on this thread, its my own personal thread that nobody is interested in. However I'll keep posting because either something is happening here in the Fens or our Newspapers have to be admired for not being scared to run these stories or last but not least I'll use this thread as an archive of Fenland sightings.
However if someone somewhere in the world could come up with very local news about this subject please don't hesitate to dump it here, I'll read it.

http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/news/UF ... 3974819.jp

UFO 'gave me the heebie-jeebies'

A RING'S End man has described how a strange light in the sky gave him the 'heebie-jeebies' on Thursday night.
Andrew Warren and his son, Stephen Whitrod, spotted a series of lights in the sky over their March Road home at around 11pm as they were checking on their chickens.

Mr Warren said he initially thought the lights were from the police helicopter, but then realised there was no noise.

"It was low enough and near enough for there to be noise, but there wasn't much. There was a slight engine noise, but nothing you could really identify," said Mr Warren.

He said initially there
was a diamond pattern of lights, which were like nothing you would normally associate with an aeroplane, and again the lack of noise made him dismiss it as being a military aircraft.

Then a second and third set of lights appeared from different directions and these were different to the first set. One set was in a V-shape.

Mr Warren said they seemed to hover before moving off and disappearing.

He said the lights were red, and also a blue-white colour and certainly did not fit the patterns normally seen in the skies when there are jets doing flying exercises.

"We have a lot of jets and other military aircraft flying over here, so I know what they look like and I also know there is a lot of noise, and this was just not normal.

"Whatever it was it gave me the heebie-jeebies. I tried looking at the lights through binoculars but I still couldn't see very well," said Mr Warren.

The full article contains 277 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Last Updated: 11 April 2008 4:47 PM

And a video of strange lights over Chatteris [down the road].

Video: Mystery lights spotted over Chatteris

http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/news/Vi ... 3997678.jp

TWO Chatteris readers saw the mystery lights spotted by Rings End father and son Andrew Warren and Stephen Whitrod.
Nicholas Nielander (30), his wife Sherry and friend Andrew Cade were trying to sort out a flat battery when the V-shaped and diamond lights in perfect formation caught their eyes.

Andrew videoed the scene on his mobile phone and the three watched the lights for about five minutes until they disappeared.

It was on the same night at the Rings End sighting at about 9pm. They also saw an aircraft fly over the light formation.

Nicholas, who has been brought up on military bases, said the lights were nothing like any aircraft lights he has ever seen and he was impressed the way the lights stayed in perfect formation.

"They were slow moving and appeared to be travelling with the wind," said Nicholas, adding he has never seen anything like it in his 1
5 years of living at Chatteris or anywhere else.

"They almost had the appearance of balloons with lights," said Nicholas, who estimates there were about ten to 20 lights but no noise.

"I have never seen a flying machine that appeared visually like that. They were not aircraft lights. I was intrigued as to what they were," he said.

Mark Burton, of Willey Terrace, saw the V formation and flashing red and blue lights over the Honeysome Industrial Estate area.

He also saw two small aircraft - one from the March direction and one from Warboys.

"At one moment, when the V lights turned for a few seconds, I could only describe it as the curved shape of the cabin of the spy plane Blackbird.

"It was definitely dark in colour, if not black," he said.

Did you see the lights, or do you have a possible explanation for the mystery? Post your comments below...

The full article contains 313 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Last Updated: 18 April 2008 11:21 AM

They were slow moving and appeared to be travelling with the wind
Someone else using UFO balloons, I see. They are gaining in popularity; I must get some and set off a few reports of my own.

Whilst the other orange lights were very probably flares, this one is new and with photo:
http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/news/UF ... 4727836.jp

UFO spotted over town

ADVERTISEMENT
Published Date: 26 November 2008
By sarah cliss
DOES this picture captured by a Citizen reader prove UFOs really do exist?
It was taken by a 23-year-old man living in the Park Road area of Wisbech just over a week ago.

The man, who does not want to be named, caught this unusual light formation in the skies over his home as he watched them silently move over Wisbech with a group of neighbours.

The picture was taken between 9pm and 9.30pm last Monday (November 17).

He has been left shaken by the 'weird' incident.

The man's father said: "He told me all about it, and showed me the pictures he had taken on his phone. I have always sort of believed in UFOs anyway, but this picture certainly looks convincing.

"My son said there were five or six other people watching with him and none of them could quite believe what they were seeing.

"None of them thought it was a plane. There was no noise when it moved. My son is still unsure about whether or not it really is a UFO but it is certainly intriguing."

Did you see the strange phenomenon? Did you take any pictures of the strange lights? Let us know – contact the newsdesk on 01945-586135.

The full article contains 212 words and appears in Fenland Citizen newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

* Last Updated: 26 November 2008 12:43 PM
* Source: Fenland Citizen

edited for removing superflus material

Thanks for posting these, Dingo667 - They make interesting reading.
:)

tony_carson said:
Thanks for posting these, Dingo667 - They make interesting reading.
:)

Thanks for a positive post :D
I would love people from other areas to post their little UFO sightings, I would find that interesting too but either they don't happen anywhere else or nobody thinks its good enough [serious enough] to post, which is a shame. I will keep my eyes open here in the Fens, who knows maybe there will be a weird enough sighting one day that'll make the bigger news. 8)

uair01 said:
There was an article yesterday about UFO's above the Netherlands, but I'm too tired to translate right now:
Well, I can wait for the translation, because that's a cracking good photograph!

The sort of thing that sends a shiver up my spine if I think it might be 'real'...

I thing that picture is a collage of something that went round and round. I saw a video about this somewhere and it seems that there are two times two lamps, as if there are cars in the air and they seem to go round in a circle and make for pretty good viewing however I can't remember where I saw it and as I am eating at the moment, I don't want to do a search [maybe later].
Whilst these are brilliant, I think it is more a post for the "latest" UFO sightings rather than "local" as this is known all over the net and in large newspapers. I was more interested in those little sightings that don't make it into the mainstream.
Still, interesting.

Hey Dingo. I did a mail here a while ago explaining local lights and a mobile phone movie of mysterious lights over Stratford upon Avon. Digging through the local papers it seemed everyone jumped from point A to point Z and saw ufos when it was later reported there was a wedding party down the road setting off chinese lantern balloons AT THE SAME TIME the local Firework Baron was testing some of his own further afield.

It's good to get local reports from around the country though...that's what these threads are for isn't it?

That is exactly what I said. ???
I'd like reports from around the country or even other countries as long as it is LOCAL. I am always interested in "big news" but what I am after is just what you described, even if it turns out to be balloons.
However some might be truly inexplainable but will never make it to the big news.
There might be gems in the waiting.

Dingo667 said:
I'd like reports from around the country or even other countries as long as it is LOCAL.
Everywhere is local to someone or other! ;)

Local UFO reports

Here is a local story.

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/UFO ... 4748543.jp

As is said in the story the Christmas fair was on with lights and all sorts of stuff. There were lots of people around at the time, so strange only one person saw it and also the power cut was from 8.30pm to 10pm so I am not too certain how accurate it is, but it fills the criteria I think.

Re: Local UFO reports

GreyRabbit said:
Here is a local story.

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/UFO ... 4748543.jp

As is said in the story the Christmas fair was on with lights and all sorts of stuff. There were lots of people around at the time, so strange only one person saw it and also the power cut was from 8.30pm to 10pm so I am not too certain how accurate it is, but it fills the criteria I think.

Thanks, spot on, more please :yeay:

And more people reporting lights. A few sightings I put down to flares or balloons but some are different. Again with [grainy] photo:
http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/news/Mo ... 4751430.jp

More UFO sightings over Fenland skies

Published Date: 03 December 2008
By sarah cliss
DOZENS of people have contacted the Citizen to report sightings of UFOs in the skies over Fenland following last week's front page picture of some unexplained lights spotted over Wisbech.
Among those who rang in was Doreen Annetts from March who said she had seen a similar set of lights as she drove home early on Tuesday morning after dropping her husband off at work.

She spotted the lights over-head as she travelled along the Twenty Foot from Hobbs Lot bridge at around 5am.

Mrs Annetts said the lights were very bright and looked to be in the same formation as those captured on film by a 23-year-old Wisbech man on Monday November 17 and featured in last week’s Citizen.

She said: “I knew it wasn’t an aeroplane because they usually have various little lights. I’m not somebody who imagines things.”

Michael Marshall from Bourne also called to say he had seen the lights. He spotted them from his hill-top home at around 9.15pm on November 18.

He said they had come in from an easterly direction and were moving over Wisbech.

And a Chatteris man said his daughter had captured some lights on her camera phone a couple of months ago.

He said they were coloured and there were lots of them.

A March woman told how she had spotted a bright light track across the sky as she looked out of the bedroom window of her Green Street home.

She had believed it was a shooting star at first but then noticed it was leaving a trail behind it.

She saw it at around 9pm to 9.30pm on Tuesday.

And a Wimblington couple also spotted a strange orange light in the sky over their Norfolk Street home.

They spotted it at around 10.55pm on Children in Need night. They said the object moved silently through the sky before suddenly disappearing.

“We get a lot of jets over this area and they are noisy. This was quiet and was quite spooky,” said the woman.

And finally Reg Wenn from Chatteris sent in a photo of an object he captured from his home in Acre Fen.

He said: “I have been tracking one of these for over 16 years, it appears in the sky south of my home from time to time, I managed to get a picture of it a few weeks back

“This thing appears and disappears like switching a light on and off.”

http://www.louthleader.co.uk/news/UPDAT ... 4844401.jp

Are UFO's to blame for the chaos at Conisholme wind farm?
Published Date: 05 January 2009
Monday 14.55pm
COULD the damage to a turbine at Conisholme wind farm be the work of UFO's?
Reports of a large bang and flashing lights skimming across the sky on the night a turbine on Conisholme wind farm was damaged have been told.

Mr Stephen Willows and his wife, Dorothy who live in Fen Lane close to the Conisholme wind farm have told the Leader how Stephen was startled in his sleep by a loud bang at 4am Sunday morning.

It is believed the damage which has left one of the massive blades missing and another bent out of shape happened at some point on Sunday night.

They also reported how on Saturday night, Dorothy and two friends were travelling to Louth by car, when Dorothy looked up at the sky to see lights travelling in a strange fashion across the sky towards the wind farm.

Dorothy said: "I don't believe in UFO's but it was a low flying object. This light seemed to be in the distance, and then it seemed to skim across the sky towards the turbines.

"It might not be connected, but it is just how your mind works when something like this happens – you think, could that have been the noise Stephen heard, or was that to do the light I saw? But until we know what has happened for definite it is very hard to say".

The couple went to the scene to have a closer look, and like many residents, take photographs of the damage. But, when they arrived at the scene, they were shocked to find they had little evidence to go on.

"When we got there, there was nothing to be seen - not even the propeller on the ground" added Dorothy.

"Those blades are pretty sturdy – we saw them when they were being constructed – whatever has hit them has made quite an impact. I was shocked to see that there was no debris left".

The company, Ecotricity have since sent engineers down to establish the cause of the damage to the turbine.

Apparently this is the front page story on tommorrow's Sun, too.

(stu edit - this story has a dedicated thread here)

Dingo667 wrote:
She spotted the lights over-head as she travelled along the Twenty Foot from Hobbs Lot bridge at around 5am.
Hobbs Lot eh? Didn't the alien craft in Quatermass and the Pit land at Hobbs Lane? Hob being one old name for the Devil. Wonder if there is an unmade connection there with earlier phenomena.

http://www.thepress.co.uk/news/4035576. ... sightings/

A UFO expert says he has received numerous emails from people who have seen mysterious lights in the skies over York.

Russ Kellett told today how he had been overwhelmed by the response since The Press published a short article last week about three UFO sightings early on New Year’s Day, and urged readers to contact him if they too had seen something.

The newspaper said that big white balls of light had reportedly been seen over York Minster, the Pottery Lane area and near the university.

Mr Kellett, of Filey, said he had since received 18 emails from people across the city who had also seen UFOs at that time, which was probably the second biggest response he had ever known to such an article.

He said one York person emailed him to say: “I had just finished work, so I sat down to smoke a cigarette on a bench outside, when I noticed a light above me to my left. As the object travelled towards me, I could see that there were tubes of lights coming from the underneath which were pulsating, but there was no sound. It travelled quite fast from my right to left where it went out of view. It was around 12.30 to 12.45 am.”

Another wrote: “I was in the garden saying good night to friends after our New Year’s party when my husband called me to come back outside to take a look at an object in the sky. The object was like a very big red ball in the sky. It seemed to stop in the sky for two or three minutes. Then it just disappeared.”

A third said they saw three very large circular objects, one of which moved off fast and disappeared while the other two just vanished, while a fourth said they saw an object in the sky while travelling towards Barlby on the A19. It then split up into three white balls of light and shot off at great speed.

But a woman from Wigginton has also come forward with a possible explanation for at least some of the sightings. Renee Smith told The Press she had lit a Chinese lantern and let it float into the sky early on New Year’s Day, in memory of her sister who had died of cancer early last year, and she thought some people might have mistaken it for a UFO.

A spokesman for RAF Linton on Ouse said the base was closed over the New Year period, but he was not aware of any UFO sightings in the region.

Interesting. Most of those "little" sightings would probably all be forgotten because they are not taken very seriously. By reporting "local news" or personal ones, maybe links can be established, when some might have flown from A-B which normally would not have been noticed.
Keep reading your local news and let me know more. :p

I came across this on the Guardian site:
I still can't explain what I saw
Malcolm Smith
The Guardian, Saturday 14 October 2006

It was 40 years or so back, but I can recall it vividly. It was a calm, clear morning, sunny with a breeze. I had walked to the highest point around to meet a schoolfriend to go walking and take in the spectacular views. We trudged these hills regularly. I knew every view, knew what to expect. The russet tinges of cottongrass in autumn. A light green flush of new plants in spring. And, as summer progressed, a pale straw colour as the life gradually faded out of the sedges.

But this spring morning there was a strange shape in the familiar landscape. It was a mile or so to the north, on the brow of the next ridge. A white object. Not startlingly white like fresh snow. A sort of uniformly dull parchment white. Set against the spring green vegetation, it stood out because it was so incongruous.

Its shape was odd. An igloo-like half dome of polygon-shaped sections, its flat base on the ground. A geodesic dome like those at the Eden Project, but smaller and opaque.

As always, I carried binoculars, so there was no doubting the object's shape. It was the size of a small house. It didn't move; there was a steady breeze but the dome didn't shake or flutter, even though I had the sense it was made of a fabric-like material rather than something solid. It had no windows or doors that were visible. No other features.

Then I noticed sheep running from it. Sheep are everywhere in these hills. Sometimes you surprise one in a world of its own, chomping away on tough old grasses. It runs off, startled. But only for a few yards.

These sheep were really startled. They ran and ran, 30, 40, 50 yards. Yet the object didn't move at all.

I looked around in every other direction. I suppose I was doing a reality check. Everything else looked as it always did. The far-off peaks, the stone-built cairn to the north-east, the distant conifer plantations. Nothing else was different.

So there was just me - a 16-year-old boy - and a white dome. I kept staring at it. Then, suddenly, it began to move. Silently. Not in the direction of the wind but almost directly against it. Slowly and perfectly smoothly. It looked as if it might be gliding a few inches above the rough sedges and moor grass.

Within a few seconds the dome had disappeared from view down a gentle slope into a shallow stream valley. I never saw it again. I had watched it for 15 minutes. It had left no evidence of flattened vegetation.

"Did you see that?" I asked my friend when he arrived later and from a different direction.

"See what?" he said. The ridge hadn't been visible to him.

The image is still there, ingrained in my subconscious, as fresh now as if I was standing again on that isolated hill. I have told only a few people. When you've seen something you can't explain, you become sensitive to those glances that imply you've made it up. After all, there's nobody to corroborate it. Where I saw it was - and still is - one of the least inhabited places in Britain. There was no one else around that day, nor most days, on those denuded hills.

An ex-GP I told was convinced I had been hallucinating. On stream water? In central Wales in the 1960s?

But what I saw that day was no apparition. Over the years, I've trudged back several times to the spot where I stood (I still go walking with that boyhood friend) and to the place where the object stood when I first spotted it - a slightly raised ridge of rocky ground in the shallow undulations of those waterlogged, peaty hills. I can't shake off its image.

Today I look at that spot and wonder if I'll ever know what that incredible dome was. It wasn't a grounded weather balloon - it didn't billow even a fraction in the stiff breeze. Was it some kind of prototype transport for use on rough or wet ground being tested out of the public gaze? But why so far from any habitation or road? Why no windows or doors? How could anyone steering see where it was going?

It is the only object I have ever seen for which I have no explanation. But that image is as clear now as it was then, hotwired in my brain. I've never referred to it as a UFO. Unidentified, yes. But it didn't fly.

I thought I would have forgotten about it long ago, but the desire for an explanation remains undimmed. I think about it now more than ever, but I have no answers. Perhaps I never will have.

Thought I'd put it here, though I don't know where it happened.

My daughter, 28 and a teacher with a very down to earth attitude, saw some unusual lights in the sky on Friday (13th). She was travelling back home with two friends (one a trainee police officer) and they stopped the car to watch two orange glowing objects move across the sky. She rang me on her mobile becaue she was so surprised. I asked her about them and said "Probably Chinese lanterns". Her reply was that they had eventually moved in opposite directions and then together they faded away. Just before she rang, the lights in our house had gone dim on at least five occasions - no high winds to explain it either.

millomite said:
My daughter, 28 and a teacher with a very down to earth attitude, saw some unusual lights in the sky on Friday (13th). She was travelling back home with two friends (one a trainee police officer) and they stopped the car to watch two orange glowing objects move across the sky. She rang me on her mobile becaue she was so surprised. I asked her about them and said "Probably Chinese lanterns". Her reply was that they had eventually moved in opposite directions and then together they faded away. Just before she rang, the lights in our house had gone dim on at least five occasions - no high winds to explain it either.

Oooh, where about was this then? Maybe others have seen them as well?

I can't rememebr what year exactly, but a late night chat DJ on my local radio station (Alan Robson, Metro FM) played a prank by saying that a UFO had been seen hovering above Newcastle.

Within minutes, people began ringing in with very detailed descriptions of the fictional craft, one person claiming that they were looking at it there and then from their tower block window. All the stories were similar and the craft's movements could be plotted across the North East of England, apparently being witnessed by hundereds of people.

Now this in itself is interesting but I wonder what sort of similar thing is happening when an object is reported in the media and then further sightings/witnesses come forward later.

Dingo667 said:
millomite said:

Oooh, where about was this then? Maybe others have seen them as well?

In the Duddon Valley, South West Cumbria. There have been recent sightings of unusual objects in the sky but some have later been explained as the lanterns people are keen on using these days. The North West Evening Mail ran an article not to long ago on them. You might be able to find their wesite.

Back