• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
Some old school Forteana here, came across this entry in the excellent 'UK Paranormal database':

Anti-Gravity Hill​

Location: Shanklin (Isle of Wight) - Nansen Hill, between Shanklin and Bonchurch
Type: Other
Date / Time: Still present?
Further Comments: A newspaper from 1961 featured Nansen Hill, a site where cars and bicycles appeared to roll up rather than down. Magnetism, poltergeists, and optical illusions were all put forward as explanations.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

It is the sort of Forteana that would have been featured on "Strange but True?" or in 'The Unexplained' magazine, so was chuffed then to find this:

"Located on the A27 Ronague Road, Magnetic Hill is an optical illusion experience. Place your car in neutral at the stone marker and be amazed at how quickly your car seems to roll back up a steep hill."

The thread title talks about the Isle if Man but the first post about the Isle of Wight?

Last edited:
The thread title talks about the Isle if Man but the first post about the Isle of Wight?

This threw me when the thread appeared and I 'tagged it'.

I think the OP has posted the Isle of Man video as a visual an example of the phenomenon in the Isle of Wight report.

There was an episode of 'Fact or faked: paranormal files' where they investigated a similar case in the USA.

I looked uphill but experts measured it and it was downhill.
Half-decent tv show that, found their body language rather stilted and their looks a bit Hollywood plastic (not a hair out of place) but the investigation were worth watching

Half-decent tv show that, found their body language rather stilted and their looks a bit Hollywood plastic (not a hair out of place) but the investigation were worth watching
There's an episode guide on Wikipedia, they only did them from 2010-2012, looks like there won't be anymore.

Back