• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Many unidentifiable artifacts found in Virginia

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just had another quick google apparently they are called Trace fossils.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_fossil

Pretty cool or what?

There are some amazing examples. Some look like they have been carved by human or octopoid arms/tentacles.
Ver
Actually having a bit of a google I've come up with planktonic, (no relation to our Dave), Graptolites

Graptolite.jpg
Very cool! And thank you for your help. I will try to send better images. The symbols that I see are an "eye" in the center of a triangle. Also there is a carved falcon as well. I will try to single them out. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Very cool!! I will try and send better images. There seems to be an eye in the middle of a triangle. Also there is a carving of a falcon. Thank you very much for your help!

image.jpg
This image is of the eye?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 22
Here are a few more that seem to have "symbols"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 31
Do you think there may be any reason for this?

I think we may have heard this rather a lot lately.. but, everyone has a fair go, so, why do you come to this conclusion?
Do you think there may be any reason for this?

I think we may have heard this rather a lot lately.. but, everyone has a fair go, so, why do you come to this conclusion?
Of course there are reasons. The items in question are obscure and familiarity is key. In hand is the best way to see "things" and I cannot stress the exposure component enough. Here's an abbreviated version of my experience:
I was too cheap to buy rock for a decorative garden project in front of my home. Over the course of a year or so, in my spare time I would pick up rock from my property tossing them in 5 gallon buckets. After several buckets were filled, I would dump them and hose them off then repeat. When "things" caught my attention, I gave pause but quickly went about my business as anyone would because of course seeing a human-like profile on a rock is coincidental PERIOD. As time went on and this process continued, I could not deny the familiar shapes and images I was seeing. Among others, there were canine and feline representations, birds, various humanoid features, and snakes. If that wasn't amazing enough, the imagery often times overlapped other images or was a partial image and the part that appeared distorted was purposely done so to accommodate the inclusion of another image which was revealed once the piece was turned. Unreal, but when it's right there in front of you...it can't be denied. Pictures usually aren't enough. Repetitive in-hand exposure is what it took for me to see these obscure things and even then, it wasn't overnight.

I've followed this thread with interest, Aboom, since its inception, and so far, there hasn't been a realistic answer as to what they resemble. There have been suggestions and hypothesies as to what they could be, but those ideas and suggestions lack definition.

There have been two items that could be recognisable - one was a grained object that resemble horn or bone, and the other was a lithic instrument shaped akin to a palaeolithic burin. The only problem with the burin was it's fabric, which resembled quartzite, rather than chert or flint. Quartzite would have fragmented very easily on application and would also have been difficult to retouch predicatively, thereby cancelling out that stone for this specific tool.

The majority of the other rocks look as if they have been modelled out of some concretionary material, to resemble anything the craftsman desired - I say this because there is no evidence of abrasion on those specific 'rocks', which there would have been if it had been the product of traditional methods of lithic manipulation.

The other aspect of veneration is that all obvious carvings resemble a living being, be that a boar, deer, lion, bear, or that most identifiable of objects, The Venus.

I look forward to your interpretation of these pictures from Totuskey71.
The images which I thought downloaded, did not. I will try again today as I am able (5 year old birthday party to commence soon). Please bear with me.

Here are a few more that seem to have "symbols"

There is a common theme to each of these: the hole through the metacentre of each piece.

The feathering/veining appears to conform into/out from this hole (at least to some extent), in the sense that the hole appears as a 'via', rather than an after-accretion piercing or boring. Note that when I use the terms 'feathering' or 'veining' this doesn't mean I see a biolgical origin for these stone-like items. I simply mean the surface finish is analogous to biomophic shapes.

I can't see how you could say they were related. I also have to say that the examples there are very obviously nothing but random shapes in the rock.

Reactions: Jim
I can't see how you could say they were related. I also have to say that the examples there are very obviously nothing but random shapes in the rock.
I agree, can't even say it's pareidolia because I simply don't see any of the images you suggest. Have you considered coprolite (fossilised poo)? Looks more like that than anything else!

Totuskey77 - I mean no disrespect to you, but here are a few examples of carvings of recognisable subjects from paeleolithic times. I think that what you and Aboom are seeing are, like love, in the eye of the beholder.

The Old Ones had an eye for art that is comparable to what we venerate nowadays, and considering that they only had stone tools to work with, their art is more than significant. To consider any comparison with what you see to what is self evident is, as I've said before, in my view, in your eyes only.

13f23aed8a85ee3356b9b2a6ca520de6.jpg
3918a Large.jpg
dd67e599f92ca311dc80205ee14c30c0.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
ba8a9fdec3e244be827ca0a577fa5a47.jpg
lion-figurine-mamoth-ivory.jpg
705bb6f7d678d8786a32397e8cf5af77.jpg
eddce51ece970b8f28020985032f7e7d.jpg

Totuskey77 - I mean no disrespect to you, but here are a few examples of carvings of recognisable subjects from paeleolithic times. I think that what you and Aboom are seeing are, like love, in the eye of the beholder.

The Old Ones had an eye for art that is comparable to what we venerate nowadays, and considering that they only had stone tools to work with, their art is more than significant. To consider any comparison with what you see to what is self evident is, as I've said before, in my view, in your eyes only.

View attachment 2149 View attachment 2150 View attachment 2151 View attachment 2152 View attachment 2153 View attachment 2154 View attachment 2155 View attachment 2156
My best recommendation if one wants to behold an amazing, bizarre truth, is to gather rock, clean them, set them aside (viewing the pieces from varying angles) and repeat...lol. As I believe I mentioned before, it was after about a year of sporadic gathering and around 24 5gallon buckets later that I started noticing "things." If it wasn't for this method, I'd be right there with you saying the same thing. Take care everyone.

My best recommendation if one wants to behold an amazing, bizarre truth, is to gather rock, clean them, set them aside (viewing the pieces from varying angles) and repeat...lol. As I believe I mentioned before, it was after about a year of sporadic gathering and around 24 5gallon buckets later that I started noticing "things." If it wasn't for this method, I'd be right there with you saying the same thing. Take care everyone.

Aboom..you presume.

IMG_0078.jpg

Some of my desk, and I have been collecting rock for the last 50 odd years..

View attachment 2149 View attachment 2150 View attachment 2151 View attachment 2152 View attachment 2153 View attachment 2154 View attachment 2155 View attachment 2156

Mungoman, I'm really interested in the the third image down, the head. Can you give me some idea where I can find out a bit more about it.

Cheers

Mungoman, I'm really interested in the the third image down, the head. Can you give me some idea where I can find out a bit more about it.

Cheers

G'day Oldrover, here's a link to a webpage that concerns itself with quite a few artifacts from 'the olden days', the head is the last item.

http://donsmaps.com/dolnivenus.html

Thank you for all of your help and experience on this matter. I respect and trust in your judgement. I have a few more I would like to post. Thanks again.

Back