• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

May 25th Asteroid

Human_84

Somewhat human
Here is some new information on a possible asteroid chunk, colliding with Earth around the date of May 25, 2006.

You will find an abundance of information thru this link:
http://www.savelivesinmay.com/art-deep- ... 006-En.htm

The following set of quotes were pulled from the above location:
....We see that the fragment (specific portion) is an extremely serious candidate for a collision with the Earth.... Once again, it is not at all about the end of the world but of a major catastrophe!.... The only realistic way to face a catastrophe of this magnitude - two hundred meter high waves - is solidarity between the human beings by spreading the information from one to the other, by giving simple instructions like going up the highest possible elevation....

The following quote comes to me from a friend:
....the comet path and its mysterious fragmentations are real. Chances are that his prediction is right remains at 50%

Please take his heed seriously.

:idea:

Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions, starships in late january thread was not something that I backed, I only was a middleman for the information. I was clear in notifying people that I was simply presenting the information that I was given, although some people did not comprehend what I was saying. Starship capricorn was the same thing. I would post information but never did I fully stand behind it. Don't get it twisted. I dont mind passing information onto these forums, but I only know to be absolutely true what I have seen with my own eyes, same as anyone else. You will find 1 thread on this board that I back 100%, and that is "The Ship" under UFOlogy. Anything else is simply information that I am willing to pass onward. Take this information for whatever you find it to be worth.

Godsdammit!

I've just booked tickets to a trade show at Earl's Court in June.

Mind you, it's only a 50% chance - either it'll happen or it won't.

Have you heard, it's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars... ;)
Where's Bruce Willis when you need him?

Oh boy time to dust out the 'survival' shelter again and stock up on canned goods......

Fingers crossed this apocalypse is the one!

*does a little excited dance*

The duck is secure in his bunker 8) New Duck Order...hell yeah

GadaffiDuck said:
The duck is secure in his bunker 8) New Duck Order...hell yeah

You're quackers mate, completely quackers.

Damn...a heckler from the cheap seats...I say sir...etc (1890's non funny put down etc) :lol:

Not much good if the chunk hits the hills - Bunkers mate...that's what ya want :D

Phil Plait's opinion of this on Bad Astronomy:

Fragment of the Imagination
April 13, 2006

Yahoo!News does it again.

A few months back, this "news" syndicator had a totally bogus article about a "chaos cloud" that was going to doom us all. The original source? The Weekly World News. Like it took a rocket scientist to figure out that was garbage.

Evidently, Yahoo@News is trying to top their own dumbosity. This time, they are reporting -- as straight news -- a story that on May 25 of this year a comet fragment will impact the Earth. Their source? the Exopolitics Institute, which studies UFOs, crop circles, and no doubt the Tooth Fairy and Bat Boy.

So what's the story? This guy, Eric Julien, who claims he is (and for all I know, may actually be) an ex-air traffic controller in France, says he has tracked (using "NASA simulations" which means he went on the web and poked around with orbital simulators) a fragment of a comet called P73 Schwassmann-Wachmann, a comet that was discovered in 1930. Comets are giant hunks of ice and rock, and when they get near the Sun the ice turns into a gas and creates the long tail. Sometimes the ice is what holds the comet together, so as it sublimates the comet can break apart. Schwassmann-Wachmann recently did this, fragmenting into many smaller chunks. These chunks can drift away from the main mass of the comet (if there is a main mass left), following different orbits over time.

image by Jim Scotti of the comet breaking up in 1995 However, the fragments of Schwassmann-Wachmann are all still pretty close together. And even if they weren't it would hardly matter-- closest approach of the comet will occur not on May 25 but around May 14, when it will be about 10 million kilometers from Earth-- about 6 million miles away. While that's close as comet passes go, that's still a long way. When asked if it will collide with Earth, Near-Earth Object expert Don Yeomans said, "Goodness, no. The closest fragment will be about six million miles away--or twenty-five times farther than the Moon."

But don't let the fear mongers hear that! Here is what the Yahoo!News article says:

Using NASA simulations of the comet's path, Julien concludes that impact is likely around May 25 precisely when the comet crosses the Earth's ecliptic plane. While the first fragment will cross at approximately 10 million miles, lagging fragments threaten to collide. While astronomers have stated that the comet poses no direct threat, Julien argues that some fragments are too small to observe. Astronomers have predicted possible meteor showers indicating some cometary debris will enter the atmosphere.

This is marginally true. Note the word "possibly" in the last sentence. We might get some meteors from this, but it's doubtful due to the great distance. But the next quotation is the money quote:

Julien argues that the kinetic energy of even a 'car sized' fragment will impact the Earth with devastating effect.

Bzzzzzt! Wrong. Call a fragment like this 3 meters across. It would have a mass of 7 tons, and at an impact velocity of 16 kilometers per second (the speed of the comet as it passes us) the impact energy would be the somewhat respectable equivalent of 450 tons of TNT. That's about 0.02 times the energy released by the Hiroshima atomic bomb.

That may sound like enough to do some damage, but it wouldn't. Ice is not very solid. When a small chunk enters the Earth's atmosphere, the energy of entry causes it to heat rapidly, and it explodes. But it does so while it is still very high over the ground, 50 miles or so. Some estimates are that a chunk of ice or rock a meter across enters the Earth's atmosphere once a month! Yet we don't even notice. While something 3 meters across would make a bigger bang (27 times as big, in fact*), it's still pretty small -- just half the Hiroshima bomb. That's big enough to see, but still too high up to have any real effect on the ground. No sound, no worries, and certainly no "devastating effect".

And remember, that's only if a fragment actually hits us. Which almost certainly one won't.

Julien goes on, tying this event to the Bush Administration, Iran, and (of course!) crop circles. 'nuff said. So duh, we're in no danger.

Chalk another phantasm up to the extremist UFO crowd. But I expect that from such groups as the Expolitics Institute; their stock-in-trade is a proud and utter denial of reality. A tour of their site should show you that. But again, Yahoo!News calls themselves a news organization, and passing along nonsense that is guaranteed to scare a lot of people is negligent at best.

Do I sound ticked? Damn straight I'm ticked. I am firing off a letter to Yahoo!News about this. Maybe I can convince them to talk to a real scientist first before disseminate utter bilge like this sort of story.

*Oops! I originally said it would be eight times as big, because for some reason I was thinking the radius doubled. But it really triples, and volume goes as the cube of the radius. So 3x3x3=27. That's probably big enough to see, whereas 8 times is marginal. Interestingly, I would still expect there would be at least one explosion like this per year, yet no one ever sees them! Maybe they really are hard to see, but it's hard to understand why. I'll have to look into this...

This is getting repetitive.

On the other hand, the Earth was not destroyed this time.... but next time...

If the extinction of the Human Race and all the crap we hold dear does happen on the 25th of May I'll be pissed at having taken the time to shave and brush my teeth that morning.

As he thinks this is down to the space aliens and is connected with Expolitics I've moved ths to Ufology - I previously commented on it here.

I should be in SF by then. There are worse places to watch the end of the world from, then again somewhere not on a major fault line would be preferable.

I'm sure the aliens will save us from disaster - after all, they have invested a lot of time in watching us.

Mythopoeika said:
I'm sure the aliens will save us from disaster - after all, they have invested a lot of time in watching us.
Maybe the disaster is the big event they really came to watch...

(Think of the Roman Games - watching death and disaster happen to someone else...)

Mythopoeika said:

Unless they're bored with watching the ant's nest and decide on the cosmic equivalent of pouring in a bit of petrol an dropping in a match...

rynner said:
Mythopoeika said:
Maybe the disaster is the big event they really came to watch...

(Think of the Roman Games - watching death and disaster happen to someone else...)

Nah. I'm convinced we're their genetically-modified investment, like a good crop of marijuana or opium poppies. We are in the hands of interstellar drug-dealers. 'Street' value of our various bodily secretions is sufficiently high in alien lands to justify the expense of sending a mothership here, I'm sure. 8)

the really sad part is since there been so many "boy who cries wolf " stories well probably not here the real one out of shear (who cares)

Quote:
....We see that the fragment (specific portion) is an extremely serious candidate for a collision with the Earth.... Once again, it is not at all about the end of the world but of a major catastrophe!.... The only realistic way to face a catastrophe of this magnitude - two hundred meter high waves - is solidarity between the human beings by spreading the information from one to the other, by giving simple instructions like going up the highest possible elevation....

So, in short: If you see the disaster coming, get high!

Sounds like good advice to me.

It's my birthday on May 25th.

Supposing the asteroid hit me on the head......

How fortean would THAT be 8)

*Starts paying more attention to the "I'm building a spaceship to get me off this rock" thread and wonders if there is room for a few more seats?*

Dolphin saddles anybody...get your dolphin saddles...roll up roll up. Last chance to get off earth.

I just couldn't take it any more.

I've removed the errant apostrophe from the title, as it was causing me more psychological harm than this latest portent from our very own prophet, who popped by on his way to get some more gopher-wood for his flying ark.

See if we're all still here on May 26th, shall we?

Has he got two chavs yet? both male or female...won't be able to breed, but will honour the spirit of the holy law :lol:

ProfessorF said:
I've just booked tickets to a trade show at Earl's Court in June.

i know what you mean. I've got a seriously huge deadline on may 22, which means i'm gonna be pulling all nighters all week and for what? i just hope that asteroid neither hits where i'm based or where my head office is or else all that work'll be for nothing! bleedin asteroids. there's so damn inconsiderate. why couldn't they clear it with me first whether they can go crashing into the planet or not. honestly, what's the universe coming to?

2 More interesting tidbits:

I personally have not "felt" anything for this may, as in, any major event taking place. But what I find interesting is that a friend tells me this: "I have been feeling great anticipation regarding something in May."

The second thing I wanted to point out is that there is evidently something going around the net about june 6'th. Being a fortean board, there is probably a post for this already. This information regarding an asteroid chunk tells us "end of may", which is relatively the same time around june 6'th. For the laymen, the date will read 6-6-6. Not sure if theres anything to this or not.

If a good-sized bollide so much as clips Earth's outer atmosphere (by no means a rare occurrence) on or even near May 25th, Eric Julien is going to be IMPOSSIBLE to live with for many years to come.

I'm not holding my breath over this one. Done it too many times in the past.

Back