Lost & Found

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
That's one piece (of the sculpture that went MIA a half-century ago) down, with two more to go ...
Piece of missing sculpture resurfaces in antiques store 50 years later

A piece of a sculpture that went missing from the Los Angeles Public Library 50 years ago has resurfaced in an Arizona antiques shop.

Floyd Lillard, owner of the Miners and Merchants antiques store in Bisbee, said he obtained the sculpture portion about 10 years ago, and his quest to find its origins was put on hold for a time while he battled cancer.

"If I hadn't made it through, no one would have remembered," Lillard told KOLD-TV. "No one would have known."

Lillard said a recent hunt for clues on Google brought him an old photo from a California newspaper showing the Well of Scribes, a sculpture that disappeared in 1969 from the Central Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library.

"You could only see half of the well in the picture," Lillard said. "That's the half that I had."

Lillard's portion is one of three pieces that composed the entire sculpture. He said he has been in contact with the Los Angeles Public Library about bringing the sculpture home.

The final two pieces of the sculpture are still missing, but Lillard said he has hope they might still be found.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...re-50-years-later/7601568834625/?spt=slh&or=1

EnolaGaia

Staff member
That's rather fine - I wonder what the full list of figures is?
If you're asking about the missing LA Public Library sculpture ...
Well of Scribes

1926, Bertram Goodhue and Lee Lawrie. Now lost. The well commemorated scribes of all nations. Formerly in front of the Los Angeles Public Library. The scheme was as follows (the is based on the "Hand Book of the Central Building Los Angeles Public Library", published in 1927, p. 16.): it showed writers of all races and times inscribing the records of their nations. Central was Pegasus with the torch, serpent and stars, symbols of knowledge, wisdom and inspiration. To the right was the group that represented the European tradition - the Greek, the Roman, the Hebrew, the Monastic Clerk, followed by the two American figures, the Aztec, with the symbol of the Sun above his chisel, and the North American Indian painting his pictographs upon a skin. To the left were the Egyptian, the Chaldean, the Phoenician the Chinese, the Arab, and the Paleolithic artist with a sabre-tooth over his head, sketching his cave image of the mammoth. The shell above the fountain, from which water issued, represented the western sun sinking beneath the waves.
SOURCE: http://www.publicartinla.com/LAPL/well_scribes.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This painting's discovery is going to be a huge windfall for the elderly woman who'd had it hanging in her kitchen.
Long-lost 13th-century painting found hanging in woman's kitchen

A long-lost painting by pre-Renaissance painter Cimabue is headed to auction after being found hanging in an older French woman's kitchen.

Experts said the Compiegne woman decided to have the painting hanging in her kitchen appraised and numerous tests were conducted that confirmed it to be the work of 13th-century Italian artist Cimabue, aka Cenni di Pepo.

Eric Turquin, an expert who examined the painting, said it appears to be a panel from a polyptych, a work of several painted scenes divided into multiple panels. He said the wood panel of the painting matches with other known Cimabue paintings from the same work.

The 10-inch painting, titled Mocking of Christ, is expected to fetch up to $6.5 million when it is auctioned Oct. 27 by Acteon.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...hanging-in-womans-kitchen/5661569336023/?sl=4

See Also:
https://www.apnews.com/a18e2d27e5a64d80801e9c854d9a2ab1

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Right, I'm ninety-five years old and never had fun in my life. Prepare for a proper mocking of Christ until the $6.5 million runs out!

That would be ten minutes, then. :thought:

Christ wins, again! :doh:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This lost doggie averaged 100 miles a year (headed away from home) before being discovered and returned to its owner.
Lost dog found 400 miles away four years after disappearance

A dog that went missing from a Northern California home was found four years later -- and more than 400 miles away.

The Riverside County Department of Animal Services said an 8-year-old German shepherd named Kimber was found wandering loose by a member of the public in Fontana.

Kimber's owner was identified as a man from Grass Valley, more than 400 miles away.

The man, who drove down to Fontana to pick up Kimber from the shelter, said he does not know how the dog managed to travel so far or where it has been for the past four years.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...years-after-disappearance/3181570641648/?sl=1

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Here's another incredibly overdue library book item.

It was returned the year after the library stopped charging late fees. Luck? Coincidence? You decide!
California woman returns library book 74 years overdue

A California woman who was cleaning out her study found a library book her mother had checked out 74 years earlier -- and she returned it.

Berkeley Library workers said they were surprised Friday when Jean Durham brought in a copy of Sir Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake that her mother had checked out in 1945.

"My mother did buy some books but mostly she came to the Berkeley Public Library. We were always surrounded by books," Durham told Berkeleyside.

Library officials said there was no fine, as the facility did away with late fees in 2018.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...ary-book-74-years-overdue/3141571688399/?sl=1

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This painting's discovery is going to be a huge windfall for the elderly woman who'd had it hanging in her kitchen. ...
Update ...

The painting has been auctioned, and it brought circa 4 times as much as estimated ...
Masterpiece found in French woman’s kitchen sells for $26.6M

An old painting found in the kitchen of an elderly French woman, who considered it an icon of little importance, has made her a multimillionaire.

The work, a masterpiece attributed to the 13th-century Italian painter Cimabue that was discovered earlier this year, sold for 24 million euros ($26.6 million) Sunday.

Dominique Le Coent of Acteon Auction House, who sold the masterpiece to an anonymous buyer near Chantilly, north of Paris, said the sale represented a “world record for a primitive, or a pre-1500 work.”

“It’s a painting that was unique, splendid and monumental. Cimabue was the father of the Renaissance. But this sale goes beyond all our dreams,” Le Coent told The Associated Press.

An auctioneer spotted the painting in June while inspecting a woman’s house in Compiegne in northern France and suggested she bring it to experts for an evaluation. It hung on a wall between the kitchen and dining room.

The woman will now receive “the majority” of the sale money, the auction house said.

The expected sale price had been 4 million to 6 million euros ($4.4 million to $6.6 million).

Le Coent said experts were off the mark because it was the first time a Cimabue had ever gone under the hammer. “There’s never been a Cimabue painting on sale so there was no reference previously on how much it could make,” he explained. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/385dd0d2451c4cc897169d8723aff514

hunck

Justified & Ancient
The Shaub Lorenz 5001 Music Centre.

1965 technology which enabled the buyer to record 46 hours of radio etc. on a 4" wide tape. We get to gaze in wonder at the gubbins inside and Mr Techmoan speculates about the radio treasures which may be lurking inside these machines and otherwise unpreserved. :cooll:
That's quite a machine for 1965. I wonder what Peggy was up to in the Archers..

hunck

Justified & Ancient
In the video he says the tape is 20 something minutes long but is 4" wide & has a lot of separate tracks - that's how it manages to record 46 hours. It didn't have fast forward so you'd have to listen from the start to locate your recording. If it got to the end of the tape while you were recording, it'd rewind to the start automatically so you'd miss a bit during the process. So all in all a bit clunky.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
It didn't have fast forward so you'd have to listen from the start to locate your recording
You could listen from the start of each track and it used electronic markers to locate items - a feature I thought was new(ish) on my Aiwa machine from three decades later! The clunkiest aspect seems to have been the odd decision to make the tracks the length of an LP-side, instead of the 30-minutes required by a radio show. :buck:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This cat's mystery foray lasted 5 years and brought it 1200 miles away from home ...

Missing Oregon cat found 5 years later in New Mexico

An Oregon family's cat was found more than 1,200 miles away in New Mexico after disappearing five years earlier.

The Santa Fe Animal Shelter said black cat Sasha was identified via microchip after being found recently wandering the streets of the city.

The microchip revealed Sasha's family lived more than 1,200 miles away in Portland.

Viktor Usov, 31, said he was shocked to receive a call from the shelter telling him Sasha had been found.

"I couldn't believe it," Usov said. "We thought the worst, but when we received the call, we were so thankful Sasha was alive and well."

Usov said Sasha must have hitched a ride at some point after disappearing from the family's home five years earlier. ...

The shelter said the case highlights the importance of microchipping pets.

"A simple microchip, which is the size of a grain of rice and is implanted under the pet's skin, helped us find the guardian of this missing cat," said Murad Kirdar, the shelter's public relations manager.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...years-later-in-New-Mexico/1521574182308/?sl=3

EnolaGaia

Staff member
NASA has finally located the final resting place of India's Vikram lunar lander, which "went dark" after separating from the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter to attempt a moon landing.
NASA Finally Discovers The Shattered Remnants of India's Lost Moon Lander

NASA announced Monday that it had finally found the crash site of India's lost lunar lander, Vikram. Images taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera show the lander's crash site about 600 km (372 miles) from the Moon's south pole, shown below, including an impact point and field of debris surrounding it. ...

Vikram was part of India's Chandrayaan-2 mission to send an orbiter, lander, and rover to the Moon's surface. Those ambitions were cut short when the Indian Space Research Organization lost touch with the lander as it was approaching the lunar surface on September 7 after being released by the orbiter.

Two and a half months after the agency lost contact, the ISRO finally admitted the lander crashed - a week before NASA discovered the lander's crash site.

The lander, with an orbiter and a rover called Pragyaan in tow, launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on July 15. The orbiter is currently in full operation.

The lander was set to make India only the fourth country after the US, the USSR, and China to softly land a manmade object on the Moon. ...
SOURCE (With Photos of the Crash Site): https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-finds-shattered-remnants-of-india-s-lost-moon-rover

Council chiefs are searching for the owner of a wedding ring that was left in a ballot box during the General Election in the UK.

The ring, described on the Trafford Council Twitter account as having “distinctive features”, was discovered in a ballot box from a local primary school.

“It was found in the Cloverlea Primary School ballot box, Hale Barns. If it’s yours please call Access Trafford on 0161 912 2000 so we can reunite you with it! There are distinctive features to the ring that the owner should be able to describe, so if you think it could be yours please #ring”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...f-wedding-ring-left-in-ballot-box-970267.html