• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Look-Alikes

rustysblanket

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi All

This is my 1st post on here so please bear with me and be gentle.

Has anyone got any info or stories about look-a-likes?
My intrest began about 4 years ago when my Granma passed away. We went along to the residental home she had been living in after suffering a stroke and were collecting her belongings. When I got home with my Mum and were goimg though the box my Mum came across a picture and said " Heres one of you and your gran , you might as well keep it. " . She gave me the picture and my jaw dropped as there as large as life was a guy who looked the double of me in the crowd at a garden party type event watching as my Gran collected a prize on stage!!

I was shocked as I knew it wasn't me, but couldn't escape the fact that he looked , dressed and even ' stood ' like I would. I took the photo home and showed it to my girlfriend to see her reaction and she said the same as my mum , that it was a nice picture of me and my Gran. I explained it wasn't me and she didn't believe me! Although she came round when I explained that although he looked and dressed like me I don't have those exact clothes in my wardrobe. The best way to discribe it is my double had a simalar dress sense as me. ( i have since said the double is my ' tribute ' act )

I later returned to the home to find out more about the picture and spoke with the nurse who took it. She was 100% certain it was me and even said hello to ' me ' as she went round taking pictures of the event. She finished by saying it was nice I could have made it as it was only took less than a week before my Granma passed away. When I explained the error she just made out I was confused due to grief. Finally to prove this to myself I went in to the security at work to confirm I had been there on that day and not lost a day somewhere.

Not the strangest of storys but everytime I see that picture I get a falling sensation in my stomach and a feeling that something is very wrong.

I would love to hear your thoughts and if anyone else has had experiences the same as that.

Now that is a good IHTM!

My first reaction was the same as above....you must have been there!
However, if the work security log says otherwise....

Are the work records 100% accurate? Could you have clocked-in, logged-in etc. and then left early and not booked-out? Could someone else have clocked you in?

If not, that is one strange story.

Sounds like the Roger Moore film "The Man Who Haunted Himself"

I love old photosand have noticed when checking out Victorian family or crowd scenes that I see the familiar faces of people I know now.

I think perhaps we all fit into a set of physical 'types' and if we look enough we will see near dopplegangers for most people.

You aren't one half of adopted twins are you?

We have threads on this but it's nice to see the subject discussed afresh. :D

The day I met our Techy, he showed me a painting which a friend of his had done for him, of an imaginary girl with Tarot cards.
It was the image of my eldest daughter, whom he'd never met. :shock:

It had been painted a few years before, when she was just a child, but it resembled her in her late teens: or rather, it portrayed an image of how she rather fancied herself, as a mysteriously occult spirit-girl... ;)

Everyone who sees it thinks it's a portrait of her.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Now that is a good IHTM!

My first reaction was the same as above....you must have been there!
However, if the work security log says otherwise....

Are the work records 100% accurate? Could you have clocked-in, logged-in etc. and then left early and not booked-out? Could someone else have clocked you in?

If not, that is one strange story.

I worked in the maintenace dept of a building society head office and almost every door was sealed with a ' mag-lock ' door that required you to swipe each and everytime you use them. Also the security dept computers logged everytime you used a door. I have seen my log for that day and I was in work and it logged everytime I used any doors. In some areas the doors even had a pin number that was only known to me so I had to be there to open the doors.

I agree it is strange. I will dig the pic out when I get home and scan it along side a photo of me at the time to post and show everyone. But the photo is eerie and not one that I like looking at. I think since seeing it I have a subconcious dread now that there is a ' evil twin ' out there! And in the same geographic location to boot.

I often wonder if my ' tribute act ' also has put on 2 stone of weight when he quit smoking? LOL :shock:

Ah, a true mystery then.

Get that bloody scanner warmed-up man!

CarlosTheDJ said:
Ah, a true mystery then.

Get that bloody scanner warmed-up man!

As soon as I get home tomorrow I will dig the pic out along with a suitable pic of myself at the time.

But does this undermine the whole question of doppelgangers ( that word always sounds like some dodgey dutch ' art film ' ) because i am trying to find a pic that matches the one with my double in?

It would be useful to get your hands on any other photos taken the same day in the same place, but that's probably impossible now. It would have been good if you could have seen this doppelganger from another angle to see if they still looked identical to you or it was an unintentional trick of the lens.

It could be one of 3 options the way I see it;

a) a doppleganger from another dimension.
b) an identical twin that you never knew you had.
c) it was you, you just don't remember and your work have the wrong information logged about your being there.

I don't know which of the three is more likely but what a great IHTM!

4) Could be a projection, a sort of living ghost.

This reminded me of an incident that happened to me many years ago when I was a teenager. A friend and I were walking home from the local swimming pool one summer afternoon. We were about to pass by a man working in his front yard when he stopped us to ask in a very puzzled manner, "Didn't I just see you girls go by?!"

We said no -- he'd just seen our identical twin sisters go by. Yes, we each had an identical twin, we'd all been at the pool together, and each set of twins was dressed very similarly. But our twin sisters got a head start on walking home together.

I caught sight of a woman I used to work with a couple of weekends ago at a campsite. But I didn't go up to say hello, as she's the spitting image of Helen Adams from Big Brother 2 and I couldn't actually be sure which one she was.

:?

Something similer happend to me.A few years ago when i was still living at my mums house i was cleaning my teeth in the bathroom which is directly facing my bedroom when i got the wierdest feeling, so i turned round to see myself standing in my bedroom. I didnt have a mirror in there and the 'other me' was wearing different clothes. It definatly made me freak then it just moved and vanished. A couple of days later i walked up the stairs to find my mum chatting away in her bedroom and when she saw me she looked really odd and said how did you get down stairs i just saw you in your bedroom i was talking to you.
I hadnt told her about what id seen.
But you definatly have to show us this photo. This is a great IHTM definatly one to get everyone thinking.

What a fantastic story. Who else was in the photographs? Any other family members?

I'm busy re-reading all my Sherlock Holmes collection and this is a case for Holmes if ever there was one.

The solution would no doubt involve a separated at birth twin possibly due to some sort of unforseen danger. Or an imposter, trying to get at an inheritance probably.

Either way, they'd dash somewhere in a hansom and eat a cold supper on The Strand. You could always try that, if that's any help to you.

rustysblanket said:
She was 100% certain it was me and even said hello to ' me ' as she went round taking pictures of the event. She finished by saying it was nice I could have made it as it was only took less than a week before my Granma passed away.

Perhaps, you just bi-located: you needed to be in two places at once, so you were.

:)

Hmmm...

The July 3rd post was the last he made. The doppelganger finally replaced him but didn't know he'd been posting here! :p

On a slightly more serious note rustysblanket (if you ever do return), I was wondering if you were even aware that the event at which the photo was taken was even occurring.

I have a look-alike. I haven't met him myself, but a friend did. Apparently he was my exact double!

Umm don't some people say seeing your own doppelganger is a portent of doom/ misfortune :shock: ....... so maybe he can't reply right now........hope he is ok and will post soon.....

Wasn't there a book years ago about a teacher who would teach her class and then suddenly feel faint and collapse.......and her double would appear outside the window and just wander around the school grounds seen by her class and everyone else in the school, they'd know if it was the double because it didn't interact with people or 'talk'. I'll have to dig that story out sometime......

Maybe for some people a soul can detach and float around a while (like astral travel).......or perhaps there are parrallel universes and somehow the fabric of space time gets warped for a few seconds. Supernatural aside, they do say everyone has a living 'double' in the world as we are all so genetically similar......( celebrity look a likes wouldn't be making money otherwise LOL)..

Anyway, here's my strange 'double' experience......

My aunt was once really cross with me and I asked her what the matter was and she said "I passed you walking down the road a few days ago and I said hello but you ignored me, completely blanked me"...........I asked her where it happened as I certainly wouldn't have done that on purpose (she bears a grudge for a long time LOL)......she answered 'in Chatteris' which is quite a distance from here...20 miles or so.......I told her I have never been to chatteris. She said "I know what you look like I see you every week.......it was you! Stop lying." It definitely WASN'T me. Apaft from the fact that I have never been there I don't drive, there is no way it could have been me. On the day in question I was actually working aswell. Still to this day she is adamant I was there and maintains that I'm just trying to 'cover my tracks' for 'ignoring' her.

Anyway, great thread, glad I'm not alone............any one else.......?

About eighteen years ago my then boyfriend and myself went to visit my parents in the Midlands. My mother mildly disapproved of him and even though we were living together she made us sleep in seperate rooms, him upstairs and me in the livingroom. The boyfriend had got up one morning and was sitting on the edge of the bed putting his socks on when he swore blind that I walked into the bedroom, glared at him and told him to hurry up as we were going to be late. Trouble is that I was still downstairs on the sofa when all this was happening.

WabbitHunter said:
The boyfriend had got up one morning and was sitting on the edge of the bed putting his socks on when he swore blind that I walked into the bedroom, glared at him and told him to hurry up as we were going to be late. Trouble is that I was still downstairs on the sofa when all this was happening.

Which makes me wonder just how much of our time do we really spend asleep?

Thanks for the link Rynner, I've posted some more there too....

I have a lookalike too, here in the same city. I’ve seen him a couple of times, and I’ve even been photographed in a group shot where he popped up as a passer-by! Of course, he’s never done anything spooky.

What do 'I' look like?

Having a double is something I can relate to. When I was a kid I'd often walk through the local park with my nan and her dog. There was a bloke we'd sometimes see who looked like my stepfather. Both of us would think it was him. I remember her once waving madly at him one evening with me at her side shouting my stepfather's name. The bloke was on the opposite side of the park, and either didn't hear us or chose to ignore us (what with our being a pair of weirdos in his eyes).

I too have a lookalike (or possibly more than one - it's difficult to know for sure). I first became aware of this when I was in my bank one day and the cashier started up a conversation with me saying that she'd seen me in a club the previous weekend. I queried her on it to get more details and had to tell her it wasn't me. For a start I never went out in the town where the club was (at least not at night), and secondly I am not a club-goer. I preferred the pubs in the smaller towns and villages in my locale. This occurred about a decade ago. I've since moved to the next town down the road and happen to have got a job in the larger town where the club was situated (but I still don't go round it at night - it's not my scene at all).

Over the years, on the odd occasion, various people tell me they've seen me (typically in the town where I now work), and I have to inform them that they are mistaken, and that it must have be my double. I have never seen him, myself, but I came close to it a couple of months ago. I will often call in at my local on my way home from work (it's handily in between the bus stop and my home), and a few weeks ago I was surprised to be told that I'd already been in. A person whom my drinking buddies said was 'the spit' of me had been sat in one of the alcoves near to their table. They'd been on the point of calling 'me' over or going to speak to me but decided I wanted some privacy. I WISH I'd been able to see him, just to compare us, and finally have a true image of this mysterious person. I don't know whether I'd be freaked out or not if we did bump into each other.

However, what would be seriously shiver-inducing is if it turned out to be this other fellow who started work at my company a while ago who has the very same name as me. Both my forename and surname have variant spellings, and his are identical to mine. We work in the same town (but on different sites), and we keep getting sent each other's emails. It's a global company with lots of sites in the UK, so ppl won't necessarily spot the difference when looking us up in the online address book. I know he's not related to me, and I also know it's highly unlikely that he'll look anything like me at all, but somewhere in the back of my mind, there's the Twilight Zone theme tune playing ever so faintly...

Look A Likes

I think perhaps we all fit into a set of physical 'types' and if we look enough we will see near dopplegangers for most people.

I had an uncanny resemblance to the Governor of Connecticut who at the time was most unpopular. I was actually mistaken for him and stared at on many occasions.

Of all of the "Physical types" to fit into! :oops:

the evil twin syndrome hah :D

I have a couple people in my city that look alot like me if you road by them on a fast horse

I've always called those people " dopplegangers "

I know I have a double in the next suburb although I've never seen her. When I was relief teaching at one of the local schools some years back some of the children said they has seen a woman who looked just like me.
Also one day in Big W some fellow kept following me wherever I went and then finally said "Don't you work in the bait shop in Noble Park?" Must have been a mad keen fisherman, but he had me worried for a bit lol.

When I joined my Gym they looked really confused but said nothing. A year later I started playing tennis and the coach called me Matt. I corrected him (my name is Andrew) but he just laughed and said "Whatever, Matt." Now everyone at the gym calls me Matt and I've given up correcting them. In the locker room I questioned another tennis player about it and he informed me that there is another member called Matt who is the spitting image of me. He's gonna get a shock when he turns up for tennis only to find a doppelganger who has assumed his name!

Back