• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LOST

Rubyait wrote:

This is a musical version of Lost. You will need sound

Funny that!! :lol:

Ah cool, worth a listen then. I shall have a look again later.

Another good episode on E4 - nothing major, just drawing a few threads together and preparing for the push to the end of the series - I think we have 3 epsidoes left no?

One thought:

spoilers

Rather spooky what with their arresting a terrorist cell in Australia recently 9see Conspiracies). If that hadn't have happened I might have been a tad sceptical about Islamofascists [sick [sic]] having enough of a toe hold down under.

/spoilers

When does the second season start here in the UK?

Rubyait said:
When does the second season start here in the UK?

There is some discussion here:

www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/showthread.php?t=18588

and someone has done there sums and come sot the worrying conclusion that if they don't start showing series 2 immediately after series 1 finishes then it is is going to run into Big Brother and so they may wait until August. This would be A Bad Idea as the R1 DVD would be out by then and those that hadn't already downloaded it will be buying that rather than wait sooooo long.

I suspect once there is news it'll get a lot of coverage.

:_omg: thats aaaaaages! Hopefully it wont be shown as late as August. Why not show it early feb and while they are at it, for the good of us all, scrap BB.

Well the current series ends in 3 weeks so in theory they could carry straight on with series 2 and then that would run straight into Big Brother and they could even start series 3 after BB so they could if they did that effectively own that time slot (well OK they'll lose me for the BB bit but...). As we are way behind nearly everyone else in the world this is doable and as series 1 ends on a cliffhanger it'd work nicely to get people chewing at the bit for the next series.

Conversely if they ran series 2 after BB they'd be way behind and it the raction would be lukewarm by then.

Ultimately I suppose it depends on the UK rights. Someone on that thread wondered if the Irish rights might be partly tied to the UK rights or perhaps we were just really slack?

If it is going to run in late Jan early Feb though wouldn't we have heard about it by now?

Mighty_Emperor said:
Well the current series ends in 3 weeks so in theory they could carry straight on with series 2 and then that would run straight into Big Brother and they could even start series 3 after BB so they could if they did that effectively own that time slot

They might run Series 2 on E4 then repeat it on Channel 4 later in the year. They messed about with "Six Feet Under" like that and I lost interest. :(

austen27 said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
Well the current series ends in 3 weeks so in theory they could carry straight on with series 2 and then that would run straight into Big Brother and they could even start series 3 after BB so they could if they did that effectively own that time slot

They might run Series 2 on E4 then repeat it on Channel 4 later in the year. They messed about with "Six Feet Under" like that and I lost interest. :(

It would be a shame if they did that. I would have thought it has a large enough audience to keep it on CH4 but i guess that would depend on the gap between series. Fingers crossed.

The sites are well done.

Can I slip on an anorak and say I noticed one mistake so far:

http://www.driveshaftband.com/driveSHAFTGallery2.htm

The telephone number on the old Driveshaft ticket has an 061 code even though it is dated 2000, five years after British telephone numbers acquired the "01" prefix.

Stop looking at me like that ...

I do have a life ...

Honest!

That could be deliberate, to ensure they don't accidentally put a real number in there and have every Lost fan in the world ringing it.

It is the number for Manchester Uni, really. Assuming you put a 1 in it.

I missed last weeks E4 as I was in the pub so I got to do the double again - and what a great double it was :)

I suppose the one of big interest was the penultimate episode for this first series:

spoilers
Lots of great flashbacks expanding on things and tying up a few ends here and there - it was a bit of an epsidoe for that.

I suppose the big one for me was them arriving at the Black Rock - well done to everyone involved for wrong footing me - I went "Oooooooooooo"

They've done really nciely to build tension for the last epsidoe but WTF!!:

/spoilers

The last epsidoe is going to be on Channel 4 Weds 11th Jan when terrestrial catches up.

I shall avert my eyes. I missed BOTH episodes last night so have two to look forward to next week. 8)

Mighty_Emperor said:
The last epsidoe is going to be on Channel 4 Weds 11th Jan when terrestrial catches up.
You say that, but I caught the "Black Rock" episode on E4 (well, E4+1 if I'm going to be pedantic), and at the end, they said that there'll be a season-ending double bill next week (Jan 4th) on Channel 4, and implied that there will be no more on E4 this season. No news on the showing of the second series yet. Like the rest of you, I do hope that they show it pretty soon, while there's still a good bit of momentum going. If they wait until autumn, I'm sure the ratings won't be the same.

The E4 episode last night was a vast improvement on the one that preceded it on C4. Am I the only one starting to find the character of Kate intensely annoying? She veered last night from lovey-dovey to murderous (OK, technically manslaughterous, but still...) in the blink of an eye - it's getting silly. A small gripe, and the next episode was much better. I'm sure the finale will be great.

Peripart said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
You say that, but I caught the "Black Rock" episode on E4 (well, E4+1 if I'm going to be pedantic), and at the end, they said that there'll be a season-ending double bill next week (Jan 4th) on Channel 4, and implied that there will be no more on E4 this season. No news on the showing of the second series yet. Like the rest of you, I do hope that they show it pretty soon, while there's still a good bit of momentum going. If they wait until autumn, I'm sure the ratings won't be the same.

If I've understood this correctly they are showing this E4 epsido next Weds on Channel 4 a big back to back session of Lost and then the final episode in a fortnight.

Peripart said:
The E4 episode last night was a vast improvement on the one that preceded it on C4. Am I the only one starting to find the character of Kate intensely annoying? She veered last night from lovey-dovey to murderous (OK, technically manslaughterous, but still...) in the blink of an eye - it's getting silly. A small gripe, and the next episode was much better. I'm sure the finale will be great.

spoiler
Yeah it was niggling me - if she'd be on the run for so long, seen the people she loved killed and manipulated people into doing bank robberies so she could get a toy plane back she'd be tougher than the person who was looking all hurt because Sawyer didn't say goodbye.
/spoiler

Mighty_Emperor said:
If I've understood this correctly they are showing this E4 epsido next Weds on Channel 4 a big back to back session of Lost and then the final episode in a fortnight.

That's the way I understood it too - what a swiz! Why did they think were watching on E4 in the first place?

well before anything happens on E4 we have the joy of a celebrity big brother to look forward to.

The thrills, the spills, which celebrity will go nuts because they have to spend a whole fortnight with other celebrities?

Which columist from a fancy broardsheet read by sniffy people who regard themselves as too posh to watch reality tv will make said posh people claim they like the show now the columist is in it, until the columist comes out early claiming they came out because they thought big brother was a bully rather than the real reason which was because they thought they'd be out before jhon mckuric, leaving the posh people franticly back peddleing claiming they'd been being ironic or sarcastic when they said they liked the show 24 hours ago?

Which boyband member will apear in a bid to launch his solo carear?

Which celebrity will prove to have the morals and hygene of a rampant billy goat?

So we won't get the new series of lost just yet, my moneys on it starting in the autumn again, weather we like it or not.

Saw last weeks E4 episode last night. Pretty good. I REALLY hope something more is revealed about the island in the last episode of the series, otherwise one shall be frightfully annoyed! The 'Black Rock' was the french womans ship right, and was a couple of miles inland, showing that the island is constantly moving? And who are THEY?!!! Some kind of native tribe or something?

Also the raft looked pretty well made i thought but have a feeling they will only go around and around the island (just out of sight of it) and go nowhere. Returning in say episode 4-5 of the second series, bemused and incredibly pissed off. Just a guess!!

The Black Rock isn't Danielle's ship, it's an ancient shipwreck.

Ok that makes more sense as (it was only shown for a second) it did look like a old galleon, and shows how much the island is moving.

oll_lewis said:
well before anything happens on E4 we have the joy of a celebrity big brother to look forward to.

Rumours are Boy George! Shane McGowan!Esther Ranzten!Brain Harvey! Anna Nicole Smith!Michael Barrymore!!!!

It's going to be a freakshow!

Mob1138 said:
oll_lewis said:

Rumours are Boy George! Shane McGowan!Esther Ranzten!Brain Harvey! Anna Nicole Smith!Michael Barrymore!!!!

Shane McGowan? Are they installing a bar in the big brother house?

Celebrity Death House

Heckler20 said:
Mob1138 said:
oll_lewis said:

Shane McGowan? Are they installing a bar in the big brother house?

Possibly if he dried out he is going to go mad and kill everyone in the house. That'd be cool.

Or else he is found dead in the hot tub - hmmmmm now who could the suspects be?

Hell I might not remove the Channel 4 button from my remote after all. No on second thoughts I will.

Re: Celebrity Death House

Mighty_Emperor said:
Or else he is found dead in the hot tub - hmmmmm now who could the suspects be?

Hmmm and then they DNA test him and find he was really Jim Morrison and in an odd irony he eventually died in the bath after apparently dying decades before (in the bath).

OK last episode tonight:

A few answers, please

Tonight the TV series Lost finally comes to an end. But don't you dare swan off, Kate, without winding up these loose ends, says Lucy Mangan

Wednesday January 11, 2006
The Guardian

For all those of us who have, for the past six months (give or take the odd dull stretch which we used to make cups of tea or go on holiday as appropriate), been caught in the sticky web of multiple preposterous storylines, impaled on the jagged rocks of unresolved mysteries and addicted to the heavy scent of island intrigue, tonight's the night. Channel 4 is showing the last two episodes of Lost, a double bill before which we kneel and pray for resolution of the programme's many, many, many remaining questions.

What is the monster?

"It is the island's security system," according to Rousseau, a woman much given to gnomic utterances and partial explanations. Unfortunately, she apparently also has a clause in her contract forbidding other members of the cast to belt her across the face and say "Enough with the enigmatic shit - tell us everything you know and now." So what else do we know? It roars, it clanks, it's big enough to smash down trees when roused, while still being invisible to the naked eye. Some of the island's inhabitants persist in believing that it is "just a boar", a level of denial last achieved by the doctor in The Exorcist who, when faced with a patient whose projectile-vomiting face had turned green and head was spinning round as if on freshly-oiled neck castors, insisted that she was just suffering from epilepsy.

Anyway. My money's on a giant Predator - easily the best monster ever invented - emerging from the jungle. But given the metaphysical possibilities offered by the series, it could, I concede, be a formless psychic manifestation of the castaways' collective survivors' guilt (or a compound of their individual tortured consciences, as there doesn't seem to be a person on the plane who didn't devote several years to royally screwing things up at home). Or it could be Mariah Carey's surplus ego which, it has long been rumoured, was drained off and imprisoned on an unmapped Pacific island some time in the early 90s to ensure the safety of her staff and the rest of the free world.

What about the polar bear?

The polar bear was a red herring. It was an early contender for the monster title but rather than solving that mystery, it raised another. What was an habitual Arctic dweller doing on a tropical island somewhere between Australia and Fiji? That's a hell of a trip, even on the largest ice floe.

What do the numbers mean?

Four, eight, 15, 16, 23, 42. They look like they should be on a Mensa test ("What comes next? Frot gently against a Sinclair C5 if you know"), and indeed they do appear to be a random and accursed string. The flight's number was 815 (eight and 15, geddit?); fatboy Hurley used them as his winning lottery numbers, since when he has had nothing but bad luck up to, and very much including the marooning on an island umpty-thousand miles from the nearest Krispy Kreme; they were on the jerseys of a (now presumably deceased) team of football players who boarded the plane in Sydney; and they were the numbers transmitted from the island which caused Rousseau and her shipmates to investigate, founder and die in short order. So we want to know what they stand for, why they are cursed, who was transmitting them and why. And we want the explanation to unfurl with stately grace and impeccable logic, a stainless pennant fluttering in breeze of a million happy exhalations from satisfied viewers. Thank you.

What happened to Rose?

She was the Spiritual Black Lady from the Big Book of Screen Stereotypes who sat serenely on a rock for a couple of episodes and hasn't been seen since. Maybe she's still sitting there. Maybe they intended to bring her back but are spending all the money meant for extras on getting the giant Predator monster right instead.

The Big Book of Screen Stereotypes, incidentally, may also be responsible for Sun's otherwise inexplicable (as the pampered daughter of a Korean gangster living in Australia) knowledge of medicinal plants. The relevant page reads thus: "She's Korean, which is kinda like Japan, which is kinda like China, which has acupuncture and herbs and all that mysteries-of-the-Orient shit, which means she'll know just which subtropical plant you need to chow down on when you present with an assortment of nondescript symptoms that would preclude God himself from making an accurate differential diagnosis."

Is Rousseau mad, bad or just dangerous to know?

She's certainly mad (forever muttering about "the others" and scrawling song lyrics obsessively on bits of paper, which frankly helps no one) and dangerous to know - she killed her own team, either because they were mortally ill or because she was hallucinating that they were so. And when she's not kidnapping and torturing former members of the Iraqi republican guard, she is fomenting discontent and paranoia among previously stable castaways. But as we only have her word for anything she has been up to, the possibility remains that she is bad and leading them a merry, monster-baiting dance.

Why doesn't Kate choose between Jack and Sawyer?

Is it because she can't decide between lantern jaw and burled torso? Is it because she has practical instincts which tell her that once she has paid over the coin of sexual compliance she will have nothing left to barter for guns and toy planes? Or is it because she's not sure what salt water does to condoms but after delivering Claire's baby she is very sure of what having a baby does to a lady's nether regions and wants no membrane-ripping part of it?

What's in the hatch?

It could be the home of Ethan's tribe. It could be the home of "the others", if they turn out to be different from Ethan. It could be the source of the radio transmission. It could be the command centre from which the Krankies are orchestrating a 2006 comeback. Who can say? Well, JJ Abrams and David Fury can. And they must.

A less pressing but still pertinent question also attaches to the hatch. Would you say that staring at it for a fortnight before getting down to any serious digging was really comparable to Michelangelo studying the block of marble that eventually became David, as Locke suggests, in all apparent seriousness? No, I thought not.

Why is Kate on the run?

There are those for whom the sight of Evangeline Lilley in practical yet alluring beachwear is reason enough for her existence. But to others, intent on completing the backstory jigsaw, the answer to this is of central importance. We know she killed a man. But whether it was just a matter of reducing an ex-boyfriend to a fatally jumbled assortment of fractured bones when she crashed the car after visiting a friend gone tumourous in the hospital, or a proper murder of an unspecified other - this is knowledge to which we are not yet privy.

We do know that she ate bacon in episode three but declared herself a vegetarian in episode four and that therefore not a word from her unfeasibly wide mouth is to be trusted. So any finale revelations need to be delivered not from her lying lips but via flashback, which is the only authority the Lost viewer recognises.

What is the significance of the toy plane?

We know that it was one of the things Kate and her childhood sweetheart buried in a time capsule and then disinterred a whole 10 years later. We don't know why she sets such store by it that she will track down the safety deposit box in which it is kept, integrate herself into a bankrobbing gang, sex up the ropey-looking criminal mastermind and risk the murder of innocent customers during a heist in order to obtain it. If it is simply a memento mori because it belonged to the ex-boyfriend she splintered in the car crash then man, as the great Eric Cartman would say, that is fucking weak.

So we really do need something more. The elixir of life contained in its tiny cargo hold, perhaps? Or the news that it was made from the melted-down remains of the Holy Grail - the second series then fuses with the sequel to the Da Vinci Code, the resulting synergy is harnessed, replaces fossil fuel and nuclear fission as the world's most potent energy source and solves the globe's ecological problems at a stroke. We watch and wait.

The need to tie up all these narrative loose ends should make for a stunning double-episode finale, though dark suspicions abound that the bulk of them will be threaded into the warp and weft of season two rather than satisfactorily tied off tonight. Still, at least there's one question we can all answer for ourselves, with nothing more than a few household oddments, a little ingenuity and a trip to the local aquarium: can you really perform a blood transfusion using nothing more than a plastic bag, some rubber piping and a sea urchin spine?

----------------
· The last episode of Lost can be seen tonight at 10pm on Channel 4

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1683526,00.html

Lets be honest - if they resolve any of those questions tonight they'll leave us with far more that need answering.

If Channel 4 dicka round with the second series the R1 DVD will be out before it even starts and I really don't think I can wait until the autumn to find out what is happening RIGHT NOW on US TV!! Time for a petition I think.

Spring!!

Thank God for that.

Now I don't have to kidnap the Channel 4 execs or anything like that ;)

What do 'they' want with the kids? Firstly they tried to take the pregnant Claire and now have Michaels son. Does the island some how neutralize the mens ability to reproduce or where they all two bit record producers that cant let go of finding the next boy band?!

And while i'm ranting, it was pretty obvious that there would be some sort of ladder or steps that went down once the hatch was opened! I wanna know WHERE it goes goddamnit!!

Finally though i thought the last two episodes were pretty good and contained some funny, if not gross, moments. Hurley's reaction to the explosion that blew up (cant remember his name) was classic. Later noticing something on Jacks shoulder, 'Dude, you've got a piece of (insert name) on you' made me laugh!

Roll on series two.

Watchable as ever, but TOO MANY QUESTIONS UNANSWERED!

Dammit, wouldn't it be possible to answer something by the end of 24 episodes? OK, I guess we assume the guys (and 1 gal) in the boat are the "Others", or at least some of them, but there's not much else we do know.

As you say, Emperor, at least we only have to wait until Spring, so we can avoid having to kill anyone or do any dodgy downloads of US episodes (or even buy Region 1 DVDs). Mind you, Spring lasts until late June, so I'm not holding my breath.

In summary, if these episodes had been mid-season, I'd give them 9/10, but as a season closer, they only get 7/10. I have this horrible suspicion that the writers themselves don't know what's going on, and are making it up as they go. I hope I'm wrong.

Peripart said:
Dammit, wouldn't it be possible to answer something by the end of 24 episodes? OK, I guess we assume the guys (and 1 gal) in the boat are the "Others", or at least some of them, but there's not much else we do know.

Esp. odd as we has just started wondering if they were really a threat outisde of the mad Frenchwoman's mind. Thing is Ethan Rom kidnapped Clair and returned her but at some point Frenchie Le French got invovled and scratched?

And one wodners why no one (esp. the soldier or the mad survivalist!!) asked her simpe things like - who are they and how many of them are there? I think if they are incoming and nasty you'd want to know before going running off breakiing open hatches. If there are 6 of them armed with sticks then I'd fancy my chances holed up in the cave with a number of guns. However, if they have boats and bombs..... It does make one wonder what they have been up to all this time and where they are keeping all this kit and and and........

They want both kids because of their abilities/destiny. Of course this just begs the question of what it its.

Peripart said:
In summary, if these episodes had been mid-season, I'd give them 9/10, but as a season closer, they only get 7/10. I have this horrible suspicion that the writers themselves don't know what's going on, and are making it up as they go. I hope I'm wrong.

They have pretty much admitted that - its part of the nature of US TV these days. You come out strong with a few good episodes and if it doesn't get cancelled then work it into a series. I'm sure they have a rough idea of where things are going but have certainly changed their ideas over time.

They did sort of tie things together with everyone turning up for the flight but I think the only thing that clarified was that it was Hurley's comic.

I did enjoy the fact that the number kept cropping up (that fiitball team!!) - esp. 23 (Kate's bounty, the boarding gate and more I'm sure if you watch again and keep an eye out for number plates, times on clocks, etc.).

-------------
I did enjoy the little chat the "red shirt" had before handling dynamite!!

Back