• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LOST

original_fLeebLe said:
wait till you see episode 20 :shock:
*calmly waits for episode 21* :splat:

I see what you mean!
Though I did figure out what ******* was up to.

Y'all are on my "to kick" list ;)

--------
Anyway I just watched the latest episode on E4 - its one of those where nothing much actually happens which is probably a good thing given all the excitement.

Mr Eko is developing into one of the best characters in the show - I though the actor (Triple A) was great as Adebisi in Oz and he is bringing a similarish type of menace to this role too (nice going for a Buddhist with a Cockney accent ;) ) although with more approachable aspects emerging.

It just be that all the other characters are a bit wet. If I was stuck on the island I'd probably be going round saying "Oh will you just hush" or "If I hear you say Walt one more time I'm going to find him and kill him myself." I'd have probably locked myself in the underground complex and not let anyone else in ;)

Mighty_Emperor said:
Peripart said:
I'm thinking of buying Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman" to pass the time, as it apparently has some bearing on what's going on. Has anyone else heard this?

Interesting. I haven't read it but Wikipedia give a good overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Policeman

The page's talk section points people to:

www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600

and the page also has a mention of Lost which I'll spoilerise:

spoiler
The novel was prominently featured in the October 5, 2005 episode of the hit television series Lost. At one point during the episode (entitled 'Orientation'), a copy of the book can be seen. The episode concerns the main characters' discovery of a mechanism which they are told must be reset at every 108 minutes by entering the numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42), or else "the world will be destroyed." The series' creators have said that anyone who has read the book "will have a lot more ammunition when dissecting plotlines" of the show. The book has seen a significant sales increase since its role in Lost.
/spoiler

And for completness sake the book:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/05860 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1564782 ... enantmc-20

I'll grab it in my next Amazon order (if it isn't already in the books downstairs ;) ).

Ive now read it and I am waiting to see how things develop as I haven't yet seen any bicycles.

It does suggest a broader idea though and it could suggest a possible ending too - something I have been wodnering about since the start. Just about any endig is going to be a let down - an ending along those lines could certianly be interesting.

no ending for a while, it is meant to run for three seasons isn't it? plus i have seen episode 22 and although the story is snowballing along, i can't see it being finished by the end of the series.

just seen the final episodes of season 2. a lot of stuff has happened and as expected lots of things left unanswered and open for season 3. now we have to wait till the autumn :splat:

OK, I've only watched as much as E4 in the UK will allow, so don't spoil it too much for me! (Oh go on, maybe a little!)

I watched Channel 4's repeated episode last night, before seeing the E4 one, and do you know what? C4 managed to fit it into 45 minutes viewing time! On Tuesday nights, it's an hour - last season, it was 65 minutes, and there were complaints. What they've done, of course, is to edit it - given the early-evening slot of the repeat, we didn't get to see Eko punching Jin, for instance, or the full-length shot of Goodwin's corpse, but no story was lost, and it all bowled along nicely. I might just stick to Sunday night viewing and save myself 15 minutes (and at least one annoying ad-break).

Just a tiny spoiler request - last night, Ana Lucia said to Eko something like "I preferred it when you didn't talk". Is this significant? I don't suppose he's called Mr Eko (sp?) for nothing - does all this have anything to do with Jin's rapidly-improving English? Don't ruin the story for me, but I wouldn't mind a few teasers!

I've just seen the end of season two also.
Blimey, although it did ask more questions than in answered.

Season two gets a bit rubbish in the middle but hold on in there, it's worth it!

fLeebLe, I guess you are in the states. Do you have any idea when the next season is scheduled for?
(I'm in the UK, I have no idea how I watch it from the states. It's something to do with a chipped xBox and the Mac)

i am generally in a state. it is meant to be starting in the 'fall' which is americanese for the autumn. i didn't find it to get rubbish in the middle, thoroughly enjoyed it all. although i am dissapointed that we wont get to find out at least one of the story threads, well we may find out but how would be another thing.

Personally, I'd be quite happy for a tiny amount of spoiling! All we've got here is a bunch of old teases who won't give away even the smallest snippet. You know who you are!

Trouble is, because I know loads of you have now seen season 2 all through, and normal UK viewers have only seen 6 or 7 episodes so far, I'm itching to catch up. It'd be nice if C4 would show 2 edited episodes per week, back to back, so as the story bowls along nicely. I really don't want to go down the illegal download route, but a friend at work has copies of series 2, and temptation is the one thing I can't resist...

The whole issue with this show, and I guess its appeal, is that for every question answered, two more are asked. For me, the end of season one was a terrible let-down, made up for by the first couple of episodes of season 2 (when they were finally shown!). Now, I just want to get some facts about the story, and I can't wait for the end of season 3, assuming the creators stick to their promise of concluding it then. Note to JJ Abrams: "It was all a dream" and "They were all dead all along" are not acceptable outcomes.

original_fLeebLe said:
ghostdog19 said:
people just love spoiling it for everyone else.

:roll:
:wtf:
:wtf: straight back atcha. Sarcasm much?

Peripart said:
Personally, I'd be quite happy for a tiny amount of spoiling! All we've got here is a bunch of old teases who won't give away even the smallest snippet. You know who you are!
With a show like this, the temptations waaay too great.

Friend of mine is crap at keeping spoilers out of a conversation. Always says "Oh, man, you should see the ending, my word!" much like you get on here, which isn't a spoiler really I confess, teasing is what it is, you hit the nail on the head. but then laces it with remarks like "Ooh, you won't think about such and such in the same way again, ha ha, no" and that sort of thing. Like sitting next to someone watching a film they've already seen and they say "watch this bit, ooh, you'll like this bit".

He recently had a baby and I before the baby was born I asked him "do you know what it's going to be?" and was suprised to discover he didn't want to "SPOIL THE SURPRISE!!!!" which makes me want to hoist fleeble's banner aloft and shout WTF?

I have had to spoilerise this as it gives away plot that is probably going to resolve on E4 this week.

These characters are toying with us

Updated 5/23/2006 11:20 PM ET
By William Keck, USA TODAY

"I'm going to be an action figure!!??"

That's what Malcolm David Kelley (Lost's Walt) exclaimed after the 14-year-old learned from his TV dad, Harold Perrineau (Michael), that the cast is getting plastic mini-me replicas.

Comics legend Todd McFarlane scanned the faces of Lost cast members and videotaped their bodies to help create their 6-inch versions.

Or more accurately in Malcolm's case, 4 inches, max.

"When you're doing a kid, there's less plastic, so Walt will probably come with Vincent, the dog, so people don't think we're cheating them," explains McFarlane, who created action figures for Kiss, The Simpsons, Napoleon Dynamite and Spawn.

Series 1, due this fall, will feature six original Lost characters: Jack, Kate, Locke, Charlie, Hurley and Shannon. Walt and Michael will come later.

As will Sawyer.

"Ideally, we want to have multiple series," McFarlane says. "But you want to get out of the gate strong. You've got to have the top two — Kate and Jack — but then I don't want to burn off all the top people. I'll probably do Sawyer with his shirt off for Series 2."

Some cast members were more excited about the prospect of becoming toys than others. "You have those that get it and those that don't," says McFarlane, who spent an hour with each actor. "Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie) and Michelle Rodriguez (Ana Lucia) were real geeks who got it."

The one who didn't get it: Terry O'Quinn (Locke).

"He has that kind of anti-commercial thing," McFarlane says.

Maggie Grace (Shannon) had been killed off the show when McFarlane visited the Oahu set to do the scans. Grace met with the artist in Los Angeles to have her measurements taken for a bikini-clad version of Shannon, as seen in the pilot. (Figures of other dead characters including Boone, Libby and Ethan also are in the works.)

Each figure, with a suggested retail price of $15 to $20, will come with a prop, such as Kate's toy airplane, Charlie's Drive Shaft band ring and Hurley's lottery ticket.

"We're going to do our action figures in a slightly outside-the-box fashion," says show producer Damon Lindelof.

Case in point: The figures will speak sound bites that reflect their personalities and back stories. Press a button and bratty Shannon will say: "What's a four-letter word for 'I don't care'?" And Hurley repeats his infamous: "Stop. Wait. The numbers are bad!"

www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2 ... toys_x.htm

McFarlane's news story on it:

www.spawn.com/news/news2.aspx?id=12867

I have to say the concept of action figures has changed since my day when you could actually make them do actions and stuff as opposed to cash in statuettes.

What's the fun in having a mini-Charlie figure if there isn't a little "shoot up" or "chase the dragon" button and he comes with a mini-BVM statue full of a tiny quantitiy of (fake) smack to find?

people just love spoiling it for everyone else by making toys of all the cast members.

ghostdog19 said:
people just love spoiling it for everyone else by making toys of all the cast members.

What's worse is that the Walt figure includes his evil parasitic twin (the one with the mind control powers)!!

Mighty_Emperor said:
ghostdog19 said:

What's worse is that the Walt figure includes his evil parasitic twin (the one with the mind control powers)!!
Or the clock-work automaton walt with the glass eyes.

ghostdog19 said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
ghostdog19 said:

Or the clock-work automaton walt with the glass eyes.

I think thats in the next batch along with Mega-Robo Walt with flashing laser eye effects.

The same batch with werewolf Locke.

If only we'd had the wits about us to start a "Justice League" thread to annoy all our bated breath American cousins and ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING bandwidth parasites with all our 'saw it before you, so there' knowledge (okay so maybe we couldn't beat the parasites, but we could have beaten that lot over the pond that don't speak proper*).

A werewolf Locke, now that would be awesome. Suddenly the series really couldn't give a toss about the master plan and starts throwing them left and right. Season three: the writers go crazy!

*Lost is a great show, but I swear to god, the only people who's accents I understand are Sun and Charlie...

just kidding you cranky monkies

Anyway back on topic - interesting "catch up" episode on E4. Looking forward to next week's.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Anyway back on topic - interesting "catch up" episode on E4. Looking forward to next week's.
Aren't there rather a lot of comicbook related types working on this show? Paul Dini's the shows script editor for example...

Mighty_Emperor said:

Yeah, but it had the exact same cliffhanger as the previous week's.

I think the tie in figures should have been made by the people who did the Cabbage Patch Kids. They could do a very realistic Charlie. :p

I've figured it all out:

spoilers
Its the dog - he is clearly presiding over this lower circle of Hell.

Walt was his owner and BOOM

He leaves the dog with Shannon and BOOM

In the middle of the third series he transforms into a giant dog demon laugh at people, playing fetch with Charlie, saying "sausgaes" and urinating on people indiscriminately.

/spoilers

Or not ;)

The Others are really starting to grate.They have no maners, have refused to introduce themselves and on top of all that they have a fear inducing anti-social hobby of stealing people! Pah.

Anyway I'm sure they are all nice people and mearly misunderstood. What was interesting was the find of the U.S Army knife. Was it found by Anna-in serious need of a chill pill-Lucia while searching a dead member of the Others? Also it was mentioned that they only took the 'good' people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is still none the wiser.

Pretty good episode tonight on E4 (despite their pushing it back an hour).

Lots of thing tying into other things.

I do keep wondering why people don't talk to each other about stuff that people tend to, like: what did you do before the crash? Do you fancy making hot monkey love or are you going to sit round cutting the hair of a guy who reminds you of your stepfther who you killed by the way and how screwed up would it be if you got it on with him then?? Bloody rednecks and me with my fancy pants doctoring skills, mysterious tattoos which hint of a bad boy past and no poontang!! If only that Anna bird would smile but I think her face might break if she tried and, if you don't mind me breaking the fourth wall, I think thats what she is like in real life what with her only ever taking bad ass roles and that recent conviction she just got.

Stuff like that.

The whole not talking to each other thing has been annoying me for weeks. I know it is the way it has to be to make the show more interesting but there are only so many times I can put up with it.

Character A : "What was that really important and interesting thing that just happened to you?"
Character B : "I don't want to talk about it" (stares meaningfully into the distance)
Character A : "I'm only asking because there has been loads happening and if we pooled our knowledge we could probably clear up a lot of the mystery right here and now."
Character B : "Maybe next week, eh?"

LOL - yeah you can almost see the thought process at work:

A: Did you just see that really weird thing in the jungle?

B: No (thinks: I should really tell them about my own weird visions in the jungle which would: help put their mind at rest, allow me to get all this off my chest and allow us to work out what is actually going on but instead I'm going to turn slightly away and pull a face abit like I'm trying crap out a pine cone).

Then again, various aspects of the plot are running in parallel as far as time is concerned on the island - which would be rather tricky to cram into every episode without it all getting messy and confusing. If you watched each episode one afer the other, the continuity would probably work a bit better.

heh.

If you could hear their thoughts, you'd hear the same thing in every head:

"I can't talk about (experience x), they'll all think I'm mad..."

Back