• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LOST

Well I watched the first two tonight and I have to say I was.... underwhelmed.

The end of the last series was a bit bleh - there were interesting changes and plot advancements but nothing like the end of series 1 and start of 2 where you were on the edge of your seat.

spoiler
Now there is a rapid change of scenery and although they are still on the island it is a real change and rather takes that whole desert island feel away in return for cages and badly lit undergound cells.

All sorts of am I nice.am I sinister switches with the women who usually plays parts with a fake English accent (despite being English) which ultimately left me cold.
/spoiler

I'm really starting to go off the boil on this one. I'll stick with it for the forseeable future but even though it is only an hour a week I don't really find myself that interested in finding out what is going on.

Fingers crossed it'll pick up and get me back in.

I liked the way that the new series started in the same way as the last one did with a new, unknown character putting on some music and going about seemingly normal daily activities before the script flips back into weirdness. A nice touch. Also they have partially answered one of my big questions because I have wondered all along about the activities of the Others when there are no crash survivors to torment. It seemed strange to me that there are all these people hanging around with guns and boats but nothing to do with them. After all, they had no idea that a plane was going to crash (or did they?...) Well it turns out that they just mooch about, bickering. Result! My other big observation is that Jack is probably the dullest character in the history of tv. He's had medical emergencies, family drama, romance, gun fights, fist fights and more but through it all he has remained utterly dull. Leave him in the fish tank for good please!

JohnnyMolten said:
My other big observation is that Jack is probably the dullest character in the history of tv. He's had medical emergencies, family drama, romance, gun fights, fist fights and more but through it all he has remained utterly dull. Leave him in the fish tank for good please!

Tell me about it - the only way they are going to liven up his sequences is putting the sharks back in the tank.

I am unsure if it is the writing but my suspicion is that we have reached the limits of his acting. He seems to work fine as part of an ensemble but he can't carry a whole segment on his own.

Not that I find the whole Sawyer/Kate thing working for me either - he acts like a dumbass and she goes all melty as he is a bad boy.

I like LOST. I do not have Sky. I do not want Sky. Four toed-statues or not this will have to wait until I can get my hands on the DVD...and I'm a bit reluctant to pay for that as well.

You see my dilemma? It's simply not that intriguing. It pretends it's intriguing but they're just making it up as they go along like TV jazz. I may well lose interest altogether and join a blog on old B/W Avengers.

Dink-dink, dink-dink, dink-dink, diddle-ink
Dink-dink, dink-dink, dink-dink, diddle-ink...

well I just watched episode 1 and 2 of season 3 and really enjoyed them.

" ... the isle is full of noises,
Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
will hum about mine ears "

How often do borrowed themes from "The Tempest" pop up? Prospero being the creepy 'other' forget his name now, and Sawyer and Freckles being Ferdinand and Miranda (or as things are turning out for Jack maybe he's Ferdinand given how they're using him).

I watched 3 and 4 and enjoyed them a lot more.

What I don't understand:

If The Others are on a different island how no one spotted this when they were sailing the boat around the island? Or from high points on the island?

The writers are starting to piss me off......they need to throw the viewers a bone now and then and tell us some secret to keep us tuned in.
I just heard they are going to do 3 more years of 16 episodes each and end it in 2009/2010.
I'll be lucky if I maintain my interest for that long.

;)

Blimey! Thanks for bumping this thread, guys - I used to be an avid Lost viewer, but I'd all but forgotten it was still going.

So there are still more questions than answers, then? 'Twas ever thus.

And now it's likely to be not 3 series, not 5, but 6? Brilliant - why don't they just keep pumping out episodes until no-one cares any more? Oh, no, wait - they are.

In the early days, this was a great show which I didn't dare miss. Now, I still don't have Sky, so I can't legally see the show any more, but look at my face - am I bovvered?

Has anyone else seen the end of season finale yet? I want to talk about it with some one.

Yes, I have.

To those complaining about season 3 - it gets much, much better. The season finale is excellent.

liveinabin1 said:
Has anyone else seen the end of season finale yet? I want to talk about it with some one.

Yes, I saw it ....

[Spoiler! ...]

... and the apparent 'flashback' that turned out to be a flash-forward (?) left me pondering very hard about where the writers might be taking the story next season. I saw a comment in some interview with the main writers before the finale aired, where they said each season is like a 'book', and with the Season 3 finale the current 'book' would close ...

I certainly wasn't expecting the twist at the end of the finale last night. I have to say it is still keeping me very interested and i'm looking forward to the next few episodes to see how they are going to explain a few things. Its obvious that a programme like this is going to piss a lot of people off becuase by its nature it depends on cliff hanger moments and leaving just enough uncovered that people cannot see the whole picture. I can also take the fact that it may run for 6 seris but just as long as they keep it at this standard and tie it up completley at the end i'll be happy enough.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell the 'black smoke monster'is..?
Is it an island defense or something else? Why don't the Others know what it is?
After the last few episodes I thought it might be 'Jacob'.

I was surprised when Juliette said the Others didn't know what the monster was. It was also revealed at that point that the monster could be diverted by (or didn't like) the electronic barrier. This might imply the barrier was designed to contain or defend against the smoke-thingie (most likely by the original Dharma folks).

Did anyone notice the clothes that guy was wearing when he met young Ben in the jungle? Looked like a sailor...Black Rock crew, maybe?

Yes - I noticed that, and the same thought occurred to me ...

I don't know about that, the ship looked old, very old and isn't the guy that met young ben the same guy that persuaded Juilet to go to the Island? So he must have been able to leave the Island at some stage. If it is the same guy though it raises the question of why people don't seem to age as the he looked the same when he met young ben as he did when he asked Juilet to go to the island

feen5 said:
I don't know about that, the ship looked old, very old and isn't the guy that met young ben the same guy that persuaded Juilet to go to the Island? So he must have been able to leave the Island at some stage. If it is the same guy though it raises the question of why people don't seem to age as the he looked the same when he met young ben as he did when he asked Juilet to go to the island

If people don't seam to age, why did the young Ben grow up into older Ben??

Ah yes of course good question, maybe its because he was not born on the island? Maybe just happens when you reach a certain age, and then you just stop getting any older. Probably not though. I don't know anytime i try to make any sense of it it just seems to raise many more questions. Who are the real bad guys in all of this and when is Jim Robinson going to appear in it again he must have something more to do with it considering his daughter is in love with Desmond.

feen5 said:

Exactly ... Of course, we're not sure it was the _Black Rock_ that he may have arrived on. Still ... Either there was a titanic screw-up in makeup and continuity (unlikely ...) or we now have evidence suggesting (at least some ...) people don't age on the island.

... Which links to the notion that the Others we've known (whom Ben introduced into the Dharma infrastructure) had been there a long, long time ...

Just finished season 4 on DVD. Ben's such a great character, I was worried they'd get rid of him, but he was there in the cliffhanging last scene. Nice that Desmond found his Penny, I though that was quite touching, but this finale doesn't leave us any further on than the finale to season 3. They killed off a major character there too (OK, here they did in three of the suckers).

Oh, and the bit where Ben sent the smoke monster after the mercenaries was great!

Now i can't be bothered to watch season 4. Do we know what is going on or not?

liveinabin1 said:
Now i can't be bothered to watch season 4. Do we know what is going on or not?

Sort of, we're getting a bigger picture. I can't say any more without giving too much away, but then, JJ Abrams would say the same, so we'll have to wait a couple more years to find out everything. Even then I think they're going to leave some of it unsolved, the scamps.

Update ...

Having seen the most recent season finale, I have to admit the writers have worked overtime (albeit by exploiting time travel*) to draw connections and illustrate origins / causes that had been mysteries in the earlier seasons.

Along the way, they've managed to expand the scope of context and background for most of the parties encountered thus far ('others', the Dharma Initiative). This doesn't mean that everything from the prior seasons is explained by the time this last one wraps up. For example - we still don't understand 'the Monster'.

For those who haven't yet seen the most recent season (or season finale) I'll just say that at the end they've opened up yet another level / layer of storyline above and beyond the parties and plot lines we've seen so far.

* Sorry if this was a spoiler for some of you. I went ahead and said it because it's been so widely cited that you'd have to be deliberately avoiding all mention of the show to not know.

Just finished watching the box set of season 5 and what a terrific cliffhanger! I'm assuming the bomb won't solve all the problems or season 6 is going to be ten minutes long, but I have no idea what will happen next, which can only be a good thing.

What did Jacob mean by "They're coming!"? Who is Locke now? I know Lost has its critics, but I think it's one of the best written sci-fi shows of the decade and I'm really glad it's managed to last this long. Only one problem: I'll have to wait a year to find out what's really going on (if they actually tell us!).

At least we know what the giant foot is.

original_fLeebLe said:
we only have to wait till february

Maybe you do, but I have to wait for the next box set! If it had stayed on Channel 4, I wouldn't have this problem...

Back