Lost & Found

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
A UK man returned a library book his mother had checked out circa 76 years ago.
Book returned to library in England after nearly 76 years

A British library said it has a new record for an overdue book after a tome was recently returned nearly 76 years after its due date.

The Bradford Council's Keighley Library in England said officials recently received an email from Charlie Studdy, who found a play called This Way To The Tomb by Ronald Duncan while sorting through some of his family's books. ...

The book bore markers from the library and had a due date of July 17, 1946. ...

Studdy hand-delivered the book to the library. He said his deceased mother, Eileen Hoyle, must have checked the book out while she was living in nearby Haworth.

Librarians calculated the book would have amassed $4,357.86 in late fees at the current rate, but officials chose to waive the fine. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/06/22/Keighley-Library-76-years-overdue/3141655927457/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
A stowaway cat was discovered on a delivery truck in Scotland. Identifying its home is difficult, because the cat could have boarded the truck at any of several locations over a broad area.
Stowaway cat on delivery truck could have come from any of several cities

Animal rescuers in Scotland said they are trying to solve the mystery of a cat that stowed away on a delivery truck -- and may have come from any of several locations in Scotland and England.

The Scottish SPCA said the cat, dubbed Maverick by rescuers, was brought to the rescue group after being found aboard a delivery truck. ...

Officials said they are trying to track down the feline's owner, but the situation is complicated because they don't know when the feline boarded the truck.

The truck started its journey in Barsley, England, and the vehicle then traveled to Scotland and stopped in North Berwick, Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy, Dundee, Perth and Glasgow before the cat was discovered in Bridge of Weir. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/06/22/scotland-stowaway-cat-delivery-truck/8931655918248/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk

EnolaGaia

Staff member
A UK man was reunited with his iPhone, which he'd lost in the River Wye 10 months earlier. It was still working ...
iPhone returned to owner after 10 months underwater in British river

An iPhone lost in a British river during a bachelor party was returned to its owner after being found in the water 10 months later -- and it still worked.

Miguel Pacheco said he found the phone in the water while canoeing with his family this month in the River Wye in Cinderford, Gloucestershire ...

"I didn't think it was any good. It was full of water" ...

Pacheco said he used an air compressor to dry out the iPhone and was surprised when it turned on once plugged into a charger. ...

Pacheco posted photos of the phone and its lock screen, an image of a man and a woman, in the Cinderford Noticeboard Facebook group.

The ... man in the photo was eventually identified as Owain Davies of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Davies said he had been canoeing as part of a bachelor party on the River Wye when he fell into the water. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...n-River-Wye-Cinderford-England/3241656003846/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
That's a lot of lost personal data.

For many, after-work drinks are a common way of relaxing after a busy week.

But one worker in Japan could be nursing a protracted hangover after he lost a USB memory stick following a night out with colleagues.

Why? It contained the personal details of nearly half a million people. The unnamed man placed the memory stick in his bag before an evening of drinking in the city of Amagasaki, north-west of Osaka.He spent several hours drinking in a local restaurant before eventually passing out on the the street, local media reported. When he eventually came around, he realised that both his bag and the memory stick were missing.

The Japanese broadcaster NHK reports that the man, said to be in his 40s, works for a company tasked with providing benefits to tax-exempt households. He had transferred the personal information of the entire city's residents onto the drive on Tuesday evening before meeting colleagues for a night on the town.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-61921222

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Randy Bachman (Guess Who; Bachman-Turner Overdrive) has been reunited with his beloved Gretsch guitar that was stolen in 1977.
Rock star Randy Bachman reunited with beloved stolen guitar

Canadian rock legend Randy Bachman’s long search came to an end Friday when he was reunited in Tokyo with a cherished guitar 45 years after it was stolen from a Toronto hotel.

“My girlfriend is right there,” said Bachman, 78, a former member of The Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, as the Gretsch guitar on which he wrote “American Woman” and other hits was handed to him by a Japanese musician who had bought it at a Tokyo store in 2014 without knowing its history.

He said all guitars are special, but the orange 1957 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins he bought as a teenager was exceptional. He worked at multiple jobs to save money to buy the $400 guitar, his first purchase of an expensive instrument, he said. ...

When it was stolen from the Toronto hotel in 1977, “I cried for three days. It was part of me,” he said. “It was very, very upsetting.” He ended up buying about 300 guitars in unsuccessful attempts to replace it, he said.

Bachman talked frequently about the missing guitar in interviews and on radio shows, and more recently on YouTube programs ...

In 2020, a Canadian fan who heard the story of the guitar launched an internet search and successfully located it in Tokyo ...

The fan, William Long, used a small spot in the guitar’s wood grain visible in old images as a “digital fingerprint” and tracked the instrument down to a vintage guitar shop site in Tokyo. A further search led him to a YouTube video showing the instrument being played by a Japanese musician, TAKESHI, in December 2019. ...

TAKESHI agreed to give it to Bachman in exchange for one that was very similar. So Bachman searched and found the guitar’s “sister” — made during the same week, with a close serial number, no modifications and no repairs. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-japan-toronto-97efeb21c42c13bb0d1b983d3b72b6ac

hunck

Antediluvian
Orient Express Carriages

Railway aficionado spotted what he thought could be original Orient Express carriages on a YouTube video.

Mettetal wasn't just a railway fan, he was working on a PhD on the history of the Orient Express. His research involved trying to ascertain how many original Orient Express train carriages still exist today, where they were located, who owned them and what condition they were in.

He eventually tracked them down to Polish town Małaszewicze on the border between Poland and Belarus, went there & found 13 carriages dating from 20s & 30s which had been there for at least a decade.

Over the next two years, Accor's Orient Express team tracked down the owner of the Małaszewicze carriages. They also found four additional carriages parked in other countries, including Germany and Switzerland. Accor negotiated a purchase deal for a total of 17 cars, including 12 sleeper cars, a restaurant, three lounges and one van. The carriages were then transported by police convoy across Europe to France.

Fast forward to today and Accor's Orient Express group has grand plans for the rediscovered carriages. The goal is the cars will operate on a Paris to Istanbul route from 2024, a reimagined version of the Nostalgie Istanbul Orient Express.

The carriages are currently being renovated by Parisian architect Maxime d'Angeac, who tells CNN Travel the "once in a lifetime" project was the kind that "you cannot refuse.”

The interior of the rediscovered carriages includes Art Deco marquetry panels by English decorators Morrison and Nelson, as well as glass panels by French craftsman René Lalique. The first time d'Angeac saw the existing interiors, he says he felt "real emotion."
1656799257496.png